Code of Conduct

Default Tuscan Leather appreciation thread.

Oh. My. God.

From the first spray i fell in love with this scent. It was like my nose immediately reached orgasm.

The subtle raspberry is divine... I also get a very small whiff of... I'm not really sure but maybe suede? But all of this is overshadowed by the fucking BRILLIANT leather.

It's not a 'new car smell' leather.
    It's not a leather jacket leather.
    It's not leather shoes leather.
    It's smooth, intense and beautiful... If the desire for sex took on the scent of leather then this is what it would smell like.

It projects in everyone's face. It's loud and aggressive - but that's only a compliment for the fragrance. This is a fragrance that fucking knows how good it is and is doing everyone a favour by invading their noses. This leather is like a little friend sitting on your shoulder making everyone say nice things to you. It's a leather angel on your shoulder.

After this journey it softens into this silky smooth, classy, gorgeous amber and something else. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on what else i'm smelling here, but i like it. I love it.

This is the fragrance that has made perfume an addiction for me. Forever from now on, a new primal urge has been introduced into my DNA. Much like as a man i have a primal urge to spread my seed, i now have a primal, carnal urge to smell every fucking fragrance in the world.

TL;DR This smell is fucking fantastic.

Default Re: Tuscan Leather appreciation thread.

Great fragrance indeed. The first private blend I had the pleasure to sample when it was released. Perfect for the fall and winter months.

Nice frag. You have an eloquent way with words.

Laughing....that should be a commercial be on television. One of my favorites...enjoy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

IMHO, Thee best in this Genre of leather : the saffron , the smokiness is exquisite and made just right !!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    IMHO, Thee best in this Genre of leather : the saffron , the smokiness is exquisite and made just right !!!
    Is it saffron that's the extra smell i don't know the name of in the dry down?!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Nice frag. You have an eloquent way with words.
    Hey, thanks mate!

yes, I'd have to agree. One of my favourites as well. It layers fairly well with other fragrances too.

The only downer is if you hit a piece of clothing with it accidentally, it's going to smell like that for a while.
    Last edited by LMT; 18th February 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
    Is it saffron that's the extra smell i don't know the name of in the dry down?!

Hey, thanks mate!
    In so many words I too share your passion for this fragrance. It's something I wear both when I want to smell incredible and LOUD and just lounging around at home on the couch.

However more importantly any fragrance that shoots the frag addiction in your veins is a keeper, and how fitting that the frag now associated with cocaine was the one to do this too you.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

This is the fragrance that has made perfume an addiction for me. Forever from now on, a new primal urge has been introduced into my DNA. Much like as a man i have a primal urge to spread my seed, i now have a primal, carnal urge to smell every fucking fragrance in the world.
    classic!

I prefer Tuscan Leather to Tobacco Vanille. Its my SOTD (layered with TV). It also layers excellently with the A word..

TL is an amazing scent. In my top two.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

My favorite fragrance for sure!

It's a good one that actually smells like real plush leather than a lot of leather fragrances on the market.

cool f****** story, bro.

Watch your effing language

Seriously, though, take a look at the code of conduct so that we don't have to wash your mouth out with Neroli Portofino.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    Laughing....that should be a commercial be on television. One of my favorites...enjoy.
    That commercial would have to run on adult cable TV!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Watch your effing language

Seriously, though, take a look at the code of conduct so that we don't have to wash your mouth out with Neroli Portofino.
    LOL, Or wash it out with Mugler cologne.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

my favourite leather, got a 3.4 fl oz back up on the way....

Quote Originally Posted by LMT View Post
    yes, I'd have to agree. One of my favourites as well. It layers fairly well with other fragrances too.

The only downer is if you hit a piece of clothing with it accidentally, it's going to smell like that for a while.
    This exactly. Got it on a shirt, and after 2 washes there is still a faint smell of TL....man talk about longevity. The paper I sprayed a sample on at Sacs a month ago still has the scent. Too bad this is not one that I like much.

Basenotes Plus

wearing it again today, i am truly thinking it's bottle worthy for me....time to see my favorite sexy SA at Nordstroms

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    wearing it again today, i am truly thinking it's bottle worthy for me....time to see my favorite sexy SA at Nordstroms
    Man those chicks at Nordstroms are sexy as hell. They only hire the pretty young things!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Triceptive View Post
    Man those chicks at Nordstroms are sexy as hell. They only hire the pretty young things!!
    Mine is fantastic AND also quite attentive and emails me when things are on sale or if new stuff comes in. I tend to buy my juice from authorized dealers and buy it new, and my SA knows that while I am picky - i buy what i like and don't mess around. Using the same SA also builds up a good relationship where she already knows the stuff I like and can refer me to other things - but half the time I am educating HER on fragrance. She's a late 30's woman though -- but just smoking hot.

Sorry to bump this TL 'lovefest'

It sucks imo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It sucks imo
    I'm not a fan either It's one of the most belligerent perfumes on the market. Compared to stuff like Cuir Ottoman, Blackbird, Cuir de Russie, Leather Oud, Knize Ten, Sarrasins, M, Jeke etc., it's grim. It has a place in the fragrance world and very specific target audience, but when situated in context with other leather fragrances, much of its true structure comes to light -- it's just a massive whack of a suederal. Each to their own and all that!

