Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance and food: jasmine tea and civet coffee

Many of us love drinking jasmine tea, a tea spiked with jasmine blooms, and enjoy the taste of rosy Turkish delight.

How about some civet in your coffee? I am not making this up. (Please pardon if this was posted before.)

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.203820
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th February 2014 at 07:42 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Fragrance and food: jasmine tea and civet coffee

I'll stick to Jasmine tea thanks - the farming method involved in producing the other is often unpleasant!
    http://www.wspa.org.uk/latestnews/20...et_coffee.aspx
    Last edited by lpp; 18th February 2014 at 07:48 PM.

Civet in my Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur, yes, indeed!

However, I think I will also pass on the civet in my coffee and stick to the vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

I wonder whether they've tried using synthetic civet as a coffee additive

More like coffee in your civet.

I really want to be open minded and adventurous, but the thought of it does make me a little queasy. Just this past Saturday I heard a woman in a specialty coffee shop in London sing the praises of civet coffee. She's a devotee. So reportedly it's great.

Basenotes Plus

I'll still pass thanks!

Hmmm I don't think I'd like civet in my coffee, though I love floral teas. Jasmine, rose, and orange blossom are amazing with a little honey and/or a splash of cream.

I don't think I want to try civet coffee... I'm quite adventurous with food & drink but...

Basenotes Plus

There are limits

That's some expensive S#iT.

Remember Jack Nicholson talking about this to Morgan Freeman in the movie 'The Bucket List" years ago. Tried it in New York last summer but didn't care for it. Interesting article.
    Last edited by hednic; 18th February 2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I chipped in with some friends to buy a bag of civet coffee, but wasn't about when it arrived and it all got drunk without me
    Apparently it was pretty good but not worth the pricetag...

I'd try it.

If you really stop to think about it, many of the things we eat every day would be pretty disgusting if the first time you heard of them was as an adult. Any kind of meat. Eating meat is the norm, but imagine if people never ate meat... and then somebody came along and said "Hey, try this. It's flesh." That'd be pretty gross. But since eating meat is the norm, it's more common to think nothing of it.

How about clams? Tell me those suckers aren't gross... but they sure are tasty.

MILK. Think about where it comes from. I don't just mean "from a cow." Really think about it. Imagine if you'd never heard of milk before and somebody walked up to you with a glass of it. "What's that?" "It's udder fluid." "It's udderly disgusting!" ...is it though?

I'm not saying I know I'd enjoy civet coffee, but what the heck... I'd give it a try. With a little milk and sugar.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Some cultures do not drink milk, and are appalled at milk from a cow's udder.

I tried it in Italy a few years back, in espresso form. Good and very smooth, you could almost drink it without sugar.

It does not taste of perfumery civet. I'm not sure it's the same animal anyway, perfumery civet comes from civet cats in east Africa. I think the claim was that coffee beans underwent fermentation processes in the digestive apparatus, although others (perhaps more credibly) thought that it was simply because civet cats would eat only the ripest beans, so it was a selection issue.

In any case, as with all coffees, I'm sure it also depends a lot on the starting bean itself and on the successive treatment and roasting process. If the civet cats eat low quality beans, that's going to be low quality coffee anyway.So as usual, even assuming that the civety origin was verified (not that one would know after the coffee has been cleaned and roasted), there's the issue of making sure it's about good beans to start with.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Had it and so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Had it and so worth it.
    ^^Agreed, it was my morning coffee.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for the article. Frankly, the gourmand market segment is, in my opinion still quite underused so far, it would be interesting if more foody/gourmand etc. notes would be experimented with (from partially already covered and simpler notes like dark chocolate, almond, olive oil, to more daring accords like champagne, single malt, truffles-both the chocolate desert and even the exclusive mushroom, also various herbs, seasoning, spices and plants yet underexposed, exotic tea blends, unburnt raw pipe or cigar tobacco/ though again partly covered, pumpkin seed oil and the list may almost be limitless).

Thanks for the interesting article! As a lover of the French tripes sausage called andouillette- which can be very.... civetty, at times! - I'd love to taste it!
    Where did you find it in Italy, cacio?!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I found it at Peck in Milano - it was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if they still have it.

I read that a fancy coffee chain in Milan also offered a coffee made with kopi luwak (for something like eur 7), but forgot which one.

cacio

Big, sad, heavy sigh ...

It's not gross because it's "poop coffee", it's gross because it's "cruel coffee." Seriously y'all, as satisfying as a tasty cup of coffee can be, please inform yourselves about this stuff before you get all excited. The popularity of Kopi Luwak, and the resulting plight of the luwak, is just another horrendously shameful example of animal exploitation and cruelty that's being perpetrated by nothing more than the all-consuming and ostentatious desire for high-status luxury goods - unethical conspicuous consumption at its painful worst.

