Code of Conduct

Default DHI owners, need your help!!!

Hey guys, you've probably answered these posts a million times and many apologies if I ask something that's already been answered.

I purchased a bottle of DHI off of ebay and I just had a bad feeling about this knowing it's such a faked frag. Before the initial spray I immediately checked the bottle and everything seemed legit. Info is stamped on the bottom of the bottle and was able to check the serial and find out that it was manufactured in March of 2013 so it is new formulation. The only thing about the bottle that made me kind of iffy was the dark grey atomizer tip. I've heard it's suppose to be black? Is this correct? The black stem is perfectly straight. The cap of the atomizer has CD stamped into it as well as the top of the bottle. Colour of juice looks correct too to me.

Now for the initial spray which really through me for a loop. It's winter where I am so the juice was very cold, not sure if that makes a difference but I was immediately blasted with a strong alcohol smell. That shocked me because I've never heard a reviewer say this about this frag. So I waived my arm around and finally it calmed down and it does smell like baby powder and cocoa to me but it's extremely light and not overpowering whatsoever. I have to put my nose right up to it to even smell it. I've heard from many reviewers that this stuff is easily over powering if you're not careful.

What do you guys think? Should I return or does the new formulation have that alcohol kick to it at first?

Thanks guys. Btw if you want any pics of the bottle. I can do that. I boxed it back up cause I was so sure it was fake. Now I don't know. It seems decent on the dry down, just not powerful as I thought.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: DHI owners, need your help!!!

The atomizer tip is black with "CD" engraved in it. This is strong stuff, so no need to press your nose into your arm to smell it. I think you got a dodgy bottle!

I've never noticed an alcohol blast at all with this one. It is one that plays longevity tricks on you. I wore it yesterday as my SOTD, and although I couldn't smell myself, I had numerous people comment on how strong my fragrance was all day long.

I never noticed that alcohol kick either. Bottom line, if you're not 100% satisfied with your purchase, hopefully you have recourse to return it to the seller and get your money back.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks guys for your quick replies. I think it is a fake as well I was really excited when I saw the quality of the bottle but I'm wondering if fakers out there are taking old used bottles and filling them up again using a syringe with fake juice. Have you guys ever heard of a fake bottle with the right info stamped into the bottom of the glass?

I was so disgusted, I ordered a bottle from fragrancex.com right away lol.

on the bright side my L'artisan Batucada came in at the same time. Wow. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

I messaged the seller and he didn't even try to deny it was a fake. He just said return it for a refund.

I knew I had seen a discussion about the bottle recently. Here it is. Maybe it is of some help:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/375...tic-or-fake-**

There is certainly an iris assault initially but I've never noticed any alcohol. On the contrary it's very smooth.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

The sprayer should be black. I have never smelled any alcohol in DHI in any formula.

checkcosmetics.com, The batch code did check out at this website. Do you guys think this means anything? I'm wondering if counterfeiters are getting their hands on used legit bottles and reusing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    checkcosmetics.com, The batch code did check out at this website. Do you guys think this means anything? I'm wondering if counterfeiters are getting their hands on used legit bottles and reusing them.
    If it were fake, that would just mean that they took a Dior batch # and stamped it on one of their bottles.

Think about the cost and hassle would be involved in getting real bottles.

DSC_0055.jpgDSC_0056.jpgDSC_0054.jpgDSC_0055.jpg

Looks pretty good other than the grey tip?

Maybe I'm overreacting. I just checked several youtube videos from dradoc and a few others and they all have the little grey tip where the spray comes out...........

It's been 3 hours since I sprayed it on my arm and I'm still getting whiffs of powdery cocoa.......
    Last edited by Sheppy99; 20th February 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    If it were fake, that would just mean that they took a Dior batch # and stamped it on one of their bottles.

Think about the cost and hassle would be involved in getting real bottles.
    good point.......

DSC_0055.jpgDSC_0056.jpgDSC_0054.jpgDSC_0055.jpg

Looks pretty good other than the grey tip?

Maybe I'm overreacting. I just checked several youtube videos from dradoc and a few others and they all have the little grey tip where the spray comes out...........

It's been 3 hours since I sprayed it on my arm and I'm still getting whiffs of powdery cocoa.......

That looks real to me, my version also has the grey tip and I know for a fact mine is real.

Just did a quick test spray on my wrist and there is a brief smell of alcohol, maybe a few seconds then coco kicks in. As for the alcohol, don't most most fragrances contain alcohol.

I never found DHI that over powering, you don't get choked out. In fact after an hour or so, I can hardly smell it.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 20th February 2014 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    That looks real to me, my version also has the grey tip and I know for a fact mine is real.

Just did a quick test spray on my wrist and there is a brief smell of alcohol, maybe a few seconds then coco kicks in. As for the alcohol, don't most most fragrances contain alcohol.

I never found DHI that over powering, you don't get choked out. In fact after an hour or soon, I can hardly smell it.
    Thank you for your reply. It really gives me piece of mind that it is in fact real. I was starting to move in that direction the more and more I researched. I'm getting a very pleasant whiff of cocoa and almost like a baby powder every so often. So it is definitely there still hours later. The alcohol smell did go away rather quickly like you said and I've heard people say that this is one of those frags that just because you can't smell it on yourself, doesn't mean others can't.

Thanks again for testing your frag out for me! I just sent a message to the ebayer apologizing for the misunderstanding. I feel confident it is the real thing.

This!
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I never noticed that alcohol kick either. Bottom line, if you're not 100% satisfied with your purchase, hopefully you have recourse to return it to the seller and get your money back.

Looks like the real thing to me... I think people interpreted your original description as the entire atomizer head being dark grey, but the pics def look good.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Looks like the real thing to me... I think people interpreted your original description as the entire atomizer head being dark grey, but the pics def look good.
    Thank you! Yes I realize that, my apologies. I think I also misunderstood when people said the atomizer is all black that it meant the tip was black as well and anything other than black meant fake.

It's been close to 4 hours now and it is still definitely rocking along pretty good on my skin.

I feel stupid now for ordering a second bottle from fragrancex.com this morning. Oh well, it's a great frag so it won't go to waste lol.

Once you get a little more air in your bottle the alcohol kick will go away.

As others have mentioned, your bottle looks exactly like my bottle, which I purchased from the Dior boutique. At the end of the day, the nose knows -- if you're unhappy with how it smells, return it and get a refund.

Let the bottle get to room temperature first and then retry.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Pure Distance M
    Creed Royal Oud
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    MDCI Chypre Palatin
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Ronia J Oud Assam
    Goti Smoke Essenze

Thanks again guys for all your help. I think what happened is I've been researching the vintage version on youtube and the openings between the vintage and the reform are quite different. The opening on the reform is very pear like I find but the dry down is very similar to what the reviewers talk about. I just expected it to be a thick cocoa scent from initial spray which was wrong of me! I realize you have to wait for the dry down now.

That along with the bottle confirms to me it's original

Your sprayer is black!

Not the greatest quality of pictures, but I am guessing its fine? Never noticed any alcohol though on initial sprays. Also my juice projects massively (Jan 2013).

Okam a bit confused now...

I smell iris / lipsticky smell in the opening and something vanilla, soapy, powdery middle and finally the great dark chocolate in the end mixed with other things!

Mine is a dec 2013 bottle bought at full retail.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Your sprayer is black!

Not the greatest quality of pictures, but I am guessing its fine? Never noticed any alcohol though on initial sprays. Also my juice projects massively (Jan 2013).
    It's not really alcoholy any more. One poster said let it reach room temp which honestly really did help. The opening comes off as very pear like to me now.

I love the smell and the powdery cocoa dry down but I thought it would be stronger than it is (I have reform, heard this is not as strong as vintage)

For comparison my La Nuit de L'homme in my opinion is wayyy more powerful than DHI. I have to be super light ont he trigger with that stuff or it'll choke me the F out and become super cloying.

This stuff seems wayyyy too soft to ever get overpowering.

I ordered a second bottle from fragrancex.com on thursday. I cannot wait to try it and compare it to see if they smell the same.

I ordered a second bottle from fragrancex.com on thursday. I cannot wait to try it and compare it to see if they smell the same.
    They will smell the same if they are the 2013 batch. I have the 3T01(June 2013) and 3X01 (Oct 2013) and they are identical.

