Code of Conduct

Default Le Male, La Nuit, BdC or ? Gift Card Burning Hole in Pocket

I don't post often since mostly use the search function since it seems like most questions have been asked and answered. Looking to add something new to the collection, but i'm at a bit of impasse. I like all 3 of the frags above and they all have lovers and haters, but what makes it difficult to gauge is I believe 2 out 3 have been reformulated (I used to be dead set on buying Le Male until I learn of this).

I think you should be able to see my wardrobe to know what I have in my collection. I'm looking to add something versatile that can be worn all year round, but definitely good for summer. Good longevity and projection - Lidg doesn't last long with my chemistry.

I guess one of the main reasons I am posting is that, while I have experience in testing the 3 above, I don't want to overlook an option that might fit what i'm looking for yet a little more interesting and unique than the choice above (less synthetic) - and my gift card won't cover Aventus so that is most likely out of the question.

Thanks for the help in advance and apologies for rambling.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Le Male, La Nuit, BdC or ? Gift Card Burning Hole in Pocket

The popular choice would be the Chanel..
    I feel La Nuit is good all year round- it is not big on projection but sillage is good..
    Le Male is a projection beast but the reformulation is terrible..
    I have all 3 but prefer La Nuit.

I'd go with BdC. It's very versatile.

You might like 1 million intense or LeMale terrible.

I think that Bleu de Chanel would be an excellent choice among those you are considering.

(4155)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Chanel blows the others out of the water in my opinion. Way more versatile as well.

Chanel out of the three you mentioned.

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like Bleu is the winner out those listed. If there are reccos outside of the ones I listed id love to hear. Thanks again

Another vote for BdC. It's the most versatile of the three. LN EDT would be my second choice.

The most versatile of the three would easily be, to me, Bleu De Chanel. Definitely recommend that if you are looking for more of a summer fragrance, but it definitely is an all year fragrance.
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

IMO, La Nuit > Le Male > BDC.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

I think BdC and La Nuit are both equally great, but if you are using a gift card at a retail store, I would def go for the Chanel since you can get the La Nuit from online discounters at a significant discount.

Quote Originally Posted by the colognnoisseur View Post
    imo, la nuit > le male > bdc.

Regards,

tc

ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Chanel blows the others out of the water in my opinion. Way more versatile as well.
    Agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I think BdC and La Nuit are both equally great, but if you are using a gift card at a retail store, I would def go for the Chanel since you can get the La Nuit from online discounters at a significant discount.
    Agree. This is also something to consider.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sinister1 View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. Looks like Bleu is the winner out those listed. If there are reccos outside of the ones I listed id love to hear. Thanks again
    Checked your wardrobe....Pure Malt or Pure Havane

La Nuit. What's with your join date? It's sinister, man

Blog Entries

Versatility, scent, compliments, performance: BdC >>>>>>>>> Le Male >>> La Nuit

Bleu by a long shot. La Nuit is, at least for me, strictly an evening fragrance...Le Male is really aggressive, and thus not as versatile, and I have smelled Le Male on way more people than I've smelled Bleu (I haven't smelled anyone wearing Bleu, despite how people knock it for being too generic and mainstream). Bleu works well in any season, and is way more versatile.

Bdc

Le Male hands down... Never smelled this on anyone in the past two years. Reformulated version is fantastic. This one is a sillage monster, and its secret is in in the application, specifically one spray only. Do enjoy the other two.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks again for the input. BdC might take this one for me. At least that's the plan - i've been known to abort the plan when the pressure is on.

As for the join date, I have no idea. Considering i'm 33, and the age of the internet, the only way I could have joined in 70 is if my dad signed up for the basenotes quarterly print newsletter (if they had such a thing).

Of those three... Bleu no contest. You might want to consider Guerlain Homme/Homme Intense (lime, mint, rum with vetiver base) which I really enjoy and Dior Homme Sport (lemon, ginger and iris... beautifully done). The latter is the most versatile of the two but both would work in most, if not every, occassion.
    Last edited by thehighend; 13th February 2014 at 11:46 PM.

I'd like to check DHS, but I didn't see it on the Neimans site (using a gift card). If they have any at the location near me I'll definitely give it a whirl.

I wouldn't consider less synthetic to be more unique. Le Male is certainly the most synthetic smelling of the 3 imo, and while it's still one of the best sellers across the world, it's not worn very often anymore. At the same time, it's the least versatile, and more or less, a night out fragrance, projects like a beast, and usually always gets compliments, if not compliments, than looks for sure. BdC I really have little experience with, and I see it's getting the most votes, because it probably smells the least synthetic of the 3, plus it's obviously the most versatile. La Nuit would be my pick though, just because it gets so many compliments. I enjoy the fragrance as well, but it's not in my top 3, I mostly wear it because it always gets me noticed, and chicks dig it. The only thing I have smelled similar to it is Guess Seductive Blue, which is almost a lighter version of it, with much less projection; other than that, it's pretty unique. But, I know a lot of people who aren't into fragrances who know what La Nuit is, it's gained so much popularity over the years, due to word of mouth, and magazines that a lot of men read, like GQ and Maxim, including samples of it, and posting articles about it. Although it feels like a night out type of scent, I think this one could be pulled off on a cool Spring day, but I wouldn't wear it in the heat, it will become too cloying.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Bdc because you cant find it discounted like anyother frag (as well as le male and la nuit) , so you might as well buy it in a department store. DHS is also a very good choice but I'd still buy Bdc IMO
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Lanuit all the way..

My first choice would be BdC, then La Nuit.

La Nuit or BDC.