Code of Conduct
    Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 13 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a super day!

Slumberhouse - Ore.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 13 February, 2014.

Hello all!

I'm sampling Nuit de Noël extrait today (a bit late, I know), still trying to find the 'key' to Caron! Wish me luck.

Hope everyone is staying warm and dry (unless you're Xscent, in which case I hope you're staying cool).

Baking hot here Saminlondon, sending lots of summer warmth your way.

Just a quick hello for now as I’m heading out for dinner. Came home to find this lovely thing waiting for me. Une Fleur de Cassie today and switching to Eva Kant tonight. I’ll catch up with you all later.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! I think we have escaped the worst of the winds
    and actually have sunshine at the moment (long may it last!)
    The river Severn is still high, however, and I hope this infernal
    rainy spell subsides soon so that business owners and farmers can get
    back to their normal lives.
    I am wearing the very comforting Ambre et Vanille by E.Coudray.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I'd gladly trade in my wintery weather (albeit mild I must admit), Xscent! And you can keep the Christmas-y spirit all to yourself, Sam!
    I'm in plenty of vintage Chergui today, which had a cold start to a sunny day.

Post Thanks / Like

'Morning
    Milano Caffè in a cloudy Milano day...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

House twins with the ever-fragrant Larimar today: Cuir Mauresque.
    Also continuing to test L'Heure Convoitée (Cartier).

Best to all.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Baking hot here Saminlondon, sending lots of summer warmth your way.

Your generosity is admirable, but please keep it for yourself - we haven't had any winter yet

Valentine's Day tomorrow will have to be geared around the next wave of gales and rain (still no snow ). Looking forward to a long weekend, though activities look like being indoor orientated - caffeine, calories, cuddles, and a medley of Mozart sounds infinitely preferable to mother nature's miserable alternative.

SotD is Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 13th February 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. Thinking of those affected by the various extreme weather events - they seem to be going on everywhere all at once.

We have a snowstorm/nor'easter currently raging out there. I am not chancing driving in it, so called out. Will catch up on laundry this morning, then put up a big batch of minestrone later on today. All done in Shalimar, of course.

Take care, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. SL Encen et Lavande decant.
    DONNA

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sampling Czech & Speake Mimosa this morning
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Steel Water by Micallef

(4170)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

I'm going to spritz on some Neroli Portofino to freshen up the Tuscan Leather still lingering from yesterday. TL is quite a longevity beast. It'll be in the high 70s today here in the land of Eternal Summer or so it seems this year.

Good morning all! I finally managed to post from home today since I still cannot get on from my work computer. Very frustrating.

I'm in Chanel 31 rue Cambon for a busy day at work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 13 February, 2014.

Eau des Îles

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, everyone!

Terry's nor'easter is just getting started in the Boston area, and I'm heading out to finally do battle with a rogue orthodontist who put a permanent retainer in my kid's mouth five years ago *without informing or discussing it with me, my husband or my kid.* It's been simmering for ages, and today they're going to make right on it. I am not nice when I am angry - even more so on behalf of my kids.

Trying to set a more positive overall tone with my fragrance choice: Amouage Jubilation XXV. The men's version sings on my skin, much more than the feminine version. Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Jubilation XXV notes: Frankincense, labdanum ciste, coriander, davana, blackberry, orange, gaicwood, rose, honey, bay, orchid, cinnamon, clove, celery seed, opoponox, patchouli, myrrh, musk, moss, atlas cedarwood, ambergris, oud, immortelle.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Go ComDiva, Go!

Nothing for me this morning but if my head stops hurting I want the Reglisse Noire. Soon, soon. I have imitrex to use for if headache gets worse, so one way or another it's going down.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all! We're expecting to remain somewhere in the vicinity of 80° here in the desert. We've yet to see winter here either, which chaps me no end. On the other hand, I am grateful to not endure what many around the world are experiencing.

I'm testing PG L'Ombre Fauve this morning. It's ambery niceties will mean I can't have it, but the test is pleasant.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbing my nose at the slush in Guerlain Mayotte, whose coconutty mimosa vibe makes me crave a Mounds bar with champagne; must skip the bubble on account of work! Also, scanning bottles that are more than 3/4 empty and planning to use up the juice before it gets too much older, particularly the splashes, of which the Mayotte is one.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

saminlondon - I am not a big fan of Caron, I only own CPUH and I have owned Yatagan before, but the feminines I always struggle with (well, except for Tabac Blond). However I absolutely LOVED Nuit de Noel in parfum when I sampled it. It definitely made an impression on me. However I do remember saturating myself with the sample, I think I poured out the entire 1 ml sample on me.
    Xscent - Oh so you're jumping on the Eva Kant bandwagon. How do you like it? It's definitely making it's way 'round these parts.
    ComDiva, please be careful out there in the cold. I've never smelled JXXV on a woman before, sounds delicious.
    jujy54 - champagne & Mounds bars, sounds delicious. I haven't properly tested Mahora yet. My small decant I had went bad before I could sample it. I hate when that happens.

