Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm a Masculine Man Wearing Shalimar

I just love it. Shalimar is one of my favorite perfumes and I don't think it should be called a female fragrance. It is gorgeous and delicious and I wear the EDP even during summer.

My Guerlain all time favorite is Habit Rouge EDC, but it was discontinued. Now I am wearing Shalimar more and more often. It is a good substitute. At work nobody ever complained about my Shalimar.

Do you agree with Shalimar being wearable by men?

Default Re: I'm a Masculine Man Wearing Shalimar

One should wear what one wants without worrying what others think. Personally don't wear it, but my wife does and I enjoy smelling it on her.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have the EDP version and while I don't wear it often I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Personally, I hate the fragrance. However, I do agree that it could certainly be worn by a man.

I think anything can be worn by anyone. I will say that from experience, a few are just....odd if worn by a certain sex. But Shalimar can definitely be worn anyone.

I love Shalimar, it's one of the few women's I wear now and then and I am a woman. I personally find it very "unisex".

It's a great scent but I can't imagine wearing it.

it is the warmest and most sexy fragrance I know.... I associate it with my wife though. If you want to wear it that's fine, it seems unisex to me, I only think it is feminine because of personal associations.

Talking about the vintage edp :deeper, darker, more resinous, much less powdery than the vintage edt or edc: my girlfriend always thinks the vintage edp is Bois du Portugal. There are plenty of good masculines but I guarantee you I'd go for Shalimar edp (pref vintage) over the millions of masculines that all basically smell like Hugo Boss flankers no matter who made them, or the endless amounts of fruity sweet loud nasty smelling I feel sorry for the guy wearing them so-called masculines any day. I'd also rather wear Shalimar vintage edp than things like the doughy, pampered and confused Bois du Portugal, which isn't a bad fragrance but I don't like it nearly as much as I used too.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th February 2014 at 01:53 AM.

Yep. I have and wear the EdC. Not a wear it to work scent, but fine for nights out.

I would add, I find many vanilla frags too sweet. This one is not (too sweet).

Daniel, you smell goooooood. Come over and sit by me!

(Of course Shalimar is wearable by men; IMHO it's so much better than those aquatic things some men wear.)

this is what you sound like

welcome back Daniel (:
    anymore taxi escapades?

for swap/sale:

I think of Shalimar as the French/refined version of Old Spice. It would smell great on a mature gentleman.

Hedonist... Oh man... My insides hurt ....you slay me man.

Daniel ..ROCK ON , if you enjoy it, do it, do it BIG !
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Vanillic oriental, slighly gourmand, with a touch of leather and resins. Sounds like a masculine, just better. I love and wear it too.

I recommend further explorations in the Guerlain canon: does anybody object to a man wearing Chamade, Mitsouko, or even Nahema?

cacio

I am female and I wear Tuscan Leather so I cannot criticize.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 19th February 2014 at 05:10 AM.

Tuscan leather? too mild, if you will. Bandit was supposed to be a feminine, and Rien unisex. Go figure.

cacio

I don't own this, though I have a vintage sample thats about to run dry. Its lovely and if you like it, then wear it out!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Tuscan leather? too mild, if you will. Bandit was supposed to be a feminine, and Rien unisex. Go figure.

cacio
    Good to know!

You like it, wear it!
    I personally love (vintage) Shalimar and don´t give a damn about gender marketing in general.

I have and wear two vintages of both Norell and Emeraude as well as the old Samsara EDT and I love them all. It seems to me the older styles of feminine perfumery are considered to be so heavy-handed by young woman today that they may as well be masculine. In fact, a great deal of orientals work both ways because sweet is sweet and is generally well liked. If you've never (as a man) worn Belle en Rykiel or similar you really should give it a shot.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

spray it proud

I love it, had it, but found it difficult to wear. I was dismayed when two women on separate occasions recognised it on me then told me their mothers used to wear it. The problem for me is association: it has a long history of female use.

I love, own and wear the EdP. Very unisex.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

it's great ! I used it layered with amazingreen!

Sure, good in winter.

