Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Egoiste

Default Egoiste

Smelt this today , Wow!!!! Had never taken the time to check it out before due to having smelt Platinum Egoiste and being less than impressed but Egoiste smells amazing, looking at reviews I see vanilla, cinnamon and rose mentioned a lot but what I loved with this is the animalic muskiness that contrasts with the rose note, this will be my next buy

Default Re: Egoiste

Egoiste is a Chanel classic. Great scent IMO. Not surprised you enjoyed it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by shoulderpet View Post
    Smelt this today , Wow!!!! Had never taken the time to check it out before due to having smelt Platinum Egoiste and being less than impressed but Egoiste smells amazing, looking at reviews I see vanilla, cinnamon and rose mentioned a lot but what I loved with this is the animalic muskiness that contrasts with the rose note, this will be my next buy
    Think I can safely say that another sandalwood lover is borne!

have four back ups of this!

One of the best for sure.

I smelled it a couple of days ago and I especially liked the opening. Can anyone tell me what this sweet smell is? To me it smells like sugar mixed with vanilla, or is it something else?

Problem is I couldn't smell it anymore after 2 hours. Anyone else has this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnifferMan View Post
    I smelled it a couple of days ago and I especially liked the opening. Can anyone tell me what this sweet smell is? To me it smells like sugar mixed with vanilla, or is it something else?

Problem is I couldn't smell it anymore after 2 hours. Anyone else has this problem?
    on me it only last 2-3 hours and its gone

Too bad... so I'm not the only one with this problem.

Wonder if someone can tell me what ingrediŽnts are causing this sugary sweetness smell.

^^^^^^^^ That's strange -- it's pretty potent imo

So much better than Platinum, which I actively dislike

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ That's strange -- it's pretty potent imo

So much better than Platinum, which I actively dislike
    I have 2013 bottle, it is intense for the first 5 minutes then it settles down after 3 hours max, I can not smell in on my SKIN even if my nose is pressed to my SKIN.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    I can not smell in on my SKIN even if my nose is pressed to my SKIN.
    Same here.

It's definitely the vanilla that gives it the sweetness, at least to my nose.

You are totally right about the longevity. I either can't smell it after the top notes or I'm anosmic to it after that. Two hours for me is pushing it. Tried it on my clothes and it was heavenly. Something in there that doesn't like my skin...

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    It's definitely the vanilla that gives it the sweetness, at least to my nose.
    Thanks. I don't have the best nose, so I was not sure.

One of my favourite fragrances, an absolute classic and to me Chanel's best offering. Love the rosewood and cinnamon in this one mixed with the vanilla sweetness and creamy sandalwood. Brings a smile to my face every time i wear it.

Platinum Egoiste is one I'm not a fan of.

I love vintage …goiste; if you prefer more personality and power you should check out the vintage formulation.

In my opinion, one of the best and most complex classic Chanel and classic male fragrances in general.

Basenotes Junkie

A personal fave, for sure. Not always easy to wear, but always rewarding when I do.

Donīt waste your time to find the vintage version.
    The vintage version is deeper and more powerful, but the difference is not huge.

Jacques Polge is the master and he was responsible for the original version and the reformulation, so he knew how to reformulate.

The new version smells exactly he same as the vintage version.

Now, Jacques Polge retired and the inhouse perfumer of Chane is the Polgeīs son..

I am excited how he will reformulate Egoiste in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    A personal fave, for sure. Not always easy to wear, but always rewarding when I do.
    It is easy to wear Egoiste, if you are an egoist .

Egoiste is the best marketed fragrance for men ever and it is one of the best male fragrances ever made (Top 5 for sure next to Jean Patou pour Homme, Derby, Kouros, Caron pour un Homme and Yatagan).

Egoiste is one of my first fragrance loves; back in high school, around 1993, this was one of the bottles I bought for myself, along with Fahrenheit. Back then what you got was Egoiste Cologne Concentree, an especially rich and potent version of the juice. I still have have of that bottle left and it still smells great. I have a newer bottle also, from 2012, which is no slouch, and certainly does not have longevity problems. It could be that it's been reformulated quite recently, but I'd be more prone to suspect olfactory fatigue.

By the way, Egoiste does have a burst of aldehydes in the opening, which probably contributes to the initial sweetness.

