Code of Conduct

Question Like It Or Not - On The Fence Fragrances....

I recently revisited Theorema Uomo, (Fendi) after many years.
    This fragrance throws me completely.
    To my nose there's a huge dominating melon note, (honeydew melon?)....but it's totally synthetic, like the smell of melon bubblegum.
    I find it at the same time completely irritating, yet somehow fascinating. No such note is listed, but I get the melon note loud and clear !
    I'm really on the fence with this one. I can't honestly decide if I like it or not.
    .....talk about a fragrance sending mixed messages !

Has anyone else got a similar experience to share ?
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Like It Or Not - On The Fence Fragrances....

Fahrenheit for me...smells kind of off putting, but I have to keep coming back and smelling my hand!lol To a slightly lesser degree L'eau D I'ssey as well.

Quite similar experiences, for various reasons, with quite a few fragrances:

Roma Uomo-smells rich, distinguished and classy to me, yet dries down a bit too powdery (would probably still buy)
    Quartz by Molyneux- all its notes and their blending are flawless, still, tends to become a bit too neutral, linear and inoffensive (again, no major impediment to buy this)
    Both Duc de Vervins and English Blazer-two fragrances reminding, in different ways, of Drakkar Noir, would probably still choose Drakkar over them, yet still not deny a purchase
    Salvador Dali PH- now, this is a puzzle, since I truly enjoy its notes as a final result, but on the way to finally reaching the base, this fragrance tends to follow at least two distinct tendencies and not in a very harmonic way (one being, to my nose, a green, mossy, resinous fougere, another one tend towards a dark, almost tar-like and smoky leathery powerhouse), would probably still choose this fragrance, even if just for standing out and not being generic
    G Man by Gainsboro- again, a dark, leathery scent with powdery undertones, even if very good, to be handled with sparse applications, since the notes so richly masculine could easily become overpowering, and probably more likely than with lighter scents (still, no major impediment)
    Somewhat similar with other leather or chypre heavy hitters, including, but not limited to Givenchy Gentleman, RL Polo Green, Preferred Stock- they are undoubtedly good, yet their notes tend to sometimes stop quite short of (near) perfection, however, would probably still choose them, even if just for sentimental reasons and also my interest for classics

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Fahrenheit for me...smells kind of off putting, but I have to keep coming back and smelling my hand!lol To a slightly lesser degree L'eau D I'ssey as well.
    +1

I never understood Fahrenheit..

I was on the fence with Rose 31 for the longest time, before I finally took a leap and bought a bottle and now I love it.

Somewhat similar with Oud 27, where I thought it was so weird, but I kept sniffing it at Barney's when I'd drop by, and eventually had to admit I liked it. Now I'm glad I have a bottle, though I wouldn't say it's love (yet, at least).

Comme des Garcons Artek Standard. Sometimes I love the weird rust-and-wood effect, sometimes it drives me crazy. Hinoki also goes back and forth for me.

M/Mink is another one I actually like, but then I'm not sure.

I guess most of these are inherently challenging fragrances as it is, so it's to be expected.

Andy Tauer, Orange Star. The sample I got was too small. I'm wearing the very last of it tonight... and... I don't know. I might love it! I might hate it! It's definitely compelling! ...I probably need to get another sample... ugh!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

It has happened with smells that were in many ways weird but novel and compelling. One example is Petroleum, which I find unwearable, yet I keep going back to smelling it.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Andy Tauer, Orange Star. The sample I got was too small. I'm wearing the very last of it tonight... and... I don't know. I might love it! I might hate it! It's definitely compelling! ...I probably need to get another sample... ugh!
    My sample is on the way and i'm interested in this one.

Is the orange note in it : zesty fresh or ambery sweet ?
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 20th February 2014 at 06:25 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Nice thread. Rose 31 has that effect. The skany note makes me not want to wear it sometimes. Overall, a great scent.

I know I'm gonna get hate male for this but Green Irish tweed and not because is not a great frag is just that the connotations to cool water are so immense irregardless of better quality materials on GIT : as much I revisit and as much I want to love it ...but I can't but do respect those that do and do recommend it to those that are looking for a fresh violet leaf with quality besides other notes exuded by scent.....peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 20th February 2014 at 02:23 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Find this happens to me with Cesar by Melfleurs - off putting but at the same time enticing. Something in it that I find unique but after a while overbearing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I sort of hate everything about Eros (and Versace in general)

But I kinda like the smell

Basenotes Plus

I am experiencing this with 1725, Heritage, and New York. I love the lemon and lavender opening, and the great vanilla drydown but I think the way cedar is used in these is what is causing me to be nauseous.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Lonestar Memories

New Dior Homme cologne. Can't decide if I could live with the floral aspect of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    My sample is on the way and i'm interested in this one.

Is the orange note in it : zesty fresh or ambery sweet ?
    That's a tough one. The orange note in it is very... orange. It isn't candy-ish, like many orange scents can be, nor is it a bright sharp fleeting citrus. And longevity is off the charts.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

That's a tough one. The orange note in it is very... orange. It isn't candy-ish, like many orange scents can be, nor is it a bright sharp fleeting citrus. And longevity is off the charts.
    Sweet and soapy, is what I got.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Sweet and soapy, is what I got.
    Okay thanks, yeah that's what i probably meant by zesty. Seems right up my alley then. Looking forward to try when sample gets here.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Cartier Declaration is something I've been waffling on.

Composition:
    Top: Birchwood, Bergamot, Bitter Orange [artemisia, caraway, coriander, birch, mandarin orange, bergamot, neroli and bitter orange]
    Middle: Juniper wood, Artemesia, Cardamom [iris, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, juniper, orris root, jasmine and guatemalan cardamom]
    Base: Cedarwood, Vetiver, Oakmoss [leather, amber, tea, tahitian vetiver, oakmoss and cedar]

On paper I get a citrus accord that is nice, but applied to my skin causes an exaggeration of caraway and coriander that overpowers the rest. I thought I could get used to it, but I simply can't. It's like I've been sitting in an Indian restaurant kitchen for a few hours. I wish it would smell on my skin as it does on paper, but it simply doesn't.

St. Dupont Pour Homme is similar to Cartier Declaration but without being heavy on the spices. I liked it at first, but then... the floral notes in it seem to hang on too long. It comes across too feminine for my nose. And when two different people I know asked if I was wearing a women's fragrance, that sort of did it in for me. I still have it, but on the fence on whether or not I should give it more time.

Then there's Gres Cabochard. It has a smoky leathery quality about it, but also a prominent floral component. This seems to change on me from time to time. One day I'll spray it on and be consumed with what feels like a "grandma fragrance." Other days it'll feel more masculine to me, with the floral notes toned down. I'm on the fence with this one enough that I think I'll just ditch it and be done with the inconsistent experience.
    Last edited by cytherian; 20th February 2014 at 08:58 PM.