Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default House of the Matriarch - Suggestions Please???

I'm not really too familiar with House of the Matriarch other than the fact that they're picking up steam here and doing good things. The line is rather expensive as well due to the use of high quality materials and they're where else...? The Pacific NW, where all the new American niche houses seem to be popping up these days :-)

Those familiar with the house, can you please suggest me (2) 3.3ml sprayers for me to pick up? Only want to pick up a few for now as they're not too cheap.

A few things about my tastes:

Love: WOOD, INCENSE, Amber, Tobacco, Vetiver, Gourmands (not too sweet)

Hate: LEATHER, Overly floral

Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by rynegne; 18th February 2014 at 02:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: House of the Matriarch - Suggestions Please???

Feel free to share your thoughts on the fragrances as well, even if they include notes/accords that I'm not into. I'd like to know more about the line as there's not much on here regarding HoM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I have only tried Devotion and Blackbird so far. I loved Devotion--Incense with a capital I with a woody/amber/vanilla drydown that tempers the incense. It has a leather note, but mostly it's gorgeous dark smoky incense on me, not tarry, with amber and woody accents. Blackbird smelled like asphalt and I scrubbed it. Do let us know what you decide!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing foxbins!

I'll note Devotion as a possible sample to get. The note breakdown looks amazing aside from the leather as I can tolerate leather if it's playing second fiddle and really hidden behind other notes.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I have only tried Devotion and Blackbird so far. I loved Devotion--Incense with a capital I with a woody/amber/vanilla drydown that tempers the incense. It has a leather note, but mostly it's gorgeous dark smoky incense on me, not tarry, with amber and woody accents. Blackbird smelled like asphalt and I scrubbed it. Do let us know what you decide!

Post Thanks / Like

Have got samples of Maj, Bohemian Black and Blackbird.

Ted at HoM was generous enough to give a full 3.3 full sample of Maj .

Wearing Bohemian Black today and only been an hour and I can say that I love the fantastic opening! A little citrus and herbal and astringent and unique ...love it and waiting to see how it develops over the day. Smells a little like a high class barbershop citrus scent. I think this will be a FB buy for sure

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Blackbird, for sure. Although I like a few, that's by far the best in my opinion.

Oh wait, no leather! I still think you should try it as it's not screechy awful leather like Tom Ford or something.

We had a great Matriarch thread going here a while ago that Huddler ate All of my reviews should be posted on the "other" site though.

One thing to keep in mind with Matriarch is that they wear quite different to other scents due to the construction. They tend to vanish quite fast and then reappear throughout the day. Some stick around much longer than others, though.
    Last edited by deadidol; 18th February 2014 at 03:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick sniff of vial of Maj promises a beauty can't wait to see how it developed compared to traditional majuma attar which have a strong vetiver earthy component

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be quite popular. Not sure it's for me though w/ leather being a main player in this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Blackbird, for sure. Although I like a few, that's by far the best in my opinion.
    Based on notes alone, I'm currently eyeing up Bohemian Black, Ambre Vie or Coco Blanc.

blackheart2925, the opening of BB does sound interesting w/ the limoncello note.

Post Thanks / Like

II went with some 7 small sprays from the sample vial as I could not smell it properly enough then...after an hour or so now I can smell it hovering around in a cloud and easily detected. Guess less is good for BB as it seems to develop with time

Post Thanks / Like

Darn Huddler! Thanks deadidol. I'll have to read your reviews and narrow my decision down. I'm find with fast vanishing perfumes if they stay close and waft throughout the day. As long as they don't disappear entirely!

Oh wait, no leather! I still think you should try it as it's not screechy awful leather like Tom Ford or something.

We had a great Matriarch thread going here a while ago that Huddler ate All of my reviews should be posted on the "other" site though.

One thing to keep in mind with Matriarch is that they wear quite different to other scents due to the construction. They tend to vanish quite fast and then reappear throughout the day. Some stick around much longer than others, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok on my skin ...BB lasted ten plus hours can still smell it faintly on the skin after nearly twelve hours ...probably around the 6-7 hrs it started reducing slowly towards a skin scent...
    The drydown is a light vanilla, creamy sandalwood kind of mix to my nose with a bit of incense (frankincense) also somewhere...

