37 33.94%
  • Chanel egoiste

38 34.86%
  • Dior Homme

20 18.35%
  • JPG Le Male

6 5.50%

Default Designer hall of fame

One of these frags will make it into the fragrance hall of fame...which one will it be? vote now

Things to consider when deciding: each fragrances Influence on the perfume industry, public perception and popularity, quality of construction.
    Last edited by Sol invictus; 19th February 2014 at 10:05 PM.

Sound Scents

Default Re: Designer hall of fame

Patou pour Homme (vintage) closely followed by Fahrenheit (vintage).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

In descending order.

Patou: X (Great construction, but probably less than 1% of the population even knew it was a scent)
    Egoiste: XX (Great construction as well, with better exposure)
    Dior: XXX (Good construction, good exposure, still relatively new)
    Le Male: XXXX (Good construction/unique for its time, has stood test of time, popular)
    Fahrenheit: XXXXX (Great construction, test of time, popular)

Egoiste. By a mile.

Chanel Egoiste
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For me it's no question about it...Fahrenheit!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    For me it's no question about it...Fahrenheit!
    Same here. It was so completely ahead of it's time, at the time....and still holds up extremely well today.

Basenotes Plus

Dior Fahrenheit, by a veeeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyy long stretch. This is one of the best fragrances ever made, hands down, no contest. I just recently uncovered and bought a vintage bottle, very happy with it, it definitely is stronger, darker, more vibrant, and a whole lot longer lasting than the current version. I have 7 bottles of it, from the original/vintage 1998, all the way to the most current 2013, and love them all (well, vintage slightly more, but they are all good).

Patou - I agree, most people would have no clue and would have never heard of it before. It doesn't matter if it's good, if no one knows about it.

JPG Le Male - does not seem to fit on this list. It was new and groundbreaking when released, I suppose, but it's such an old 90's scent that has been redone a million ways since then, and now feels like bubblegum. Not a fan of this one anymore, and do not find it a 'masterpiece'. Used to wear it... in 1995 or so, but not anymore.

Did I mention, Dior Fahrenheit? +1000. :-)

From this list: Egoiste

Blog Entries

Another vote for Egoiste by Chanel.

My vote goes to Fahrenheit.

Basenotes Plus

Dior Homme

another vote for Fahrenheit.

Vintage Fahrenheit by a large margin for me....
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Patou pour Homme and Egoiste would be my choices. Unfortunately, I have bad associations with Fahrenheit...had a friend in the '90s who wore it way too heavily, perhaps in his attempt to compete with his wife's heavy applications of Coco. Going out with the two of them was a challenge just to breathe!

Agree with those that said Egoiste.

Dior Fahrenheit (vintage)
    I don't see how it can be any other from the list. Le Male is just not good enough and the others, while amazing fragrances, are not nearly as well known as Fahrenheit.
    My personal vote would go to Patou Pour Homme, but it is not nearly as well known, or mainstream so to speak, as Fahrenheit.

Unless of course its a trick question and Fahrenheit, and some others listed here, are already in the hall of fame.

Egoiste, by a country mile...

are the carons too inexpensive to be contenders?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Basenotes Plus

From your list I'd choose Fahrenheit. Can't see why Dior Homme is up there though..

Egoiste, hands down.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Things to consider when deciding: each fragrances Influence on the perfume industry, public perception and popularity, quality of construction.
    I think this is being missed by many who are voting.

Fahrenheit was such a huge success that it altered the industry. Over 25 years later, it's still producing flankers and having an impact on the industry. It revolutionized how fragrances were looked at, and is still one of the most popular and best selling fragrances to this day.

Egoiste? Well...it was such a disappointment to Chanel and sales were so disappointing, that just a few years later they came out with PLATINUM Egoiste, which promptly replaced it was THE "go-to" Egoiste in Chanel's lineup. Platinum outsells the original Egoiste, and is much easier to find (because more department stores and online fragrance retailers carry it, and they're in this to make money, not satisfy niche fragrance community guy). So how an item that had a flanker replace it as a staple in most department stores and as Chanel's flagship male fragrance from the early 90's is this close to an absolute legend in the fragrance industry is more than a little mind boggling to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I think this is being missed by many who are voting.

