Code of Conduct

Default Fragonard: Le grand parfumeur de Grasse

I'm going to be discovering this line today. I've researched previous threads on this house, but was hoping to get your present impressions on Fragonard.

Do they have a compositional signature to their fragrances? Which ones in your opinion stand out from the lot? Has anyone tried any of the recent releases from the past two years? Has anyone visited their site in Grasse?

Default Re: Fragonard: Le grand parfumeur de Grasse

Have an extensive collection of 23 Fragonards including their two most recent releases, Confidentiel and Toujours Fidele. IMO the standouts are:

Siecle
    Eau de Hongrie
    Eau Frivole
    Magellan
    Cyprien
    Suivez Moi

(4171)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have an extensive collection of 23 Fragonards
    Thanks for the reply Hednic.

I was pleased to see that they offered high quality artisan/terroir fragrances which contain an elegance commonly found in products approved by royal seal. The fact that they're "from the land" in Grasse, is the only way I can think that they could afford to offer such high quality at such low prices - which range in the 30$US/100ml ballpark. That's bananas!

Here are the ones which stood out of the lot IMHO:

Men:

Désert: This was the one I was most looking forward to according to its' notes. It's a fresh oud in the same range as CK Encounter or Royal Oud, which isn't much my cup of tea. As many have noted in the reviews, the tobacco note does pleasantly stand out in this composition.

Confidentiel: Was love at first whiff. It has a pepper/incense/cedar trifecta which immediately reminded me of Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons. FSU92grad has a great description of it in the reviews section.

Eau de Hongrie: This one has the Hednic seal of approval and I can see why. Purporting to be a 14th century composition this cologne demonstrates no signs of age. It's a great distinguished scent which would blow any of the modern day "freshies" out of the water.

Women

Belle de Nuit Intense: I'm a sucker for tuberose, and this one is done just right.

Diamant: A noble version of Angel for grown ups.

Unisex

Patchouli: Surprised me with an M7 like opening, minus the cherry (ironically I caught that distinction right away because M7 was my SOTD). It quickly within 15 minutes dries to a skin scent that releases a green/chocolate waft of patchouli. A little disappointed to the performance considering it's initial opening, but might be to consider for those who like the Hermessence line.
    Last edited by Arij; 14th February 2014 at 02:12 PM.

In the UK some of the brand are now in Marks and Spencer and not expensive.

I bought the Grain de Soleil when there was 20% off it last year. A very nice soft warm oriental.
    DONNA

Thanks for this Arij, and thanks Donna. I'll keep an eye out at M&S.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I'll keep an eye out at M&S.
    They also offer sample kits for under 12€, available from their website, if you want to wrap your nose around their fragrances.

With all the talk about suporting the little guy around here as of late, this is one of the houses which deserves more recognition.

OK Arij. I do love a discovery set, thanks for that.

Oh good, I'm glad to see a Fragonard discussion, I feel like they aren't talked about much! Good selection of fragrances at extremely reasonable prices. I haven't been to the factory in Grasse, but I have been to their little perfume museum/boutique in Paris near the Opera Garnier. It's free to get into, and they give you your own little personal tour that ends in their shop, where you can sample to your heart's content.

I haven't really tried their men's fragrances (except Beau Gosse, which I did not like). They did have some women's fragrances I liked. I bought a little bottle of Émilie (violets and roses, pretty, slightly sweet, a bit of an old-fashioned vibe), and I also liked Belle de Nuit and the one that is just called Fragonard. Diamant would also be good if you are a fan of Angel (I'm not so much). Jasmin Perle de Thé was a decent jasmine tea scent, not the most innovative tea scent in the world but decent. I think I smelled some others, but those are the ones I remember best. I'd like to sample more sometime.

I've been wearing Zizanie since the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by songeuse View Post
    Oh good, I'm glad to see a Fragonard discussion, I feel like they aren't talked about much! Good selection of fragrances at extremely reasonable prices. I haven't been to the factory in Grasse, but I have been to their little perfume museum/boutique in Paris near the Opera Garnier. It's free to get into, and they give you your own little personal tour that ends in their shop, where you can sample to your heart's content.
    That museum and boutique you mention located at 9 Rue Scribe close to the Opera is the place where I was first introduced to this house many years ago. The boutique there is indeed a great place to shop not only for their fragrances but also for related soaps etc.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Personally prefer Fleur de Vanille and Desert.