Awesome juice this one and I love it.

P.s. apologies for any confusion but by BB i meant Bohemian Black:-) not Blackbird thats third in the line I mean to sample

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by blackheart2925; 18th February 2014 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

See, this gets me interested. Seeing leather as the top note smelled on the "other" site has me worried a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    The drydown is a light vanilla, creamy sandalwood kind of mix to my nose with a bit of incense (frankincense) also somewhere...

Awesome juice this one and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Seems to be quite popular. Not sure it's for me though w/ leather being a main player in this.

Based on notes alone, I'm currently eyeing up Bohemian Black, Ambre Vie or Coco Blanc
    Ambre Vie is very similar to 114 and Coco Blanc is a sweet chocolate scent. Blabkbird's leather will surprise you as it doesn't dominate. It's essentially a counter cultural head shop type incense with seaweed.

Post Thanks / Like

On Bohemian Black, the opening was fantastic even though am not too fond of citrusy openings..this was an eye opener that a citrus smell can be like this.

The citrus kind of smell started changing to something else after about 90 mins so quite a long lasting opening I must say.

Btw got my first whiff of this line thanks to deadidol mentioning the name in some thread:-) then a visit to the site of HoM and reading the descriptions got me hooked...plan to sample almost all of them and buy FB of what I like.

I have a few samples of majuma attar obtained locally and there are some variations from shop to shop (finally some advantages of being in india hehe) am looking forward to trying out House of Matriarch's take on this...

Last edited by blackheart2925; 19th February 2014 at 01:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up 3.3ml's of Bohemian Black and Blackbird. I'll be sure to post my thoughts when they arrive.

I haven't tried Bohemian Black, so I'll look forward forward to hearing your thoughts. I've tried pretty much everything else, so if there are specific ones that you want impressions of, I can post them. The Maj is pretty fun but may be redundant if you already have a majmua attar. SexMagic is good as well, although it's quite a bit more challenging than BB.

BB is hugely deceptive. I've put it on early in the day and thought it had disappeared, only to have it explode on me later. I've accidentally foghorned my gym with it before as it's one of the most heat-reactive scents I've run across. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say enough about the quality from the brand. As Deadidol notes, they perform like whispery extrait de parfum.

It's redundant to praise Blackbird, but it was a love at first whiff, and instantly became not just another perfume from my collection, but an olfactive elixir I hold dearly. Not a safe blind buy, it certainly deserves a few wearings to appreciate it's character. I look forward Rynegne to your impressions.

My favourites from the line are: Carmine, Cococ Blanc, Forbidden, Midnight and Devotion. I've yet had the chance to sample both the Sacre Tabac's or Bohemian Black, so any impressions would be intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like

One word description ...interesting!

That's Blackbird in a nutshell for me.

Opening smells of plastic/gasoline/burning rubber...but not unpleasant nor overbearing. Lasts around 2 hrs and continues evolving.

Wore this to office and first comment from a colleague was "strong in a nice way" and as per him stronger opening than Bohemian Black and more distinct. By then I could not smell anything but my colleague could :-)

Projection around a hands distance from the body...

The opening feels like its playing hide and seek with the other elements now and then I can sniff the mid notes and slowly the middle comes to the fore.

A little white musk and powdery creamy accord is what o detect in the smell...soon something else blooms reminds me a little of snuff powder which people inhale at times...interesting hints of other things here and there but not able to identify due to lack of experience..again I can only detect this now and then but other people said they can still smell it when I come close. So not yet a skin scent.

As of now am going back home from work and still lingering so easily lasted 9+ hrs plus

An interesting thing I noted is that the perfume seems quite thick. After spraying, like an attar or essential oil, even after an hour or so I could see an oily sheen on my skin where I had sprayed.

So between the two, for me Bohemian Black is easily a FB buy and as big a bottle as possible no doubt about it :-) I want to drown myself in it.

Blackbird I need one / two more wearings to decide but I think I would perhaps get a smaller one to start with...I guess my nose needs to develop more. And I can certainly imagine certain dates and work dinners where this would be suitable

As of now tried two perfumes from HoM and liked both enough to consider buying full bottles...am a bit scared to try the third sample Maj lest I like that too :-(

Makes me more keen to try the others from this house. Hope there are some which i dont like...:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok seeing deadidols comment that BB is heat reactive got me wondering ...

Decided to exhale closely on the spot on the wrist where I had sprayed Blackbird, a few times and wow...it seems to have reactivated...I can now get hints of a leather and a little buzz of something creamish !

Nice!!! Can't wait to see how it will bloom in typical heat and humidity of the indian summer...

This is an interesting perfume by god...

Post Thanks / Like

Default House of the Matriarch

Got my fragrances today! Ted was kind enough to give me a few samples, one of which was Ambre Vie...I've only spent a few hours with it, but here is what I have so far in terms of a short review:

Ambre Vie is a dusty, warm, semi-sweet amber lying on a soft bed of clean, not too animalic musk. It does lean slightly gourmand...as an ever so slightly vanillic amber gives this fragrance just a hint of butterscotch. Ambre Vie then mellows down into a smooth and luxurious powdery incense with wafts of clean white smoke and comfortable amber throughout. Lovers of LDDM might want to give this highly unisex amber a shot. Ambre Vie definitely isn't an uber macho amber fragrance. I think both men and women that found TF Amber Absolute or Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan a little to brash or in your face, you may want to give this a shot as it's a much softer, smoother, richer representation of amber.

These are quite expensive scents, I will admit. However, you can really tell with my first fragrance (Ambre Vie) that no expense was spared in terms of the quality materials that were used to create this fragrance.
    Last edited by rynegne; 24th February 2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW NorOud (Oud and Hops - a Northerly bright fragrance.)

Post Thanks / Like

Blackbird -

Let just start by saying...to say I strongly dislike leather is an understatement. I really have a general distaste for fragrances with strong leather accords and this one does have a strong leather accord. HOWEVER, if leather was like this in all fragrances I would not have such strong negative feelings about "leather forward" fragrances.

Blackbird begins pretty loud as an extremely soft and mellow Italian luxury black leather with what I can only describe as "strong green notes." I don't the pot vibe, sorry. I'm guessing that's just part of the Seattle story or the pot in the Pacific NW is much different than here in Chicago. This is more plant material like a conifer forest deep in the woods of the Pacific NW. Blackbird dries down to a pronounced head shop incense with leather and the unmistakeable plant material notes playing second fiddle ever so lightly in the background along with a light floral (tuberose?) Each accord seems to come back during the dry down, like a hook in a song. Definitely a wafting scent after starting off quite strong as described by other reviewers. That's to be expected of a fragrance with a 33% concentration. This is one that I think is worthy of the hefty price tag. If you've been looking for a scent and nothing has been unique enough for you or just hasn't moved you...I urge you to try this one. 10/10 in my book and I'm only 4 hours into my wearing. My wallet will hate me, but I might have to get this one.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW NorOud (Oud and Hops - a Northerly bright fragrance.)

It's the best of the line to my nose. A totally fun head shop blast!

Post Thanks / Like

An incredible fragrance, for sure. I still have to try the others that I received. Coco Blanc and Bohemian Black. But this is going to be a hard one to beat. One of those fragrances that moves you, quite compelling...not many fragrances make me feel this way.

It's the best of the line to my nose. A totally fun head shop blast!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Blackbird - with what I can only describe as "strong green notes." I don't the pot vibe, sorry.
    I compared the "pot note" in my review to a oily hashish brick, which could account in that strong petroleum accord in the opening. I only found a faint powdery hemp soap vibe during the drydown, when worn outside in warmer weather. So it's far from being the reefer odour that everyone always expects from a cannabis note.
    Last edited by Arij; 25th February 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Never smelled hash oil but I do get the petro connection which I really like. I'm trying to put my finger on the floral part, I'm thinking tuberose possibly? Not too sure as I've never smelled the raw material for reference. But, I have smelled pot and this isn't it. Surprisingly, this is one I could find myself wearing all year, even in warmer months. I think I might need to sell some of my collection off to make way for this. I love the fact that I keep thinking the fragrances has run its course for the day and it comes rushing back to my nose...just as strong as it was about 2 hours in which is pretty good considering I just went over 8 hours of wear time. Still picking up the fragrance on my skin, very light and moderate amount on the t-shirt in which I sprayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Bohemian Black -