The Ode a la Vanille 'Madagascar' is terrific - quite a dark vanilla, more like vintage Shalimar.

When you compare it to sweeter stuff like Tobacco Vanille and Back to Black it's a no-brainer for me.

It's very nice, as is Chanel No 5, I enjoy wearing them. Both are very well known and plenty of people will recognise them as ladies' fragrances regardless of the amount of masculinity you may or may not sport. If that's not a problem where you wear them then I can't see a reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I love it, had it, but found it difficult to wear. I was dismayed when two women on separate occasions recognised it on me then told me their mothers used to wear it. The problem for me is association: it has a long history of female use.
    Pretty much every women with the slightest interest in perfume (or a mother/grandmother) will know this one.

I dont wear it , but it is an iconic fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Pretty much every women with the slightest interest in perfume (or a mother/grandmother) will know this one.
    This and I have too many associations with women I knew that wore it. Otherwise, I say wear what you like regardless of gender classification, which is a croc for the most part.

Is there a modern niche with the same power and complexity as Shalimar? Not a rhetorical question, btw: an actual one.

In fact, I do wear and love Shalimar EDP, and Eau de Shalimar, and Parfum Initial also. Researching about Guerlain and Guerlainade I've read many considarations saying that Guerlain's scents are in the mid from male and female territories, bending to one side or the other but never fully assuming this or that s a whole gender concept. That's because at Guerlain they never start a new scent from scratch. They modeify aan existing formula, blurring notes, exagerating others to come up with a new male or female scent. Most of them are just very good, masterpeices scents that can be enjoyed by people, a human being. I also wear Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue in the EDP concentration. But I agree if you live in a society where they have been worn by women over the years/dacades it may seem odd to smell a man wearing Shalimar. But why is Shalimar less masculine than Midnight in Paris? Or DHI? Or even L'Eau d'Issey, which I think is too floral? They are just label with no real meaning whatsoever. In an Age some people ARE really changing sex, literally, why say only women can wear Shalimar, or Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere? I don't like florals, that's all. Even male florals are not my cup of tea. But orientals, I am all in. Also, if Wonderwood by comme des Garçons is said to be unissex, why can't Shalimar be unissex too?
    Last edited by prosperonline; 19th February 2014 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Is there a modern niche with the same power and complexity as Shalimar? Not a rhetorical question, btw: an actual one.
    Sorta.

If you look at Dries van Noten par Frédéric Malle there's an interesting correlation that only became apparent to me the other day after discussion with a few people AND catching a phrase Malle dropped in an interview about 'recalling some of the classics of the early 20c'.

Shalimar has an almost disturbing opening (for some) because you are hit with a very tart bergamot top with an overdosed vanilla underneath. That's a very, very simplistic description, but if you imagine the disconnect between fresh grapefruit juice and fresh cream you get an idea - it's verging on curdling but at the same time it's very arresting - you can't 'look away'. And then, of course, everything melds.

Dries van Noten has a similar off-putting effect on some people at first because you have bergamot / citrus and a bit of saffron up top, and almost simultaneously you get hit with the almost oily first few minutes of sandalwood, pushed even further by a hit of sacralol (a sandalwood 'enforcer' that has a lactonic quality) and vanilla. It's a full frontal assault that settles after a few minutes into something quite unique.

The structure, and that contrast between tart citrus and creamy vanilla is common to both. I have almost finished a bottle of DvN, and I have compared it with vintage Shalimar, and altho nothing can really touch Shalimar I have a new respect for the idea behind this and reckon it might be worth a shot . . . there ya go - for what it it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Sorta.

If you look at Dries van Noten par Frédéric Malle there's an interesting correlation that only became apparent to me the other day after discussion with a few people AND catching a phrase Malle dropped in an interview about 'recalling some of the classics of the early 20c'.

Shalimar has an almost disturbing opening (for some) because you are hit with a very tart bergamot top with an overdosed vanilla underneath. That's a very, very simplistic description, but if you imagine the disconnect between fresh grapefruit juice and fresh cream you get an idea - it's verging on curdling but at the same time it's very arresting - you can't 'look away'. And then, of course, everything melds.

