Code of Conduct

Default Splurge Worthy? Eau de Gloire-Edition Millesimee/Cologne Blanche or Vetiver by Dior

Let me start by saying, whether a scent costs $50 or >$300, I'll pull the trigger and buy something that smells great (as long as I got the budge ) With that said, my birthday is around the corner and I am debating what I should add to my collection. However, since it's my birthday I am willing to spend a little more. (In year's past I've gifted myself Gaiac 10 by Le Labo, Windsor's original formulation, and Xerjoff Alexandria). Any thoughts on the list below or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Eau de Gloire - Edition Milliseimee - Parfum d'Empire
    Cologne Blanche - La Collection Privée by Dior (if I can locate it)
    Vetiver - La Collection Privée by Dior (if I can locate it)
    Scandal Pour Homme - Roja Dove
    Creation E - Pour Homme - Roja Dove
    Dark Saphir - Agonist
    Eight and Bob - Eight and Bob
    Last edited by Lancel; 12th February 2014 at 08:58 PM.

Default Re: Splurge Worthy? Eau de Gloire-Edition Millesimee/Cologne Blanche or Vetiver by Dior

I can speak to the two Diors, The Parfum D'Empire and Eight & Bob - all great scents IMO which I own. Can't go wrong with any. Cologne Blanche will probably be the most difficult to track down due to its rarity. It was the first in the collection I got. Whatever you decide to choose from that worthy list, I'm sure you''ll have a great birthday!

(4136)
    Last edited by hednic; 12th February 2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Splurge Worthy? Eau de Gloire-Edition Millesimee/Cologne Blanche or Vetiver by Dior

I can also speak about the two Diors. Both are excellent scents but I am a huge proponent of the vetiver. One of the nicest I have used, I was sorry to hear it was discontinued. I have not sampled or owned the rest on your list. Have a great birthday.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Thanks, Hednic! (and Mrnybluesman too) Hednic, I did find a possible lead on cologne blanche. However, it is pretty marked up so I am debating whether I should go with that or one of the others. If you had to pick a top two from the list to really consider in contention, what would you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
    Thanks, Hednic! (and Mrnybluesman too) Hednic, I did find a possible lead on cologne blanche. However, it is pretty marked up so I am debating whether I should go with that or one of the others. If you had to pick a top two from the list to really consider in contention, what would you pick?
    I'd pick the two Diors. The vetiver is truly nice as is Cologne Blanche.

(4146)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have not smelled the last 4 in the list.
    Regarding the top 3, by far my favorite is Dior Vetiver, an intense, very long lasting vetiver. The cologne blanche smelled ok, but simpler and less exciting. I have the regular Eau de Gloire, wonderful top, but then to my nose it becomes too intensely, almost unpleasantly mossy.

I think I got my Dior Vetiver last year through the NYC Dior Boutique. They didn't have it in store, but they had it shipped to me. However, if you live in NYC, you'd still have to pay the tax. I don't remember if Bergdorf Goodman or Saks carry the line. Outside of NYC, a few Saks carry the Dior exclusive, and I bet some of them still have leftover bottles of Vetiver (like perhaps the one here in Friendship heights in DC).

cacio

In an effort to help you see your way through to a personal indulgence of this sort I will throw in my two cents worth. I got really excited to see you were considering the Eau de Glorie Millesimee Coglogne pour l'hiver. Marc-Antoine Corticchiato as a perfumer has exquisite taste and several of his compositions are among my favorites. Like all of these test it first, but it looks fantastic. The Agnoist Dark Saphir also looks really good, but my experience with Agonist is they should definitely be tested as sometimes their perfumes can become a wild ride in unexpected directions. Looks really good, but test it well. I have owned Eight & Bob, tested Scandal and Cologne Blanche and I don't personally find them outstanding enough to recommend. Of course, this is all very opinionated and subjective and I recommend you decide for yourself, but if I were going to spend a larger amount of cash for something really special I would recommend one of these:

Aedes d' Venustas Iris Nazarena - nice if you like smokey grey iris - I do.
    By Killian Musk Oud- took me awhile to warm up to this, but I really like the combination of rose, woods and light musks - very masterful.
    Montecristo Masque Milano - one of the more unusual and well balanced fragrances to come out in the last year.
    Mancera Sand Aoud - Smells like a more Arabian version of L'Air du Desert Morocain by Tauer - very excellent.
    Zegna Javanese Patchouli - very excellent if you like patchouli.
    LM Parfums Hard Leather or Patchouli Boheme - both are on my birthday list!

I am going to order test sample of Eau de Glorie Millesimee - I had the original Eau de Glorie and it was nice but this one sounds extraordinary and deserves a test try for sure.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 13th February 2014 at 12:56 AM.

Dior Vetiver is the best vetiver-based fragrance I've ever tried and I've had many. It's definitely among my top favorite fragrances in general. That is what I would go with.