Starts out with limoncello up front and center accompanied by a strong herbal accord for the better part of a few hours. Bohemian Black then completely morphs into bouquet of amped up white florals lying on a bed of citrusy resins & incense, and a very warm/light/sweet amber. Intensely rich woods seem to further amplify the floral notes.

I love the opening of Bohemian Black. It's really nice for a lack of a better description...Love the sweet limoncello jockeying for position over a wonderful, intensely herbal accord. What I'm not in love with is the heart and base of the fragrance which is all about white floral notes surrounding rich woods.

This is more "Bohemian" than it is "Black" to me. I would have liked a little more spice, smoke or wood with the overtly floral dry down...something to shake it up a bit in the very rich heart/base as the intense herbal notes do in the opening. Nice, but the dry down wasn't for me, although unisex, this leans a little too far into feminine territory as it does get powdery with the richness of the florals (not my thing.)

EDIT: Additionally, there's some really nice Mysore Sandalwood that kicks in about the 7 hour mark. If this fragrance started the same, skipped the floral blast and went straight to the warm, smooth Mysore finish...it'd be in my collection. So, for lovers of Mysore and white floral notes, this should be on your radar!

One thing I will say about the line is all of the scents I've tried before have KILLER longevity and sillage. House of Matriarch Perfumes are well worth the money in terms of performance, quality of materials and uniqueness. The line exudes both quality luxury.
    Last edited by rynegne; 27th February 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Hope everyone found my reviews useful. I will be purchasing Blackbird for sure, even though it's expensive...much more expensive per ml than I'm used to buying. However, it's the one that really reached out and grabbed my full attention.

These are quality scents...of the four I tried, all have wonderful longevity and sillage. One thing I really liked about HoM scents is the way all of the fragrances transitioned from the topnotes to basenotes like no other house I've tried to be honest.

Sampling Coco Blanc from HoM today. Here are my thoughts on the last one I have in my recent purchase from the line:

Coco Blanc -

Starts off shaved coconut mingling with white chocolate. Coco Blanc then settles into what smells like a gourmet hazelnut/vanilla white chocolate latte. Once settled in a nice woodiness meets a very light musk and hint of spice which gets slightly dusty. This is a well blended and harmonious scent, which seems to be a theme in HoM fragrances...switching gears ever so smoothly. Then, before you know it a different accord jumps off the skin and demands your attention. Great stuff. A must sample for gourmand lovers.

Post Thanks / Like

great reviews! i have been eyeing the Supernatural sampler...13 3.3ml sample vials at $180...maybe my math is wrong but it turns out to be way cheaper than getting the samples piecemeal...

am torn between whether to pop for this or pop for LM Parfums samples

the HoM scents seem to be complex blends, rich and lush scents with some amazing longevity certainly worth trying in depth

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks blackheart, I was doing the math as well as I want to purchase Blackbird. The 15ml is $130, but the 3.3ml samples are $24 a piece bringing the total to $120, about $10 cheaper than the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried The Maj today.

Have a few variations or Majuma attars made locally and unlike them this opens with a very toned down and tame vetiver...not overpowering rooty earthy smell but a nice dark and green vetiver.

Unlike the other two I tried, this one, the vetiver quickly gets subsumed under a citrust floral smell. Quite soon a creamy sandalwood mixed with other things start coming to the and ,that persists for a long time.

Like the others longevity is very good easily 8+ hours and unlike the others this one is more discreet and smooth and calming.

Good for the days when one needs soothing and a calm perfume which helps balance the Zen :-)

All three are long lasting and quite interesting and my order of preference

Bohemian Black
    Maj
    Blackbird

Quite possibly may end up buying the first two if not all three.

Now am scared to try further samples :-(

Last edited by blackheart2925; 4th March 2014 at 03:55 PM.