Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 16 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Ancient Resins - Aftelier.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 16 February, 2014.

Hello all. Miller Harris Terre d'Iris
    DONNA

Lolita Lempicka edt - can't say this is very strong on me.
    Maybe my sense of smell is declining! Nice, but faintly so, and
    not as much aniseed as I was expecting. I recently purchased
    a bottle on e-bay.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Blue skies and a light breeze - hallelujah . Hope all the UK contingent are making the most of this rare event - I doubt whether it will last.

SotD is Amber Oud by Kilian.

A delightful and carefully chosen Valentine's Day gift (she knows my nose ). Light, non-medicinal oud, an amber that doesn't smell like last night's vindaloo (are your ears burning Ambre Sultan ?) and a beautiful, non-cloying vanilla. It's almost drinkable.
    Managed to get into the capital yesterday and came away with one purchase (certain to be today's SotE). Finally got around to trying the infamous Xerjoff Zafar in Fortnums, coming away open mouthed and contemplating - why ??. Horse manure - literally. I wondered whether I should buy a bottle to spray on my rhubarb.
    Off with the binoculars to see the numerous wildfowl that have decided to visit the lake in our local park (which is considerably larger than normal !), then across to our neighbours who are doing one of their excellent cheese and wine bashes. Is there a better combination than a rich red with a pungent blue cheese ?.

G - plenty of Red Kites soaring here today, directly over the house too.

Erin, sending my very best wishes to your mother following her surgery.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 16th February 2014 at 12:26 PM.

hello all,
    Dia, vintage

Caron - Fleurs de Rocaille

Parfum extrait

Jon a rich red and a ripe blue is only bested by more red and riper blue (yum!!!). Congrats on the Valentines gift, its beautiful.

ExtremeK I’m bereft of opera dates half the time but I dress up and go anyway. Once the curtains go up I’m oblivious to my surrounds, it’s just me and the performance. That’s my favourite cashmere wrap (aka blankie) in the Bois des Îles pic. I have a cashmere obsession that’s boardering on unhealthy. My ‘happy place’ being cocooned in cashmere and BdI. Btw wet cashmere and Mitsouko smells like barnyard full of over ripe peaches and dry hay, don’t ask me how I know this.

Trilby Lark Avigon is an inspired choice for Tosca. I was front row and could smell the incense holders wafting the most lovely trail of frankincense which when mixed with my CdR had my nose enraptured. Were you referencing the most recent Sherlock with the entirely delectable Mr Cumberbatch?

((ErinK and mum)) glad you are getting to spend time together.

((Jujy)) a belated one for Valetines. I’m glad the blues passed quickly, sounds like you had a awesome few days of music though.

Danie I love a good vintage hunt, good luck on the CdR it’s definitely worth hunting for. It would be one of my big five in a fragrance safari. Which reminds me anyone seen Kiliwia of late?

ComDiva love that you called your cat Fahner, was there a Fasolt as well?

It’s been one of rare entirely relaxing Sundays. Sublime vintage EdP today, such a gorgeous spicy floral with just a whiff of civet, sunshine in a bottle. Chanel No.5 vintage parfum and EdC tonight.
    Last edited by Xscent; 17th February 2014 at 01:02 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Good morning. Shalimar for me. Mike - to answer your question, this is vintage extrait. I lucked into an ounce, sealed, on fleabay and it is perfect. Smooth, rich and deep.

Take care, everyone.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello everyone. Jon that is a really lovely post today.

Oriza L Legrand Jardins D'Armide today, from a large sample.

C'est Magique by Kesling

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Jon, Amber Oud is a great scent, I have a wee sample of it, it's definitely fb worthy, enjoy!
    Last edited by kalli; 16th February 2014 at 02:43 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Going to church wearing

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons as my SotD (from a sample)

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    <snip>

G - plenty of Red Kites soaring here today, directly over the house too. </snip>.
    Fantastic stuff, Jon ! Hope you were rewarded down your local park, too.
    I caught up with a pair of red kites the week before last as I was driving to Cambs - there's a hillside pass where one's virtually guaranteed a sighting. Trouble is, there's nowhere to pull over and admire them...

I turned on the radio last night and quite by chance happened upon a programme with J.-C. Ellena (it was the Carnet d'Or programme on France Culture and is presumably available as a podcast, but it's in French). Just ordered a copy of his new book, too (la note verte). Honestly, I was less than taken with his last, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Ungaro II was my SotD.
    Now, beer time.
    Best to all.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Chypre here: J-L Scherrer. I likes ’em green.

