Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Thumbs up Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    It's an Abercrombie an Fitch Fierce clone of course, but it happens to be the best one. Fierce ha the distinction of being the most expensive cologne with the cheapest ingredients. Ed Hardy gives you that musky lavender vanilla top and fruity fresh drydown for less than half the price.

    This is as close as it gets and to Fierce, and frankly does a damn good job. The only other contender for Fierce clone is Mont Blanc's Legend, and frankly, the perfumer of Legend added a pineapple top and turned up the the screechy geranium which kind of compromises the softness of the scent which is what gives Fierce its charm.

    Complain all you want, call it derivative, theft, a crime against humanity, but there is no way anyone should pay $68 for a 1.7oz/50mL of Fierce, and now there's no reason to. Skulls and Rose is virtually identical especially on the drydown.

    So boys, if all you're after is compliments, my friends, you simply can't do better. Women inexplicably adore the stuff and I recieved two "what are you wearing" comments after only a week. It also lingers on clothes forever, for better or worse.

    Let's talk about the bottle for a second, omfg it's bloody brilliant, kitschy goth chic I love it! Buy it for the skull alone!!

    I got a 75mL gift set with shower gel and lotion for $27...

  2. #2
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    I own three Ed Hardy scents and IMO all three are very good in thier own right.(Born Wild, Hearts and Daggers and Villain) I had heard that skulls and roses was really close to Fierce, but since I already own Franck Olivier Sunrise(which is almost an exact dupe IMO and a little over $20 for a 2.5oz) So I just dismissed and passed by this EH frag many times without testing. However, since Sunrise and Fierce are so close...they both share that loud and screechy opening. So if skulls and roses has a more mellow and smooth opening like you say, I will definitely give this a try next time I pass by it....as that's what holds back the other two scents from being great IMO.

  3. #3
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    I have Skulls & Roses Men, and I think it smells very good, though it seems to lack projection and longevity on me compared to other Ed Hardy scents I own. You're right about the bottle, it is great and makes the Skull bottles of various Police scents look very cheap and tawdry by comparison.

    I've never come across Fierce, so can't compare.

    Last year, the women's Skulls & Roses was my Valentine's gift to my wife - who put it on display in our lounge. It was a big talking point among visitors.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  4. #4
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I own three Ed Hardy scents and IMO all three are very good in thier own right.(Born Wild, Hearts and Daggers and Villain)
    Born Wild and Hearts&Daggers I think are excellent. But I wasn't taken by Villain. I may retest it at some future time.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  5. #5
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Born Wild and Hearts&Daggers I think are excellent. But I wasn't taken by Villain. I may retest it at some future time.
    Cheers,
    Renato

    Villain mildly reminds me of The One, which is one of my favorite scents. However it is sweeter and has kind of a odd herbal note that persists(the basil, I would guess?)that I could see getting on people's nerves. I really dig it though.

  6. #6
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Villain mildly reminds me of The One, which is one of my favorite scents. However it is sweeter and has kind of a odd herbal note that persists(the basil, I would guess?)that I could see getting on people's nerves. I really dig it though.
    Thanks - that's interesting. Curiously, I've never been that enthused by The One either (though I hadn't noticed a similarity)

    The scent I am really a big fan of is Ed Hardy Man - but I can't wear it much as it makes my wife sneeze.
    Regardless, price just dropped to A$20 for a 100ml bottle, so I bought another one.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 15th February 2014 at 06:37 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    bigbz: what you're looking for is Curve, it's basically the base lavender without the screechy top

  8. #8
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    bigbz: what you're looking for is Curve, it's basically the base lavender without the screechy top
    Good to know, as I've got a small bottle of Curve I enjoy immensely! I've been wanting to buy a big bottle of this off ebay for under $18, but have held off just incase I were to come across something similar but that perhaps I'd like more.(which hasn't come close to happening yet) Thanks MarquisdeSod!

  9. #9
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Thanks - that's interesting. Curiously, I've never been that enthused by The One either (though I hadn't noticed a similarity)

    The scent I am really a big fan of is Ed Hardy Man - but I can't wear it much as it makes my wife sneeze.
    Regardless, price just dropped to A$20 for a 100ml bottle, so I bought another one.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Given the fact that I really seem to like the offerings this house puts out,(with the exception of Love and Luck) I'm kind of surprised I haven't tried the original Ed Hardy for men fragrance. I must have heard something about it in the past that made me dismiss it....but at that price point, I will definitely have to look further into this one. Thanks Renato

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    IMHO way too tacky a product line to even think about supporting- with so many other things to try and spend money on, pass.

  11. #11
    Ken_Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sibiu
    Posts
    17,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Possibly underrated because this one is a rather easily and cheaply affordable, as well as quite generic and popular fragrance, but in all honestly, I do personally like it and find it much smoother, tolerable and tasteful than expected.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    IMHO way too tacky a product line to even think about supporting- with so many other things to try and spend money on, pass.
    Feel the same although understand the attraction this line has for some.
    Last edited by hednic; 25th February 2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

  13. #13
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Given the fact that I really seem to like the offerings this house puts out,(with the exception of Love and Luck) I'm kind of surprised I haven't tried the original Ed Hardy for men fragrance. I must have heard something about it in the past that made me dismiss it....but at that price point, I will definitely have to look further into this one. Thanks Renato
    Interesting to see what you make of it.
    No one else agrees with me here, but to me Ed Hardy Man reminds me of niche amber scents (and it's amber in scents that makes my wife sneeze).
    Regards,
    Renato

  14. #14
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    IMHO way too tacky a product line to even think about supporting- with so many other things to try and spend money on, pass.
    So you won't try the scents because you don't like the packaging?
    Doesn't make sense to me.

