Code of Conduct

Default First Date Fragrance/ Rate my collection (I'm new to the fragrance world)

Hi everyone! So I'm new to the fragrance world and collecting. I have a date in a few hours and I was wondering if you can recommend which one out of my collection is the best for a first date. I'm 23 and live in Canada.

Opium by YSL
    Acqua Di Gio
    Chanel Allure PH
    Bleu de Chanel
    Chanel Allure PH Edition Blanche
    Gucci Nubile
    JPG Le Male
    Dolce and Gabbana The One
    Dolce and Gabbana PH
    Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue Living Stromboli
    Versace PH
    Lacoste Essential
    Swiss Army
    One Million

Let me know what you think! Also, maybe if you can recommend something I don't own that will be great for dates?

Default Re: First Date Fragrance/ Rate my collection (I'm new to the fragrance world)

Bleu de Chanel would be good for a first date. Seems like you have a lot of light fresh scents, so maybe you could get something like DHI, Pure Malt, or La Nuit for some diversity.

Default Re: First Date Fragrance/ Rate my collection (I'm new to the fragrance world)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieG View Post
    Gucci Nubile
    A great choice, but you may want to save that one for your wedding night.

I agree with Mr. Jones, Bleu is a safe choice.

Thanks for that! I'll wear Bleu. As for La Nuit, I love how it smells but it's one of the few scents that I'm allergic to, as it gives me a rash. Armani Code is another scent I owned but gave it to my dad because it gives me the worst rashes. I would love to own Pure Malt but it's sold out everywhere and the people i find selling them are asking an arm and a leg, as I'm still a student. DHI is something I have wanted to try for a while now but I do intend to try it! Thanks again =D

To be honest I'm not a fan of Gucci Nubile lol My dad gave it to me when I was 15. I didn't realize how rare it is until recently. I own a half full 60ml bottle. It still doesn't grow on me as much as I try to like it. Maybe someday I'll have an appreciation for it, but it certianly doesn't smell like anything else I've ever smelled, except it does remind me of Chanel PE.

To be honest I'm not a fan of Gucci Nubile lol My dad gave it to me when I was 15. I didn't realize how rare it is until recently. I own a half full 60ml bottle. It still doesn't grow on me as much as I try to like it. Maybe someday I'll have an appreciation for it, but it certianly doesn't smell like anything else I've ever smelled, except it does remind me of Chanel PE.
    Haha! That was actually a bit of a joke. The fragrance is actually called Gucci Nobile. The word nubile means something else altogether!

I'd go with Bleu de Chanel from your list.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Bleu too, or, in the future if a really nice day/night maybe Lacosste Essential or AdG - these are both always safe and women like them.

The One

Post Thanks / Like

"Le male" by perfumer Francis Kurkdjian ...ladies love this one: laver/mint/bergamot in the top is amazing and bam the vanilla loves the ladies
    Last edited by magnus611; 19th February 2014 at 01:34 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

D&G The One.

Do you know -- I just can't make up my mind

But I do like the sound of 'nubile'

Wear nada and save your money -- nothing is going to happen on the first date anyway

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    "Le male" by perfumer Francis Kurkdjian ...ladies love this one: laver/mint/bergamot in the top is amazing and bam the vanilla loves the ladies
    This. Also, The One is awesome for dates too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that! I'll wear Bleu. As for La Nuit, I love how it smells but it's one of the few scents that I'm allergic to, as it gives me a rash. Armani Code is another scent I owned but gave it to my dad because it gives me the worst rashes. I would love to own Pure Malt but it's sold out everywhere and the people i find selling them are asking an arm and a leg, as I'm still a student. DHI is something I have wanted to try for a while now but I do intend to try it! Thanks again =D
    Amazon currently has Pure Malt for $83 for a 100ml bottle.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Even though I personally don't like the Dolce and Gabanna house, you have an overall excellent well rounded collection. 9 out of 10.

Most of your fragrances are suitable for a date, but I wouldn't make that the primary reason to own a collection.

Recommendation: Creed Millesime Imperial

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What did you decide to go with Eddie?
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Post Thanks / Like

I would have went with Chanel Allure but then again it depends on the setting of the date and the type of woman that you're actually dating. A younger less mature female and i would wear Bleu but if she had a bit of sophistication about her i would go for Allure or D and G. Pour Homme if it's the vintage formulation.

Acqua Di Gio is an all time best seller. Generally speaking, most women seem to love it. It just might be the safest pick ever for a date.

Bleu de Chanel is a very safe pick as well. And, by safe, I mean that it's probably good for a first date, where you don't yet know much about your date's taste. I tend to wear something charming but safe on a first date, and then once I know what she likes, I'll wear something more interesting on the 2nd or 3rd date.

Allure is probably a good one, if it wears well on you. For some reason, it doesn't work on my skin... but if it works for you, it's a good one.

Le Male is probably a safe pick too, but go easy on the trigger.

The One is great, but I personally wouldn't wear it on a first date. It might come across like you're trying too hard. I had a female friend of mine tell me The One smells like a guy who is trying to get laid (but she did like it a lot).

1 Million: You're young, and if you date women who are younger than you are, this could be a good pick, but don't over-do it. 1 Million is young and it's loud. For some, that'll be a turn off. I would save the bullhorn type scents for clubbing, not first dates.

One of my favorites to wear on a first date is Hanae Mori HM.

Cheers!

P.S. Welcome to basenotes!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    1 Million: You're young, and if you date women who are younger than you are, this could be a good pick, but don't over-do it. 1 Million is young and it's loud. For some, that'll be a turn off. I would save the bullhorn type scents for clubbing, not first dates.
    Typical herd-mentality copy-and-paste assessment.