R.I.P.
    John Henson, age 48, passed away Friday.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Were you referencing the most recent Sherlock with the entirely delectable Mr Cumberbatch?
    Yes, Mr. Cumberbatch who is so dreamy. Sigh... Quarry had mentioned the show in a previous post.

I don't know what the heck to wear today so I suppose I'll just try my new Tom Ford Noir sample.

Happy Sunday, all!
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 16th February 2014 at 03:46 PM.

I'm having a lazy Sunday morning, so much so that I have decided to just ignore my tennis today and chill. But chores await, so at some point I will have to get motivated.

XScent, that BdI/cashmere combo is about as good as it gets! I agree!!!

I'm in Slumberhouse Jeke today, not a love but it is interesting and since I'm chilling I can pay some attention to it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Fantastic stuff, Jon ! Hope you were rewarded down your local park, too.
    We were indeed !. Highlight was an unexpected and incredibly tame kingfisher.

SotE is Tiziana Terenzi White Fire.

Elegantly packaged white floral, staggeringly well-priced for an extrait. It would be foolhardy attempting to upstage the magnificent Darvant (check out his stunning review in the directory) but I can heartily recommend to those appreciative of beautifully crafted perfume (that would be everyone, right ?).

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 16th February 2014 at 04:06 PM.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 16 February, 2014.

Eau de toilette concentrée
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

queen of the universe

((Xscent)) reciprocal hug. I'm in the midst of family turmoil. My son now lives with his siter, just a mile away, and regrettable words have been exchanged. I've had a good cry, taken a deep breath, and asked myself, "what is most important to me?" True to form, I would rather avoid conflict that be right about something. I have misgivings about being shut out of care decisions re: my son, but the greater damage is to fight over this. He's still seeing the professionals, so he is getting good enough care. I want to say to my daughter, "let's share meals and be kind to one another, and leave off what we disagree about." I'm not sure she's ready to hear that. I am sad that I don't hear from my son, but I am hopeful that time will even things out.

SOTD, today and for the next three, is aldehydic, cumin-laced clean and dirty vintage Caron Infini extrait. I'm finding I like living with a scent for a period of days. Sometimes I switch in the evening, but one scent will prevail over those days. My appreciation deepens, and I think I will end up culling my collection to the three-day-worthy. Infini mos' def is one.

P1030778.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Good afternoon, everyone.

I sampled Magnolia Grandiflora Sandrine while exercising this morning. For my tastes, it's a nice summer or exercising scent: peppy and light. On me it travels from grapefruit and pepper to lots of lemon and hints of rose and green. I actually got very little magnolia, but it was still incredibly pleasant. And now I'm wearing Frederic Malle's Lys Mediterranee, which is exactly the kind of luscious floral I was craving.

I'm sampling Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon today and finding it a lot more subtle than I was expecting (and after a day of Arabian Oud Woody yesterday I think this is good- my olfactory system needs a day of lovely gentle drifts of scent).
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

SOTE
    Ô, Eau Fraîche, vintage

Activist

Beige, Chanel.

Hugs to everyone.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Basenotes Plus

(((jujy))), time can be a great healer - here's hoping the communication breakdown will resolve itself in due course. It is reassuring to hear that he is still in good hands.

Oh good grief. Just as I said I was not loving Slumberhouse Jeke, today I am loving it. I'm a sucker for a good benzoin note, and the drydown of this one is making me smile. It's been a while since a fragrance has made me smile. Feels good.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

((jujy)) I'm sure that's very hard right now. Keep the lines of communication open; he will come back to you in time.

I'm wearing Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare-- one of many rose perfumes that are bound to be destroyed if the EU bans eugenol. Maybe my username will become Zero Roses?

Good afternoon, all. Yesterday and today Black Orchid.

Took the kids to the state fair yesterday. We kept mainly to the ag tents, and saw all the show animals, narrowly missed seeing a calf born, there was a demonstration of spinning angora into yarn and lots and lots of fancy chickens and other fowl. Also we saw "paso fino" competition at the horse side of the fair.

One of the cutest moments, though, was seeing this baby goat sleeping on the back of a mama sheep.

2014-02-15 13.14.04.jpg

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Robin, that is adorable! A very accepting sheep, that one.

Robin, very cute!

Blog Entries

Evening all, posting late today.