I like to find ways to hide it in my car(air vents, door pockets, under seats, etc) so when the honeydips get in, first thing they smell is cocaine. They know what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

if you love Tuscan leather..try also Montale Leather aoud and Dueto Golden Boy also Clive Christian C, they are all pretty similar!

Tuscan Leather is a masterpiece, by far the best of the Private Collection. I own a couple others but Tuscan Leather is the only one that will forever be in my collection.

I love it. My wife hates it.

It has a place in the fragrance world and very specific target audience,

So what do you mean by "very specific target audience?"

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    So what do you mean by "very specific target audience?"
    I was referring to the notion that it's a big, attention-getting scent. It reminds me a lot of Bond type scents in that the volume is cranked up really high to make sure it's really noticeable. I find Tobacco Vanille to be the same, but I guess that could really be said for any high volume scent. I like Rien myself, which is just as loud (if not more so), but Rien doesn't strike me as a leather per se -- it's more of an irreverent pleather kind of thing! This one tends to come across as more serious in that respect.

It's definitely one for the such longevity and much projection fans.
    Last edited by deadidol; 19th February 2014 at 07:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I really did not like it at first. Smelled it on the card and promptly ignored it. But since I already own a few from the PB line, and have nice samples of the ones I don't own, I ended up getting a 5 ml glass vial sample this past weekend. Decided to wear it to the office, and just really like the longevity and the development of TL. I am only dabbing on a LITTLE (as per usual for me, less is more). Not spraying 3-4 sprays from a bottle (choke). My office assistant has a pretty sensitive nose and let's me know if I am wearing something egregious or annoying to her.

I don't really get the "loud" comments, but I am sure it could be if someone put on too much of it.

However: (disclaimer) - I am one of the least knowledgeable people here on BN, I just go by what my nose enjoys. I very much like reading everyone's opinions, they are fun.

I was referring to the notion that it's a big, attention-getting scent. It reminds me a lot of Bond type scents in that the volume is cranked up really high to make sure it's really noticeable. I find Tobacco Vanille to be the same, but I guess that could really be said for any high volume scent. I like Rien myself, which is just as loud (if not more so), but Rien doesn't strike me as a leather per se -- it's more of an irreverent pleather kind of thing! This one tends to come across as more serious in that respect.

That's weird because my hesitation in buying Tuscan Leather was exactly that--that it would be this big, loud attention whore--where that's not really my style in general.

But I was thrilled to find out that at least for me, it's actually on the middle or even mellow side of the spectrum. TL doesn't radiate more than 2 or 3 feet off of me at its very peak, and sits at about a foot for the majority of its duration. I wore it yesterday in the car, on the train, subway, to dinner and a show, and my wife (who has a great nose) said it was fine. She'll let me know immediately if I have too much on. I never got that self-conscious feeling that creeps in when you know you're projecting too much and I was in some tight spaces to boot. It sat close. And I had applied 4 or 5 sprays. I even reapplied it later in the day.

With Tuscan Leather I get a classy, kind of reserved fragrance that has three distinct and very interesting stages of development.

I think this one gets misconstrued as overly aggressive and in your face. I'd recommend anyone who may be put off by this notion give it a try--at least, sample it, because you may not find that's the case for you. I know there's other base noters who have had similar experiences to mine. It could be a skin thing, I suppose.

Tobacco Vanille, on the other hand, is definitely loud. It's good, but it's loud. When I owned it, I wouldn't apply more than 2 sprays, and it was still heavy. It just got to be too much for me after a while. And while I still think it smells phenomenal, it's too loud, linear, and heavy for me.

So just to show you where I stand--I'm not a huge fan of loud, heavy scents; I pick up on them easily (TV, A*Men, etc.); not an attention whore--and Tuscan Leather works great for me.

I have Cuir Ottoman as well, another one I really like. But they're very different, and if I had to choose one, I'd take TL over it, simply because I think it smells better. I think the opening blast of leather (which both exhibit) is a little more pleasant in TL, and while I find the middle stages in both to be equally great (raspberry vs. a sweet iris/jasmine combo), the dry down of TL is fantastic, and edges out the (also excellent) dry down of Cuir Ottoman.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    if you love Tuscan leather..try also Montale Leather aoud and Dueto Golden Boy also Clive Christian C, they are all pretty similar!
    Clive Christian C smells almost identical to Tuscan Leather. Tuscan Leather is great for the first 5 hrs, after that it gets a little cloying. C has a far superior drydown

That's weird because my hesitation in buying Tuscan Leather was exactly that--that it would be this big, loud attention whore--where that's not really my style in general.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like your style at all!

But I was thrilled to find out that at least for me, it's actually on the middle or even mellow side of the spectrum. TL doesn't radiate more than 2 or 3 feet off of me at its very peak, and sits at about a foot for the majority of its duration. I wore it yesterday in the car, on the train, subway, to dinner and a show, and my wife (who has a great nose) said it was fine. She'll let me know immediately if I have too much on. I never got that self-conscious feeling that creeps in when you know you're projecting too much and I was in some tight spaces to boot. It sat close. And I had applied 4 or 5 sprays. I even reapplied it later in the day.