Fahrenheit was such a huge success that it altered the industry. Over 25 years later, it's still producing flankers and having an impact on the industry. It revolutionized how fragrances were looked at, and is still one of the most popular and best selling fragrances to this day.

Egoiste? Well...it was such a disappointment to Chanel and sales were so disappointing, that just a few years later they came out with PLATINUM Egoiste, which promptly replaced it was THE "go-to" Egoiste in Chanel's lineup. Platinum outsells the original Egoiste, and is much easier to find (because more department stores and online fragrance retailers carry it, and they're in this to make money, not satisfy niche fragrance community guy). So how an item that had a flanker replace it as a staple in most department stores and as Chanel's flagship male fragrance from the early 90's is this close to an absolute legend in the fragrance industry is more than a little mind boggling to me.....
    I think your right.
    I'm guilty of not reading the second sentence.

Based on that, I would have to pick Fahrenheit as well.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Egoiste for me.
    I sampled Farenheite, and just didn't gef the hype. It wsn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I think your right.
    I'm guilty of not reading the second sentence.

Based on that, I would have to pick Fahrenheit as well.
    I wasn't picking on you or anyone else....I was just pointing that out, in case some people were unaware when they were voting. Sorry for the confusion.

By the way....as a side note...knowing how these forums work....I knew when I posted that, that there would be a good chance of the next several votes being cast for Egoiste (kind of as a "F you" to me, for pointing that out)....which has now gone from 2 down to 1 up. LOL...I hate to say it, but some things are simply too predictable.

DH

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

Fahrenheit... but only old formulations. New one deserves to go into Hall of Shame.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I didn't even hesitate when ticking fahrenheit (vintage). Truly one of the bests of all time.

Egoiste!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Egoiste. By a mile.
    Agreed.

I have to say Dior Homme hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Patou pour Homme (vintage) closely followed by Fahrenheit (vintage).

what he ^^^^ says

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dior Homme

They're all basically in my book hall of famers (except Patou, some might differ), question is what's their home run, base hits, OBP, Hitting Average..etc over all : for those who do not follow baseball then soccer what their Goals tabulation, assist, Golden foot Awards , championship clutch ness ..etc for their lifetime career ...so overall they're all hall of fame veterans or soon to be inductees at different levels and positions !
    Last edited by magnus611; 20th February 2014 at 02:27 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

If Egoiste and Fahrenheit were discontinued, then their pricee would be as high as Jean Patou pour Homme or much higher than that.

So many people claim Jean Patou pH is the best male fragrance ever made, but I am sure that many people would say Egoiste or Fahrenheit are the best male fragrances ever made if they were discontinued.

Our psychology..

Le Male foe me!!!

Dior Homme for me.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    So many people claim Jean Patou pH is the best male fragrance ever made.
    Yeah, that is definitely an overstatement imo. I really don't understand all the hoopla over it.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a complex, unique, high quality scent. But it's not the be all, end all.
    I think Patou PH Prive is so much better.
    Last edited by ajmc; 20th February 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Fahrenheit, though I haven't smelled Patou PH. I was afraid to take the blind plunge. I need to seek a sample.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Vintage Fahrenheit

Thumbs up Re: Designer hall of fame

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Fahrenheit by a mile just based on the question because of it's exposure, it's uniqueness, and how it single handedly changed the standards of the fragrance industry unlike any other scent in existence (maybe with the exception to Farina 1709-the original eau de cologne). Oh not to mention how it's still relevant and a top seller today. Furthermore, I've never come across a scent that is loved equally as much by the average population and the Basenotes community as Fahrenheit is.

With that mind, my personal preference would have to be DH as I haven't been privilged enough to smell the vintage Patou PH
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Dior Homme is my personal favourite, of those that I'm familiar with, of the choices offered.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Yeah, that is definitely an overstatement imo. I really don't understand all the hoopla over it.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a complex, unique, high quality scent. But it's not the be all, end all.
    I think Patou PH Prive is so much better.
    In my case I absolutely do understand the hoopla as PPH is incredible smelling stuff in its vintage form. That said, I fully agree PPH Privé is even better, and it easily is my favorite of the two. It really is too bad Kerleo's über masterpiece is so rare and expensive on the aftermarket that few will ever get a chance to sniff it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Égoïste / L\'Égoïste by Chanel, one of my top picks, I should wear it more.

For me it would be Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme and YSL M7. Must be the vintage versions of both.

Dior Fahrenheit
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

YSL L'Homme...not on OP's list. Masterpiece which is not complex (ie Fahrenheit, Egoiste). Tastes have evolved, but this keeps it simple in a big way.
    Last edited by Navyy8; 21st February 2014 at 11:55 AM.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Considering all the OP criteria...it has to be no other than Fahrenheit. Today.

IMO, it will be joined by Dior Homme, Tomorrow.

Guerlainista

I voted Egoiste, but was on the fence with Fahrenheit.

I know that it's not as commercially successful as the Dior, but that isn't the most important consideration for me. If it were, Acqua di Gio would be the only correct answer and Justin Beiber would have already been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I went with Egoiste because it has retained it's character over time and is still amazing. Fahrenheit has changed into something that may still be good, but not nearly as distinctive and arresting as it was back in the early 90s. Dior has made it safe.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If it was just based of influence on the perfume industry, you'd have to give this one to Le Male. How many other frags since have tried to be a new spin on Le Male? It, along with Joop Homme were the start of the "new dandyism", unapologeticly sweet mens frags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I voted Egoiste, but was on the fence with Fahrenheit.

I know that it's not as commercially successful as the Dior,
    They are both Dior fragrances, so I'm assuming you meant "not as commercially successful as the Dior Homme"...?

I hate to break this to you, but Fahrenheit outsells DH 1000 to 1 (and historically since its release date has probably outsold DH by far more than that). It's been on the market since 1998 and still sells very well. Outside of BN community, very few people actually know Dior Homme at all, but most people have at least heard of Fahrenheit, or have owned it at some point in their lives. Please take my 1000:1 number with a grain of salt, but I have spoken with couple of my friendly SAs and they both told me Fahrenheit is a no-brainer for most guys who walk into the store to get a cologne, and the only guys who seek out or ask for DH are fragrance junkies. As such, I think Fahrenheit has truly earned its "hall of fame" status as it's completely ubiquitous and has retained its popularity after 26 years on the shelves (despite reformulations) and even the latest version is still head and shoulders above many other mainstream/designer fragrances that are being released today.

If DH remains to be popular in another 15 years, then perhaps it will earn its keep on this list, but for now, I think Fahrenheit is the king of designer fragrances. My bet is that DH style fragrances will fade out over time as this whole style of fragrances is not getting popular with the non-BN masses - regular civilians prefer much lighter, simpler, quieter, non-offensive fragrances, succumbing to the generic fragrance category.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    They are both Dior fragrances, so I'm assuming you meant "not as commercially successful as the Dior Homme"...?

I hate to break this to you, but Fahrenheit outsells DH 1000 to 1 (and historically since its release date has probably outsold DH by far more than that). It's been on the market since 1998 and still sells very well. Outside of BN community, very few people actually know Dior Homme at all, but most people have at least heard of Fahrenheit, or have owned it at some point in their lives. Please take my 1000:1 number with a grain of salt, but I have spoken with couple of my friendly SAs and they both told me Fahrenheit is a no-brainer for most guys who walk into the store to get a cologne, and the only guys who seek out or ask for DH are fragrance junkies. As such, I think Fahrenheit has truly earned its "hall of fame" status as it's completely ubiquitous and has retained its popularity after 26 years on the shelves (despite reformulations) and even the latest version is still head and shoulders above many other mainstream/designer fragrances that are being released today.

If DH remains to be popular in another 15 years, then perhaps it will earn its keep on this list, but for now, I think Fahrenheit is the king of designer fragrances. My bet is that DH style fragrances will fade out over time as this whole style of fragrances is not getting popular with the non-BN masses - regular civilians prefer much lighter, simpler, quieter, non-offensive fragrances, succumbing to the generic fragrance category.
    I was talking about Egoiste and Fahrenheit. By "the Dior", I meant Fahrenheit.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I voted Egoiste.

Basenotes Junkie

Voted vintage Fahrenheit, but oh so close to voting for either Egoiste or DH. Those 3 are each walk-off grand slams in my wardrobe.

Dior Fahrenheit (vintage) from the list . But i feel Eau sauvage needs a place on this list

Can I vote none of the above? M7 wins.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!