A masterpiece.

I love Egoiste. The secret of the sweetness could be the rose mixed with the vanilla and the way that combines with the sandalwood is what really does it for me.
    Sorry for those who don't get much longevity, I always seem to get considerably over par with it.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    By the way, Egoiste does have a burst of aldehydes in the opening, which probably contributes to the initial sweetness.
    Aldewhat? What are these?

One of the true 'greats' and it lasts all day on me (bought in 2010). A top ten scent in my 'drobe.

Too bad... so I'm not the only one with this problem.

Wonder if someone can tell me what ingrediŽnts are causing this sugary sweetness smell.
    Maybe it's the ambrette seed. That gives a sweet dried fruity kind of vibe.

A great fragrance IMO.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Aldewhat? What are these?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/298...-are-aldehydes

Thank Caferacer. Still not really getting it though...

Thank Caferacer. Still not really getting it though...
    They're an aroma chemical. Google it...

My favorite of all time!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Basenotes Plus

I absolutely adore Egoiste, I could wear it on a daily basis and never tire of it.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    They're an aroma chemical.
    Aren't most aroma's chemicals? :-s
    All these explantions are quite technical... but never mind... I got some idea now.

Aren't most aroma's chemicals?
    In the context of fragrances, yes. That said, not all chemicals are aromatic. Hence, "aroma chemical".

Indeed, I'm quite sure we would not have known of the existence of aldehydes if they were non-aromatic

TheSnifferMan, to get a sense of what (the most common) aldehydes smell like, go have a sniff of the opening of Chanel No. 5. That fizzy, "champagne-like" sparkle effect is a big dose of aldehydes.

May just wear Egoiste tommorow. My son is receiving a big honor at a banquet. He'll be off to college next year.

@onethinline

Allright. Don't have Chanel 5 here, but when I find it I'll take a sniff!

Blog Entries

Egoiste -- spicy, sweet, woody. Love this fragrance. My favorite Chanel.

I only like the Cologne Concentree. The vintage regular is fine but doesn't last long. The sweetness seems to be mostly derived from amber, at least in the CC formulation. The difference is that "vanilla" often seems to mean a dry, non-sweet note whereas amber is sweet and syrupy, with or without some vanilla mixed in there.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th February 2014 at 10:26 PM.

Think I can safely say that another sandalwood lover is borne!
    I know there are other sandalwood threads out there, but since you brought it up here, does anyone have any recs for sandalwoods with a similar feel to Egoiste? I too recently discovered how much I like Egoiste (and I think it's the sandalwood), but I find it can be a bit "much" for my style.

I've tried Bois des Iles (I liked the similar notes to Egoiste, but it didn't feel modern and masculine enough to me) and Tam Dao (felt way too dry and "literal;" Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez were spot-on categorizing this one as "wood furniture").
    Last edited by breakfastat12; 20th February 2014 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakfastat12 View Post
    I know there are other sandalwood threads out there, but since you brought it up here, does anyone have any recs for sandalwoods with a similar feel to Egoiste? I too recently discovered how much I like Egoiste (and I think it's the sandalwood), but I find it can be a bit "much" for my style.

I've tried Bois des Iles (didn't feel modern and masculine enough to me) and Tam Dao (felt way too dry and "literal;" Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez were spot-on categorizing this one as "wood furniture").
    Could it be rosewood? Have you sampled Equipage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Could it be rosewood? Have you sampled Equipage?
    Maybe? I'm not great at identifying notes.

I editied my original post; I probably should have specified that I do like BDI, and the notes it shares with Egoiste, but other aspects of it don't work for me.

I have smelled Equipage a couple times on a card, and it didn't grab me.

One of the best Chanels, if not the best!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

I've tried Bois des Iles (I liked the similar notes to Egoiste, but it didn't feel modern and masculine enough to me) and Tam Dao (felt way too dry and "literal;" Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez were spot-on categorizing this one as "wood furniture").
    You could try CDG Wonderwood, though again you might find it a bit "dry and literal"...

Me, too. I think the present form is a very good scent, and one of my absolute favourites. I thinks the sweetness is due to woods and cinnamon. For me it lasts quite a ong time. In a piece of paper in my bedrrom it lasts for days almost without changing the scent at all. I thought I had a fake bottle, which it wasn't, and did a test on paper strip, wonderful power and scent. I like Egoiste because you don't need to wait to drydown to get the best of it, the base, it is all perfect from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    Donīt waste your time to find the vintage version.
    The vintage version is deeper and more powerful, but the difference is not huge.