From my brand new bottle...

Sandalwood by Floris

A nice 'bubble' of sandalwood...although I can still smell my Infusion d'Iris Shower Gel underneath. Oops...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Current cute constructions:
    Jujy: “Skanky wood nymph,” said about Feminite du Bois.

I'll take a serving of champagne, but upgrade my Mounds Bar to an Almond Joy ;-).

Guerlain Vol de Nuit Evasion. It's been so long since I wore this that my memory of it comes down to just one word: acceptable. Initially, my skin makes it a bit sour, but in a short time it turns toasty and friendly. Entirely acceptable as my SotD.
    Notes: Rose, peach; jasmine, iris; vanilla, amber, precious woods.

I should mention, Mr. Q saw a robin on Sunday!

No, not that one.

Not that one.

There you go.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Quarry love the pics. She's too fabulous for words and the Westwood wedding gown, wouldn't expect anything less.

Jon rain and gales is winter here but I understand your disappointment about the lack of snow. Your plan to bunker down with caffeine, calories and Mozart while it’s stormy out is my idea of bliss.

Mike congrats on the Floris! As for Eva Kant it was a gift from O’driu and since I had some kick ass heels to break in, I thought it fitting. The citrus notes have an aniseed quality to them and remind me of chinottos and sherbet lollies I use eat as a child. I don’t get much of the florals apart from some ylang and a hint of lavender. The citrus remains in the background for quite a while before amber and vanilla take over in the dry down. I enjoyed even though it’s not what I would usually go for and agree with the opinion that it would work well on a guy.

Larimar how about I’ll set you up on the sun deck and wheel the drinks trolley out to you.

Frou Frou tulips, Toulouse-Lautrec, 1950’s fashion, Paris! Gorgeous picture.

ExtremeK there is always a guest suite ready for you. I’ll put you up in the library on the fourth floor, you can wake up to sunrise views over the river. I wonder if L'Eau d’Hiver might be a good spa scent for you?

ErinK I take comfort in the three C’s, they never let me down. You and Jon sound like you all set for great couple of days in. An extra snuggle for Rockstar from me.

ComDiva I’m just speechless, good luck at the orthodontist.

Danieq no ticket necessary just swan on over and take a seat. I’ve repurposed a huge antique leather topped early Victorian library desk as my dining table. The beast sits 12 so plenty of room for all.

Had a lovely catch up with friends at a little jazz lounge that does hand cut chips cooked in duck fat with truffle mayo. OMG! Yes, Please and Thank You. Just to round off a great night, my lovely neighbour dropped off another package with this inside. Just a small spritz of Apres L’Ondee tonight as well. Take care everyone.

Last edited by Xscent; 13th February 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Houbigant, Aperçu, tea and Prada.
    My new glasses are here! I am wearing them to get used to them, but they are so light! I can't believe it! There is a new lens material out, with a much higher refraction, and oh my! My new glasses are about half the weight of my old ones!!!!

''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SotD - Chergui by Serge Lutens (from yuyu15's sample, thanks!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello friends. How are you all? Good I hope, and being good? Hmm? Well,on second thoughts never mind the being good, just as long as you are all OK.

I haven't been around very much at all for a while now. (I probably haven't even introduced myself to our newer people.) Our family have had a very sad situation (no need to respond, please) and I haven't had time to be here. I have read you all sometimes though, and I have been enjoying your posts, and I have still been taking refuge in fragrance.

So, I have loads to do. I don't have many new fragrances, if any?! But there is lots that I want to do. There are samples queuing up, Ormonde Jayne, Atelier Cologne, and I am "relaunching" with the help of Oriza L Legrand, which is great because they are so intriguing and they are making me engage my head as well as my nose!

And of course whatI really want is to come back to cause some mischief!! So watch out!!!

Oh! Scent of the day........

Oriza L Legrand Déjà le Printemps and Jardin D'Armide.

Take care everyone,

F

Foustie, glad to see you're back.
    Looking forward to the mischief.
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 13th February 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Xscent, will you believe I was choosing between either the tulips in Paris (love that dash of yellow) and the Jacques Fath which I now realise is your avatar!!!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Foustie, glad to see you're back.
    It's so nice to see you too.

Foustie, Yes, I have been away far too long too. I had something bad to deal with too. I do feel very bad about it because I was to host a blind sniff and I just dropped out, and then I didn't dare to come back, so there you are.... Or here I am...
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Bright Leaf by Murdock

Xscent, well I am positioning myself in a comfy deck chair all ready to sip cocktails, champagne (it's a common drink here today it seems)... almost everything in fact. . I will add to the leisure time summer feeling by applying Tihota from a large decant. Will I be handsome and fragrant enough for you sun deck? ^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gres-Cabochard
    'Hard-headed' in French.
    I'm wearing the vintage parfum.
    This is an ivory-billed woodpecker
    believed extinct until sighted in Florida
    in 2004.

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon. Yes! Finally in the Reglisse Noire.

Kumquat, we have lots of varieties of woodpeckers in Florida - we have more bird species than almost anywhere - but usually we see either the "big" or "little" woodpeckers, as we call them - Pileated and Red-Bellied, respectively. Pileated are big and have a big ol' crest of red on their heads. The Red-Bellied woodpeckers have (round) red heads, not red bellies...So cute, black and white bars all down their backs.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm all a-wiggle to see you Foustie.

Hard-headed? I had no idea that was a translation for Cabochard.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everybody, and a special hi to (((Foustie))). Good to see you! And cello, aren't you smelling divine? That was my SOTD yesterday. You and I are most definitely scent sisters!

Froufrou, such a pretty picture of your table and new glasses! I know you are so relieved to have them.

I had a perfume dream last night. I was in a boutique that sold lovely handknit sweaters, totes, tiny knitting kits (they were adorable) etc, and had a little perfume section as well. I must have had Iris Prima (which I have never sniffed) on the brain last night because that is what I requested to try. The SA sprayed it on a little white handkerchief and stuffed it in my face. It smelled lovely but she wouldn't spray it on my skin so I wasn't buying.

Anyway today I'm sampling current No. 19 edp against vintage No. 19. My impressions: the top notes are where the biggest difference lies. Vintage opens sharp, bitter, mossy, and herbal, whereas the current starts off more ladylike, fresher, and even a bit sweet in comparison as it is missing that chypre sharpness of the vintge. Iris is noticeable right off the bat in the current edp. In first 30 minutes or so they are like identical twin sisters that you can still tell apart mostly by their unique styles: one is pretty and polished, the other is edgier with a sharper tongue. An hour or so in they are nearly idential; the main difference I can detect is current is slightly less mossy and bitter; it's like some of sharp edges of the vintage have been rounded off and polished. I maybe like the vintage slightly more for its edge in the oakmoss department, but all in all and I can't complain at all about this purchase.
    Last edited by ErinK; 13th February 2014 at 06:09 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I'm sampling Nuit de Noël extrait today (a bit late, I know), still trying to find the 'key' to Caron!

Larimar has hidden the key as he wants all the extrait for himself. He may lend it to you if you bribe him with a bottle of burgundy, but I wouldn't bank on it . He may have even changed the locks by now .

SotE - Carlos Santana For Men.

Sock it to 'em, ComDiva

(((Foustie)))
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 13th February 2014 at 05:03 PM.

I will be generous, Jon, and leave the Noel thing to Sam, although a bottle or two of a nice burgundy would certainly help... *innocent look*
    Forgot to welcome back dear Foustie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, big smoochies back to you Larimar, xxxxx, and thank you everyone.

Oriza L Legrand Chypre Mousse tonight. I would recommend that you get a hold of the sample set if you can guys. It costs buttons.These are very interesting.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You go, ComDiva! We've gotten heavy snow all day. The three of us all went out to snowblow and shovel to reduce the total we'll have to deal with later. We've removed 6-7 inches already and still it comes....

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frou Frou, a lovely scene with cup and pot--beautiful items.
    Now, no more dog shaming, rascal pup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://boisdejasmin.com/2005/11/frag...revie_3-3.html

In this review they also use the terms 'head strong' and 'stubborn' when referring to 'Cabochard'.

I guess I could have used a picture of a mule or a honey badger.
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th February 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon all. I had time this morning before an appointment to pop into Neiman Marcus, where a kind and lovely saleslady showed me the Hermes lineup. So I am wearing Kelly Caleche EDT on one arm and Voyage d'Hermes on another. And then, squeezed in on one wrist is a squirt of Nasomotto Narcotic Venus, because I liked the bottle. The Narcotic Venus turns out to be quite nice, but the price is ... not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Evening all, & welcome back dear Foustie!

FrouFrou; lovely pic! Do keep your precious new specs safe from naughty doggies, won't you?

We had a little respite here from the nasty weather today, but it's due back again tomorrow. Xscent, l'll take some of that warm & sultry weather whenever you like!

l wore Sheer Obsession for work today, Vanillary this evening. On my return home this evening, Mr teardrop presented me with a beautiful Valentine card & a dozen yellow roses. He wanted me to have them tonight as l'll be off early to work in the morning. So lovely to have flowers in the colour of spring, l'll take that over red any day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Congrats on the fbs, Mike and Xscent.

