Code of Conduct

Smile I started on a "find a signature scent" journey about 2 years ago..

Givenchy PI was my gateway drug and I was looking for something a little higher end. After trying so many colognes such as Creed, Amouage, Tom Ford, etc... my plan has back fired. I have found so many that I love that I can not stick with just one. Anyone else share this "problem" ?

Default Re: I started on a "find a signature scent" journey about 2 years ago..

Personally don't see that as a problem. I see that as a boon. You have opened yourself to a greater variety and olfactory experience. Your appreciation of wonderful fragrances has just expanded. Good for you!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Yes. One day, I ran out of the one bottle that I had (never owned more than one at a time at that point). I was going to just replace it with another of the same (Hugo Element). But, at the last minute, I figured I would give something else a try. That wasn't very long ago. Now I have nearly 180 full bottles, and around 500 samples in my collection. I did wind up replacing the Hugo Element - but it's sure not my signature scent. I don't have one.

Welcome to the club!

Greetings Demond! I'm willing to bet that many of us found basenotes because we were searching for a signature scent, and along the way, we did the same thing you did... ending up with so many samples and bottles that it became impossible to wear anything often enough for it to become a signature.

It's great fun, eh?

I started with Curve. I'd been wearing it for years and I'd received so many compliments on it... but I foolishly assumed that if a cheapie like Curve got me a ton of compliments, a "better" scent would get me even more compliments. I started with Gucci Pour Homme II, Aventus, John Varvatos, Fahrenheit... and I realized my approach was all wrong. There is no such thing as better. All that matters is what I enjoy and what others enjoy me. I also learned that price isn't an indicator of how much I'll enjoy a scent, and it definitely isn't an indicator of the amount of compliments I'll get when wearing it! One of my most complimented scents only cost $7! It's the excellent Choco Musk by Al Rehab.

So, instead of looking for the one scent I'd wear all the time, I built a collection of scents for different times and places. The variety makes me happy.

I still wear Curve. And I still get compliments when I do. That sucker is so amazingly versatile.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 20th February 2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Anybody have a sample of Martin Margiela Untitled or Untitled L'Eau? I'm dying to smell these and I've got lots of great niche samples to swap!

"Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I don't think anyone should have a signature scent because that would require you to only have one fragrance that you wear and that's just not possible for most people. I like some fragrances more than others in my collection but each one has its place and time and there's no signature fragrance for me.

Basenotes Junkie

The fragrance industry probally loathes the idea of anyone resigning themsleves to having one signature fragrance. No doubt theyd love the customer loyalty but theyd rather encourage you to keep on buying more and more...

Personally I feel when you get to a certain age or if you have a life partner a signature scent is a practical and very good idea, its like your trademark that you are recognised by, although I do generally think having 2 or 3 fragrances on the go is a much better idea to mix things up a little, and it also allows you to test others while your running out of one and potentially changing one of them when its finished if you fancy a change and find something else that you love.

I dont see why anyone needs more than 3 fragrances to be honest, if you choose wisely in terms of versatility and your lifestyle its all you ever need.

Yeah your not alone, I don't have any one "signature" scent. But I would say that I have about 6 scents that I wear much more than my others and are kind of my "go to" frags.
    Currently wearing: I am King by Sean John

A great thing about having multiple fragrances in rotation is that you don't go through the ones you love so fast.
    It's also fun to wear according to your mood and or the season. I liken it to going on an adventure. Nobody has to
    have a gazillion bottles (well some here do ) but having a few or more makes wearing them more fun.

Dependent

I have been growing my collection for almost two years. I have 65 in my collection. One of the things I really enjoy about having many different scents is if I neglect one for a few months when I wear it again it's like discovering it all over again. My nose forgets what was so awesome about and I get to appreciate it again.
    Currently wearing: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Basenotes Junkie

65 would drive me insane... id never be able to decide what to choose!

I just think the idea if you have a partner or as you get middle age and above of being able to be recognised by a specific scent it a wonderul idea, and also romantic in terms of a partner, but i do see it as inpractical, i mean seriously id even be happy to say upto 4 scents, but more than that is just uneccesary. Winterscent tends to double up as your night out scent, if you throw in a couple of versatiles that cover most things like a GIt or aventus etc you dont really need anything else, maybe a nice summer one. to me thats being extravagant and keeping it intersting, i guess its hard to explain on a site with hardcore fragrance fanatics lol.

Totally agree with comment one above, of course youll be magically drawn to the very small few out of any large collection, the ones you love the most, the ones you findmost practical that you grow to rely on and love, that proves my point, large numbers arent needed unless your a die hard.

