Code of Conduct

Default Your favorite fragrances that are largely synthetic.

Mine is Cuiron.

Default Re: Your favorite fragrances that are largely synthetic.

Johan.B Man by Geparlys would be one I like.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I always assumed that almost all of my fragrances are predominantly synthetic...

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I always assumed that almost all of my fragrances are predominantly synthetic...
    This.

And besides, I don't know what "synthetic" smells like.

CdG Vettiveru.

CdG 2 Man

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I don't know what "synthetic" smells like.
    Synthetic smells like its ingredients were made in a lab rather than in nature. Synthetic, as in, synthesized.

To me, the pineapple note in Aventus smells synthetic (because real pineapple doesn't smell like that). It also smells fantastic.

My most synthetic smelling scent is probably Curve, and it's easily one of my most complimented.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    To me, the pineapple note in Aventus smells synthetic (because real pineapple doesn't smell like that). It also smells fantastic.
    If that's true, why are there so many varying degrees of pineappleyness? Smokey pineapple, fruity pineapple, ashy pineapple, juicy pineapple.

I've just sampled Andy Tauer's Pentachord Verdant. 100% synthetic, but surprisingly natural smelling.

Isn't everything synthetic

for swap/sale:

Armani Code is in a difficult position. It uses some high quality ingredients so it's low quality ingredients stand out.

Also, Cool Water is great. And Azarro Chrome is a guilty pleasure.

Its actually Royal Pineapple.

I agree in that most of the scents I own are predominantly Synthetic, probably all of them.

Carolina Herrera CH Men. Quite synthetic, but also, quite good. A compliment catcher for sure.

Most everything I own! Probably the two I've worn a lot lately that 1st come to mind are Eros and Joop Homme Wild.

Yeah, I kind of doubt there is extract of pineapple in Aventus, or any fragrance that has a pineapple note. Maybe I am wrong.

Basenotes Plus

Pretty much all mark buxton fragrances I've tried smell very synthetic and they're really good

CdG's Odeur 53 came to mind immediately.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Synthetic smells like its ingredients were made in a lab rather than in nature.
    But that's the thing, I'm not sure that one can necessarily tell, especially when there is a mix of natural and synthetic ingredients.
    I know people associate things that smell harsh with synthetics, but I think this is just based on a general preconception that natural = smooth, gentle, good for you, while synthetic = harsh, rough not good for you.

When I see people (including myself) say something smells very natural, I assume they mean it is smooth and full bodied, but I don't think it is much of an indication of how natural the ingredients are. I assume that the pineapple in Aventus is synthetic because you can't get pineapple essential oil, not because it doesn't smell exactly like real pineapples I've smelled. I've smelled lavender oil and it smells a bit different to the lavender in my garden - that doesn't mean that the lavender EO is synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Hilarious!

Darjeeling, you're right that people can't always tell what is synthetic and what is natural. Some synthetics probably smell more like the real thing than the real thing - kind of like how some (fake) sound effects used in movies and on TV sound more like what we think the real thing sounds like.

I know people associate things that smell harsh with synthetics, but...
    Those people are wrong. Even on a site like basenotes, where most know so much more about perfume than the average person does, it's amazing how many don't understand some pretty basic stuff. This is a perfect example (oh, and the difference between Amber and Ambergris is another often misunderstood topic. It's amazing how often people talk about amber when they mean ambergris, even though the two are practically polar opposites).

Too many people mistakenly think synthetic = bad. It doesn't. Synthetic = SYNTHESIZED. To anyone reading along, if it helps, look that word up in a dictionary (on OSX, highlight it and right-mouse click).

Synthetics can be good, they can be bad, and depending on the composition, they can be absolutely amazing. I hate when synthetics are used to cut costs. That sucks. I love when synthetics are used to create something amazing that couldn't be made with 100% natural ingredients. That's awesome!

When I see people (including myself) say something smells very natural, I assume they mean it is smooth and full bodied, but I don't think it is much of an indication of how natural the ingredients are.
    When I say something smells natural, I mean that it smells like it was made by nature rather than smelling like a chemical created in a lab. The shizo in De Bachmakov by TdC, for example. I don't know if it's natural or synthetic, but it smells so natural to me. Regardless of whether it's natural or synthetic though, it smells AMAZING!!! ...and, at least for me, that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    T'is true! Each one is in line to be king of it's synthetic tree, until fake Napoleon comes along on his cartoon horse to chop them down.

T'is true! Each one is in line to be king of it's synthetic tree, until fake Napoleon comes along on his cartoon horse to chop them down.
    You, sir, win the thread.

All my fragrances are synthetic so I love them all.

CK Truth for Men - It smells half-natural at best but that basil gets me, and the scent gets me a lot of good feedback.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

CK Obsession Night among others- shamelessly synthetic, but oddly neither unpleasant nor flat/boring.

If you take the word 'that' away from the thread title, you would just be stating a fact

Like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    If you take the word 'that' away from the thread title, you would just be stating a fact

guess they are all largely synthetic!

Kouros

Way too many including most CDGs.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Just imagine....

One day soon, deep in a rain forest in South America... They find a beautiful new species of flower - and it gives off a smell that smells identical to Paco Rabanne One Million. They call it the South American Bubblegum Plant.

Now, do we then suddenly say that One Million smells "natural" or do we continue to say it smells "synthetic"?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Just imagine....

One day soon, deep in a rain forest in South America... They find a beautiful new species of flower - and it gives off a smell that smells identical to Paco Rabanne One Million. They call it the South American Bubblegum Plant.

Now, do we then suddenly say that One Million smells "natural" or do we continue to say it smells "synthetic"?
    Ha -- a mind tickler.

My answer would be that no natural organism could smell as synthetic as 1 Million. A bit of a dodge I admit

The most synthetic scent I own , YES I remember Now And btw I own it only because my dear sister did give it to me this past Holidays, I had own it way back then the scent is JPG LeMale (Original: big bottle) and only synthetic in comparison to the ones in my collection , nevertheless I rather enjoy this mint/Lavender/vanilla beauty. I have to also admit that I've worn it once and rarely have used it but do cherish it more because she (my sister) gave it to me and it means a lot to me that she remembered her little brother as I'm not used receiving this kind gift from her.
    Last edited by magnus611; 20th February 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "