Code of Conduct

Talking Men fragrances you like and do not like

Hello ladies,

Sorry to intervene on the female section of the forum, but I've got a question and would like to hear your opinion.

I am trying out some new fragrances. Just recently I tried Dior Homme Intense. First I smelled it on a piece of paper in a store, then I read and watched some (video)reviews and finally I tried a sample on my skin. In several reviews this particular fragrance got 10 out of 10 points and it was described as (I quote) a "babe magnet". Well, first of all, I buy a fragrance for myself and not for anyone else, but hey... if girls like it, then that's a bonus

So here was the big moment... I opened the little sample bottle... put some of the fragrance on my skin, and damn... I didn't like it...! It smelled (and kept smelling) sort of alcoholic and it made me a bit dizzy. So I ended up not liking it at all.

Last year I found a great fragrance, Jaipur Homme by Boucheron. It's an oriental spicy fragrance surrounded by vanilla. I like it I think that I do like the oriental, a bit spicy type of fragrances better than the really sweet fragrances.

And now my question for you... are there (in general) fragrance types you do not like, or fragrance types you do always like? For example... do you (almost) always like fragrances that are spicy or have vanilla in them... or do you always "hate" fragrances that are very sweet? And of course I mean male fragrances, not female ones.

Thanks for your replies!

Default Re: Men fragrances you like and do not like

Ooops... already 109 views and not a single reply...
    Is my question not clear?

Your question is very clear, but every person has different taste, so my opinion won't tell you anything about anyone else's.

But here goes:

1. I don't like fougeres or aquatics, generally. There are a few exceptions.

2. I do tend to like wood and leather. There are many exceptions.

3. I don't believe in the distinction between men's and women's fragrances. Many here do, but I think a smell is a smell and if you like it you should wear it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Kagey
    I appreciate it.

Yes, every person has a different taste, but who knows... maybe there are certain type of fragrances that many girls like... or not like! So I'm very curious!

This is such a difficult question, different people like different fragrances, and fragrances can work out differently on different skins.

So I like woody and fougère fragrances. On men but also on myself!
    And I read somwhere ages ago that the problem with perfumes is that a lot of women like fragrances marketed to women on men because they are in ''women's taste'' and vice versa. So what to do? I think stick to what you like and see how that works for you. If it doesn't try something else.

Apparently all women like ''Axe''...
    Although my brother wore it and I haven't seen reactions to him like in the commercials strangely enough.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I don't like aquatics on anyone. I don't like bitter-smelling anything (green or herbs or tar) but generally prefer incense, orientals, leather, and woody fragrances, although I am not averse to florals depending on the guy. Some guys wear florals well, others not. It really is about personal preference. I have perfumes men don't like but I wear them anyway (usually when the man is not around, but not always).

I don't think there's any way to generalize across women -- or fragrance types for that matter.

There are women who adore sweet/gourmand/vanilla fragrances (but will still find individual fragrances of this type to be repellant), and there are women who can't abide sweet/gourmand/vanilla fragrances (but may find one or two they like).

If there is a specific woman in your life and you want to appeal to what she likes, work with her to find something you both love. If there isn't a specific special someone, figure out what you love and wear it. Simple as that.

That said, I personally quite enjoy Jaipur Homme and orientals generally, particularly those with prominent amber, benzoin, and/or vanilla notes.

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Apparently all women like ''Axe''...
    Although my brother wore it and I haven't seen reactions to him like in the commercials strangely enough.
    Hehehe... you made me smile

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I don't think there's any way to generalize across women -- or fragrance types for that matter.
    Don't worry... that is not my intention at all But it is nice to talk to some ladies and learn something from you.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    That said, I personally quite enjoy Jaipur Homme and orientals generally, particularly those with prominent amber, benzoin, and/or vanilla notes.
    I like Japuir Homme as well... and now I'm looking for something similar, or even better. I have been wearing Boss Bottled for years (I like its sweet warmth) and discovered Jaipur Homme (EdP) last year. Now I'm looking for a new spicy vanilla fragrance like Jaipur Homme, but with a bit of the warmth of Boss Bottled

I agree, one can't effectively generalize. However, here are my personal preferences.

I dislike Aquatics in the extreme. Not a fan of Polo Green or it's ilk. Frankly, I tend to not like most of what I notice on men, usually because it is way oversprayed. I don't, in particular want to smell a man when he's 20 feet from me, or 10 ft. Or even two feet. I like a scent to be more intimate on a man, I don't want to be overpowered by a man on any level, fragrance included.

I do enjoy leather, oriental and gormand type fragrances. Citrus can be good as well.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    ... I don't want to be overpowered by a man on any level, fragrance included.
    That's interesting. What exactly do you mean with this? How can a man "overpower" you with a fragrance? I read and interpret "overpowering" as a situation in which man and woman are not equal, and where the man has "power" over you. That sounds a bit scary actually. Especially when this situation is triggered by a fragrance. Every person is equal. Not any man in this world has "power" over you. The only one who has power over you, is you yourself. Please always remember that.

My friends have usually commented that a man smells "nice" when he is wearing one of the usual, popular fragrances. Back in the 1980s, Paco Rabanne, say, and now, something like D&G Light Blue pour Homme. It shows the wisdom of the marketplace, I guess.

One thing I have noticed is that if a man wears the same thing regularly, I tend to associate him with that fragrance. Then when I think of him, I think of him as smelling nice.

Disclaimer: I'm older than your target "babe" market, and I'm married so I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about other men's scents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnifferMan View Post
    That's interesting. What exactly do you mean with this? How can a man "overpower" you with a fragrance? I read and interpret "overpowering" as a situation in which man and woman are not equal, and where the man has "power" over you. That sounds a bit scary actually. Especially when this situation is triggered by a fragrance. Every person is equal. Not any man in this world has "power" over you. The only one who has power over you, is you yourself. Please always remember that.
    I read that very simply as being "overpowered" by the fumes, from someone having sprayed too much strong fragrance. To experience the phenomenon, walk into an Abercrombie & Fitch store.

I am picky, nothing too citrusy, aquatic and hate vanilla and sweet. Heliotrope is beyond disgusting to me, staring at you, Armani Code Ultimate. Like woody, leather, herbal, slightly floral. I don't care for DHI though.
    Last edited by kalli; 17th February 2014 at 09:27 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that if a man wears the same thing regularly, I tend to associate him with that fragrance. Then when I think of him, I think of him as smelling nice.

Disclaimer: I'm older than your target "babe" market, and I'm married so I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about other men's scents.
    Hehe... lol :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I read that very simply as being "overpowered" by the fumes, from someone having sprayed too much strong fragrance.
    That is how you could see it... but she says "I don't want to be overpowered by a man on any level". On any level suggests more than just by a fragrance..

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I am picky, nothing too citrusy, aquatic and hate vanilla and sweet. Like woody, leather, herbal, slightly floral. I don't care for DHI though.
    Thanks I do like vanilla.. if subtle and not too sweet!

I can't think of any subtle vanillas that aren't very sweet.

Vanilla ruined Dark Obsession by CK, imo, I like some notes..but it was all vanilla on the dry down.
    Last edited by kalli; 17th February 2014 at 09:37 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Jaipur Homme by Boucheron! Spicy with a bit vanilla in the background... It's niiiice

Anti; milkchocolate , sweet vanilla
    Pro: Woody, spice

I wanted to like Jaipur but it was too sweet for me and too much tonka bean or was it benzoin..I think the later bugged me more but I think perhaps both did. Too much vanilla-ish notes, too balsamic in the end. Too much cinnamon is a no-go for me too.
    Last edited by kalli; 17th February 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Too bad... such a nice fragrance Did you smell the EdP?

I have always liked the oldfashioned leather and tobacco fragrances.

I remember cycling through Amsterdam two years ago cycling through the sillage trail of a bloke wearing Encre Noir and nearly making a somersault on the bike by whipping my head around trying to see which dude had such good taste.
    But again, it's totally personal.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Is ''sillage trail'' a tautology?
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Is ''sillage trail'' a tautology?
    I guess it is

I like to smell almost anything on a man, but the powerhouse classics are the best. No aquatics if possible, please. Bel Ami, Antaeus, and Fahrenheit are some examples. Did you try Boucheron Boucheron? The bottle is amazingly hideous, but the juice inside is fantastic. If you are not into the chest pounding category, it is still a good idea to keep a bottle or two in your collection just in case.

Nope haven't tried that... what does it smell like?

Spices, herbs, citrus, vetiver, woods...bright and complex...masculine but fresh; a far cry from vanilla cupcakes and laundry detergent.

Doesn't sound to bad, though I like vanilla (if not too sweet)

I like vanilla too
    It was just nice to sniff something different...

Ah, allright. I understand

The scents I like on men are usually the ones I wear myself.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My biggest turn off is scent that is too strong. I am crazy for any Tom Ford on a man, appropriately applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The scents I like on men are usually the ones I wear myself.
    Seriously? Does this mean you like to wear male fragrances yourself? Or do you like the guy to wear female fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    My biggest turn off is scent that is too strong. I am crazy for any Tom Ford on a man, appropriately applied.
    Well, that is difficult. When is a fragrance too strong? Do you only want to smell it when you're in the guys neck, or would you like to smell him as well when you're walking next to him? What is "too strong" in your opinion?