Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default EC Looks to Ban Three Fragrance Ingredients

PARIS — Fragrance formulation might become more complex very soon.

The European Commission (EC) said Thursday it intends to prohibit the use of three ingredients in...

I dont have access to the rest of the article on wwd.com but

the ingredients which the EC wants to ban are Coumarin, Citral and Eugenol. I think that would be catastrophic for the industry IMO.

Default Re: EC Looks to Ban Three Fragrance Ingredients

Huh. Here it says eugenol fights cancer.: http://odishasuntimes.com/27129/tuls...-fight-cancer/

If this prohibition of notes continue I fear for what the future has in store for fragrances.

Making it difficult for us folks.

Basenotes Plus

Reuters have more info. - it's just more of the never-ending restrictions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0LI4BQ20140213
    Last edited by lpp; 13th February 2014 at 07:12 PM.

It seems like each year they find something else to pick on and add to the controversy.

(4181)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Are there any organizations that fight back against these groups that are banning these ingredients? You would think the fragrance industry would lobby heavily against them. I noticed it said the European Commission is banning them. Does that mean what is also sold in the states??

Basenotes Plus

There are so many threads on this subject, jarrodrocks.

The E.U. Regulations are frequently discussed here.

These links provide some information on the problems currently faced.

http://www.ctpa.org.uk/content.aspx?pageid=303

http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/standar...x?pageid=303FQ
    Last edited by lpp; 13th February 2014 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There are so many threads on this subject, jarrodrocks.

The E.U. Regulations are frequently discussed here.

These links provide some information on the problems currently faced.

http://www.ctpa.org.uk/content.aspx?pageid=303

http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/standar...x?pageid=303FQ
    Thanks for the info

Basenotes Plus

You're welcome, jarrodrocks - the consumer doesn't appear to have any influence on this, other than by purchasing non-compliant goods....

BCan someone humor me with an answer to something I've been think g about...I don't keep up with these things and am fairly ignorant to how it really works.

Do houses have to go by regulations? Or is it more of a lets just conform type thing. Is it illegal for someone to sell a fragrance with a 'banned' material even if the house is not a big name brand? Is the actual ingredient illegal to buy for the house itself?

I'm trying to wrap my head around why someone would just be able to buy a fragrance with oak moss, knowing that it hasn't passed regulations.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Reuters have more info. - it's just more of the never-ending restrictions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0LI4BQ20140213
    This article angered me. What a bunch of ugly f##king nonsense!

Basenotes Plus

@ aphexacid - In EU countries, non-compliance leads to problems marketing a product or probably defending a court case brought by someone whose life has been totally ruined by wearing a non-compliant product...but it's perfectly fine over here to sell peanuts

Food is far less regulated than cosmetics here.

The ingredients being used are increasingly produced by very large manufacturers, with the trend being towards the use of synthetics - some of those are also increasingly regulated.

Houses which are IFRA members comply with the standards issued by the IFRA.

Quote from IFRA website
    The IFRA Standards form the basis for the globally accepted and recognized risk management system for the safe use of fragrance ingredients and are part of the IFRA Code of Practice.

This is the self-regulating system of the industry, based on risk assessments carried out by an independent Expert Panel.

So, consumers have choices - but producers have an increasingly difficult time producing non-compliant products within, or for sale in, the E.U. whether or not they are IFRA members.

Restricted ingredients are still available for purchase here.
    Last edited by lpp; 13th February 2014 at 10:18 PM.

just put a fuc***g warning label mofos. Prohibiting such fundamental ingredients would just destroy the fragrance industry.

LOL at this tidbit in the article :

Since its creation in 1973, IFRA, which is financed by scent makers such as Givaudan, New York-listed International Flavors & Fragrances and Germany's Symrise, has restricted natural ingredients for a range of health reasons, from worries about allergies to cancer concerns.

So ban natural ingredients man has been using for centuries and replace them with "safe synthetics" produced by Givaudan or other companies lol. I smell bullshit.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 13th February 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post

So ban natural ingredients man has been using for centuries and replace them with "safe synthetics" produced by Givaudan or other companies lol. I smell bullshit.
    Me too. It's just another way for them to grow their business. It's the same for farmers who have to buy their seeds from the big agriculture seed manufacturer. My question is; does a US based company like Sonoma scent studio have to comply? Can they just release one version in the US and another in the EU?

They might as well place an ad on ebay saying "buy up all the vintage fragrances you can now because they won't ever be available again!" LOL.