Dries van Noten has a similar off-putting effect on some people at first because you have bergamot / citrus and a bit of saffron up top, and almost simultaneously you get hit with the almost oily first few minutes of sandalwood, pushed even further by a hit of sacralol (a sandalwood 'enforcer' that has a lactonic quality) and vanilla. It's a full frontal assault that settles after a few minutes into something quite unique.

The structure, and that contrast between tart citrus and creamy vanilla is common to both. I have almost finished a bottle of DvN, and I have compared it with vintage Shalimar, and altho nothing can really touch Shalimar I have a new respect for the idea behind this and reckon it might be worth a shot . . . there ya go - for what it it's worth
    That's very interesting. I've only smelled DvN on paper and I was a bit underwhelmed - no doubt by the bergamot, which generally speaking I don't like, and probably because I'd just sniffed Lonestar Memories... I will have to give it a second chance.

I love it but the female connotations are too strong for me to wear out without me feeling self-conscious

If you enjoy it...rock on!

I have a preference for the Eau de Cologne.

Had somewhat similar experience with enjoying and even considering wearing: Chanel No. 19, Coco Noir and Cristalle, Dior Addict, Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, TF Black Orchid and White Patchouli among other fragrances.

I've never found a variant of Shalimar I'm comfortable wearing, it falls into that "odd" categorization for me and seems out-of-place.

I do wear No. 19 in the warmer periods though, and strangely I enjoy it just fine. I'm sure this is just a personal preference thing.

I love wearing Shalimar EDP, too. I find it imminently wearable and sexy. I am constantly smelling my wrists when I wear this (out, and even at the office)!

Juuust to clarify.

I love Shalimar.

I'm not fond, actually I rather dislike current Shalimar but love the old iterations.

If you liked the older versions of Shalimar, the Ode a la Vanille are very close to vintage.

Out of the three from the series (Ode a la Vanille, Ode a la Vanille sur la route de Madagascar & Ode a la Vanille sur la route du Mexique), I find Ode a la Vanille Route sur la Madagascar to be the closest.
    Mostly because Mexique has a vibrant resin presence, while a concentrated dose of vanilla is used in Madagascar.
    Madagascar:

Ode a la Vanille

Shalimar circa mid 80s

Packaging for reference:

Shalimar 7.5ml parfum from the mid 90s

I have a few other ones too.
    I'm still exploring them.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I love it but the female connotations are too strong for me to wear out without me feeling self-conscious
    Same here, I know lots of little old ladies who wear too much of it. I'm not ready to join their ranks just yet.

The guys at the office cannot differentiate between perfumes. They know nothing about perfumes. They just know that I smell good. I am very successful in that sense.

It might just work, but only if you are rude to people while wearing it.

Basenotes Institution

So nice to read about guys praising one of my very favorite scents, if not my 'favorite'.

I own this in EdC, a sample of really really old EdT (which is fantastic), PdT (which is basically vintage EdP) and Parfum (one vintage and one new). I also have Eau de Shalimar, Shalimar Eau Legere, Ode de la Vanille (the 1st one that was released), Luxurious Body Cream and a tiny bottle of vintage Dusting Powder. I used to have the Shower Gel too, but I use it up too quickly. lol

If you like the Eau de Parfum Daniel, then you owe it to yourself to get some vintage Parfum. It is denser, more animalic, with this oily phenolic presence that I've described as 'petroleum' before. It blew me away the first time that I smelled it. Then it gets all lovely, comfy, sweet, vanillic. It lasts forever!

I have received compliments, from men (straight men, mind you, not that this should matter) when I'm wearing this to my office. No lie. It just smells good. From top to finish.

I imagine I will keep wearing this scent all the way through to my last day on this Earth. I look forward to it's constant reminder that French classic perfumery, when done right, is a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2014 at 11:28 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Sorta.

Fascinating comparison mr. reasonable. Thank you for posting that.

