Code of Conduct

Default 21st birthday fragrances for twin daughters

My daughters will be 21 in a few months and I’d like to include a great fragrance as part of their birthday present. I have only just discovered Basenotes and I have tried to add the family collection to my wardrobe. The girls currently use Chance Eau Tendre + Coco Noir and Coco Mademoiselle + Chance Eau Fraiche.

I'm a good Dad and I have been bringing samples on cards home as I work in the Sydney CBD with the wide range of fragrances available at Myer and David Jones. I purchased L’Instant de Guerlain pour Homme in early January and was very disappointed. When I returned the fragrance it was a darker colour and dramatically lacked fragrance when we compared it to the tester. I ended up buying the more expensive Myrrhe et Delires as there were no men’s fragrances in stock.

Gary at David Jones Amouage/Creed/Robert Piguet/L'Artisan counter has been extremely helpful and happy to supply samples of his fragrances. Pammy at Mecca has been very happy to assist with Serge Lutens fragrances but I need to source my own sample bottles if I want to take some home for the girls to try. Luckily one of the girls liked Myrrhe et Delires on the tester card but I think I need to give them actual samples to try rather than purchase based on a test card that was sprayed 5-6 hours previously.

My current list of possibles includes:
    Myrrhe et Delires (hiding in a drawer and looking for an owner)
    Angelique Noire (at least it matches the Myrrhe et Delires in price and appearance)
    Petit Fracas?
    Something from Serge Lutens?
    Another Chanel? Perhaps Coromandel, Sycomore or Bois des Iles
    Can anyone suggestion alternatives or provide some first hand advice?

I'll try to update my Samples and To Test lists. (I'll also work out the simple way to link to my wardrobe lists)

Default Re: 21st birthday fragrances for twin daughters

I think you could do worse than coromandel and sycamore but the girls here will have some great suggestions.

If you are looking at the Guerlain Exclusives maybe Gourmand Coquin or Tonka Imperiale .

You are very good Dad! I'm biased as I love the Chanel Excluifs and have nearly all of them. Just going by your daughters current collection I would suggest the more floral fragrances 1932, Beige possibly 31 Rue Cambon. If you decide on Malle I would suggest trying Carnal Flower. Mecca also carries Le Labo Rose 31 and Jasmin might suit as well. I'm not sure if you have access to Puredistance in Sydney I would suggest Antonia or Puredistance 1, believe Peony in Melbourne use to stock the line maybe they can send samples to you. Good luck, I'm sure they will love what you pick.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Many thanks everyone and I'll search for Puredistance at Mecca and DJs. Does the Tonka Imperiale wear differently to a sample on a test card? The test card I took home smelt of pure vanilla and little else.

I purchased the first Chanels for the girls a few years ago when I was in Boston as the prices were too good to ignore. The Chance Eau Fraiche is now empty and daughter No.1 purchased the Coco Mademoiselle last month. Daughter No2. still has some Chance Eau Tendre and she bought herself the Coco Noir. Does anyone have tips on how to secure samples from sales assistants? Gary at Amouage couldn't do more to help but some of the other fragrance house assistants are quite 'superior' and seem very reserved when I ask about a sample for my daughter to try.

Quote Originally Posted by MCWood View Post
    Many thanks everyone and I'll search for Puredistance at Mecca and DJs. Does the Tonka Imperiale wear differently to a sample on a test card? The test card I took home smelt of pure vanilla and little else.

I purchased the first Chanels for the girls a few years ago when I was in Boston as the prices were too good to ignore. The Chance Eau Fraiche is now empty and daughter No.1 purchased the Coco Mademoiselle last month. Daughter No2. still has some Chance Eau Tendre and she bought herself the Coco Noir. Does anyone have tips on how to secure samples from sales assistants? Gary at Amouage couldn't do more to help but some of the other fragrance house assistants are quite 'superior' and seem very reserved when I ask about a sample for my daughter to try.
    I find Tonka Imperiale very vanilla in the dry down, your daughters seem to prefer less gourmand going by what they already have. Mecca is hit and miss with samples it really depends on what they are given. If you call their online ordering service and ask for samples they will make some up and send it out to you. You may have the same sample availability issues with Chanel Excluifs, the regular line shouldn't be a problem just ask a SA at DJ's. If you find no joy with the Chanel Excluifs PM me.

I know Mecca has Le Labo but I don't think they stock Puredistance, Vendome on Castlereagh St may though. If you do have some time before their birthday maybe order samples from somewhere like Luckyscent.com or surrendertochance.com to test before buying.

From Chanel:

Beige
    No. 5 Eau Premiere
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

You will hear more from the wise women on this side of the forum.
    My thoughts regarding Chanel exclusifs: Bois des Iles is much loved by many, but it's possible your lovely daughters may think it does not track young enough for them. Bel Respiro, however, is less likely to suffer that image.
    Re: Lutens. Bois de Violette could seem age appropriate as long as your girls don't have the prejudice that violet is an old-fashioned note.
    Certainly, all of these are elegant.
    It makes me happy just thinking about this whole situation.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It makes me happy too, Quarry! What a lovely gift.

I will echo several others and agree that you really can't go wrong with Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, 1932, or No. 5 Eau Premiere.

It might be fun to take them to Mecca and sniff some Frederic Malle as well for more beautiful and unusual scents.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Blog Entries

Frederick Malle Iris Poudre is one of my favorites as is Chanel- 31 Rue Cambone. Maybe one of the Goutal's would suit. Nuits D'Hadrien is a luscious, leathery citrus. How exciting that you are doing this for your girls! What fun for you all. Good memories.

Well... maybe some out of the box thinking here... my own experience is that I have to sample a lot of fragrances before I find one I really like. Chances are you end up with a fragrance that smelled nice on an old paper, but smells totally different on skin. Why not buy the girls a present cheque (or create and print an invitation on the computer) and take them to the store with you? Two girls with their dad buying a fragrance. Sounds like a nice and special gift to me!!

I agree with TheSnifferMan, consider letting your daughters choose for themselves. You can go along for the shared experince and to pay for the gifts. It might be a memorable outing for all involved.

I spent my lunch break today exploring the Chanel Excluifs and then discovering that Mecca in Myer carried both Frederic Malle and Le Labo. The DJs SA searched her cupboard but only had samples of Cuir de Russie and Beige. I also was given a sample of L'Artisan Timbuktu when I called in to say hello to Gary downstairs in DJs.The assistant in Mecca was wonderful and gave me samples of Iris Poudre, Angéliques Sous La Pluie, Noir Epices and French Lover. When I combine these with my Tom Ford samples - Arabian Wood, Plum Japonais, Neroli Portofino the girls should be able give them a try and choose a few favourites over the next few days. I'll try to organise lunch in the city next week and leave them to explore Myer, David Jones and Vendome.

I'll report back on their top three fragrances and seek some more advice before making a final decision. I have a few months so there is no need to make a rushed decision. The gift voucher idea is good, but not possible for a 21st birthday. The fragrance needs to part of a special gift they will remember - no one remembers a gift voucher or cheque.

The fragrance needs to part of a special gift they will remember - no one remembers a gift voucher or cheque.
    But they will remember that special day for the rest of their lifes when picking their favourite fragrance for all time, together with their dad. But hey... that's just what I'm thinking. You should do what feels right to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnifferMan View Post
    But they will remember that special day for the rest of their lifes when picking their favourite fragrance for all time, together with their dad. But hey... that's just what I'm thinking. You should do what feels right to you.
    I agree with Snifferman, though understand MCWood's concerns about a gift voucher being impersonal. One possible suggestion: A few years ago my brother and sister-in-law gave me a hand-selected sample pack from LuckyScent, with a voucher for a full bottle of any of those (or x-dollars' good toward another fragrance of my choosing). Clearly, I still remember it (and I used the certificate to buy Heeley Esprit du Tigre, which wasn't one of the ones they selected, but all the ones they selected were great...) In any event I remember both the gift and the fragrance "they" bought for me.

