Code of Conduct

Default On signature scents and Andy Warhol's philosophy

Read this in the international edition of the NY Times today. I thought the bit about Warhol's scent memory archive was interesting; I hadn't heard of anyone taking that approach before.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ype=blogs&_r=0

Default Re: On signature scents and Andy Warhol's philosophy

He was a real fan of the overall aesthetic, from scent to bottle design.

Thanks for posting this -- look forward to reading it later!

Very interesting article. I guess there's something to variety being the spice of life even in fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Good read, thanks for sharing it.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Good read, thanks for sharing it.
    Yes - I totally relate to that thing he's talking about - this odd poignancy of having a scent remind you of a time - I can see being addicted to that, as opposed to being addicted to fragrance per se.

I guess he was a meta-perfumista!

It'll be interesting to see what happens if I ever find a scent that perfectly fits me.

I think there is wisdom in usually wearing the same scent, but I haven't found a scent I can do that with yet. I haven't found one I love enough that is also versatile enough. My collection is mostly a journey of my search for such a scent.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if I ever find a scent that perfectly fits me.

I think there is wisdom in usually wearing the same scent, but I haven't found a scent I can do that with yet. I haven't found one I love enough that is also versatile enough. My collection is mostly a journey of my search for such a scent.
    I think the signature scent is a way of saying "it's me" - both to yourself, and to other people. But finding a way to make different scents equate to different parts of our lives, is a way of saying "it's you". It's like taking a snapshot of everything - even how we felt at the moment.

I know that in my own case, when I find scents that are almost "me", they still become a part of my life - just more "me". But eventually I go back out on the road, looking for the next holy grail, and it's almost like looking for the next part of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think the signature scent is a way of saying "it's me" - both to yourself, and to other people. But finding a way to make different scents equate to different parts of our lives, is a way of saying "it's you". It's like taking a snapshot of everything - even how we felt at the moment.

I know that in my own case, when I find scents that are almost "me", they still become a part of my life - just more "me". But eventually I go back out on the road, looking for the next holy grail, and it's almost like looking for the next part of my life.
    Very well said!

I love the idea of a signature scent, and who knows, maybe I'll be lucky enough to find one. Years ago, I worked with a woman who used to sneak into my office before I arrived in order to use my computer. This was in the early days of email going corporate using an intranet rather than the internet. Lol! Anyway... she wasn't supposed to be in my office, but she never disturbed anything, so I didn't mind. But I always knew she'd been there because I could smell her perfume on my fingers after she'd used the keyboard. That woman smelled magnificent. Due to the messed up dynamics of that office, it was important that my communication with her (and her team) was very limited... but I loved coming in to work and smelling her scent on my keyboard. It made me happy.

That's the part of having a signature scent which really appeals to me. It is, exactly as you said, "a way of saying "it's me" - both to yourself, and to other people."

...if only I didn't enjoy variety so much! ...and sampling!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam