Code of Conduct

Default Oh no, what have I done? Recommendations...

So I finally got the chance to go into a niche perfume shop I had been meaning to visit for a good while now. The SA there ws extremely helpful and friendly and went out of her way to provide anything I asked about. Long story short, I finally got to sample Les Nombres dOr Oud - Mona di Orio and Invasion Barbare among many others. That's when I realized I never should have went to this place. They were SUPERB! Love at first sniff. I could literally feel my wallet getting lighter, which is when I thought "Oh no, what have I done?" LOL.

I resisted the urge to buy immediately, and instead got samples. So for my next buy, of the ones listed below, what do you recommend I get first?

Les Nombres dOr Oud
    Invasion Barbare
    Frapin - 1270
    LDDM - Tauer

Also, while I still and will always enjoy my less expensive and designer scents, the light sort of "turned on" for me regarding niche scents while I was there. Has anyone else experienced that and do you remember the moment that happened?

Recommendations and thoughts please Thanks!

Default Re: Oh no, what have I done? Recommendations...

Unfortunately, the four that you are pondering are that good. The order for me would be: 1.IB 2. LDDM 3. 1270 4. Oud. My reasoning is based on where we are in the calendar. My collection is skewed toward niche because of the perceived improved quality.

First of all, IMO, they are all excellent. Next, if cost is a consideration you might want to hold off for now on the Mona Di Orio as it is the most expensive. My recommendation would be Invasion Barbare.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Personally, I'm not a fan of IB at all, but MdO Oud is stellar and absolutely worth the investment.

And yes, my experience was similar to yours when I first was introduced to more original fragrances. I actually no interest in perfumery -- largely because I found the kind of stuff sold in malls to be ghastly, and I seriously thought that was all that was available in the perfume world. But one I entered a dedicated store that carried less commercial, more creative fragrances, it was pretty much game on again for me. Avignon and L'Ombre Fauve were largely the turning points.
    Last edited by deadidol; 19th February 2014 at 04:28 PM.

I would go with LDDM as a great starting point that you definitely will not be disappointed in.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I'd start with LDDM as it has great projection and longevity, though I admit to never having experience IB. But the price on that one is reasonable and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Yes, I absolutely had this same experience. Love at first sniff. I've since learned that there are designer scents that are unequaled as well, but they tend to be the more obscure ones.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

The Tauer is magical

The light was switched on for me regarding 'niche' when I started testing the MPG range of fragrances -- the topnotes of Grain de Plaisir almost made me faint with pleasure

I prefer high end designer to niche.

This happens when I enter the Scentbar in LA. My wallet gets lighter by a couple of Benjamins.

My favorite in the set would be LDDM - deep resinous spicy incensy, as far removed as it gets from mainstream. IB is great too, more traditional masculine fougere.

cacio

Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Whilst the LDDM is a masterpiece it can be hard to wear as it is so strong. I would go for IB as it is more versatile and can be worn in most situations.

My lightbulb recently turned off and I am going back in the opposite direction. A lot of niche scents have been disappointing for me and I am tired of the high dollar investment. I will still buy some niche, but I hope to balance my wardrobe with a mix of quality designer and niche.

Those are some great scents, but without hesitation I would go with Invasion Barbare first.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

As stated above they are all excellent. If it were me, I would choose LADDM as it is the least expensive of the four. Then I would search the BN splits board waiting for an open slot for a split of one of the other three. If I'm not mistaken. An IB split has just completed so another one may be coming soon. If money were no issue however, I would buy the Invasion Barbare first, followed a little later by a purchase of LADDM. Then I would search the split boards for openings for the other two.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Blog Entries

I'll put in a good word for the Frapin 1270. only because the others, while good, are fairly strong and may be harder to wear on a daily basis. Just my two cents.

I really like niche now and have a hard time with mainstream stuff. I feel most of it is harsh and lacks subtlety. Some of it is also lacking in decent silage. Most bottles are, on average $80. I figure I'd rather have one excellent bottle at $250 than 3 mediocre $80 bottles any day.
    Last edited by kumquat; 19th February 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Id recommend the Invasion Barbare. Very versatile. All that you have smelled are great scents and all are high quality. Pick one you like the best and get it.

That's a great group of fragrances…

I would probably go with LDDM first. I think it's a great starting point (while Invasion Barbare is my favorite), it's not too expensive, and you'll have a lot of fun exploring it as you continue to wear it. It's a classic, IMO, that should be in every enthusiast's wardrobe.

My only gripe with 1270 is that it doesn't perform well on me--I only get a few hours from it.

Congrats on your niche experience. I am a fan of LDDM as well. A sample was all it took for me to like this one.

While I love LADDM, and consider it absolutely remarkable, I will confess that for me it's not as wearable as some others. So if I were only buying one, I would pick Invasion Barbare. The MDCI is more expensive, but I think you'll get more use out of it.

I adore LDDM, but I agree that it can be challenging to wear. It's an odd one, really. Sometimes, I can't get enough of it. Other times, I'll go a month without wearing it. Some days, it wears like a favorite sweater. Other days, it wears like an itchy wool sweater that I can't wait to take off when I get home.

...but I really do love the stuff! And the bottle is one of my all time favorites. It's a stunner.

My favorite part of LDDM comes after 8 hours. It evolves into such a cozy amber, but it retains just enough edginess to be unique. And, my god, it lasts and lasts and lasts.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

First off, thanks everyone for all your inputs/thoughts and please keep them coming! I was also leaning towards either the LDDM or IB, which seem to be the popular picks in this case.

Either would be a great addition for me at this point, plus I intend to purchase FB of them all eventually. I just wanted to see what should be at the top of the list. Great points by given by everyone. The MdO oud will probably be last just due to price concerns, but I think I convinced my father to split it with me. Win!

...I definitley appreciate some of the finer quality scents out there now that I have expanded my horizons a bit. I love these, and find it hard to stop smelling the samples. Can't wait to try more....

Mind Blown....

Les Nombres dOr Oud - there are other oud perfumes that more realistically represent the smell oud. But it's nice as a perfume.

Invasion Barbare: very safe , all round good scent

Frapin - 1270: niche

LDDM - Tauer : also niche

for swap/sale:

Les Nombres dOr Oud - there are other oud perfumes that more realistically represent the smell oud. But it's nice as a perfume.

Invasion Barbare: very safe , all round good scent

Frapin - 1270: niche

LDDM - Tauer : also niche

for swap/sale:

Lddm

✔️lddm
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'll put in a good word for the Frapin 1270. only because the others, while good, are fairly strong and may be harder to wear on a daily basis. Just my two cents.

I really like niche now and have a hard time with mainstream stuff. I feel most of it is harsh and lacks subtlety. Some of it is also lacking in decent silage. Most bottles are, on average $80. I figure I'd rather have one excellent bottle at $250 than 3 mediocre $80 bottles any day.
    I totally see your point. For me personally, I rarely am in a position to drop $250 on a bottle, and I like to buy scents more frequently than 4 times a year. With a son going to college this Fall, I have $80 of disposable income a lot more often than $250. But that's just me and my little world.

If you have the income, go for it! I would too if I were in that position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I totally see your point. For me personally, I rarely am in a position to drop $250 on a bottle, and I like to buy scents more frequently than 4 times a year. With a son going to college this Fall, I have $80 of disposable income a lot more often than $250. But that's just me and my little world.

If you have the income, go for it! I would too if I were in that position.
    I guess that sounds kind of uppity. It's just a ballpark. There are lots of niche in the $110-200 range. Just as there are still many finds for $40-60 that are wonderful staples, not to be missed (EL-Azure) is a great example! But these days, it's getting harder with all the good things being eliminated from mainstream scents. It looks as if independent perfumeries are the wave of the future.