Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 19 February, 2014.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Trying a sample of Lumore by O'Driu today.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 19 February, 2014.

Hi everyone,

ErinK my bloody brillant b-night may have to be repeated soon. Sexy is state of mind, or at least that’s what I tell myself when I’m looking rather bedraggled on my morning run and a cute guy is coming the other direction.

Danie sending get-well vibes to your sweet George.

((ExtremeK)) and a . I’m all for manufacturing the ‘good’ in my day if it hasn’t come by on its own. I highly recommend this approach. Is it almost spa time?

FrouFrou Bacall can throw a death look like no other. How clever of you to tie in your décor motifs, I'm going have to get a plan together for my 'junk' soon.

Shadesofblue Chocolate cake and frosting? Awww, you're a good mum. Hope your son enjoyed his birthday.

30 Roses lob some snowballs my way? It’s unbearably warm here.

Vintage Derby today mossy, woody, green wonder. After the glorious citrus and florals fade away the leather, patchouli laced wood base is addictive sniffing. Missed Une Fleur de Cassie so that’s my SotE. Wishing you a wonderful day.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sous le Vent as it hits the right spot like no other at the moment.... effortless is the word
    Best to all

Iris Ganache in all her glory .

Blog Entries

Morning all & a happy hump day!

Encens Flamboyant today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Sous le Vent as it hits the right spot like no other at the moment.... effortless is the word
    Best to all
    Larimar, and this is exactly how I'm feeling about Shaimar now. Each morning I try picking something else, and everything else falls short.

Have a great day, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

You sure smell divine, tdem! Just how long is that vintage extrait flacon going to last?

Royal White by Charriol

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello all,

Hello all.

Iris Oriental / Iris Taïzo 14 by Parfumerie Generale
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. 30 Roses, I'll have a few snowballs too if you can throw this far

SotD is Creed Royal Oud.

Won't be able to check in later, I'm afraid . Our home computer is going in for repair this afternoon, so I will have to settle for a quick in and out during work hours for the time being. Looking forward to being back on a regular basis again. See y'all tomorrow - take care, folks.

Get well soon, George
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 19th February 2014 at 02:03 PM.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 19 February, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Xscent and Jon, consider the snowballs lobbed!

Looks like the next big storm may be coming a week from now. But warm weather is expected the next few days so some of this piled-up snow will melt.

Today's scent is L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Bulgari Omnia today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

"Typing" from my Kindle to say I just emptied a vial of Bois de Violette onto myself and my flannel shirt. Heading out for groceries for the first time in 15 days. The sun makes it feel springlike, but more cold, snow, wind, and thunder(!) are predicted.

Will say more when I get back and turn on computer.

Hey, 30Roses, regarding snowbanks: You show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

Danieq, in a few weeks I'll be seeing Arizona for the first time as I pass through on the train. Will wave atcha.
    Last edited by Quarry; 19th February 2014 at 06:30 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Kbe, where did you come across your Omnia?
    I am forever searching for some online, since it has
    been discontinued in favour of all the Green Jade,
    Cristalline, Amethyste side kicks. I really miss miss
    the original and hope you don't love it too much for
    your sake!!

I am wearing YSL "Y" and loving every moment of its development.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Institution

30 Roses - I feel a little better today, so I think the workout yesterday (and lot's of chicken soup & rest last night) helped. I am so glad you like the Agua Lavanda. When I wear it now, I actually pour it from the bottle on me. It's a huge honking bottle and I can really splash it on. I like wearing it underneath Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky. Otherwise, I feel like on it's own, it's not really my thing.
    Curly11 - I think what Robin-in-Fl meant was that here in FL it can be so deathly-humid-hot that anything bordering on sweet or confectionery can feel cloying and invasive when we wear it. It's not just HOT, it's sticky hot. Of course, this is totally subjective & some people find wearing sweet scents in hot humid weather not a problem at all.
    ErinK - welcome back home. Please try the Prada. It's immediately discernible as an Andrier creation. It's not groundbreaking but it is very fresh and yet I do not think it screams 'masculine'.
    Danieq - ((bear hugs)) to George
    Quarry - how do you like the BdV? I never really 'fell' for the Luten's Bois scents. Most of them just left me sort of cold.
    Jon - that picture makes me think about my trip in Russia @ the St. Petersburg Museum & those magnificent palaces they have. Good luck with the IT work on your PC.

Robin-in-FL, I found my sample! So I'm in:

Reglisse Noire by 1000 Flowers

Wow, I see what you mean. This is more dusky, very brown-sugar-spicy & yet it has a nice, sheer almost aldehydic quality to the woods that keep it light and sort of transparent. It's not as minimal as the Hermes and not as 'thick' as the Slumberhouse, it manages to walk the middle line between both. Very nice. The radiance is wonderful, I am in a medium sized bubble of licorice. Thanks for the tip Robin. If anyone wants a sample of this, PM me, I have a huge sample & I can share.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2014 at 05:01 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Chanel No. 18 today for AM meetings, and need to sample tonight, so this one won't still be around I do like it though, a different little iris.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, everyone! Another beautiful warm day in store for us today and I intend to enjoy it to the fullest. Starting Friday it's back below zero for the next week.

Wearing Cacharel Loulou from 1987 this morning, with notes including aniseed, iris, jasmine, cassia, lily, mimosa, plum, violet, cinnamon, heliotrope, orris root, orange blossom, pot marigold, tuberose, ylang ylang, benzoin, musk, sandalwood, vanilla and frankincense. This one is a powerhouse, but I love it!

Have a great day!!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 19th February 2014 at 03:16 PM.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Good morning, Mike I am happy you are enjoying the Reglisse Noire...I am on my second bottle of that, actually, even with it's seasonal fussiness.

Curly11, Mike hit it on the head, it just doesn't smell good in the heat, loses its transparency and, I don't know, just melts in an unpleasant way. it's a "cold" smell. By cold, of course, I only mean "not hot", it was 70F yesterday, that's our winter.

I'm in Alien this morning. One of the daughters loves it, the other recoils in horror. Very amusing.

Also - I am going to put a plug in here for the Cerave cream and lotion - these are very affordable and available in drugstores/target/walmart, are unscented so they don't interfere with your other smells, but the feel of them and the effectiveness are way out of proportion to how much they cost. They are gentle enough that I can put 'em on my face too, which is, in fact, what I use them for most often. No sunscreen, no fragrance, just very effective moisture.

Sampling Mona di Orio Musc today.

Robin-in-FL, thanks for the cream recommend, will check it out. I'm not happy with what I am currently using as it's unscented scent lasts and lasts.(Vaseline unscented).

George says thanks to all for the well wishes. His procedure is today so I'll report back when I know how he fares.

Quarry, I'll be the one jumping up and down while you wave. Enjoy the vistas, however brief!

I'm sampling El Attareine today. It's definitely Lutens but my initial impression says it's not quite FB worthy.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

queen of the universe

Off to water exercise in Fabergé Flambeau, one scent that holds its own against chlorine.

Staying strong for upcoming hip replacement surgery. Date set, Wednesday, April 9. Time to go higher protein, higher activity, lower carbs, and lower weight. I can do this.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Good morning!

Back to work after a few days off and trying not to be a grump about it. Also, will have to hit the gym today for the first time in a few days, and after the past few days of overindulging at home (homemade biscotti, homemade cherry pie which mom and I made - she taught me how to make pie crust, lots of dining out), I must get back to the diet and exercise. Bah. Humbug.

danieq
    , will be thinking of sweet George today

Taking ExtremeK's SOTD from yesterday for mine today: En Passant.

autochrome Belgium, c. 1912
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Just a spritz of Mauboussin.

SOTE

Profumum Fumidus for me today - wanted something smokey and this is smelling fantastic in the cold Montreal air.

Count me among those enjoying the warm temps and temporary reprieve from the snow and various vortices that have descended on the US this year. It's tripping my spring cravings. Yesterday was lilacs, today is orange blossom: Houbigant Oranger en Fleurs. Tomorrow -- more snow, so perhaps I'll join Xscent in UFdC

Speaking of joining Xscent, I'm with you on making your own fun, your own happiness, your own "here's what really matters to me." Now I have to practice it. Or, as I'm sure to hear at the spa starting in about 10 days (woo hoo!!!!!!), I need to practice living with greater intention.

Glad you and the Rockster are home safe and sound, ErinK -- embrace the treadmill! You'll smell lovely doing it, regardless.

More hugs for danie and George. I'll wave at you ( and maybe Quarry, too) when I land in Phoenix.

Happy hump day, all!

Terre D'Hermes

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    Quarry, so glad you're grooving on Profumum Neroli! I always think I can hear bees buzzing when I wear it. If you wanted to add some of Mr. Profumo's Hyraceum or even (if you're brave) Civit, this is a dead ringer for vintageCaron- Narcisse Noir!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...Huddlr-archive
    Kumquat, that is so interesting. You don't have a recipe for reproducing Caron's vintage Violette Précieuse, do you?