Yes it was indeed a beautiful day today, Jon; blue skies, sunshine & mild temperatures here. lt was a joy to throw open all the windows & let the fresh air in. Looks like you had a great day, too. l'm intrigued by White Fire, l need to go look that one up, as BWFs are just my thing! Congrats on your lovely Valentine gift!

(((jujy)))

l'm in Dior Addict again this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    SotE is Tiziana Terenzi White Fire.
    Elegantly packaged white floral, staggeringly well-priced for an extrait. It would be foolhardy attempting to upstage the magnificent Darvant (check out his stunning review in the directory) but I can heartily recommend to those appreciative of beautifully crafted perfume (that would be everyone, right ?).
    While reading the above, my California cousin called to ask for the address for Lucky Scent/Scent Bar where a few of us will be meeting up next month. Cousin was scouting out the location, parking, etc. Surely it’s a sign that she called when she did, what with them carrying White Fire. On it goes to the sniff list.

(((Jujy))) I can't imagine the feeling of lead sinking in your heart. You know what to do: Live life the very best you can and let things happen as they will.

I only just encountered the following adaptation of the serenity prayer (maybe it's old news to most of you). It’s a philosophy I can get behind:

Grant me coffee to change the things I can change
    Wine to accept the things I cannot
    and an opaque travel mug so no one can tell which one I’m drinking
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

queen of the universe

Dear friends,

oh, me of little faith. My son dropped by today. He's his own person. We went out for dinner.

My conflict with my daughter is much like the go-arounds I had with my dad when I was younger. We never apologized, one of us would just hit the reset button and start over. I think that's what will happen. I let my son know I won't interfere w/her care decisions, and I let him know I'm proud of some good decisions they are both making.

Thanks for all the basenotes love. I think those good vibes travelled. XXXOOO
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

@ jujy. It is good to read that you have reconnected with your son. I don't always post, but I usually read SOTD and knew of this disruption in your life.

Today I am wearing Trayee and have smoothed on a little Shalimar hair gel, too.

ErinK, I hope your mother is doing well

Jon, that is an amazing box! Sooo luxurious and pretty! Congratulations on the improved weather!
    Xerjoff, horse manure? Must try it. As a horse-nutter I am rather partial to horse manure... you know, you enter the stable, take a deep sniff, and ''Aaaaahhhh...''' Yummm''.... ''Horses!''

Easyfish, oooh, that bottle!

Jujy, I hope things will resolve and get better

Robin
    , I would have loved to see the Paso Fino's!

I am wearing my newly arrived Coriandre on the left wrist, and the rest is Balmain de Balmain extrait. They go very well together, the Balmain is better though.

I am thinking of offering a decant of the Balmain, can one put decants on the ''Free to a good home'' thread?
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Cologne Du 68 by Guerlain...

Hello everyone! I'm also posting late tonight.

Froufrou, thank you for thinking of my mom. She is doing great and now we are just waiting to get the results.

Robin, that picture is one of the most precious things I have ever seen!!!

Quarry, I hadn't heard that before but I think I can also get behind that philosophy. Actually I'm sure several of us here can.

I have also been mising kiliwia on SOTD thread.

Had dinner at my grandmother's tonight and got to see Noel, a border collie mix I picked up on the interstate on West Virginia when I came home for Christmas. She was laying in the left lane of the interstate and had some nasty head trauma and I didn't expect her to survive the 5 hr car trip to KY, but the vets got her all fixed up and she's doing GREAT now. The only way you'd know she had been injured is that her head is near-permanently tilted to her left side. My grandmother is keeping her for the time being but I hope to be able to keep her one day.

Noel.jpg

I've been in VC&A Bois d'Iris today. It wears close to the skin, but it's such a cozy warm embrace of a scent.

Gotta run - Downton Abbey needs my full attention.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Chypre here: J-L Scherrer. I likes ’em green.

R.I.P.
    John Henson, age 48, passed away Friday.
    That is sad news. He was much too young. I am sorry, Quarry... You must be a big fan.

((jujy)), ((Quarry)), and ((ErinK)) -- just 'cuz.

Jon and teardrop, I'm so glad you got finally got some sun

cello, this benzoin sucker also quite enjoys Jeke

In the absence of sun here (in fact, sleet and the infamous "wintry mix" is forecast for tonight), I enjoyed repeated applications of Atelier Orange Sanguine.

Tomorrow's a vacation day, but there will be errands to run.

Blog Entries

FrouFrou; if you like the smell of horse manure, you must try Aftelier's Sepia.

Jujy; glad to hear your good news.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.