    I bought some Ed Hardy watches. I can't see the point of buying or wearing my more expensive designer watches, as everyone keeps asking to have a look at whichever ED Hardy one I'm wearing.

    Same story with the bag I bought my niece. And my wife loved using her Ed Hardy bag in Italy, where the women are all into showing off their designer hand bags, but didn't have a clue what to make of her Ed Hardy bag.

    Maybe Ed Hardy stuff is over done where you live, but it never took off much down here.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th February 2014 at 12:16 AM.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    So you won't try the scents because you don't like the packaging?
    Doesn't make sense to me.

    I bought some Ed Hardy watches. I can't see the point of buying or wearing my more expensive designer watches, as everyone keeps asking to have a look at whichever ED Hardy one I'm wearing.

    Same story with the bag I bought my niece. And my wife loved using her Ed Hardy bag in Italy, where the women are all into showing off their designer hand bags, but didn't have a clue what to make of her Ed Hardy bag.

    Maybe Ed Hardy stuff is over done where you live, but it never took off much down here.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I would try it, but I would not support the brand. To each his/her own. Sorry it does not make sense to you; voting with one's money makes perfect sense- why pay for what which you find tacky, offensive, or just lame?

  16. #16
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    I guess I might be able to see how someone could be put-off by the branding...I'll admit I initially was a little before I tried the scents. But for me, I don't care how tacky the packaging is so long as it smells wonderful, and after trying these scents I was quite impressed.(guess I had low expectations like alot of Basenoters who hadn't tried these) To each thier own, but I wouldn't just dismiss a company and not try their products just because the packaging isn't your style.(unless they were offensive or against your beliefs/morals, then I could understand not wanting to support them) But you wouldn't be the 1st Basenoter to do a 180* on Ed Hardy frags after a sample or two

    And yes, I will admit a slight embarrassment to admit what I'm wearing when asked.lol(and with these scents, it happens ALOT!)

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I guess I might be able to see how someone could be put-off by the branding...I'll admit I initially was a little before I tried the scents. But for me, I don't care how tacky the packaging is so long as it smells wonderful, and after trying these scents I was quite impressed.(guess I had low expectations like alot of Basenoters who hadn't tried these) To each thier own, but I wouldn't just dismiss a company and not try their products just because the packaging isn't your style.(unless they were offensive or against your beliefs/morals, then I could understand not wanting to support them) But you wouldn't be the 1st Basenoter to do a 180* on Ed Hardy frags after a sample or two

    And yes, I will admit a slight embarrassment to admit what I'm wearing when asked.lol(and with these scents, it happens ALOT!)
    I totally by (not buy ) that the juice is good, and if it were the only stuff I could buy, of course, I would let go of my disgust. For now, I will just e content with trying the 23456 possible bottelings available from other companies.

    Just one question; must you wear Ed Hardy shirts to wear the juice? shudder..

  18. #18
    Dependent bigbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Just one question; must you wear Ed Hardy shirts to wear the juice? shudder..
    Lmao! At first I pondered this as well, but thankfully NO!!!

  19. #19
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    I would try it, but I would not support the brand. To each his/her own. Sorry it does not make sense to you; voting with one's money makes perfect sense- why pay for what which you find tacky, offensive, or just lame?
    There is indeed no reason to pay for it, but I can't understand why you wouldn't try the scents - they're free to try.

    Regards,
    Renato

  20. #20
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Ed Hardy: Skulls & Roses...so good it's FIERCE!

    I have three Ed Hardy fragrances: Love and Luck (Like), Christian Audigier (Like) and Villain(Not so much.). I've sampled the Hearts and Daggers and Skull and Roses (Like but not so much.) My complaint is this common synthetic DNA smell during the mid to late drydown that my nose detects in all of them except Love and Luck I even smell it in Christian Audigier but somehow it evolves further on my skin and loses the "screechy synthetic" smell I'm referring to. It ends up smelling good on my skin eventually whereas the EH fragrances with that vibe don't.

Similar Threads

  1. Skulls and Roses - Ed Hardy
    By Renato in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th March 2013, 12:30 AM
  2. New Fragrance: Ed Hardy Skulls & Roses
    By petruccijc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 15th September 2012, 08:04 PM
  3. Boxes Mailed!-- 30 Roses to sample from 30 Roses & co.
    By 30 Roses in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 9th October 2011, 05:09 PM
  4. Abercrombie Fierce - Is it a good scent?
    By Max_Yeah_True in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10th January 2010, 02:48 AM
  5. Has anyone tried the Ed Hardy for men?
    By cubanref in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19th December 2009, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •