Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 15 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Slumberhouse - Vikt.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 15 February, 2014.

Hi everyone,

ErinK when it comes CdR I’m a goner. My joy is in the sharing, you have full access to what ever takes your fancy.

Saminlondon forgot to mention VdN spilt? I’m down to my last couple mls so maybe we need to talk.

Opera tonight (Tosca) very excited to see Anke Höppner. This one is stage as an open air event at the grounds of the beautiful Supreme Court Gardens. Basking in the last rays of sunshine, inhaling sweet smells of summer, enjoying a picnic basket full of goodies and a glass (umm… make that a bottle of wine ) while waiting for nightfall. Loads of Cuir de Russie vintage extrait this evening.

Last edited by Xscent; 15th February 2014 at 08:28 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds lovely, Xscent! May I join you... a bottle? That's too much for you, my dear
    I splashed I dare not say how many mls of 2013 Mitsouko EdT on me. There's just something perfectly right about the EdT concentration when it comes to true classic chypres. The Mitsouko EdP may often be too harsh, too strong for me and the extrait's peach a tad too sweet and fruity in its composition - the EdT splashed all over me however is formidable!
    Have a great Saturday all!

Basenotes Plus

Xscent, enjoy. Sounds like a lovely night indeed.

I am typing this while giving off gentle whiffs of the Shalimar I wore to bed last night. As is true of all stages of its development, its far drydown is just spectacular. Will top up in a few. Have a lovely day, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all. Yohji released version
    DONNA

Today I'm sporting some of the Arabian Oud Woody that I managed to buy for very little this week, and I'm liking it more than either of the Amouage samples that arrrived earlier in the week.

cbdfe62de650ce398076c83717894321.jpg
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Saturday, 15 February, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Aoud Mayyas by Montale

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello all, enjoy your weekend!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hello, good souls.
    Turquoisewater, let's have some leftover b-cake and coffee for breakfast while the others are sleeping off the effects of last night's wine o'clock.
    Erin, I'm sure your mom's going to be A-OK and am glad for it.
    Jujy, your work sounds incredibly fulfilling.

Well, sonny Mike, I'm going back to Marni today. Last night I applied and later reapplied more Marni to the back of my hands and kept one hand pressed to my nose in the middle of the night to focus on the basenotes in between dreams. I have no explanation for the experience, no breakdown of the notes to share to relate what the fascination is. It's just a pleasure and a mystery.

DH and DD are volunteering at a half marathon event, so I can lay on the Marni thick and do my vacuuming.

Teardrop, I looked at all the severe wheather warnings peppered across the map for the south of England. Do I need to send you a sandbag? The poor folks of South Carolina not only got hit with uncommon cold and snow, they rode out a rare 4.1 earthquake last night.
    Last edited by Quarry; 15th February 2014 at 03:40 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Nautica Classic this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hello!

Xscent, what a lovely evening that sounds like. So glad *someone* is getting to enjoy warmth and sunshine. I haven't seen green grass in weeks, it seems - if it's not covered in snow, it's brown. Can't. Wait. For. Spring.

Quarry, thank you for thinking of my mom. She is in great spirits and isn't letting this get her down one bit. I will be on edge until we get her results, but for now we are so happy to be able to spend a few days together.

Going to do a bit of shopping with my folks today and maybe meeting an old friend for dinner this evening.

I'm back in 31 Rue Cambon today, and also had my mom spritz some on. She had never tried it and she loves it, naturally.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Sounds lovely, Xscent! May I join you... a bottle? That's too much for you, my dear
    I splashed I dare not say how many mls of 2013 Mitsouko EdT on me. There's just something perfectly right about the EdT concentration when it comes to true classic chypres. The Mitsouko EdP may often be too harsh, too strong for me and the extrait's peach a tad too sweet and fruity in its composition - the EdT splashed all over me however is formidable!
    Have a great Saturday all!
    Tdem thank you, I keep meaning to tell you that you smell fantastic. I must revisit Shalimar soon.

ErinK thank you too. It's perpetually sunny here, one of the benefits of a Mediterranean climate.

Larimar so kind of you to be concerned, I'd love you to join especially drenched in Mitsouko. Shuffling over for you, here's a glass of Pinot Noir and help yourself to the spread.

Great evening and I ended up sitting next to a colleague of a friend, small world! As much as I love dressing up for a night at the opera, being able to kick your shoes off, sprawl out on a picnic blanket and drink a glass of wine while watching a wonderful performance is not a bad way to enjoy it either.

Opera+Wine+Cheese+Cuir de Russie= Very happy girl. A splash more CdR for bed.

Such a lovely season for your Xscent! I enjoy vicariously through you.

We have a quiet sunny weekend here and I've a date to wash Scarlett so she can be at her best (my Mini Cooper).

