Code of Conduct

Default by Kilian Back to black

Just got a decant from perfumed court and l am not loving it. I know this juice gets a lot of love, but to me it smells how my little girl used to smell like when she was a baby. Yes I love that baby smell, but not in a $200 bottle. To me the opening is a lot of lavender and baby powder with a hint of vanilla which dries down to a very feminine powdery smell. Am I right about this fragrance? Is this what you guys smell or did I get a fake from the perfumed court? I also got by Kilian straight to heaven and I really like that one.

Default Re: by Kilian Back to black

Your assessment sounds about right. I love the honeyed tobacco opening, but then it gets way too powdery for me. If you want to try something similar, Parfums de Marly's Herod is close, but doesn't get powdery.

Thanks hippo. Got a decant of herod on the way.

I got a decant of Back to Black and liked it so much I sprung for a bottle. To my nose, it's sweet tobacco that connotes the masculine aura of a cozy den of a guy who smokes a pipe. I don't think of baby powder and if I did I wouldn't like it either. To sympathize, it is very disappointing to purchase something you dislike.

I bought a bottle of this, but I sort of regret it. I like it mostly, but i get sick of wearing it after a while.

I've tried it last week but just on paper. I know that its not right way to judge fragrance but I expected something groundbreaking and it was not interesting enough for skin test. All I could smell on paper was just sweet and feminine honey smell. So yes, I agree with you that its overpriced.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

To me it comes across sweet but not necessarily as powdery as some others. The tobacco vibe is definitely there though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ive read on some people it goes powdery and some it stays in the honeyed tobacco vein. Unfortunately, for you, you got the short end of the stick. Me, I get the honeyed tobacco!!! Sorry about your luck.

I wear B2B fairly often as it is a favorite of a good friend and except for its longevity I like it as well. It smells great on her by the way!

I own B2B, but don't wear it very much anymore. It is an excellent scent - when I am in the mood for it. It is very powdery and sweet, so I don't wear it just "whenever". But that one time every year, it just hits the spot. I can certainly see the love it got on Basenotes 2 years ago, and I can certainly see how many people wouldn't love this one. Great scent - but only for the occasional wearing for me.

Maybe try just going with one spray - overdoing it can lead to the "sickly sweet baby powder" cloying feeling. It's a bit of a beast anyway. Try 1 spray under the shirt and see if it smells better to you that way. This (like Chergui) is one of those scents where too much can ruin the scent.

Yes Sir Your accesment has nailed it(Even though slight tobacco vibe is there also),that's why I've given a pass on this one frag in the past , you've got to be out of your mind if you thing I would roll my Euros their way for this one , when cheaper designers with same vibe are way better: I love STH and like pure and incense oud from this perfume house only.
    Last edited by magnus611; 19th February 2014 at 01:54 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

actually in my very own top five!

Very perceptive, Triceptive

TV is better imo

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I own B2B, but don't wear it very much anymore. It is an excellent scent - when I am in the mood for it. It is very powdery and sweet, so I don't wear it just "whenever". But that one time every year, it just hits the spot. I can certainly see the love it got on Basenotes 2 years ago, and I can certainly see how many people wouldn't love this one. Great scent - but only for the occasional wearing for me.

Maybe try just going with one spray - overdoing it can lead to the "sickly sweet baby powder" cloying feeling. It's a bit of a beast anyway. Try 1 spray under the shirt and see if it smells better to you that way. This (like Chergui) is one of those scents where too much can ruin the scent.
    I agree, Chergui is another scent like Back to Black that if you overspray it becomes way too heavy on the powder that every one keeps talking about. I owned and loved Back to Black twice but I just can't deal with the powderiness of the fragrance. Sadly, I am starting to feel the same way about my beloved Chergui. I also have a decant of Herod on the way and if this one is going to be back to Black without the powder I may have to add it to my heavy rotation. I have my fingers crossed on that one...
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Well thankfully I only got the 5mL decant. I ended up giving it to my 7 year old daughter and she loves it. I did the same with Dior Homme Intense and Virgin Island Water, so now she is sporting expensive fragrances to the 1st grade...lol

Blog Entries

Smells like an apple pie, said a 6-year old girl. She was smiling, so I guess she liked it.

Love the stuff definitely one of my favourites, tobacco and honey how can you go wrong? Well you cant unless you overspray perhaps.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Ugh. Nauseatingly sweet.

for swap/sale:

So the first test was on paper and I didn't like it. Unfortunately, I get the same when I apply to my skin. Even my wife thinks its just too powdery. She took out some lavender baby powder and the scents were almost identical.

I like B2B, and personally I normally can't stand overly sweet scents. IMO I like DHI also but it has a way sweeter opening than B2B.

I really like it. I'll never go back.

I've sampled B2B a couple years ago and it smelled like a watered down version of 1 million (they both have this metholly/cinnamonly vibe), I've recently tried it again and it seems that it is reformulated, now it smells like a blurry version of the old one, the 1 Million similarity is barely there and the fragrance smell like a standard honey/tobacco combo that has been done many times

I like Back to Black, but not enough to buy a bottle like you said. I do enjoy the honey sweetness of it though.

I find it horrible!

Too sweet for me.

I don't get powdery, only sweet honey, you have to love that note to like this.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Sampled this today with the intention to buy after reading all the good things about. But didn't like it at all, it smelt just like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille to me and I really dislike Tobacco Vanille.

Also tried:
    LOVE don't by shy 6/10
    Straight To Heaven 7/10

Also wanted to try Cruel Intentions, but had a hand full of samples and totally forgot.

As tastes differ I have sampled hundreds and hundreds of niche scents by now and Back To Black is one of the best I've ever smelled and I do
    not see the comparison to Tobacco Vanille (at all) though I love Tobacco Vanille also. That said, from L'Oeuvre Noire Back To Black stands out for sure.

Thats part of the problem with sampling, its difficult to get a real taste of these fragrances in store. I had 4 By Kilian samples all on paper and wasn't going to drop that amount of cash after a quick sniff.

Its easier with simple scents and thats one of the reasons I like Creed, as I find all their scents quite safe. I guess thats why some people consider them boring.

Would make life so much easier if they had sample sets you could buy.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    Thats part of the problem with sampling, its difficult to get a real taste of these fragrances in store. I had 4 By Kilian samples all on paper and wasn't going to drop that amount of cash after a quick sniff.

Its easier with simple scents and thats one of the reasons I like Creed, as I find all their scents quite safe. I guess thats why some people consider them boring.

Would make life so much easier if they had sample sets you could buy.
    You can almost buy all the samples you want to give them a few full wearings?

I follow you about the safe/boring thing though.

Every perfume characteristic can be seen positive and negative at the same time:
    • safe = boring
    • challenging = not versatile
    • powerfrag = too loud
    • soft projection = discrete
    aso