Code of Conduct

Default Doubting Your Like of a Fragrance Based on Negative Reviews and Comments

Hi all:

Do you ever find that you really like a fragrance but have doubts about it strictly because the fragrance has negative reviews and comments, both here on basenotes and elsewhere? I'm not talking about general differences of opinion but instances in which a fragrance has overwhelmingly negative responses. For instance, I received samples of a fragrance that has received one of the worst drubbings of any fragrance released in the last couple of years, but each time I wore the samples, I found that I really liked it more and more. I know that we are inclined to say "wear what you like," but I found that I couldn't stop second-guessing myself and wondering what was wrong with me for liking a fragrance that almost everyone seemed to say was bad, which kept me from buying it.

Has that ever happened to you?

Thanks.

Default Re: Doubting Your Like of a Fragrance Based on Negative Reviews and Comments

No. No offense to any, but many reviews are a case of the emperor's new clothes.

Default Re: Doubting Your Like of a Fragrance Based on Negative Reviews and Comments

I have a confession that many years ago I had a bottle of Joop that I wore everyday for eighteen months. I enjoyed it at the time and I never had any negative feedback.

Since coming onto basenotes years later I see the negative reviews and comments and look back and wonder why I liked it. And also wonder why no one said anything bad about it at work. But it's all in retrospect as I have since moved on in my taste.

Well I never let it keep me from buying it, but my buddy Serge Noire got knocked around pretty good in the reviews if memory serves correct. Since the only nose that knows best is the one on one's face, I bought it without a second thought and have no regrets.

Also, with all the IFRA restrictions, reformulations, and aging & handling variables... who really knows if what you're smelling and what 'they' were smelling are the same (enough). Plus, I really don't care a hoot if a bunch of 20 somethings, or such, think that Azzaro pH or Kouros or <you get the picture> are vile concoctions, then go on about positive qualities of 1 million or some other sweet current offering. Hell, I'm in my 50s and a bit of an old-schooler; I wouldn't expect to share a lot of common tastes. Perspective is everything.

I said it once and I'll say it again: to me, reviews are more a reflection of the reviewer's tastes than an accurate reflection of what's actually inside that bottle of cologne and whether it'll appeal to you.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 19th February 2014 at 11:42 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

No, I don't really care what others think. I enjoy Armani Code Sport, people here hate it. When it's discontinued in 5 years, I'm sure it'll be a big hit here :-)
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Not really. I still love my Kenneth Cole fragrances that I own - and they sure aren't Basenotes darlings.

Also, I don't second guess my dislike of many fragrances that are wildly adored by many people here.

Besides, I have realized that Basenotes consensus is quite a moving target. Just look at Tobacco Vanille - 2 years ago, it was the greatest thing ever created. Now, seems more people are jumping all over it "cloying", "vanilla candle", etc...

Just sniff it and decide for yourself -- always good to be a trend setter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    When it's discontinued in 5 years, I'm sure it'll be a big hit here :-)
    That, I'm sure is true. There is a lot of "I have it, you don't - so it's AWESOME!" around here it seems.

Not in the slightest. You have got be a very insecure person who is unsure of what your own personal tastes, likes/dislikes are and/or easily influenced by others if your concerned about not wearing something you really like the smell of because strangers on the internet tell you they dont like it, or its inferior, or any other reason for that matter... lol.

Escentric Molecule 01 comes to mind... alot of negative chatter (about not being able to smell it, whole lot of nothing, I could mix a batch of ISO E Super in my basement for 1/10 of the price...etc). Happen to like this one especially on warmer days. Get a cedar note that's addicting.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Not really. I like what I like. I do take others' viewpoints into consideration, especially when it comes to specific notes in a fragrance but each nose is different and I trust my nose most of all. If someone I spend a lot of time with doesn't like it (i.e. My girlfriend), I try not to wear it around that individual. What I'm trying to say is, others' input helps but you like what you like. If you start noticing people around you are covering their noses or giving you negative feedback then you might want to consider wearing something else but I wouldn't worry too much.