I'm glad to see that lpp tried to shed a bit of light on the ugly side of this awful commodity, but that piece doesn't go far enough since "cage-free" Kopi Luwak is now a virtual impossibility.

Here are a few informative reads for anyone who might care more about animals and their welfare than a super-tasty cup o' joe. I'm sure I'm not the only animal-lover here, but we must keep ourselves informed if we want to make ethical choices, and as most of us know, exceptional coffee can be had without the suffering of animals. *Nobody* needs this stuff.

http://world.time.com/2013/10/02/the...-cynical-scam/
    http://www.occupyforanimals.org/kopi...et-coffee.html
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-cut-the-crap
    http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...ing-kopi-luwak
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, Evangeline

Thanks, cacio.

Thanks Evangeline...it's always so difficult to live ethically!
    Last edited by iodine; 20th February 2014 at 08:50 AM.

There is a means to enjoy items like Kopi Luwak coffee ethically. Having visited a small plantation where they collect the beans from the wild, roast in small batches. The resulting production is small and a little more expensive but it's also made up much of this family's livelihood.

It's not always black and white, nor is it about where you are an animal lover or it being a luxury item. I agree we should take greater responsibility to increase our awareness of where our food comes from. I voted with my wallet to support the farmers doing the right thing.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There are limits
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    ...Thanks Evangeline...it's always so difficult to live ethically!
    Sometimes, but it's actually less difficult and just a bit tricky once you make the choice to do so. In the case of kopi luwak, however, I really don't think going without presents much of a hardship.

Small farms are indeed ideal, but they are now, unfortunately (for the honest farmer and the luwak) completely unfeasible since kopi luwak has been industrialized. Small farms with authentic cage-free gathering processes simply cannot support the industry, a huge industry that sprang out of exceedingly high consumer demand, a demand that can only be met through widespread suffering of these poor animals. But money talks, and the industry *will* be supported at *any* cost (that is, any cost to the luwak) as long as there is a market for it, and there will be a market for it as long as there is interest in it, "ethically" obtained or otherwise. No matter how you buy this coffee, you are supporting the industry and the exploitation of luwaks (as well as other species of civets, some already vulnerable) even if indirectly.

Besides, there's no shortage of trendy and overpriced coffees out there, and some are very delicious and satisfying! Does a luwak really have to take a dump for people to feel their coffee is good enough anymore?
    Last edited by Evangeline; 20th February 2014 at 03:39 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Couldn't agree more, Evangeline: it's not hard at all to avoid this cruel coffee. My thought anyway is that it's ALWAYS difficult to make choices that don't do some harm to somebody or something...
    I guess that the conditions of workers in "normal" coffee plantations aren't in most cases the best ones one could wish... and purchasing ethical coffee doesn't help exploited workers worldwide, but can only make one feel a bit less bloodhanded...
    Last edited by iodine; 20th February 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    There is a means to enjoy items like Kopi Luwak coffee ethically. Having visited a small plantation where they collect the beans from the wild, roast in small batches. The resulting production is small and a little more expensive but it's also made up much of this family's livelihood.

It's not always black and white, nor is it about where you are an animal lover or it being a luxury item. I agree we should take greater responsibility to increase our awareness of where our food comes from. I voted with my wallet to support the farmers doing the right thing.
    I concur

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post

Very true. Life in general is not cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Sometimes, but it's actually less difficult and just a bit tricky once you make the choice to do so. In the case of kopi luwak, however, I really don't think going without presents much of a hardship.

Small farms are indeed ideal, but they are now, unfortunately (for the honest farmer and the luwak) completely unfeasible since kopi luwak has been industrialized. Small farms with authentic cage-free gathering processes simply cannot support the industry, a huge industry that sprang out of exceedingly high consumer demand, a demand that can only be met through widespread suffering of these poor animals. But money talks, and the industry *will* be supported at *any* cost (that is, any cost to the luwak) as long as there is a market for it, and there will be a market for it as long as there is interest in it, "ethically" obtained or otherwise. No matter how you buy this coffee, you are supporting the industry and the exploitation of luwaks (as well as other species of civets, some already vulnerable) even if indirectly.

Besides, there's no shortage of trendy and overpriced coffees out there, and some are very delicious and satisfying! Does a luwak really have to take a dump for people to feel their coffee is good enough anymore?
    Thank you for pointing this out, Evangeline. If any animal product is used, it's best to consider how it is sourced. I like the idea of hyraceum in my perfume. No animals are harmed.