I think I'm just ready for spring, and violet (now that I can finally smell it after years of developing the senses to do so) produces that floral re-awakening experience. Thus, today's Bois de Violette. Mike, I have to say that, at least for today, this violet is really working. Maybe it helped to dump a lot on. Only Caron's VP is better than Lutens’ BdV for me. I have to see if I have a sample of Bois et Fruits around. I think I liked that just as much as the BdV. The dry down of Fille en Aiguilles, which I know you like, gives me an impression of Feminite du Bois. FeA’s top notes are busier and spicier though for sure. What with the upcoming Scent Bar visit, I think I'll haul out the 250-sample tray and see if there's something else I might want to buy besides Cadjmere.

Jon in Royal Oud!?! Mmmm-mmm! Get out of my way!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

SotD - Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons (from a sample)

ErnK, lovely picture again!
    I'm in Amazone Hermès
    mixed with Eau de Cheval

With my new glasses, my horse, and smelling of Amazone. Perfect.
    And my hands are too high. I was asking him to lift his head, Arabs tend to bend their necks too much and in the wrong place.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hello everyone -

I'm back home for a while. I'm not quite ready to talk about all the stuff that's been going on (and I don't want to derail the thread and turn it into a bummer!) but I wanted to check in and see what y'all are up to, as well as thank you for your kind and generous support when I announced our sad news. But in brief, there's still a lot to be done; we're going back to Angers for a few weeks in March and then we'll most likely spend the summer there as well ...silver linings and all that. But life keeps going on and there's stuff that needs doing here, too ...so here I am, getting things done. I've been wearing Aunt Syl's perfumes, many of which are now mine, all week, trying my best to remember her in them. Today it's vintage Diorling, 70s extrait. This sure is some special stuff. ♥

Sorry 'bout that Frou - I didn't mean to step on your heels.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hugs and good wished for you Evangeline.
    I agree, scent is such a large part of memory, when my parents died I wore my mums old jacket because it smelled so much of her.
    There's no stepping on heels?
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    More hugs for danie and George. I'll wave at you ( and maybe Quarry, too) when I land in Phoenix.
    ExtremeK, I've been enjoying your spa anticipation in conjunction with my own vacay anticipation. Ten more days for you, 27 more for me (so says Kindle countdown widget on my home screen).
    Frou Frou, your photo makes me feel happy. Oh, just to see dust kicked up again.
    (((Evangeline))) You are richer in your soul for all the good you are sending out and experience you are taking in during this significant passage. I know that your family, both those on this side of the pearly gates and Aunt Syl on the other side, appreciates what you’re doing.

Blog Entries

Evening all,

((((((((Evangeline)))))))) it's lovely to see you, you are in my thoughts.

Erin, thanks for another charming pic. So poignant to think that was taken in Belgium just before the First World War; like a time of innocence before the horror that took place there.

FrouFrou; love your photo, too.

Wearing L'Heure Bleue this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Robin-in-FL - your story about Alien and your two kids made me giggle. Kids are so funny about fragrances. Nonetheless, I bet you when they grow up, even the one who doesn't like how it smells is going to think about you whenever they smell that scent. I always think about my mom when I smell what she used to wear (she doesn't wear fragrances anymore due to her allergies). And thanks for the lotion recommendation. I wasn't aware they had a fragrance free one.
    jujy54 - hip replacement surgery!? WOW. Sounds like you're mentally prepared for it. ((bear hugs))
    Quarry - yeah, I can see what you mean about the drydown of FeA having a Bois' 'feel' to it. And I too took years to 'get' violet in fragrances. Sometimes I still mis-identify it. That Armani Prive leather scent I just tested a week ago was loaded with violet and it took me reading reviews of the scent before my nose went 'oh THAT'S what that is!'. Cadjmere, huh? I've never smelled that PG. Make sure that Scent Bar has it in the store, before you go - sometimes they don't have everything on the website in the actual store. I emailed them last time I went.
    Evangeline - it's nice to know that you are alright. ((bear hugs))

More licorice-ness in:

Hermessnce Brin de Reglisse by Hermes

At some point, in the near future, I am going to run out of these samples that Larimar graciously gifted me years ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scent. I need to have it in my wardrobe, it's crazy. It has that wonderful caramel-lavender note and that mixed with the licorice is just addictive. It's a very personal scent, one of those scents that I wouldn't mind people knowing me by.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Kumquat, that is so interesting. You don't have a recipe for reproducing Caron's vintage Violette Précieuse, do you?

I think I'm just ready for spring, and violet (now that I can finally smell it after years of developing the senses to do so) produces that floral re- experience. Thus, today's Bois de Violette.
    I hadn't thought about it. I'll bet you could do something with a shot of oak moss in something wonderfully violet-centric. I'll give it some thought!

Good afternoon all. I just learned yesterday afternoon that I have somehow come down with shingles. So today I'm adjusting to the medicine and not feeling like my usual self. But I am using perfume samples as a form of aroma therapy, which is fun. Lemons into lemonade. So it was The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver to get me going as I rode my bike this morning. Then it has been Comme des Garcons 3 for the rest of the day, because I do love any chypre floral.

jujy54, your preparations for hip surgery sound perfect. My mother has gone through the surgery, and it was hard but doable. Best of luck.

((ExtremeK)) the spa is a great step in the "here's what really matters to me" front. As for living with intention, practice becomes habit.

Oh FrouFrou what a wonderful picture! I can smell the dust and horsiness from here.

((Jujy)) it's great you are being so positive and proactive about the surgery.

Quarry that sample tray is inspired.

Mocha get well soon and perfume is a great distraction.

((Danie and George)) hoping all goes well.

Glad to hear you doing okay Evangeline, take care and I'm sure no one would mind you derailing the thread.

Bel Respiro for the morning yoga and run. Catching up with my gorgeous sister for lunch and perfume shopping which is always fun and dangerous on the wallet (we are a family of enablers).
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

I think I'm just ready for spring, and violet (now that I can finally smell it after years of developing the senses to do so) produces that floral re-awakening experience. Thus, today's Bois de Violette. Mike, I have to say that, at least for today, this violet is really working. Maybe it helped to dump a lot on. Only Caron's VP is better than Lutens’ BdV for me. I have to see if I have a sample of Bois et Fruits around. I think I liked that just as much as the BdV. The dry down of Fille en Aiguilles, which I know you like, gives me an impression of Feminite du Bois. FeA’s top notes are busier and spicier though for sure. What with the upcoming Scent Bar visit, I think I'll haul out the 250-sample tray and see if there's something else I might want to buy besides Cadjmere.

Jon in Royal Oud!?! Mmmm-mmm! Get out of my way!
    Quarry, is this your personal sample holder tray? It is perfect. The red ribbon looks like the type that can be curled with the blades of scissors.

I am wearing vintage Tabu parfum today.

Robin and Mike, thanks for the explanation about the hot weather impediment. Summers in KS are usually ghastly because of the humidity and I have some fragrances that are cloying, almost smothering, in the heat so I know what you mean.

Blog Entries

Mike, glad you are feeling more like yourself today!

Quarry-- No doubt your snowbanks would win any competition! I don't think I could live in your part of the country--I'd want to hibernate until spring.

After many months of pain in my left foot from plantar fasciitis that would not quit, I am beginning to get some relief!
    Monday afternoon while at the mall with my daughter, I tried on, then bought these Dansko XP clogs:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/dansko-p...esults-_-1_6_C

I'd tried Dansko clogs on before but never found any that felt right. The XP line of clogs is different from the traditional clog they sell-- it has memory foam in the footbed. I can hardly believe how much better I feel already and hope it keeps improving.

Blog Entries

Chanel- No.19,
    Vintage, EDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Good afternoon all. I just learned yesterday afternoon that I have somehow come down with shingles. So today I'm adjusting to the medicine and not feeling like my usual self. But I am using perfume samples as a form of aroma therapy, which is fun. Lemons into lemonade. So it was The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver to get me going as I rode my bike this morning. Then it has been Comme des Garcons 3 for the rest of the day, because I do love any chypre floral.

jujy54, your preparations for hip surgery sound perfect. My mother has gone through the surgery, and it was hard but doable. Best of luck.
    I am sorry about the shingles. They can be rough, and the antiviral medicine is also kind of rough at first, but eventually you should get used to it. The medicine helps tremendously.

(((Mocha))) Oh dear, that cannot be pleasant. Hoping your medicine gets you back to good in no time. Good for you for not letting it slow you down too much with the biking and good smells.

Frou, your hair. To die for.

Xscent, let us know what treats you come home with! How lucky your sister is to have a sister like you.

(((jujy))) Your attitude is inspiring, and yes, you CAN do it!

30Roses, congrats on the new shoes! I hope they will be just what your feet needed and I am sure they are thanking you for it!

I am sampling tonight, By Kilian Good Girl Gone Bad. Hilarious choice as I sit here in dog hair-covered yoga pants and an old t-shirt watching TLC. Bad to the bone. I had forgotten what this smelled like. If I liked fruity florals I would probably love this. Unfortunately, as I do not love fruity florals, I feel like I am wearing strawberry/peach/whatever Glade air freshener (it is that strong). I rarely take showers at night but I don't think I will want to go to bed in this.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Diptyque Opôné tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

queen of the universe

SOTE was Balahé by Leaonard. Tuberose/cumin/leather. Got a compliment in ceramics class of all things.

Thanks for all the kind words of support.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I wore Volutes again today so as to be inoffensive during business meetings.

Quarry and danieq: Arizona is one of the most scenic states in the the Union, especially Grand Canyon. The word Awesome truly applies.