MCWood, perhaps you can gather your collection of samples and present it to your daughters on their birthday, and explain to them (or put it in a fancy card) that an outing to buy a bottle of each of their favorites is the culmination of the gift. I think that's what Snifferman is suggesting, and I couldn't agree more that it would provide all of you with a fantastic day of celebration - and your daughters with a beautiful fragrance to always remember turning 21 and how special their dad made it for them.

I also agree that however you mark the day (and/or whatever fragrances you choose) needs to feel right for *you* -- So take all suggestions as just that. The fact that you're thinking about this so thoroughly is wonderful in itself.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 20th February 2014 at 02:09 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Blog Entries

I think it's a lovely idea to spend the day shopping with their father after trying the samples. A very considerate gift. They could stretch it out into a weekend.

@ComDiva: I couldn't have said it better myself. Very well spoken and beautiful words.

Twins are special, aren't they.
    My firstborn(s) are twins too. Girl & a boy.

for swap/sale:

Smile Re: 21st birthday fragrances for twin daughters

Many thanks Xscent for suggesting that I look at Frederic Malle at Mecca Cosmetics in Sydney. I called in yesterday afternoon and Kim looked in the cupboard for different samples and discovered their display Coffret Collection containing 18x5ml mini-sprays of Frederic Malle fragrances. The real bonus was when she looked in the second cupboard and found two Coffret packs still wrapped in their plastic with their antique French postcards. I purchased both as this is a perfect way to introduce my daughters to the world of Frederic Malle. I'm undecided at the moment but I may buy them a second fragrance from Guerlain or Chanel or include a Mecca gift card to allow them to purchase a full bottle of their favourite Malle. Now I just need to think about Frederic Malle fragrances for my wife and perhaps something for me.

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advice and support.

If you want to adopt me, I am currently accepting applications. My own dad won't mind, I'm sure.

I don't think you could have done one iota better than those lovely Malle coffrets. Perfection. They will LOVE them.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Wink Re: 21st birthday fragrances for twin daughters

Many thanks Xscent for suggesting that I look at Frederic Malle at Mecca Cosmetics in Sydney. I called in yesterday afternoon and Kim looked in the cupboard for different samples and discovered their display Coffret Collection containing 18x5ml mini-sprays of Frederic Malle fragrances. The real bonus was when she looked in the second cupboard and found two Coffret packs still wrapped in their plastic with their antique French postcards. I purchased both as this is a perfect way to introduce my daughters to the world of Frederic Malle. I'm undecided at the moment but I may buy them a second fragrance from Guerlain or Chanel or include a Mecca gift card to allow them to purchase a full bottle of their favourite Malle. Now I just need to think about Frederic Malle fragrances for my wife and perhaps something for me.

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advice and support.
    You are most welcome! I'm delighted you found those coffrets they really are perfect introduction to this special line. Chanel and Guerlain are excellent and two of my favorites houses. It is so sweet of you to make such efforts for your girls. I hope you find something equally wonderful for yourself and your wife. If you do get to Vendome do try the Puredistance range. Thank you for reporting back.

Blog Entries

So nice to hear you found something you liked. I'd like to put in a word for Iris Poudre. The body butter is beautiful! The two together make a great gift. (Just saying:-)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

What marvelous news about the coffrets!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I love the idea of a perfume selection outing for the birthday. This would be a memory of a lifetime, getting a signature FM scent from, as Andrew Lloyd Webber's song says "the first man you remember" (this was the daddy daughter dance song at my older daughter's wedding). It could be absolutely the perfect afternoon!

You are a very kind father.

I recall my father let me wear whatever he was splashing on! I would go with Coco Mademoiselle or Chance. Both are light and floral.

You might also try Allure, as many young women seem to like more vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.