Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fecal notes

Default Re: Fecal notes

Yes, mine is strong too. I wish I could get the dried gland as that seems more authentic. But I don't have any complaints at this point with what I have.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a belly laugh hearing this guy's take on my Dirty Rose Oud Extreme...! :-)

WHOA!!!! A SECOND Video Review today, this one for Dirty Rose Oud Extreme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlM1275c0uQ

He really has fun with this, you may laugh so hard and pee your pants.

Boy is he C-R-A-Z-Y !

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I too make a tincture from the dried gland, not a puree, and also obtained from a Trapper's Site. It is by far as strong as you could possibly want. I puit the material into a jar, and poured the alcohol to cover, and then heated the alcohl in the microwave until just before boiling, let cool then repeated. The result is so strong and amazing. The Material surely could have been tinctured again even, as when you take the cap off, it knocks you over... both before AND after tincturing...

PK
    I'll be making muskrat musk from a trapper's site. It's a bit daunting, but at least I've had the luxury of smelling it done right.

You are brave with heating alohol. I've done it using a space heater to like 100 degrees, but have been afraid to really go for it. As a result, I've had mixed results with several tincturing efforts. This time I want to get it right. Any other tips?

Why not use the 50% castoreum from PA? I have it and it seems pretty close to the good stuff I've used before. It's extremely strong.

Post Thanks / Like

People keep saying that about ambergris.. I didn't smell it from the synthetics I have.
    Still haven't found that "brown" note, though when skatole evaporates a little it becomes
    less yellow and more brown.. (in smell, that is.. )

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    I'll be making muskrat musk from a trapper's site. It's a bit daunting, but at least I've had the luxury of smelling it done right.

You are brave with heating alohol. I've done it using a space heater to like 100 degrees, but have been afraid to really go for it. As a result, I've had mixed results with several tincturing efforts. This time I want to get it right. Any other tips?

Why not use the 50% castoreum from PA? I have it and it seems pretty close to the good stuff I've used before. It's extremely strong.
    Sorry Dr Smell this, I missed the Q.

My method is this:

I use my Microwave to heat the alcohol in 5 second segments. a 0.5 oz bottle of alcohol will boil in about 7 seconds.
    Larger amounts take more time certainly.

So I burst heat the tinctures, I keep the cap on just where it starts to grab the threads, not loose, but NOT all the way tightened, Mostly this is to prevent boil out/over if the cap was off or loose.

I take it out and let it sit for a few seconds, and let the heat transfer through the glass to find out how hot it is, before continuing.

I also watch every second through the glass door, checking and if it DOES boil, I open IMMEDIATELY.

If in fact it does boil, DO NOT open the cap. tighten it down further, and shake it, to mix, and then completely let it cool down 20 minutes before opening very cautiously.

That's my trick...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Thanks PK. Your reply highlights the inherent difficulties. I've always thought you basically couldn't boil alcohol due to worrying about explosions.

So what's wrong with PA's castoreum? I like it, and it goes a long way. Castoreum actually isn't all that expensive nowadays, as I understand they're been over bred and killed for other purposes? I had sort of concluded that castoreum was about the only animal substance you don't have to tincture yourself.

Then again, I'm sure you still save a chunk of change.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 14th March 2014 at 07:56 AM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought you basically couldn't boil alcohol due to worrying about explosions.
    I use an electric frying pan as a double boiler to reduce tinctures. The alcohol sits right around boiling point. With good ventilation I wouldn't worry about explosion but I keep in mind the chance of fire.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PK. So what's wrong with PA's castoreum?

Well, to apply the phrase, "It's a different animal." :-)

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I think that "Fecal" is just given as a general term because it is part of the make up of feces.

But there are indoles all throughout the known world, the first version of the color purple (extracted from conch muscles) was actually an indole.

So it's really just "fecal" because it's found in feces.

Post Thanks / Like

So, what smells like poop in poop, if not indole or skatole?

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    I think probably like marijuana (I live in Colorado, so these discussions are common) a "Full Spectrum" of scents or effects is different than the effects/smell of an individual isolated molecule.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't describe marijuana as fecal, more 'skunky.' And only some of it at that, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Phenyl Acetic Acid, Hydrogen Sulphide, Dimethyl Sulphide, Butyric Acid, Valeric Acid, Mercaptans; and other chemicals depending on your diet.

Post Thanks / Like

I should find a way to smell this stuff in dilution.. Can't imagine it will be readily available in small quantities..
    Ever got to use one of these in a perfume?

Post Thanks / Like

You've smelled some mercaptans in dilution already--they're used to odorize natural gas so leaks are perceptible.

Quote Originally Posted by edshepp View Post
    I wouldn't describe marijuana as fecal, more 'skunky.' And only some of it at that, of course.
    I just meant that the idea of "shit smell" is comparable the idea of "marijuana high", in the sense that THC alone is different than a full spectrum Marijuana oil. Just like Skatole is different than full spectrum shit smell.