Never. While I respect and appreciate what people have to say positively or negatively about any fragrance, it never has any influence on whether I purchase the fragrance or not.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nah, most of the scents I own are cheap designers that wouldn't get much love from most and especially not here. But I rock them proudly anyway because they smell great to me!(Ed Hardy Born Wild is one of my signature scents for example ) Now am I always proud to admit the name of the fragrance I'm wearing when it gets complimented or asked what it is?! Well....that's a different question all together!lol

No, but sometimes my own opinion of a fragrance changes and things that I come to dislike about it may be things that I had previously read in a review but had failed to see, smell, or understand.

But don't let the reviews make you doubt yourself!
    Last edited by Buysblind; 20th February 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Yes a lot of people on the internet with "refined noses" hate on YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense but I love it and so do everyone I show it to and women at work. A lot of people hate on flankers and give them horrible reviews because they "are too different from the original" Half of my top 6 are flankers so I'm not to worried. Also I love Fahrenheit 32 but a lot of people hate on it lol.

No. I'm interested in reading people's analysis of a scent, and even reasons why they don't like it, but it has never swayed my opinion about a fragrance I already like. I cannot, however, rule out Basenotes raves and hype surrounding popular scents from instilling expectation bias and perhaps making me like something more than I would have if I'd sampled it without reading a thing about it. Still, understanding a scent can often help me appreciate and like it more.

Very negative reviews at Basenotes are pretty often written by the
    "If it's not a work of art I dislike it"/ " If I detect anything synthetic I hate it"/ "If it's not a feminine scent, it's not bottle worthy"/ "I only wear fragrance for my own personal pleasure"/ "If it's not niche it's not good"/ "It's crap" types.

I only really pay attention to the negative reviews of the
    "It doesn't last long enough and I feel ripped off"/ "It's too darn girlie, how can any man wear this stuff?" types.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th February 2014 at 01:58 AM.

Reading reviews influences you, whether you like it or not. If you read a review just before sampling a fragrance, you will be focussed if you experience the same thing as told in the review. If the review says projection is poor... you are going to test it... and maybe agree to it. If the review says something smells like piss (yes there was a review saying that about Kouros) you will be smelling and wondering if you smell it as well! Chances are you will smell it, while you wouldn't have smelled it if you didn't read about it. So yes, you are always being influenced.

Can you be influenced afterwards? I think you can. If a lot of people (or reviews) would tell you, your favourite fragrance stinks, you might ending up not wearing it anymore, since you associate the criticism with the fragrance. "If so many people say it stinks.... it can't be any good." If you only read one or two negative reviews I wouldn't bother. Situation would change though if people close to you would start complaining. Then it becomes personal. Probably you don't want to be that stinky guy, and chances are your favourite fragrance won't be your friend anymore
    Last edited by TheSnifferMan; 20th February 2014 at 01:59 AM.

I like and often wear Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme, so that I think that's a no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Very negative reviews at Basenotes are pretty often written by the
    "If it's not a work of art I dislike it"/ " If I detect anything synthetic I hate it"/ "If it's not a feminine scent, it's not bottle worthy"/ "I only wear fragrance for my own personal pleasure"/ "If it's not niche it's not good"/ "It's crap" types.

I only really pay attention to the negative reviews of the
    "It doesn't last long enough and I feel ripped off"/ "It's too darn girlie, how can any man wear this stuff?" types.
    Regards,
    Renato
    This x 1000.

I wear scents that are pleasant to me and have utilitarian value and hopefully last.

I couldn't care less how exclusive or artistic a scent is. I wear it all day for the above reasons. Id wear old spice pure sport body wash if they made it a fragrance.

I think too many of us get caught up in only wearing scents that only other scent heads deem as having artistic merit, and its silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnifferMan View Post
    Reading reviews influences you, whether you like it or not. If you read a review just before sampling a fragrance, you will be focussed if you experience the same thing as told in the review. If the review says projection is poor... you are going to test it... and maybe agree to it. If the review says something smells like piss (yes there was a review saying that about Kouros) you will be smelling and wondering if you smell it as well! Chances are you will smell it, while you wouldn't have smelled it if you didn't read about it. So yes, you are always being influenced.