Where is twolf?

Flora Nymphea Guerlain.

Edit, that was nice of Mr. Teardrop,.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Hednic, what a gorgeous bottle!

Mocha, time well used! I still haven't gone to the Neiman Marcus (around the corner)
    What I did do just now is pick up my Balmain de Balmain extrait from Germany at the post office, so
    SotA (Scent of the afternoon) is:
    Balmain de Balmain extrait.

ErinK, Quarry, teardrop, the table is pure coincidence, I had just made tea, got a phone call, rushed over to get my glasses, got home, unpacked, made a photo. And the glasses will be kept in the box in a drawer at night!

Now I really need to get back to work!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Foustie - welcome back ((bear hugs)) - I've never even heard of that line of fragrances
    Xscent - your neighbor gave you a bottle of ALO? Wow! I love chinotto's there's a Thierry Mugler scent with that note in it also. Sort of like Campari
    Frou Frou - luv the new frames & good luck with the bottle with the broken atomizer
    Quarry - I never liked Vol de Nuit Evasion either & I tried it several times. Totally bores me.
    Erink - thanks for the No. 19 comparisons. I was just discussing that scent last night with a guy who does makeup for Chanel, I told him I wore No. 19 and he said he'd never smelled it, so I sprayed some on him & he liked it (vintage EdC). He really liked the Antaeus also.

I went home for work, I had to let the exterminator in, so I had a leisurely lunch and sprayed on (from my samples gifted to me when I bought my BOTTLE OF SOVA!!!):

Vikt by Slumberhouse

I remember it now. Like the most wonderful black licorice wheels you've ever eaten. It has that hit of molasses and wood that is addictive, savory and ink-like.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Foustie - welcome back ((bear hugs)) - I've never even heard of that line of fragrances
    Xscent - your neighbor gave you a bottle of ALO? Wow! I love chinotto's there's a Thierry Mugler scent with that note in it also. Sort of like Campari
    Mike my neighbour collected the ALO and holding it for me. I didn't want the package sitting in the courtyard while I was at work. The Italian side of the family drink chinotto and Campari like it's going of fashion (as do I, love the stuff).

Hi Foustie!!! Welcome back.

Frou Frou I would believe it! Along with Dior and Balmain they defined postwar glamour, the haute couture of that period is just divine. Love the glasses and the tea cup.

kalli

Mocha the heady tuberose and jasmine in Narcotic Venus is really lovely. It's a shame Nasomatto disco'd Nuda that was my favourite jasmine. I price is a bit scary but given it's an extrait in concentration it's on par with others (in case you needed some enabling ).

Post Thanks / Like

Late posting today; in fact, I'm posting this from my yoga studio. Practice starts in 10 minutes

I gave Bois d'Iris another go today -- it's really lovely but still very fleeting on me. I refreshed (liberally) 3 times today, but it's still nearly gone. Xscent, this might actually be a good spa fragrance, it's so light on me. L'Eau d'Hiver is wonderful but a little sweeter than I want for the spa Only 16 days left! Woo hoo!

I'm so glad you're loving the new specs, Frou Frou! They're fabulous!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Current cute constructions:
    Jujy: “Skanky wood nymph,” said about Feminite du Bois.

I'll take a serving of champagne, but upgrade my Mounds Bar to an Almond Joy ;-).
    Thanks, Q! Re: upgrade: butbutbutbut...Almond Joy is milk chocolate, how is that anything but a lateral move, unless there is a dark choclate AJ, in which I say, "about time!"

SOTN is still Mayotte, which is reminding me a bit of Diorella tonight. Both are big, fruity, and florat, but tonight I noticed the allure of garbage in Mayotte. Probably because I slathered it on. Newly empty-nested, I'm smellin' up my joint (;
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sampling Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki tonight
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Very late posting today. Wore Carthusia perfumo Via Camerelle; The freshness of lemon and bitter orange combined with notes of musk and cedar wood create a fragrance that celebrates the sea & flowers.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Season 6 of Mad Men, it's getting cold here tonight (supposed to get in the 40's!). Before bed, I'll put on some:

Kus Kus by Bourbon French Perfumes

image.jpg

This scent always makes me think of my BN gals (Quarry, rtamar41 & Lilybelle). NoLa in a bottle.

-- Jack Kerouac

MikePerez, I brought a bottle as well in Nola, I took it with me on a trip to san Fransisco, as it is one of my comfort scents, and works in hot and cold weather, but the cushion thingy inside the top was damaged, and it leaked a quarter of the juice inside my bag on the flight.
    My bag still smells lovely though

Enjoying the Santana before going to bed...
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com