Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Monday, 17 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day!

Gin & Lime - Pell Wall.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 17 February, 2014.

Lots of Sous le Vent to get the Monday going...
    Best to all

Hi everyone,

((Jujy)) wonderful news, I’m so glad things are working themselves out.

Trilby Lark there’s just something about him, very dreamy indeed. I have watched ‘A Scandal in Belgravia’ quite a few times.

FrouFrou ‘partial to horse mature’ Puredistance M has a fair whack of skanky leather that reminds me of a well-worn saddle at times.

ComDiva I hope you managed to put your feet up for a little while longer before starting chores. I literally live in cashmere in the winter (pyjamas too ). I’m probably securing the future for hoards of cashmere goats.

ErinK loved the Noel story, here's hoping you get to bringing her home soon. By the way plonking myself down next to you for Downton.

Une Fleur de Cassie again today and switching to a good splash of Guerlinade for ballet.

It’s been a loooonnnggg time since I danced en point so tonight is going to be interesting and a tad scary.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Inspired by david's beautiful pictures I decided to wear

Caron - Montaigne

today.

Bambou Trefle by Galimard
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

hello all,
    vintage EDT

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 17 February, 2014.

S C E N T
    INTENSE
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone and a good start of the week to you all. Shalimar.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello good people.

Monday - gulp. Mouchoir de Monsieur is helping me through it

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all. Another manic Monday - back later.

Santa Maria Novella Ginestra.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 17th February 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Good morning, all. I am layered in body shop Honeymania body butter (which doesn't smell like honey but does smell nice) and Mark (Avon) Jewel, which is pretty and reminds me of the ELDO Tilda Swinton perfume Like This. Citrus and spices.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Hello everyone and a good start of the week to you all. Shalimar.
    I don't care how many times you post you're wearing Shalimar again, I'm always happy to see that cheery Terry face.

Worrying about Twolf. Wondering about Kiliwia. Kiliwia might be subject to the I-went-to-a-BN-meet-up-and-will-now-fade-from-view experience. Perhaps I'm imagining the percentages, but this does seem to happen with unusual frequency. Lillybelle, Elizrj, come to mind first, but there are others. Having been on BN for over 8 years, I've seen a lot of coming and going. It's thoroughly understandable. I've thought I might drift away countless times, but there's no place like this, no people so charming, no subject so endlessly fascinating.

Craving sweet again, I've reached for Cadjmere 18. The part I love is the top notes: green vanilla. Wish I could park this fragrance right there in those top notes. The dry down is yummy and dusky (not sticky sweet, thank goodness), which is comforting, but not nearly so distractingly swoon-making as those top notes.

Erin, love your rescued border collie. Those shepherding dogs are wicked smart. Your grandmother must be as good-hearted as you to provide a temporary home.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, everyone! I've been away from the computer for a while. My aunt died the end of January, then my brother started having some scary health problems, so it's been a very busy couple of weeks. This weekend we were in Duluth visiting my daughter. I've missed all of you very much!! I need to catch up on everyone's posts.

Wearing Kenzo Flower this morning.

Have a great day!
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Good morning, everyone! I've been away from the computer for a while. My aunt died the end of January, then my brother started having some scary health problems, so it's been a very busy couple of weeks. This weekend we were in Duluth visiting my daughter. I've missed all of you very much!! I need to catch up on everyone's posts.

Wearing Kenzo Flower this morning.

Have a great day!
    Lovely to see you back Kiliwia you've been missed. Sorry to hear about your Aunt and brother, hope he's doing better.

Heading to bed in Bois des Îles

queen of the universe

Call me undecided today. I had intended to stay on with Infini, but it doesn't strike me as a "day off" fragrance. Going to a favorite Chinese restaurant for lunch; the chicken taro root casserole is unique and perfect for this cold day. Sarrasins might work with that; I've worn it as a "dining" fragrance before. Yes, Sarassins.

P1030015.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Happy Monday! It's the Presidents Day holiday in the U.S. so no work for me today.