Can you be influenced afterwards? I think you can. If a lot of people (or reviews) would tell you, your favourite fragrance stinks, you might ending up not wearing it anymore, since you associate the criticism with the fragrance. "If so many people say it stinks.... it can't be any good." If you only read one or two negative reviews I wouldn't bother. Situation would change though if people close to you would start complaining. Then it becomes personal. Probably you don't want to be that stinky guy, and chances are your favourite fragrance won't be your friend anymore
    You are 100% on the money. We're all human. Opinions matter.

This seems about right.

Basenotes Plus

Sure, negative comments influences me. Sure, I second guess myself.

But I still like it, and I will still wear it.

I've had the opposite experience. I didn't like a scent, read positive reviews, revisited the scent, and decided I liked it. Sometimes reviewers point out notes or qualities I missed. Being influenced by others isn't necessarily a bad thing.

First thing i do if i'm interested in a fragrance is :

- Find out what are the dominant notes in its composition based on votes ( an awesome feature on another site which i really like).

- Check out the longevity/projection votes ( on another site)

Negative reviews don't really play any role before i buy because tastes are subjective.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    You are 100% on the money. We're all human. Opinions matter.
    Totally agree, although very few people here would admit it.

Random slating of a perfume I like won't make me dislike it, but reviews that point out an aspect or an association that I hadn't noticed have ruined a couple of perfumes. As soon as someone mentioned that Bois Farine smelled like peanut butter, I knew I'd never wear it again.

And on the flip side, I like to see perfumes that I like rated highly by people whose opinions I respect. Some opinions and reviews have more weight than others, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I've had the opposite experience. I didn't like a scent, read positive reviews, revisited the scent, and decided I liked it. Sometimes reviewers point out notes or qualities I missed. Being influenced by others isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Yes, it is also very useful when someone points out they weren't fond of a scent for similar reasons to you, but how it has suddenly grown on him or her.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Maybe at first, but after a while you get to know your fellow members. Member x may hate a certain house, so when you hear member x talk about or review a fragrance from that house, you know this individuals opinion you have to ignore.

only influence: the reviews about a scent lacking sillage/duration

It sometimes helps to get a general feel of a fragrance. That's about it. If I like the fragrance, it's good to go.

"Your" nose knows best.
    Last edited by thebeck; 20th February 2014 at 01:36 PM.

Only when doing research before obtaining a decant or so it might affect a bit. To each it's own and smell it your own self for God knows how many busted noses are out there, so sample them out as this venture is very subjective more times then others but nevertheless there do exist overall dead fish scents out there that are not subjective.....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Declaration by Cartier. Got on well with it at first, then read all the 'Indian Kitchen' comparisons and gave my bottle away.

Now I am thankfully back with on a new bottle since I tried it during the summer heat whilst on honeymoon.

Actually, it seems to work the other way with me.
    If I like something, any negative reviews don't affect that but sometimes I've been encouraged to persist with a fragrance that was initially dismissed by reading what others have written.
    It doesn't always work that way 'though, some just remain at the bottom of the pile!

I am much more influenced by positive reviews than negative. I view reviews and generally pay attention to what the fragrance evokes visually in to the reviewer rather than just positive or negative votes. I still think Black Afgano is a fantastic fragrance but a lot of the veteran basenote members find it repulsive. Also I find as I sniff more and more fragrances, some of the other fragrances that I discovered early in my journey are just not as appealing as they once were.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I use reviews as a tool to make an informed decision of what to sample or blind buy but it isn't something I take as gospel. As far as the way something smells, it's very different to different people. I mostly consider what people say about the sillage and projection of a scent. If every review I read says "lasts 10 minutes and gone", I will be less likely to purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    This is what I more often experience. I am ho hum on a new sample, read reviews, revisit and pick out new notes and aspects of enjoyment - now its on my full bottle list . I don't view this as me being easily swayed, more just learning to appreciate.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    First thing i do if i'm interested in a fragrance is :

- Find out what are the dominant notes in its composition based on votes ( an awesome feature on another site which i really like).

- Check out the longevity/projection votes ( on another site)

Negative reviews don't really play any role before i buy because tastes are subjective.
    Basenotes in my "home" fragrance site, but I too like the features of the that other site a lot. I think collecting an aggregate of votes regarding note presence and longevity is pretty genius.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Never. If I like the way a fragrance smells on me, I could care less about the reviews. I only use reviews as an informative tool for what I might sample. I really don't blind buy anymore, I've had too many bad experiences from fragrances that receive positive reviews but I simply don't like on myself.

Of course it has some effect.

If I absolutely love a scent but everyone absolutely hates it, I'm going to second guess making that purchase. An example of that is A&F Fierce. Its a good scent but some factors made it a bad purchase (too popular, its for teeny kids, etc).

I'm not perfect, so yes, public opinion does factor into my decision making.

Lastly, even though I take public opinion into account, I still take reviews with a grain of salt. Some frag lovers are extremely biased and quick to bash a house/frag based on price. Some are unaware how projection/sillage works (perhaps you cant smell it but others do?). Some like winter scents and hate spring/summer scents. Some spray their frags on skin and it smells awful, however, some spray the same frag on clothes and it smells great. Some love a fragrance because of the bottle, lmao. Theres WAY . . . WAYYYYY too many variables.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 21st February 2014 at 05:24 AM.

Negative as well as positive reviews might play some role before I smell the fragrance, after I smell it myself then positive or negative review don't effect what I think about that scent. Close friends and family members' opinion is another story though

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Negative as well as positive reviews might play some role before I smell the fragrance, after I smell it myself then positive or negative review don't effect what I think about that scent.
    I can relate to this.

I use the reviews and people's opinions to help me select what to sample. After that I make my own decision. Since I believe that if God himself came down and gave us a fragrance called "Dew of Heaven" there would be some people that would call it a toilet bowl cleaner smell. I don't give much weight to negative reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Since I believe that if God himself came down and gave us a fragrance called "Dew of Heaven" there would be some people that would call it a toilet bowl cleaner smell.
    Exactly! This is an awesome hypothetical and did literally make me lol

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post

I said it once and I'll say it again: to me, reviews are more a reflection of the reviewer's tastes than an accurate reflection of what's actually inside that bottle of cologne and whether it'll appeal to you.

I have a lot more to say on this topic but the above is of utmost importance.

What happens when a reviewer gives a perfume a negative rating because he/she doesn't like rose or hyacinth or leather.
    So perfumes with prominent rose or leather get negative reviews, generally. But you'd never know why because it may not occur to the reviewer to mention his or her disaffinity to the note.

Price or affordability is another critical issue.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 21st February 2014 at 12:56 PM.

for swap/sale:

I have to agree with Mr. Hedonist. I feel reviews...be it perfume, movies, books or music are simply a reflection of an individuals tastes. They do not mirror my own. So no, I am more an experience for myself type of guy. What seems to catch my attention is when someone mentions that a scent has been reformulated. I have distinctive memories of what original scents caused me to feel.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

When I was in my teens and twenties, I would care what other people thought, but now I'm past that. I like to see what other people have to say about fragrances, but it would never stop me from buying or wearing what I liked because of it....even Luca Turin-- the demigod of fragrance reviewers!

It only reminds me that everybody's nose is different. Rock on Quorum!.

I never doubt my own tastes. Ever. If someone does not like a scent, its his own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    When I was in my teens and twenties, I would care what other people thought, but now I'm past that. I like to see what other people have to say about fragrances, but it would never stop me from buying or wearing what I liked because of it....even Luca Turin-- the demigod of fragrance reviewers!
    Perfectly my sentiment. I enjoy many scents that are trashed in The Guide. Likewise, I dislike many that are praised. I enjoy The Guide immensely and have the new edition book, but I follow my own perceptions.
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st February 2014 at 04:00 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

No. A positive review might encourage me to sample a perfume, but that's the extent of it. We all have different scent preferences after all.

There's even a study on the variability of scent perception:

http://www.monell.org/news/news_rele...tory_receptors