I'm nearly drenched in Cuir de Russie! It's all your fault Xscent! And now I'm on the hunt to find the Extrait!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Such a lovely season for your Xscent! I enjoy vicariously through you.

We have a quiet sunny weekend here and I've a date to wash Scarlett so she can be at her best (my Mini Cooper).

I'm nearly drenched in Cuir de Russie! It's all your fault Xscent! And now I'm on the hunt to find the Extrait!
    Good isn't it? Consider yourself enabled. You can get the extrait from any Chanel boutique or online.

Vintage extrait is a bit difficult to come by (see my earlier post for a pic of my merry little band of CdR). As point of comparison the modern extrait is more animalic than the EdT. The emphasis is on that yummy leather. The modern CdR parfum does hold up well to the vintage, it lacks a little in the animalic grunt (for lack of a better descriptor), complexity an overall depth. My first vintage CdR was a gift from a very kind BN, I’m not sure he knew what he started.

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Q; thanks for the offer of a sandbag, but where l live we seem to be safe from the floods. The winds were pretty scary last night, though. Today there's been a little more wind & rain, but the sun came out for a while before it set.

After sleeping off last night's wine o'clock, l've been doing a little more spring-cleaning today. Now l'm relaxing with some more merlot while Mr teardrop makes fajitas, & l'm sampling Hanae Mori's Magical Moon. lt reminds me rather a lot of Mahora!

Xscent; that does sound like a wonderful evening!

(((Erin & mom)))

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello, all you fabulous-smelling ones!

XScent (and Saminlondon and probably jujy and several others if I'm recalling correctly), your opera outings sound lovely! I admit my tolerance for opera is a bit limited, though I do enjoy it on occasion and adore such a wide, weird variety of vocal music (madrigals, Gregorian and other chanting, Bulgarian village singing, etc. etc.) that I resonate deeply to all your accounts of your outings. And when I was growing up (pre-discovery of my severe cat allergies, which make me quite unhappy, since I love cats), my 25+-pound black cat with amber eyes and a small white patch just under his neck was aptly named Fafner.

Sharing the house with Ipp today, as my SOTD is the deliciously dark Ore by Slumberhouse. Wow, this stuff is luscious. Biting in just the right ways, rich and smooth underneath. It may be time to freeze my credit cards in a block of ice again. Sigh...

Ore notes: Oakwood, Cocoa, Mahogany, Guaiac, Dittany of Crete, Vanilla, Whiskey Lactone and Peru Resin.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Current cute constructions:
    Xscent: “Animalic grunt,” with regard to Cuir de Russie.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post

Opera tonight (Tosca) very excited to see Anke Höppner. This one is stage as an open air event at the grounds of the beautiful Supreme Court Gardens. Basking in the last rays of sunshine, inhaling sweet smells of summer, enjoying a picnic basket full of goodies and a glass (umm… make that a bottle of wine ) while waiting for nightfall. Loads of Cuir de Russie vintage extrait this evening.
    When I attended Tosca last year I wore Avignon to enhance my experience of the opening act which is set in a church. I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

I am going back to wearing Marni today after wearing Tom Fords most of last week.

Quarry: I am a big fan of Sherlock too. We do have a lot in common. I am having withdrawal symptoms due to the short season being over so soon. I also watch all the episodes twice to catch all the details and nuances.

I did see that the modern is quite available Xscent, but I'm hunting up the vintage. I do believe I enjoy the search almost as much as wearing the fragrance!

Com diva, I am with you as I'm not particularly fond of opera myself, but I do absolutely appreciate good music, being a vocalist myself and so the outings sound like such fun just for the fact that I know what pleasure beautiful and well executed music can bring.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Institution

turquoisewater - so nice to see you drop in to say hello. Miss you
    lpp - OMG I just sampled Vikt a couple days ago, and loved it. Licorice wheels-a-go-go! Do I need another disco'd Slumberhouse FB? I am not sure. But I really liked it.
    tdem1961 - Amen! The drydown of Shalimar is a beautiful thing. I kept meaning to ask you - what formulation of Shalimar you're wearing & whether it's vintage or new?
    Quarry - so glad to hear that Marni is scratching that itch of yours. We both need to sample the rose flanker, I'm interested to see if it's as dazzling as the original. Or rose prominent? Or meh?
    ErinK - I found Impossible Iris sort of boring myself. I'm not as much of an iris fan as you are, but I tend to gravitate towards the more rooty, earthy ones and the Ramon Monegal is very stripped, soapy and 'clean'. Not a bad thing but if I want soapy iris I'll just wear Prada.

Woke up sleepy, got up to meet some friends for coffee and breakfast, now I'm back home. I wanted to go to the beach today (it was sunny & beautiful beach weather yesterday) but the clouds and grey skies are back now so I'm not sure it's worth the drive. I might just lay by the pool here.