I thought I'd take a break from all the heavy Tom Fords I've been wearing lately and go back to my old favorite Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone. Before BN it's what I wore about 75 percent of the time for several years. I started wearing it when it was hard to come by - exclusive to Neiman Marcus. Now Jo Malone is in most high end dept. stores and there's even a Jo Malone store at our local mall.

Xscent: I adore cashmere too. My favorite is a black hoodie sweatshirt - in cashmere. I wear it often.

Quarry:. I am so impressed that you've been around BN so long. You're the heart and soul of SOTD.

Best wishes to all!
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 17th February 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I missed posting yesterday, so I read through them all this morning getting caught up...wow I missed a lot.

Jujy - I'm so happy things worked out with your son & I hope the same can be said for your daughter also. ((hugs))
    tdem1961 - so you've got vintage Shalimar parfum. Well no wonder you're over-the-moon for it. I love my bottle & I wear it sparingly. I also own 'new' parfum and while it's very satisfying it's just not as good as the vintage. The only thing is, I cannot wear the vintage to bed, it's **too much**. Too complex. For that I wear the EdC or PdT.
    JonRodgers - that By Killian packaging on your Valentine's Day present is exquisite. Just beautiful. I haven't smelled AO yet. Enjoy!
    easyfish - vintage Dia is one of my favorite masculines!
    gandhajala - I thought JCE's last book was a bit boring. I put it away & I'll try to re-read it again in the future, but I was slightly disappointed
    Mocha - you are not the first person I've heard to say that magnolia scent isn't very magnolia-prominent. I love the smell of that flower in nature, but in fragrances I've yet to smell a realistic magnolia note.
    Quarry - you are going to go CRAZY in Scent Bar. And I got majorly lost when I tried to find it last time I was there, I had to call for directions. I don't know why, they only moved down the street, but the new location storefront looks very non-descript.

I've been sampling a lot - huh? I guess I'm in one of those moods lately (or maybe I need to cut my sample pile down to a manageable size!). Today I'm sampling (I wish I could remember who sent me this...sorry!):

7 Billion Hearts by CB I Hate Perfume

I first smelled this about 2 years ago, when I was vacationing in Provincetown (MA) and there was this tiny little beauty supply store/salon that had a really wonderful selection of niche perfumes. I walked in that shop several times, and doused my arm with this scent. I had high hopes for this one - vanilla + Christopher Brosius. And it's nice. But, it's not FBW. It has a sort of ambery-animalic note that I have smelled before in a very obscure fragrance (Smoked Amber by D.S. Durga / Anthropologie) which my nose zeroes in on and after a while that's all I smell, not the vanilla. Today, it's a bit cool in my office, so it's a nice whisp of amber/vanilla that I keep getting. But, I'll stick with my Guerlains and if I really want a light, modern take on vanilla Le Labo Vanille 44 already impresses me more.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Good morning all. It seems I've missed all the weekend goings on again, will have to do a catch up read.

I'm in Lanvin My Sin this morning. I'll say again that this puts me in mind of the vintage Weil's, Antilope and Zibiline. I suppose that fits well with the idea of fragrance meant to blend well with furs since this is certainly animalic. And why is it I am so obsessed with the animatics right now? Obsessed I tell you.

Kiliwia, great to see you back amount us. So sorry to hear of your difficult times though. Hugs to you and yours.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Mornin' to you all (or night, as it may be, Xscent)!

Kiliwia! Great to see you, have been thinking of you. So sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope your brother is doing better. This has been a tough year so far for many people around Basenotes and people I know personally. It seems just as I hear of one death in a family or a sickness, there is another on its heels.

(((ExtremeK))) just cause, yourself!

Jon, love that photo. It looks like summer! I know so many of us are overdue for some sunshine.

Quarry, my grandmother is - very nearly - as softhearted as I am when it comes to animals. She took in another darling mutt of mine, Tucker, a few years ago when I was traveling extensively with work, and has become his permanent mama. One of my favorite things about coming home to Kentucky is visiting with all the sweet animals here - Tucker, my parents' cocker spaniel, and now Noel.