Jacques Polge is the master and he was responsible for the original version and the reformulation, so he knew how to reformulate.

The new version smells exactly he same as the vintage version.

Now, Jacques Polge retired and the inhouse perfumer of Chane is the Polgeīs son..

I am excited how he will reformulate Egoiste in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    You could try CDG Wonderwood, though again you might find it a bit "dry and literal"...
    I don't think wonderwood has much to do with Egoiste, it is woody and woody, no scaping from it. I like it though. Costume National Homme is more of a sort of relative to Egoiste, in fact I think it is like what Egoiste would smell like if it were done by Comme des GarÁons. It is a good try at a good price, too.

After much wrangling with this note myself, I suggest you try Villoresi's Sandalo and also MPeG's Santal Noble. Two very different takes on this note, but nonetheless both very worth while trying out. Villoresi's interpretation contains the authentic stuff from Mysore but is blended very nicely with incense, opoponax, rosewood and lavender. Santal Noble on the other hand is warmer with strong bursts of amber and coffee.

Masterpiece.
    I find it quite potent actually with good longevity. Wore it last night and it was clearly there this morning.

Wearing it today. It's a very soothing, comforting scent for me. I need to wear it more often for sure.

image.jpg

That's says enough. LOL

I'm addicted to Egoiste. I can't rotate easily these days. I need more and more of it.. LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by prosperonline View Post
    I don't think wonderwood has much to do with Egoiste, it is woody and woody, no scaping from it. I like it though. Costume National Homme is more of a sort of relative to Egoiste, in fact I think it is like what Egoiste would smell like if it were done by Comme des GarÁons. It is a good try at a good price, too.
    Fair point. I haven't tried Costume National so I might give it a go, not that I need anything similar to Egoiste when i have the original.

Love it a lot.
    On me the 2011/2012 version smells very close to the version I used in the 90's.

I get 7-9 hours longevity from overdozing me with me 10 sprays of Egoiste - used as a body spray instead of Axe

Similar fragrances are hard to find, because none smell even close to Egoiste.

But you should try these to get a bit of the same vibe:

Caron Le 3'eme Homme
    Ungaro III
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Zino Davidoff

Villoresi's Sandalo smells very natural and nice of pure sandalwood in the soft sense, but IMHO it has NOTHING of the same vibe as I get from Egoiste.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

The sandalwood and Rose in this one is exquisite. One of the few " off the beaten path" fragrances my wife likes on me

yupÖ

After much wrangling with this note myself, I suggest you try Villoresi's Sandalo and also MPeG's Santal Noble. Two very different takes on this note, but nonetheless both very worth while trying out. Villoresi's interpretation contains the authentic stuff from Mysore but is blended very nicely with incense, opoponax, rosewood and lavender. Santal Noble on the other hand is warmer with strong bursts of amber and coffee.
    Sandalo didnít grab me, but Iím still looking to try Santal Noble.

Fair point. I haven't tried Costume National so I might give it a go, not that I need anything similar to Egoiste when i have the original.
    Also tried Costume National, and wasnít really into it. I think youíve got the answer. The best Egoiste-like fragrance isÖ Egoiste.

However, I did also smell Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood, and itís the closest one I found so far. Iím surprised it wasnít mentioned here. Anyone any have experience with this one?

great recommendation on wonderwood, need to try that fragrance.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Egoiste is my favorite Chanel. Lasts all day on my skin.
    I would only seek out the CC or vintage versions if you really love the current formulation. The current formulation is great and very close to the older versions. For the difference in price, owning the CC and vintage EDT won't be worth it to most people.

Am getting this on Friday , it sounds strange to say this when I read peoples comments about the Sandalwood note but with the rose,rosewood and (synthetic) castoreum present this reminds me of Antaeus (another favourite of mine)

Definitely one of the best from Chanel. My bottle is circa 2010 and lasts all day on me.

Wonderwood isn't for me: I found it to be too dry and just too... woody!

Trumpers Sandalwood is sweeter.

Egoiste is better in every way IMO.