I currently have 2 excellent fragrances and id see that upto 3 or 4 but at that point id just stop right there. Im not saying i wouldnt sample other stuff, because in the future i may want to swap one out for something else i find.
    Last edited by DMA; 20th February 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Right now I've decided against blind buys. Instead I've stocked backup bottles for the ones I really like in fear of them getting discontinued, or worse yet, reformulated. It would be nice to cut back on some bottles and tighten up the collection to about 15 bottles.

Choosing from a larger number is fun.

Basenotes Junkie

i think id find it tedious, plus i wouldnt want to send off a different signal every day it would be to confusing. everyone recognises people by there scent, you can mix it up a bit and people will find attractive when you wear soemthing else they dont reocgnise, like when you buy something new and they notice and like it, but at what point does that become confusing? quite easily i would imagine.

I used to be and still kind of am a typical guy, i used to buy one bottle, when it completley finished id go and buy something else. thered be usually one person a work recognise and say you smell nice today, and thats fine, but if your wearing something different every day for as long as peopel no you or what feels like it to them i think your just going to confuse them. a spring scent, a summer scent, a fall scent, a winter scent, a night out scent, a work scent, i mean thats about it really for me at most, otherwise id begin to feel schizophrenic as im sure those around would too.

hmmmm, I started checking for a signature scent I would like to wear everyday but along the way acquired a lot of favorites and become more precise on what I like; my current rotation are my loved AG line: mandragore pourpre, ninfeo mio, eau d sud and TDC sublime balkiss.

I started out the same way, wearing a couple of tried and true fragrances (Yes Curve! LOL!). Now my general plan is to find about 6 good "office scents in a rotation. Having established those, I'll then start sampling to find fragrances for MY pleasure. These will be day off, out and about or date night fragrances. I have also started delving into essential oils, precious oils and such both for education and for entertainment. And yes, I do dabble in layering of fragrances. It's all great fun and THAT is what this "Perfume Thang" is about to me.

I absolutely agree with your thoughts! I've been looking for a signature scent for the past 35 years and only keep collecting more! If you enjoy it and can afford it, then keep on searching! The whole journey is what makes it fun!

Basenotes Plus

My initial reason for venturing into niche was that i was looking for something that would last longer than a few hours!! I have always enjoyed fragrances and have always owned at least 5 bottles at a time. I have spent quite a bit of money on buying full bottles just to realize that I love to have more than just a few. I have since decided to only buy decants and I have not looked back. I dont think that I will ever buy a full bottle again as I have not even come close to using up any of my 20 ml decants!!! I cannot wear the same scent more than 2 days in a row or I will become desensitized to it. This is another reason why I MUST own more than just a few bottles. Enjoy the journey!!
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Greetings Demond! I'm willing to bet that many of us found basenotes because we were searching for a signature scent, and along the way, we did the same thing you did...
    Yeah, this is my experience too.

If you really want to try and keep the number of bottles down, its clear to me that some light fresh scents just dont seem to lift from the skin in cold weather, and conversely some heavy frags like most orientals are overwhelming and project too much in hot weather. So that's at least two bottles.

Then maybe you want something lighthearted and fun, and something more formal. So that's four bottles.

You could leave it there, or you could get two or three choices of each. So you're then up to somewhere between eight and twelve bottles.

Before you know it, you've got a collection!

Think of fragrance as something you wear. Do you have a signature tie, a signature shirt or a signature pullover? So why would you have a signature fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Think of fragrance as something you wear. Do you have a signature tie, a signature shirt or a signature pullover? So why would you have a signature fragrance?
    Couldn't of said it better. I'm starting to realize that fragrances are in a sense olfactory clothing.

Another one ..Bitten by the bug! Another one bites the dust....lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Junkie

It is difficult to just have one scent, as it does get boring after awhile and some frags are better for different moods/situations. I'm happy with my current rotation and suits my needs.

Spring/Summer: Creed SMW/MI & Dior Homme
    Fall/Winter: Creed Aventus & Dior Homme Intense

But don't rule out changing up my selection if I do find something I like better in the future.
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally don't see that as a problem. I see that as a boon. You have opened yourself to a greater variety and olfactory experience. Your appreciation of wonderful fragrances has just expanded. Good for you!
    +1. Why just have one?

A signature scent, while nice in concept, would be boring.
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

You'd been in the wrong place if you could get along with just one lol. Welcome to club. Its maddening lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Don't have a signature scent, and hope I never find one..
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

I think that if I had a signature it would be the most horrible infliction of the worst kind of tedium on those around me. I wouldn't enjoy it either.