I am in Hiris today, thinking of cello. Her review of Hiris is so lovely. I don't know what Luca Turin smoked before he smelled Hiris - a cold, sad iris? To me Hiris is a perfectly lovely, happy, optimisic iris. There is nothing sad about it to me.

autochrome, 1924, taken in France

One more thing: I know there are lots of classical music/opera music/etc lovers around these parts, but if any of y'all like some good ol' bluesy, rootsy Americana rock n' roll (thinking of Evangeline), I heard a great band yesterday on Mountain Stage on NPR: Houndmouth. They have a bit of The Band vibe. Check them out if it's your thang.

*Edit to add: Mike: so happy to hear your thoughts on this one! It's been a lemming of mine since I read the ad copy for it (gosh I'm a sucker for some sap) but I haven't tested it yet. I don't have a go-to vanilla yet, the Le Labo is on my test list, too. Thanks for testing this one and for the comments!
    Last edited by ErinK; 17th February 2014 at 04:27 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Goodmorning and thanks everybody who is recommending scents reminiscent of horse stables to me! I am LMAO!

Xscent, what a beautiful photo and lovely bottle

Quarry, ''Worrying about Twolf. Wondering about Kiliwia. Kiliwia might be subject to the I-went-to-a-BN-meet-up-and-will-now-fade-from-view experience. Perhaps I'm imagining the percentages, but this does seem to happen with unusual frequency. Lillybelle, Elizrj, come to mind first, but there are others. Having been on BN for over 8 years, I've seen a lot of coming and going. It's thoroughly understandable. I've thought I might drift away countless times, but there's no place like this, no people so charming, no subject so endlessly fascinating.''
    I disappeared too and now I miss everybody you mentioned
    At least you are a constant in the universe.

Killiawa
    , Sorry to hear about your losses and problems, glad to see you

I am wearing Balmain de Balmain extrait, (again). I do love it.

I am giving away that lovely purse spray with 5 ml of the extrait on the FtagH tread.
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 17th February 2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clicked ''post'' by accident
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hello! I have been wearing Nohiba today and it has lasted well.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Ok, all caught up now. ExtremeK, to answer your question, I absolutely adore my Mini. It's a 6speed S version and I drive a bit like Andretti so it's perfect for me. I like that it's something a little different from most of what's on the road.

Mike, your photo of Norrell brought back the memories. I'd completely forgotten that fragrance, but seeing your image reminded me that I was gifted a bottle of that as a teen. In those days, I lived in poverty and that was such a special acquisition. Thanks for the reminder!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Getting a quick post in during an already busy morning...

Erin, glad you are enjoying the Hiris! I have a special fondness for that one and need to pull it out more.

I'm in M. Micallef Gaiac today, which I have been wearing fairly regularly lately (not Tdem syle, but regular ) A clove, soft smoke and vanilla comfy scent.

Wearing Moschino today. unfortunately allergy season is starting booooo

Halston Man Amber

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    FrouFrou ‘partial to horse mature’ Puredistance M has a fair whack of skanky leather that reminds me of a well-worn saddle at times.
    I quite enjoy getting saddle sore myself with Royal Delight - the problem with Zafar definitely lies further back and a little lower down .
    James Bond or James Herriott ?. I'll wear the tuxedo, drive the Aston Martin and leave the wellies and Land Rover for someone else. Any takers ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Lillybelle, Elizrj, come to mind first, but there are others. Having been on BN for over 8 years, I've seen a lot of coming and going. It's thoroughly understandable. I've thought I might drift away countless times, but there's no place like this, no people so charming, no subject so endlessly fascinating.
    Mrs Q, I'm getting all misty eyed here. Wolfie, Mimi, Haunani, Sunnyfunny, Heartwood, PerfumedLady, Shoegal, Leesee, Alityke .....the list goes on.
    Delighted to see Kiliwia back

SotE - Diptyque Volutes.

I need help, I have three vintage umbrellas which need these little tips at the end of the ribs, Does anybody have an old umbrella they want to throw away? cut off the threads to the tips and mail them to me please!

umbrella tips.JPG

Jon, lovely photo of perfume display
    I would take James Herriott any time! But an occasional James Bond getaway wouldn't go amiss.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Original) by YSL!!!

ErinK, I loved your story of Noel, I love that you stopped at all to pick her up off the road, I love the picture of you in my mind, willing that 5 hour drive to go faster, dammit, and I love that your granny rescues pets in need. Here I go getting all teary-eyed again. I think maybe I just need to give into it and have a good cry. Please give all your animals an extra scuff under the jaw and a kiss from me. And here's one for you. And I'm with Quarry -- having had three of them myself, those herding dogs are indeed wicked smart. (Or, rather, smaaht, right, ComDiva? )

Jon, you've been outdoing yourself this week with the photos -- the lovely Valentine's Day gift, the birds, and my goodness, that lovely Diptyque display. I am a sucker for wood and minimalism.

I'm also a sucker for Cadjmere. I have a feeling I'll be celebrating President's Day today with some self-gifting, after I have that good cry.

Kiliwia, so nice to see you back -- and I'm so sorry about the rough start to your year.

I'm wearing Tam Dao this morning. Clearly, I'm needing comfort for some reason. Between that and the crying, I guess I need to go figure out what's going on. Perhaps stretching and yoga will help unclog the emotional plumbing.

SOTE

I've been MIA a few days ... work has been really really busy. I get home too late and too tired to walk down to the computer. I'm off today and tomorrow though, so catching up on some much-needed rest! I'm wearing Todd Oldham today, not taking the easy way out in fragrance. This is loud and boozy; too much for work, but nice to wear at home.

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Good afternoon everyone. We're having another big snowfall today, but since it's President's Day it's easy to stay inside and enjoy the snow-globe effect.

Xscent, I had planned to wear Une Fleur de Cassie, as well, but my Enlevement au Serail arrived and I had to wear that instead. It makes me feel content.

I am new, obviously, but I am struck by the warm atmosphere here, as so many of you remark. Thank you to everyone for making this new member feel welcome. Especially Mike, who is so very kind. Mike, I do have a sample of Grandiflora Magnolia Michel which on first sniff seems more floral than the lovely citrus Sandrine. I will report back.

Blog Entries

Annick Goutal-
    Eau D'Hadrien EDP

Basenotes Plus

It's a beautiful, sunny, 63F in my neck of the woods and I'm wearing Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L'Artisan.

Blog Entries

SotA - L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Blog Entries

Evening all,

Kiliwia; lovely to see you, & l hope your year is getting better.

Jon; you mentioned quite a few people that l miss, too. l do hope they are all ok.

Back to grey skies & rain here today & a manic Monday for me too. l wore Seville a l'Aube to try & keep the sunshine from yesterday in my nose & heart, but it was tough going. Snuggling up in vintage Samsara EDT this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Oh Kumquat, I adore the artwork you've shared. I have a thing for botanical artwork. So quaint and precise and the color is always gorgeous. And you smell fantastic to boot!

Mocha, you are so right, this place couldn't be any friendlier, and Mike certainly is a sweet spirit! So glad you are feeling like a part of the group so quickly, that is always a good sign!

Basenotes Institution

Erink - you're welcome. I say, try it if it's easy to get a sample. Mind you, I am sampling the Water Perfume, not the Oil. But if I were you I'd try the Le Labo first. It was love at first sniff.
    Kiliwia - welcome back!!!
    danieq - yeah I guess Norell was pretty popular when it came out, for my mom to own a bottle. I remember being a little boy and watching her put on her makeup, to get dressed, and she would ask me to pick her fragrance for her, from her nightstand. And I always picked Norell. I remember that clearly. I always loved the way it smelled on her. I wore it Saturday night, but I have to say, it didn't smell exactly the same to me. I wasn't sure if this was because I was smelling a re-formulated version, or if my nose has evolved. Also, I had just come from the gym, and so my body temperature was very hot. I might have burnt-through the scent too quickly. I have to sample it again. Floral chypres are not really my thing (I prefer the fruity or leather ones) but this scent is just chock-full of memories for me.
    shadesofbleu - ((bear hugs)) for you, just because
    Mocha - you're very welcome. I am happy to welcome you, as many that were here before me welcomed me when I was a new person on BN. Stick around, you'll learn a lot, smell fantastic and then you can welcome new people also. That's how it works here.

More vanilla - ness in:

Shalimar (parfum) by Guerlain

I blame tdem1961
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Worrying about Twolf. Wondering about Kiliwia. Kiliwia might be subject to the I-went-to-a-BN-meet-up-and-will-now-fade-from-view experience.
    Lol, no that definitely isn't what happened, I just got a little overwhelmed with too many things to do. I share your concern about Twolf, I haven't heard from her for some time, think I'll write to her. Also, Elizrj, I have her address too. I did pm her but didn't get a response. Thank you Xscent, Danieq, ErinK, Frou Frou, Jon, Extreme K, teardrop and Mike for the sweet comments. My brother is doing better than he was last week, so things are looking up.

Welcome to the Scent ot the Day group, Mocha! So glad to have you join us!!

Wearing the always interesting Dune this evening. With notes including aldehydes, bergamot, Brazilian rosewood, peony, jasmine, lily, rose, treacle-mustard, ylang ylang, ambergris, benzoin, oakmoss, musk, patchouli, sandalwood and vanilla.

Have a great evening, everyone! xoxo
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 17th February 2014 at 10:46 PM.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

((((kiliwia)))! Smelling good there!

queen of the universe

Xscent, you will be en pointe? Where? Occasion? Merde!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I quite enjoy getting saddle sore myself with Royal Delight - the problem with Zafar definitely lies further back and a little lower down .
    James Bond or James Herriott ?. I'll wear the tuxedo, drive the Aston Martin and leave the wellies and Land Rover for someone else. Any takers ?.
    Jon being a city girl get I ride very rarely and even then it's at a meandering pace. I do love Astons, my neighbour drives a Vantage (I’m still waiting delivery on my ‘fun’ car it's not an Aston though). I must see if the inside of the glove box smells like M and I'll take the rover and wellies in case you get bogged and need rescuing.

Mocha I have been craving Une Fleur de Cassie recently so I’m sure I will be in your very good company soon.

FrouFrou thank you! I love this fragrance it has the most gorgeous spicy lilac accord, not what you expect from Guerlain but it's utterly enchanting.

Tuesday morning for me, the delightful Bel Respiro for this morning run, now off to the office.
    Last edited by Xscent; 18th February 2014 at 07:40 AM.

Xscent, you make me very intrigued, I always sort of passed Guerlinade by thinking sort of ''basic Guerlain'', but now I think I will need to have a closer sniff at it.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Xscent, you will be en pointe? Where? Occasion? Merde!
    Jujy I've been doing pre pointe work for a year and last night I (barely and briefly) danced en point in ballet class. I haven't donned point shoes almost two decades! Madness but fun.

I went to ballet classes as a young girl....
    I'm not joining in, I have this image in my mind....

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Xscent, you make me very intrigued, I always sort of passed Guerlinade by thinking sort of ''basic Guerlain'', but now I think I will need to have a closer sniff at it.
    Please do! It hasn't got that expected Guerlain complexity but it's worthwhile seeking out if you like lilac. I received my bottle for Christmas (limited edition from 1998). Kumquat recently acquired a bottle as well. I think you can still find them occasionally. If you have trouble locating some let me know.

Love the Vicar of Dibley clip
    Last edited by Xscent; 18th February 2014 at 05:25 AM.

I will check it out. A good lilac is very rare.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Yes, there is Geurlinade on EBay and probably other places, it's just expensive as all get out. :-/

FrouFrou another good one is Puredistance Opardu, I'm almost through my vial and will be upgrading to 60mls. It's divine.

Kumquat I was a bit heartbroken when I realised backups of this beauty would be highly unlikely.

Blog Entries

It's pretty sad what you have to pay for some good stuff. This was $400 50ml.

Yikes! Then again I suspect it was not cheap when released either.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Bond No. 9 New Haarlem tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon