Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance stands in malls?

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a little experience i had a few months ago at those fragrance stands they have in malls. I think we have all seen one atleast once in our lives. These stands also sell other products like t shirts. Now my buddy and I were in the mall and i was dragging him around nordstrom and sephora because i was doing my daily sniffing as i like to say and we stopped at one of these stands to see the prices on some frags. Now i forgot the prices because i wasnt paying too much attention but ofcourse it was less than retail but slightly more expensive than the online discounters we all know like fragrancenet and fragrancex. One little thing that turned me off majorly was when my friend asked about a certain versace frag (dont remember which one, A grey and dark box) The guy told him sure he can try it. So the guy running the stand took the box off the shelf and opened it very carefully and pulled the frag out so my friend could test it. After he tested it the guy put it back in the box and on the shelf. I wanted to ask so your going to sell that to someone now or keep it as a tester? I did not say anything just ehhh. He also had a 100ml New harlem sealed and he said the best he can give it to me was 170. Still cheaper on frag net !!! Opinions on these stands?

Default Re: Fragrance stands in malls?

If they were the last place on earth to buy perfume, i would resort to rubbing roses on my skin i guess.

I find them only a curiosity to see what they are highlighting at a given time. Personally never purchase from them. Never found their prices competitive.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I think some are pretty shady, a few are legit. Sometimes the stuff is so obviously fake it bothers me, and of course that they prey on people's ignorance - but a few are on the up and up (I THINK.....) IF it was a good deal and I didn't want to wait for an online I might buy something low or mid priced as long as it was at least as good a deal as say Gordman's Ross, TJ Maxx etc..

I haven't seen a fragrance stand in a mall in quite some time. But if I did, I wouldn't really be interested enough to stop. But I'm generally not a "stop and sniff" kind of guy -- I need to purchase a sample and wear it at home in order to evaluate it properly. Ordering a lot of samples gets expensive, but then I can give it a full wearing away from someone standing there staring at me waiting for me to just buy it or go away.

"I can give it a full wearing away from someone standing there staring at me waiting for me to just buy it or go away."

I hate that standing there and staring at you too with that expectant look in their eyes

Obviously we are educated enough to avoid pitfalls like this but the masses do go ahead and buy from them and as long as it's legal...hence they're earning an honest living and have to make a profit , just like every capital venture ; then it's all good.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I check them out from time to time to see what they have, but never purchased anything.....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    ...hence they're earning an honest living and have to make a profit , just like every capital venture ; then it's all good.

Yeah -- it's all good knocked off stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

Yeah -- it's all good knocked off stuff
    read my statement carefully again and see emphasis on being "Legal" ....Cheerios!
    Last edited by magnus611; 19th February 2014 at 02:15 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I would avoid them. The people running any stands are shady. Just a sleazy operation all around.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    read my statement carefully again and see emphasis on being "Legal" ....Cheerios!
    Oops -- check

The odds of it being so are negligible though

I strictly only go to the source or well-known boutique shops in NYC. Everywhere else is a drag.

Usually, they have comparable prices with more established fragrance stores, without guaranteeing the same authenticity - at least in most cases, still have to find a notable exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The people running any stands are shady.
    All the people? What if they're just trying to put food on the table for their family?

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    All the people? What if they're just trying to put food on the table for their family?
    Well, I was also going to write, "shady people or just people doing exactly what the shady people in charge of the operation told them to do." The people working the stands may not be shady people themselves but the owner probably is. I don't know, it takes a certain type of person to stand out there and trying to entice people with fake compliments and whatnot. It just seems sleazy but I understand people have to work for a living and that's the price they have to pay.

^ I was just toying around with you There's certainly an impression that's projected from these kinds of places, but you never can tell what's behind the impression. I've never really explored one to be honest, but I see them all the time and there's usually a lot of snipers ready to come at you! I can't imagine they have a whole lot to offer, but they're often quite busy, so they seem to be doing something right!

Blog Entries

Someone posted on here (BN) a little while ago. He said these outlets are ALL selling knock-offs, fakes. He was someone who was involved with perfume distribution, I gathered. It sounded correct to me. Actually, it makes sense. How else can they afford to sell stuff cheaper than retail? It's like buying "Gucci" from a guy on the street. Do you really think it's going to be legitimate goods?

Yeah, there are too many other legitimate sources out there these days to even bother with these mall stores. I don't even want to walk in the perfume store they have at the mall because I don't trust their sources.

All I do at these stands is get whiffs of the really cheap stuff I can order online and promptly walk away
    Some stands LOWEST price on Thallium was $40 when I can order it almost anywhere online for $15-$20. HA!
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Blog Entries

According to the poster I'm refering to, cheap online sellers are no better.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    According to the poster I'm refering to, cheap online sellers are no better.
    I know many sellers out there sell fakes but sites like FragranceX, Beauty Encounter and Amazon themselves are highly discounted for some fragrances and they're all the real deal. eBay is one site I avoid for fragrances no matter what.

Blog Entries

You have to be very careful. Sometimes the picture they show is not the product you receive.

I wouldn't necessarily say that all of the fragrances have to be fakes. A lot of times dept. stores don't like to hold onto a particular product after it's "shelf life has expired". These kiosks buy the fragrances from the dept. store at a discounted price, and then turn around and sell them at a few bucks less than or right at retail. In a lot of the ones I have encountered, they do sell thallium and the like at twice what you can purchase it for online. Not sure how those brands work though. I have found vintage fragrances once or twice from a mall kiosk that turned out more than okay. but it is quite rare.
    Last edited by FISS80; 19th February 2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Blog Entries

I sometimes get discounted things at TJMax. At least you know those are from legitimate sources.

I sometimes get discounted things at TJMax. At least you know those are from legitimate sources.
    Agreed. I think TJ Maxx and Ross acquire their fragrances the same way. I certainly would not use kiosks as a primary source to purchase fragrances. I was just commenting on the fact that mall kiosk shopping is not 100% bad or illegitimate.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

You have to keep in mind that oftentimes regular retailers hike the prices up astronomically, so even when an online retailer or a discounter sells something at a much lower price, they're still turning a decent profit simply because the initial price was through the roof. When you see Lutens going for $60 online, you're absolutely getting Lutens (I have a few for that price), but a profit's still being made by these retailers because they buy in bulk amounts.

You could buy Ambre Sultan for $130 at Barney's or get it for $60 from Fragrancenet -- it's the exact same product, but you're paying Barney's tax on top of what it actually would cost for the "luxury experience" and "customer service."

Blog Entries

I got some discounted bottles online early on. I can't remember which company it was, unfortunately. I think they were real, but they had been opened and there was no invoice. They were just tossed in the box haphazardly. I was not impressed.

I think they were real, but they had been opened and there was no invoice. They were just tossed in the box haphazardly. I was not impressed.
    And that's where the $70 Barney's Tax comes into play! For that extra fee, they'll place it into the box more carefully and hand you the invoice with a smile!

They're a good place to find variety if for some reason you can't or don't like to shop online. A lot of the stands in the mall carry stuff the department stores don't. And if you become friendly with the owners they'll give you little deals here and there. My issue with them is that just like many SA's in Macy's or wherever, they usually don't know much about what they're selling. It's just a way to make some money. I think the majority of kiosk owners are trustworthy, and they're usually pretty friendly too, however I don't know if their sources are. I don't know where they're purchasing their goods from, so it makes me a little hesitant to buy from them, with the idea that I could be getting inferior or damaged goods.

My brother owned one of those stands in a mall here in So. California. Their stuff is legit. They get all the scents from a distributor in downtown Los Angeles. He went out of business because the mall's monthly lease is ridiculously high, and they jack up the lease prices during the holiday seasons to double.

Blog Entries

The thing about boxes being opened is that you could be getting testers. The lights are hot in dept stores. I think most testers are cooked. I'd want a picture and know exactly which bottle I was getting before buying one. I'm not sure why no invoice, but it seemed shoddy to me.

The boxed testers are mostly just unused ones? - I've had a few perfectly good ones in the past.

Blog Entries

I have, too. But you should know ahead of time that's what you are buying.

I'm not sure why no invoice, but it seemed shoddy to me.
    Barney's it is for you, then!

But seriously, many of these retailers are totally legit and handle the product with just as much care. They just don't have the gilded lions outside the door or the bag with the fancy string. Same product, same production. If it's a tester, they specifically say that it's a tester (Fragrancenet have INCREDIBLE deals on testers -- most of my Amouage was about 70% off retail because I bought testers from them) -- which even then, are absolutely 100% fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceptive View Post
    My brother owned one of those stands in a mall here in So. California. Their stuff is legit. They get all the scents from a distributor in downtown Los Angeles. He went out of business because the mall's monthly lease is ridiculously high, and they jack up the lease prices during the holiday seasons to double.
    Do you know what the monthly rent was?

I'm only asking because I've often wondered about this before--how much they charge for kiosk rentals. You can't find a much better place for foot traffic than a kiosk in the middle of a busy mall. And I think foot traffic would be the key to a successful perfume shop.

Blog Entries

I also didn't like that I was signed up to a "shoppers discount club" without my knowledge. I was charged $13/mo for 9mo. Or so before I noticed. I'd still be paying for it if I hadn't complained. Luckily, I was able to get a refund, but what a pain. No, I stick to trusted retailers, now. I don't need the headaches.

Once I got some very old juice that was spoiled and Un-returnable.
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th February 2014 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    You have to keep in mind that oftentimes regular retailers hike the prices up astronomically, so even when an online retailer or a discounter sells something at a much lower price, they're still turning a decent profit simply because the initial price was through the roof. When you see Lutens going for $60 online, you're absolutely getting Lutens (I have a few for that price), but a profit's still being made by these retailers because they buy in bulk amounts.

You could buy Ambre Sultan for $130 at Barney's or get it for $60 from Fragrancenet -- it's the exact same product, but you're paying Barney's tax on top of what it actually would cost for the "luxury experience" and "customer service."
    Even Ambre Sultan is $63 on Amazon. I bought mine for the same price from Beauty Encounter. No way it's worth $130 though and these discounters know it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There is an independently-owned kiosk at one of our local malls that has legitimate perfumes, but I don't buy from them anymore.

I bought a supposedly-new, boxed bottle of perfume from them last year, but when I got it home I discovered that it was only about 90% full-- they had been using it as a tester, and didn't bother to tell me this when I bought it. I got my money back from them the next day. They were entirely unapologetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Do you know what the monthly rent was?

I'm only asking because I've often wondered about this before--how much they charge for kiosk rentals. You can't find a much better place for foot traffic than a kiosk in the middle of a busy mall. And I think foot traffic would be the key to a successful perfume shop.
    He was at a semi-ritzy mall in mission viejo. The regular season rent was $4000 and jacked up to $7500 during November and December. Its great foot traffic but most people don't like to buy from them because of the misconceptions that their products are fake. I was one of those people, well I guess I still am, I don't prefer to buy from them. But, from what I know, the stuff he purchased was legit.

But what if the girl working the kiosk is REALLY good looking? Is that possibly going to have an influence on anyone stopping, lingering, and possibly buying something that they just might not possibly otherwise?

I agree with you when you say it takes a certain type of person to do shady work that involves lying and selling fake or knock off products. I remember back in summer 2012 there were these home theater speaker guys flying around the parking lots of home depots and shopping centers around my town. I was a delivery boy at the time at a fast food place and they tried scamming me with their bullsh** speakers that were supposedly worth 1000 dollars and they were selling them for 200 because they had extra from a shipment. I found out that this operation has been going on since the 80's in all of North American the UK and other countries known as the WHITE VAN SPEAKER SCAM. These people are very pushy and enthusiastic for you to buy their product while they lie to your face. Completely legal operation. I recently got approached about 6 months after that by some random suv that asked if i wanna buy some home projector system while i was entering my bank to use the atm. If you look online there are tactics they use train these armys of slimeball salesman. People at atm's are major targets because they can have quick access to cash. I told the guy no thanks i don't want your fake stuff, stop scamming people. I wasn't 100 percent sure what he said after wards but sounded like Yea ok you Fu****** Fa****ot. The temptation made me run out but they sped off haha. I personally could never make a living by lying to somebodys face and take their hard earned money. I know this has nothing to do with fragrances but its an example of how people can make a dishonest living in so many ways so fake frags can be a good alternative if you dont know what to look out for.

Mall kiosks? I don't trust 'em. I really do want the security of shopping at Nordstrom so I can return purchases if they are unsatisfactory for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceptive View Post
    He was at a semi-ritzy mall in mission viejo. The regular season rent was $4000 and jacked up to $7500 during November and December. Its great foot traffic but most people don't like to buy from them because of the misconceptions that their products are fake. I was one of those people, well I guess I still am, I don't prefer to buy from them. But, from what I know, the stuff he purchased was legit.
    Thanks, Triceptive.

Wow…that is a lot more than I had suspected they charge for kiosks. Tough to stay open when you got a $4000 rent…not to mention the $7500 for holidays. I had no idea it cost that much.

In many parts of the world perfume shops, gray market perfumes don't have the luxury of offering testers. Because they've bought what they have at such a low price tobeginwith.
    They'll do a spritz and put it back in the box.
    I can assure you, regular buyers are aware of this and it's generally accepted as a practice.
    I'm sure once the bottle is depleted past a certain point , it'll either be offered heavily discounted or will become an official tester.

And to the guy who said all these sellers are shady, shame on you.

for swap/sale:

They remind me of those night market stalls selling fake knockoff perfumes in Bangkok... Nice to look but not to buy.

"You could buy Ambre Sultan for $130 at Barney's or get it for $60 from Fragrancenet -- it's the exact same product, but you're paying Barney's tax on top of what it actually would cost for the "luxury experience" and "customer service." "

Exactly, I'll forego the "luxury experience" thank you very much just give me the bottle and take my money and I'll be going. I don't care to pay for "ambiance" when it comes to getting a bottle of something to spray on my self.

Blog Entries

I think there are some places that have low overhead, and buy in volume such as some Ebay sellers. Those that have 100% positive ratings! I would trust. And there are some, such as Creed and Chanel that are widely faked. Those I would NOT buy anywhere else but a reputable dealer.