I've never owned a bottle myself, but I've got tons of those 4ml sample bottles that TF dishes out. Every time I've worn it, I've gone easy because there's a lot suederal and saffraleine in this -- two chemicals that just leap off my skin. So it can make me feel self-conscious -- especially when I can see others looking around trying to figure out where its coming from.

With Tuscan Leather I get a classy, kind of reserved fragrance that has three distinct and very interesting stages of development.

It strikes me as somewhat opposite -- more like a Bond in this respect: all about volume and in-your-face force. Or as the OP might put it, f***ing loud s**t!

I think this one gets misconstrued as overly aggressive and in your face. I'd recommend anyone who may be put off by this notion give it a try--at least, sample it, because you may not find that's the case for you. I know there's other base noters who have had similar experiences to mine. It could be a skin thing, I suppose.

Totally agree! Definitely sample this one! Especially if you're shopping leathers, as this one does exactly what it says on the tin (except for the Tuscan part).

I have Cuir Ottoman as well, another one I really like. But they're very different, and if I had to choose one, I'd take TL over it, simply because I think it smells better. I think the opening blast of leather (which both exhibit) is a little more pleasant in TL, and while I find the middle stages in both to be equally great (raspberry vs. a sweet iris/jasmine combo), the dry down of TL is fantastic, and edges out the (also excellent) dry down of Cuir Ottoman.

You see, I think this is the reason I dislike TL. I've explored the genre, and I find it to be the least articulate and classy of the pack -- it's just a chemical leather scent cranked way up whereas something like CO is thoughtful, reserved, polite, nuanced -- which I guess I construe as classy (although I'd never claim to be anything as such myself!). Even something like M which is f***ing loud as s**t as well (to borrow the OP's dulcet articulation once more) beat this one in my eyes simply because it's more thoughtfully and carefully composed -- it's got character. TL has character (big f***ing character) of its own for sure (it's like someone shouting "LEATHER" into my face for 16 hours), but I'm just not sure it the kind of character I'd choose to associate myself with! :P
    Last edited by deadidol; 19th February 2014 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    I like to find ways to hide it in my car(air vents, door pockets, under seats, etc) so when the honeydips get in, first thing they smell is cocaine. They know what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You certainly put the "Junkie" in Basenotes Junkie!

I'm not a fan either It's one of the most belligerent perfumes on the market. Compared to stuff like Cuir Ottoman, Blackbird, Cuir de Russie, Leather Oud, Knize Ten, Sarrasins, M, Jeke etc., it's grim. It has a place in the fragrance world and very specific target audience, but when situated in context with other leather fragrances, much of its true structure comes to light -- it's just a massive whack of a suederal. Each to their own and all that!
    Totally agree. It's a bully. It actually made me feel a bit sick when I wore it. I love Nostalgia and Hot Leather (Mark Buxton) and Cuir Fetiche. They have some character and are more refined imo.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    classic!

I prefer Tuscan Leather to Tobacco Vanille. Its my SOTD (layered with TV). It also layers excellently with the A word..
    What's the A word ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    What's the A word ?
    Aventus? If yes, layering Tuscan Leather and Aventus sounds pretty revolting. I do love them both though. Separately.

Did i really curse that much? That's quite reserved for me haha.

I apologise though, i didn't know that cursing was against the code of conduct. I just kind of assumed it was okay considering as i've never been on a forum where it wasn't okay (or that had automatic censoring).

Sorry to bump this up like this, but i've been looking to buy tuscan leather (either 50 ml or 100 ml) in its bottle (not a decant).
    Can anyone help me in finding a good deal for it? Would like the 50 ml bottle but hardly find it at anything lesser than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
    Sorry to bump this up like this, but i've been looking to buy tuscan leather (either 50 ml or 100 ml) in its bottle (not a decant).
    Can anyone help me in finding a good deal for it? Would like the 50 ml bottle but hardly find it at anything lesser than retail.
    If you want it in the actual bottle, I haven't seen it for much less than retail anywhere, unless you're willing to buy a used bottle on the BN marketplace.

Or you could take the eBay gamble if you want... here's a link from what seems to be a reputable seller (100ml for $220)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-FORD-PRI...item4ad2d96670

Ya I enjoy it a lot myself. Wish it didnt cost so much or I would wear it more often. Also funny with the thought about it being a powerhouse frag because I generally get unsolicited compliments on it from older women, who have told me how basically its a light manly smell thats not in your face.. Go figure lol. Personally I do think its very powerful and long lasting. Also coincidentally enough and that and TV are the only thing I like from Tom Ford all the other stuff is lost on me. Especially considering the price.

Best performing fragrance I have. One spray lasts all day. I'm glad it smells great too!

Basenotes Plus

One of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Sorry to bump this TL 'lovefest'

It sucks imo
    It doesn't agree with me either. Not a fan.