It's well possible to not wear 6 sprays of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    Typical herd-mentality copy-and-paste assessment.

It's well possible to not wear 6 sprays of it.
    Huh? I don't wear 6 sprays of ANYTHING. In fact, I never wear more than 4. Also, I don't copy/paste others' opinions as if they're my own. Scroll back through the freebies thread and you'll see that I've given away multiple samples and minis of 1 Million. I know the scent well.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, my point is that 1 very light walk-in mist spray of 1 Million won't be any stronger than 2-3 sprays of Acqua Di Gio.

I ended up going with Bleu de Chanel since it was 3am when I last saw a reply and I had to meet her for sushi at noon. It went well!
    I also discovered that layering The One with Bleu makes an amazing fragrance! I ended up going to a basketball game with a friend in the evening and wanted to spray on something that will last moderately long without having to respray Bleu. Instead I discovered it makes an amazing smelling combination. I also find that Bleu layered with Le Male smells great too! As long as there's more Bleu in the mix than Le Male though.

Hahaha I just realized the mistake I made and got the reference. Clearly its a scent I neglect since I misspell it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Damian236 View Post
    I would have went with Chanel Allure but then again it depends on the setting of the date and the type of woman that you're actually dating. A younger less mature female and i would wear Bleu but if she had a bit of sophistication about her i would go for Allure or D and G. Pour Homme if it's the vintage formulation.
    I ended up going with Bleu lol She's 23 like me and I'd say pretty sophisticated

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    Even though I personally don't like the Dolce and Gabanna house, you have an overall excellent well rounded collection. 9 out of 10.

Most of your fragrances are suitable for a date, but I wouldn't make that the primary reason to own a collection.

Recommendation: Creed Millesime Imperial
    Thanks! =D I hope to own a creed fragrance someday. I hear a lot about GIT and MI, but MI seems to make everyone's top 10 list. I'll admit that I started to get into fragrances because an ex of mine mentioned how she likes how a man smells and her favourite scent on a man is Lacoste Essential. Not only do I enjoy getting compliments for the way I smell, but I enjoy the scents as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Do you know -- I just can't make up my mind

But I do like the sound of 'nubile'

Wear nada and save your money -- nothing is going to happen on the first date anyway
    You're right! Nothing happened lol but I do find that a good scent helps with one's confidence level. If I smell good, I feel good!

Quote Originally Posted by Damian236 View Post
    Also, Chanel Allure was the first fragrance I ever bought and picked out for myself when I was 16! It's probably my favourite and most complimented out of my collection. On my 3rd bottle lol I will always have this one around

Post Thanks / Like

did she wear anything?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    did she wear anything?
    She wore this heavenly fragrance which I wouldn't begin to know the name of lol

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

You have a pretty good collection so far as all your fragrances seem to be age appropriate. I'd go with bleu, BUT one million can work wonders on a date if applied lightly. Let your fragrance invite your date to come in a little closer. After the first dates over and you get a second, then you blast your date with le male lol. Good luck n welcome to basenotes

Post Thanks / Like

D&G PH vintage is a go-to first date frag for me (or maybe 2nd if she's worth my limited quantity

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was dating (I'm married), I would want Aventus, especially if I wanted the girl to be sexually attracted to me. It's dangerous though on dates, because she might jump your bones whether you want her to or not. I wear Aventus once or twice per month, but on the days I wear it, my wife really can't contain herself. If you want something "safer", then D&G the one or bleu.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you'll get a second date with her? Hope she liked the Bleu...

First dates - fragrance is less of a priority, what is important is being yourself and that is the hardest part of living in this universe.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Need more gourmands and heavy hitters, then again this is coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of light summer scents.

For first dates I either usually play it safe with Aventus or just go with something daring. Jubilation XXV isn't too daring but I wouldnt say it is safe either. Anyway, i wore that on a first date and it got me more than one compliment from her that night.

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    Any chance you'll get a second date with her? Hope she liked the Bleu...
    The date went well actually! Second date will follow as soon as our schedules fit together again, since we are both very busy. She didn't compliment my scent, no mention at all, even though we hugged a few times and were at a sushi restaurant for the whole time, but she didn't complain either. I'm going to try again and hopefully we can get closer to see if she likes the scent or not lol

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    First dates - fragrance is less of a priority, what is important is being yourself and that is the hardest part of living in this universe.
    I agree! But if I know I smell good and my date likes the way i smell, then my confidence levels just boost completely lol

Post Thanks / Like

The date went well actually! Second date will follow as soon as our schedules fit together again, since we are both very busy. She didn't compliment my scent, no mention at all, even though we hugged a few times and were at a sushi restaurant for the whole time, but she didn't complain either. I'm going to try again and hopefully we can get closer to see if she likes the scent or not lol
    Sounds promising...!

Post Thanks / Like

next date make sure to apply 10-15 sprays of caron's masterwork yatagan... all or nothing! the way to go
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Versace PH...It's safe, fairly long lasting and excellent sillage....I get more compliments with Versace PH than Bleu when I wear them...
    Current Faves :
    MFK Amyris
    MFK Oud
    Zegna Haitian Vetiver
    Atelier Cedrat Enivrant
    Diptyque Philosykos
    Fougere Royale
    Frank no. 2
    Sel Marin
    Murdock's Black Tea
    Lalique White
    Sycomore

Post Thanks / Like

Solidly good selection. My personal favorites from this list are Opium, Nobile, Allure, The One, Essential, but would recommend Bleu and, to a lesser extent (and if sparingly applied) One Million for dates and similar occasions.