Totally agree with it not being as powerful as others make out, maybe its the cold weather. I did 6 sprays this morning.. yes 6 and I hardly smell it on me now.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 22nd February 2014 at 05:52 PM.

I definitely anticipate them smelling identical. It's more just conformation to me that first bottle is 100 percent authentic. I'm 90 percent sure at this point. I can detect all the notes that people speak of in the reform. My only concern is it's not as strong as I thought it would be. Like you just said, I sprayed 4 sprays yesterday of this on me at 11 am and by 3 pm I could barely smell it any more. 4 sprays for me is a lot. Usually I don't go over 3 max with most of my juices.

The potency and longevity is a little underwhelming to me but the smell is fantastic. YSL La Nuit de L'homme lasts forever on me and is soo strong. But then again I rarely wear it cause of that fact. It can give me headaches at times so maybe its a good thing DHI isn't like that.

Basenotes Junkie

WTF! FragranceX is selling DHI for $122 for the 3.4 oz and $92 for tbe 1.7oz. Ridiculous! Waaaay to expensive.

It's less in most cases to what they are going for on ebay and where I'm at, we don't have any specialty boutiques for fragrances so I'm severely limited in what I can buy and where.

The first bottle I purchased was from an ebayer who lived in Bulgaria and I only paid 50 bucks but part of me is concerned it's a fake. At least with the fragx I get in the mail, I'll know one way or another. If it is the real deal the first bottle.

I'll just resell it on ebay for 100 bucks. I'll have no problem getting it cause that's what they're going for.

It's less in most cases to what they are going for on ebay and where I'm at, we don't have any specialty boutiques for fragrances so I'm severely limited in what I can buy and where.

The first bottle I purchased was from an ebayer who lived in Bulgaria and I only paid 50 bucks but part of me is concerned it's a fake. At least with the fragx I get in the mail, I'll know one way or another. If it is the real deal the first bottle.

I'll just resell it on ebay for 100 bucks. I'll have no problem getting it cause that's what they're going for.
    have you considered scentedmonkey? much cheaper there.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    have you considered scentedmonkey? much cheaper there.
    Do they ship to Canada? I really like fragx's free duty free shipping. They're super fast too.

45 dollars shipping for a little bottle of cologne........ yikes.
    Last edited by Sheppy99; 22nd February 2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    WTF! FragranceX is selling DHI for $122 for the 3.4 oz and $92 for tbe 1.7oz. Ridiculous! Waaaay to expensive.
    How are you getting $122? Its less than $80 shipped.
    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    How are you getting $122? Its less than $80 shipped.
    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html
    Huh? That link shows $122 for the 100ml. How are you getting $80 shipped?

I like fragx cause its the least amount of hassle as far as shipping goes. Any site that I find a frag a little cheaper always wants an insane amount of money for shipping to canada.

Fragx, as long as you're over 69 bucks and use FREE69, the final checkout price is all u pay with no additional shipping charges. I also don't have to worry about customs fees when it gets to my door. Some of the other sites I've paid like 20 additional dollars for shipping and then got hit with more charges when it got here. Wasn't worth it.

So I'm really weary about using any other american site other than fragx when shipping to canada.

http://fragrancebuy.ca/ this looks promising though. Not a huge selection but they do have some frags I want someday at a great price. VIW at 140 bucks, thats not bad at all.

Basenotes Junkie

I completely understand. If you are comfortable buying from FragX, then by all means buy from FragX. Sometimes the xtra $ is definitly worth the peice of mind of knowing what you are getting. DHI is a great fragrance, at any price imo!

Jhericus, your link is where i'm getting $122? Or am i going crazy?
    Last edited by timmy-j; 22nd February 2014 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Huh? That link shows $122 for the 100ml. How are you getting $80 shipped?
    Sorry, my bad. Its giving me instead of $.

To all the people that have the reform. Been testing it out some more today.

My question is regarding the opening. Am I crazy or am I smelling a distinct fruity pear like opening? Does anyone else get this? I've heard people say iris opening but I'm not sure what iris smells like. This smells kind of pear like to me.