Lol......It would make everything I have vintage and I own zero vintage. On the positive side, our wardrobe value would increase.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    The "idiotic leftist" part is precisely correct.
    What on earth are you people talking about? What's 'leftist' about it?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Me too. It's just another way for them to grow their business. It's the same for farmers who have to buy their seeds from the big agriculture seed manufacturer. My question is; does a US based company like Sonoma scent studio have to comply? Can they just release one version in the US and another in the EU?
    Non IFRA members in the U.S.A.do not have to comply in respect of items sold outside the E.U.

Economically it might not make sense to release different versions for sale in the E.U. - people here will presumably be attracted by reputation to non-compliant products so there would be little benefit in making them compliant.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post

Absolutely nothing in terms of the overall representation in the EU (which was predominantly centre right last time I looked) - it's just people politicising this thread - presumably in an attempt to have it closed.

We will comply with the Code of Conduct within all threads here please.
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/92-...ct-for-Members
    Last edited by lpp; 13th February 2014 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries

It makes no sense that it is an organization supported by the manufacturers- to police themselves. Along with other competitors, of course. I suppose that is intended to drive the independents away. This isn't even a government organization though, as near as I can tell. I don't understand why they have authority.

Basenotes Plus

IFRA members comply with IFRA rules - everyone over here in the E.U. is subject to the local law whether IFRA members or not.

What happened before 1973 before the IFRA was established? Were emergency rooms being flooded with people who were exposed to too much oak moss or any of the over 100 other substances( many natural and used for many years) they have banned? What company would want to poison their customer? The issue I have with the IFRA is that their success is directly related to banning substances. It keeps them relevant and necessary. A real conflict of interest in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

Basenotes Plus

Well, here's a link to an IFRA news post about the proposed EU regulations.
    http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/press-r...5#.Uv1gtHna5FQ

My purchases these days are from Indie outfits as that choice remains open to me - but views do differ on the subject.

I try not to overreact to things like this. But this seems, in itself, to be an extreme overreaction by the European Commission, or maybe by IRFA, and I don't understand why no middle way has been considered. The potential of a substance to be an allergen affecting a small amount of people doesn't seem to result in bans in any other context.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    ...My question is; does a US based company like Sonoma scent studio have to comply?
    From the Nombre Noire thread over a week ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    ... in California, the state legislature passed SB 484 to establish the California Safe Cosmetics Act of 2005. Almost all the organized lobbying against the passage of that bill was done by Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) and
    Fragrance Materials Association (FMA). I wonder whether a hue and cry from consumers of these products would have changed anything.

Adding: There's a summary of the law in plain language on this website: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/cosm...s/default.aspx
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374978-Nombre-Noir
    Sonoma Scent Studios is required to comply with the CA law when selling in CA. I'm unsure whether it also applies to everything they manufacture in CA. Maybe one of the perfumers in CA who post on basenotes knows more about the regulations here.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 14th February 2014 at 01:16 AM.

Nothing new. Governments and non-governmental regulatory agencies main purpose is to increase control and power. Their stated reason for existence comes second.

First they came...

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    What happened before 1973 before the IFRA was established? Were emergency rooms being flooded with people who were exposed to too much oak moss or any of the over 100 other substances( many natural and used for many years) they have banned? What company would want to poison their customer? The issue I have with the IFRA is that their success is directly related to banning substances. It keeps them relevant and necessary. A real conflict of interest in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.
    Ditto.

And then there are these excerpts from the reuters article.

The European Commission on Thursday proposed tighter regulation of the $31 billion fragrance industry with a series of bans, labelling requirements and research projects aimed at protecting consumers from allergies.

"We have to find a way of ensuring security of consumers but also avoid causing damage to the industry," said a spokesman for Neven Mimica, European Commissioner for Consumer Safety.

Hey Neven and the EC -- FUCK YOU!
    I'm sorry for being crass, but this sends my blood pressure into the stroke danger zone.
    I believe in personal accountability and personal responsibility. I'm a big boy. If I want to put oakmoss, birch tar, eugenol, linalool, citra etc. on my skin, so be it. I don't need some Big Brother like agency looking out for me. Protecting us from allergies. Allergies? Really!! Security of consumers. Bullshit! Give me a break. This isn't about protecting us. This is about control. JMO.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps if Europeans showered more frequently they would not need to use so much fragrance! Just kidding, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Ditto.

And then there are these excerpts from the reuters article.

The European Commission on Thursday proposed tighter regulation of the $31 billion fragrance industry with a series of bans, labelling requirements and research projects aimed at protecting consumers from allergies.

"We have to find a way of ensuring security of consumers but also avoid causing damage to the industry," said a spokesman for Neven Mimica, European Commissioner for Consumer Safety.

Hey Neven and the EC -- FUCK YOU!
    I'm sorry for being crass, but this sends my blood pressure into the stroke danger zone.
    I believe in personal accountability and personal responsibility. I'm a big boy. If I want to put oakmoss, birch tar, eugenol, linalool, citra etc. on my skin, so be it. I don't need some Big Brother like agency looking out for me. Protecting us from allergies. Allergies? Really!! Security of consumers. Bullshit! Give me a break. This isn't about protecting us. This is about control. JMO.
    I could not have said it better myself. Perhaps it is time to boycot or start a consumer movement. I have not purchased a fragrance yet this year and may not all year except from independant American Perfumers. I think it may be time to insist on labeling rather than banning, and letting the big companies know that we are not amused and will take our cash away from them and send it to independants and outlaw perfumers.
    Last edited by Akahina; 14th February 2014 at 02:48 AM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

F*** the fragrance police!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I think it may be time to insist on labeling rather than banning, and letting the big companies know that we are not amused and will take our cash away from them and send it to independants and outlaw perfumers.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Hit them in their pocketbooks. That might cause them to fight back against these bureaucratic bastards!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

When you go to the main page of the IFRA you would conclude that they are an organization who's goal is to better the fragrance industry as well as the artistic freedoms of the perfumers. The real truth is the exact opposite. Very misleading website...

Ultimately human nature prevails - you set up a 'scientific regulatory body to study and isolate potentially harmful ingredients' and it becomes an unstoppable train. At what point do you think the scientists on the payroll and the admin people on the periphery are going to say 'okay, we're done here, let's pack up the lab and we'll all go and look for new jobs'?

The major damage has already been done - the chypre and fougere are extinct, no matter what people might say in press materials, and apart from a few major companies who can afford direct contracts with growers and offer perfumes with some individuality, and some artisanal indies who choose to ignore the regulations entirely, everyone is drinking from the same well - it's now down to the majors (Givaudan, IFF, Symrise et al) competing for the brands business at the synthetic aromachemical 'captive molecule' level.

When you go to the main page of the IFRA you would conclude that they are an organization who's goal is to better the fragrance industry as well as the artistic freedoms of the perfumers. The real truth is the exact opposite. Very misleading website...
    Amen! You can say that again.
    The fragrance industry should tell them to go pound sand...

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    Hit them in their pocketbooks. That might cause them to fight back against these bureaucratic bastards!
    +1

For enthusiasts like us, we are the niche market. I haven't bought a designer in 2 years. They need us like cardi needs liver pills

Blog Entries

They might just 'exclude' themselves out of the perfume business altogether. Who's going to buy the dry-cleaning fluid they pump out when this carnage is complete- if ever?

Is it me or is it getting very warm in here? Lol

If we're going to riot, can we not do it on a Friday please? Fridays are really hectic for me. Or at least give me a few weeks notice.

Basenotes Plus

I personally think it's a huge farce; a way for the big boys to reformulate to be 'in compliance" when they are simply looking out for their bottom line.
    After all, you don't hear of groups organizing to ban farmers from growing peanuts. Lots of press about peanut allergies, if they were to follow the same logic, peanut farmers would be prohibited from "producing" peanuts.
    There are loads of allergens in the world wide market; in foods, cleaning products, heck…even fuels. No one is jumping up & down saying stop the production of gasoline, it causes headaches.
    What a bunch of hypocrites!
    No, the truth is much more straightforward, it's about money and it always was/is.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

RHM- Amen to that! I have cats. I know about a zillion people who are allergic to the dander. Are we cat-owners posing a danger to the public at large? Maybe we should be in quarantine. After all, I'm covered in cat dander. It follows me wherever I go. I'm sure I must make people miserable. I'm a public nuisance!

Maybe the "oversprayers club" has the right idea. Give 'em an inch, they take a mile.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be sufficient for a scent manufacturer to state on the label "Avoid skin contact"?. They've then provided adequate warning to the consumer, can put whatever unregulated material they like into it to produce a great scent, and it's up to the end user where they choose to apply the juice....