This morning, I sprayed on some Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi layered with some Mysore Sandalwood by DSH. Now I've got on a sample of:

Fleurs de Gardenia by Creed

I think 30Roses gave me a sample of this, didn't you L? In any event, I didn't really like it when I first sampled it, but today I love it. Maybe it's because I still have some sandalwood on my skin underneath this, and I'm smelling the combo of the two? Or maybe I like it better the second time? Who knows. Creed florals and I don't always get along, I am much more drawn towards their greens, aromatics and woods. But when they get a floral note right (the rose in Windsor is exquisite, isn't it?) they get it RIGHT. I love this gardenia in the top notes - it's very satisfying.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Good afternoon all. Encouraged by so many posts here, I placed a small Slumberhouse order which arrived this morning. So I am sampling Pear + Olive.

Let me just say I don't really like (on me) gourmand, fruity or woody fragrances. And Pear + Olive displays, to my nose, all three of those characteristics, at different stages of its development. And yet, I am blown away by it. Really special.

I normally avoid anything resembling fruit but enjoyed that winey pear at the start of P&O - it reminded me of picking up windfalls.
    Glad that you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Let me just say I don't really like (on me) gourmand, fruity or woody fragrances. And Pear + Olive displays, to my nose, all three of those characteristics, at different stages of its development. And yet, I am blown away by it. Really special.
    Good to hear that! I'm pretty much the same here. One thing Slumberhouse has done for me is open up the possibility of wearing all manner of notes I would ordinarily have avoided like the plague. P+O is a case in point. Ore is another.

SOTD: Slumberhouse Baque

Last edited by rowan-; 15th February 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Sampling Jessica Mclintock, I like lotv, I think, in smaller doses but this is way too much, too thick..like Diorissimo. Same scent really.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

It's always interesting to me how we can experience the same fragrance so differently, isn't it? ErinK, I find Impossible Iris quite different from all three Prada concentrations (btw, I ordered a 50ml bottle of the Absolue last night -- mike's nudge put me over the edge ). For me, the iris in Impossible Iris is very lipsticky and jammy. Think Malle's Lipstick Rose but substitute raspberry for rose, and you've got Impossible Iris. I know Jon enjoys Impossible Iris, too, and he may have a different take on it yet. It may be sweeter than you typically like, ErinK, but it's definitely worth a try. It's unique. It's a "happy" iris Hugs to both you and your mom. I'm betting this time together will be good for both of you

Danie, do you love your Mini Cooper? This Volvo driver has always been fascinated by the Minis!

Xscent, you have the most wonderful evenings. I adore opera but am a woefully infrequent attendee as neither David nor my friends care for it. And Omaha is not exactly an opera Mecca. Your CdR menagerie is fabulous. But your cozy, sweater-swaddled Bois des Iles bedtime shots are my personal favorites.

So I'm spending some quality time with Naomi Goodsir today -- Cuir Velours on the right wrist, Bois d'Ascese on the left. The opening of BdA is definitely Eau de Campfire -- with bacon sizzling away! It's a very smoky, meaty open for about 3 minutes, then a very dry, woody incense. I get virtually no cinnamon, tobacco, or whiskey. Which is a shame I'm not quite sure what I think of Cuir Velours -- David didn't care for it at all. I think M has ruined us both.

Oh, mike, I very nearly forgot -- if you love the licorice in Vikt, you might want to try Kerosene Black Vines. It's quite a different treatment, but it's arresting and smells amazing on David.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 15th February 2014 at 06:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Montale- Highness Rose
    ​These are my Valentines Day roses.

Attached Images Attached Images

queen of the universe

Afternoon nap in Shalimar Edt over the body lotion.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

It got sunny so I spent the afternoon by the pool, reading my novel ('NW' by Zadie Smirh) and came back home sweaty, salty, ready for a nap in:

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain

I'm convinced: this just smells it's best on sun-warmed skin.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

SotE - Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain (from a sample, thanks yuyu15!)

Basenotes Institution

Headed to a dinner-show with friends and then late-night-debauchery afterwards...

Wearing (from a sample from my buddy 30 Roses):

Norell by Norell

Not sure which formula this is - but Mom used to wear this so it's a nice combination of olfactory memories, floral chypre and lot's of classiness. Can't wait to tell my Mom I wore this, next time we talk about fragrances. lol

-- Eckhart Tolle

Amber Soie from The Armani Prive Collection

Whisper:
    I am wearing nothing today.. got up late, went to ride my horse, cleaned the house....
    Sssshhhhhh.....
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

queen of the universe

Took in a concert of Baroque chamber music on authentic period instruments—flutes, cello, and harpsichord. SOTE/N, Weil Noir, is perfect.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!