I have spoken about the bergamot off-putting top notes, in Shalimar, before. When I first smelled it, I didn't like it. But it took about a week for it to 'click' for me. Once I got it, I was hooked.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I gave my wife a bottle many years ago, when we were first dating, and I associate it too much with female wear for me to wear it in public. But now and then I steal a little spray, when I'm just hanging around the house, and I do love it. Not sure if I could get used to the idea of wearing it often, but I am turning into a big Guerlain fan. Vol de Nuit, Sous Le Vent, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, even Mitsouko - all favorites. Shalimar can't be far behind, especially in much-coveted vintage formulations. The EdP my wife has from the early '80s is a real knockout.

Guerlain's scents are mostly unisex. There are exceptions (Champs-Elysées) but for the most part a guy can pull off almost all of the classics.

One of the ones that I find works really well on me is Nahéma, which is a floral oriental that smells expensive and sophisticated but has a lot of sweet, woody notes that make it suitable for unisex wear.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Fascinating comparison mr. reasonable. Thank you for posting that.

I have spoken about the bergamot off-putting top notes, in Shalimar, before. When I first smelled it, I didn't like it. But it took about a week for it to 'click' for me. Once I got it, I was hooked.
    You're welcome, Mike - it was an 'aha' moment for me.

I've been wearing DvN a lot the last few weeks (and today, as it happens) and also comparing the three Shalimar Odes. I think the original 2010 is still my favorite, altho the Madagascar is 'darker' and probably the one I would recommend guys here to check out - it's actually quite close in 'heft' to some of the Extraits from around 30 years ago.

As a big Shalimar lover I was very happy to open this thread.

I getso many things from Shalimar EDP. I get leather, vanilla, warm sensual skin, powdery rich resin feel, etc. Will never be without this fragrance. Exploring vintage versions has also been an enthralling experience.

The thread title made me laugh. Thank's!

Anyway. As always, if you like it and can pull it off, why not? Enjoy!

I just sprayed some of my wife's Shalimar on the back of my hand.

It reminds me of a slightly more feminine version of KL Homme.

Although after 6 hours, the KL Homme fades a lot , while the not particularly masculine vanilla of Shalimar just keeps going on and on.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th February 2014 at 04:59 PM.

There was, unfortunately, a unanimous 'Ugh!' from all the female members of my family when they sniffed it. Tastes have changed over the years. I ended up giving it away to an old friend who one day casually mentioned she used to wear it as a teenager and hadn't bought a bottle for years. She really appreciated the gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    The thread title made me laugh. Thank's!
    I know. It sounds kind of like "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Anyway. As always, if you like it and can pull it off, why not? Enjoy!
    Exactly this.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

totally unisex i do not see any feminine reference in this masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium View Post
    totally unisex i do not see any feminine reference in this masterpiece
    The feminine reference is it's gender-marketed history. It's been worn by females for years. The smell is irrelevant, as we all know.

I'd have absolutely no problem wearing Shalimar, and I'm a masculine man! In fact, I've proudly worn (and own full bottles of) a few "made for women" Guerlain fragrances including Jicky, Mitsouku and L'Heure Bleu. They are classic, well made fragrances that transcend time and gender.

For what it's worth, I've also worn (and pulled off) Portrait of a Lady, SJP Lovely, and Chanel No 5.

It's funny, but I have never tried Shalimar. I really should. I wear Spiritueuse Double Vanille, so I try not to let gender marketing bias affect me.

I am glad that so many men like wearing Shalimar. I am also one of those that don't follow the gender marketing.

The Shalimar Eau Legere (discontinued) and the newer Eau de Shalimar are also very good, and less heavy than the original Shalimar with more citrus.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    I would look at Histoire de Parfums, too. I haven't smelled their Ambre 114 recently, but I remember being floored by it! I'm a big fan of their 1889 Moulin Rouge, especially. While you wouldn't confuse it with an old Guerlain, like those, it's got real beautiful/peculiar character - hushed and introspective, all leathery ballet slippers and a ripe pear in a dusty attic. Not loud, but very tenacious on skin. Wonderful!