They still make cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I personally think it's a huge farce; a way for the big boys to reformulate to be 'in compliance" when they are simply looking out for their bottom line.
    After all, you don't hear of groups organizing to ban farmers from growing peanuts. Lots of press about peanut allergies, if they were to follow the same logic, peanut farmers would be prohibited from "producing" peanuts.
    There are loads of allergens in the world wide market; in foods, cleaning products, heck…even fuels. No one is jumping up & down saying stop the production of gasoline, it causes headaches.
    What a bunch of hypocrites!
    No, the truth is much more straightforward, it's about money and it always was/is.
    I never thought of it that way. You very well could be right.
    Absolutely disgusting, if true.

Either way, the second sentence of post 35 still applies.

Boycotts won't make any difference. With the deluge of releases every year some go after a season or two, and as something like 70% of brands have their stuff made by the IFRA member aromachem majors you only recourse is to seek out indies or start wearing patchouli oil again (that did, at least, seem to have some influence on the industry back in the 70's)

The companies, on the whole, don't factor people who frequent basenotes as their target market - they know that there's a new generation leavng high school every year who don't know any better and they figure your average buyer who has been wearing perfume XYZ for years isn't going to really notice gradual changes over the years.

Thierry Wasser at Guerlain is the one perfumer who has been vocal about this, Frederic Malle has also weighed in a bit, but the industry has remained strangely silent on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    This article angered me. What a bunch of ugly f##king nonsense!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    The issue I have with the IFRA is that their success is directly related to banning substances. It keeps them relevant and necessary. A real conflict of interest in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ... it's now down to the majors (Givaudan, IFF, Symrise et al) competing for the brands business at the synthetic aromachemical 'captive molecule' level.
    The advances in Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry, which can practically break the code of any fragrance, and the lack of patenting of formulas in perfumery - obliged these pharmaceutical oligarchs to find a way to "protect themselves" by patenting synthetics and tailor-made molecular distillations of naturals.

The ruse is up. The Emperor has no clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Is it me or is it getting very warm in here? Lol

If we're going to riot, can we not do it on a Friday please? Fridays are really hectic for me. Or at least give me a few weeks notice.
    LOL

Maybe it will turn into the Basenotes Spring...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Boycotts won't make any difference. With the deluge of releases every year some go after a season or two, and as something like 70% of brands have their stuff made by the IFRA member aromachem majors you only recourse is to seek out indies or start wearing patchouli oil again (that did, at least, seem to have some influence on the industry back in the 70's) The companies, on the whole, don't factor people who frequent basenotes as their target market - they know that there's a new generation leavng high school every year who don't know any better and they figure your average buyer who has been wearing perfume XYZ for years isn't going to really notice gradual changes over the years.Thierry Wasser at Guerlain is the one perfumer who has been vocal about this, Frederic Malle has also weighed in a bit, but the industry has remained strangely silent on the whole.
    So if you are powerless you will accept mediocrity? Good for you. Not for me. I will not roll over and play dead and I will not give them my money. There is a saying that "the squeeky wheel gets the greese." I intend on squeeking.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

This is so annoying! Instead of banning all of these compounds, they should just put allergy warning labels on the boxes.

The regulations have gotten consistently stronger for twenty years. Not hard to smell the difference. There's a reason everything's gotten so sweet. It covers up everything that could be there in order to make it a lot more interesting. Based upon 99.9% of the crap made today it's obviously not far away. Even the simple little things like Aventus will be attenuated to nothing. Might as well destroy it all. People want to kill the animals. They want to kill good perfume. Two of the greatest things on the planet. Who needs it.

People here don't do anything but bitch about it as if they're powerless. Speak out, man ! Write these f-ckers ! Write the perfume companies ! It's easier and a hell of a lot more effective than you can even imagine. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." It's a fact, and it's easy. The perfume industry is total chaos. It needs people to tell them what to do. I write these idiots all the time. Tell the dip shits what you want. You'll never do it. You're afraid. Lazy. Don't care. Think it doesn't matter. Think you have no power.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th February 2014 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The regulations have gotten consistently stronger for twenty years. Not hard to smell the difference. There's a reason everything's gotten so sweet. It covers up everything that could be there in order to make it a lot more interesting. Based upon 99.9% of the crap made today it's obviously not far away. Even the simple little things like Aventus will be attenuated to nothing. Might as well destroy it all. People want to kill the animals. They want to kill good perfume. Two of the greatest things on the planet. Who needs it.People here don't do anything but bitch about it as if they're powerless. Speak out, man ! Write these f-ckers ! Write the perfume companies ! It's easier and a hell of a lot more effective than you can even imagine. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." It's a fact, and it's easy. The perfume industry is total chaos. It needs people to tell them what to do. I write these idiots all the time. Tell the dip shits what you want. You'll never do it. You're afraid. Lazy. Don't care. Think it doesn't matter. Think you have no power.
    Absolutely! One letter equals a hundred or more consumers!!! WRITE. One arguemnt is we are a small part of consumers and don't matter. Another arguement is to keep quiet hecause basenotes comes up in google searches. Stop being sheep and speak up. Write well crafted letters (not email) to these companies. We do matter. Our opinions do count. If you don't speak up your opinion certainly will not count and all your bitching and moaning will be nothing more than the meaningless whimper of a defeated wimp. Man up.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

So if you are powerless you will accept mediocrity? Good for you.
    I said a boycott won't make any difference. I really don't think it will for the reasons I gave - but if you can find enough people to stop buying enough stuff for anyone to even notice, then go for it. How? Get everyone on basenotes not to buy anything that's made at Givaudan, IFF, Symrise and the other majors?

I don't accept mediocrity, BTW - I'm selective. I just don't buy most of the shit that's out there . . . so in that sense I have probably been boycotting all along come to think of it. Whatever.

The EU - of which I am a citizen - seems intent on reducing some of its member states to third world levels of energy poverty (except for nuclear France, and the newly coal-fired Germany), and making the citizens smell very average at the same time.

I recollect George Stigler's law of regulation, where the regulators are captured and regulations are operated for the prime benefit of those being regulated. At the end of the day, only the big players in the game can stay easily in the game with the constant shifting of goal posts - setting up barriers to entry to new players.

Anyhow, look at the bright side, in 15 or 20 years time, even the currently dud scents in our current collections may smell better than anything else around. We may well clean up big time on Ebay.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    They still make cigarettes.
    Right, so pretty soon the only way to experience a good tobacco scent will be to get a friend to blow smoke into your hair, since cigarettes will remain as dangerous and as available as ever !

Basenotes Plus

So if you are powerless you will accept mediocrity? Good for you. Not for me. I will not roll over and play dead and I will not give them my money. There is a saying that "the squeeky wheel gets the greese." I intend on squeeking.

Please keep the squeaking civilised & avoid directing it at other members - opinions on every issue will vary and we all have the ability to discuss issues sensibly.
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/92-...ct-for-Members

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Controlling free enterprise, protecting the sensitive who may be offended by these ingredients, destroying tradition in the name of progress, forcing all comrades to smell the same for the greater good of the socialist cause, etc

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed that they do not regulate bottle/packaging colour and didn't abolish gender specification yet.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 14th February 2014 at 10:56 AM.

Right -- Enough is Enough

I'm going to get a second mortgage and stock up with thousands of fragrances and live in a cabin in the woods.

I am going to become a 'Fragrance Survivalist'

My thoughts on the subject:

Many of the posters assessments are correct.

It has never really been about allergens, allergies or rashes that some 'may' get by using a product. (Quit using it then).

It is only a 'guise of protecting' the users and public (from themselves). A contrived and compelling, although faulty reason, { to ban items} that many can and do agree with and also willingly comply. Who wants to see others ill from using a perfume? Common sense doesn't prevail here. "We're here to protect you" {rofl}.

Slapping a 'rare and protected species' label on the easily sustainable (and not so rare) raw ingredients ensures greater compliance through the back door. As does raising prices sky high for those raw ingredients.

Many perfumers will comply with all the regs and not create different versions for each country, which would be a costly adventure. If you have noticed, shipping perfumes between countries is very stringent, especially overseas shipping which has been severely curtailed. Also the 'import and export' license and fees to do business are outrageous!

He who has the gold rules. Someone(s) got the monopoly of a lifetime. Where else will perfumers go to find substitutes to produce their creative endeavours? Captive audience.

Always...just follow the money.
    Last edited by Meow7; 14th February 2014 at 02:58 PM.

I feel that we (basenotes members) have more power than you may think. We may take fragrances more seriously than the average consumer, but we also purchase much, much more than the average consumer. The average person won't own 50+ perfumes. We may not be able to stop the IFRA but we can support the fragrances that don't follow their rules which will in turn create more options in the niche market.