Code of Conduct

Default SHOWER GELS with some staying power?

Getting low on my favorite shower gel, CDG Man 2, but would like to try something else. Some days I don't feel like doing the cologne thing, and prefer a decent shower product. Previously had Moulton Brown Black Peppercorn, which was nice as well. Others gels I tried were Guerlain Vetiver, Frédéric Malle Bigarade, and Encre Noire shower gels. All were fine, but dissipated scent-wise pretty quickly. People seem to like L’Occitane’s Vetyver and Cade on this site, and will check them out.

Has anyone had experience with these other shower gels?
    1. Tom Daxon Bath and Body Salvia Sclarea or Resin Sacra
    2. Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir
    3. Yuba River Trail or Siskiyou Body Wash by Juniper Ridge

Not really into a lot of mainstream scents - open to suggestions. Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: SHOWER GELS with some staying power?

Hi!
    We'll move this to Men's Grooming.
    Thanks!

Just about every designer shower gel I've tried has staying power if applied in the manner that most women are taught - which Sales Assistants told me about long before I joined Basenotes.

Basically, just before the end of the shower, get out of the stream, apply a small amount to a sponge or plastic mesh applicator, apply all over, turn water in shower from hot to warm, jump back under and rinse the lather off quickly. The scent gets trapped in skin pores and comes out slowly, more quickly with perspiration.

It's not something I do much personally, more often I do it just for amusement - but it does work.
    Regards,
    Renato

The only one I ever had the desire to use was M7. I got it in a gift set a long time ago. I still have it. Surprisingly has some longevity to it!

The Le Labo , l'Artisan Parfumeur & Editions de Parfums project for a good 3-4 hours. Perfect for before bed shower.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

From your list I own Siskiyou shower gel and it's VERY strong and tenacious. You have to like that raw, torn-branch, forest smell because it definitely sticks around after the shower.

A great strongly scented shower gel is Aramis. Leather notes in a hot shower is a nice combination.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

the Azzarro Chrome stuff seems to have some staying power and, though it's hard to find in America the Lynx Instinct - I kid you not - nice and spicy- leathery a little "tar-like" too goes well with any scents that are heavy on those notes

Oh and I realize those are probably not of the quality you are looking for I just thought I would off some low cost alternatives.
    Last edited by Katana; 21st February 2014 at 05:40 PM.

I don't use showergels much, but usually I use shower oils mixed with perfumed oil (I know, I'm probably the only one). Oils can be very persistent. For instance, some of the Le Labo, especially patchouli and oud. I have not tried the shower gel formulation, but I think they use the same perfumed base for all products, so they could be ok, if pricey.

I don't get much longevity from showergels - I have and sometimes use Vetiver extraordinaire too, a blast of freshness, but as you say it doesn't last. Two that last a bit more than others on me (but not like oils) are Lush Flying fox (which is the same scent as Lust, a big tuberose), and Diptyque Ombre dans l'eau (green blast).

cacio

Thanks guys - appreciate the response. Leaning toward Diptyque Ombre dans L’Eau Shower Gel (since I like the fragrance a lot) and the Siskiyou one. Would be nice to save some dough, though, and will check out Lush's gels. Lynx Instinct seems to be discontinued over here. Others I'm considering are Le Labo Santal and Bois d’Orage by Frederic Malle. Also curious about the Kyoku line, especially the Earth one (hinoki) I spied on the Barneys website. Nice they don't charge for domestic shipping with no minimum (already bought an Aesop Deodorant from them because I remember liking its vetiver scent a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    From your list I own Siskiyou shower gel and it's VERY strong and tenacious. You have to like that raw, torn-branch, forest smell because it definitely sticks around.
    Nice description - sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I don't use showergels much, but usually I use shower oils mixed with perfumed oil (I know, I'm probably the only one). Oils can be very persistent. For instance, some of the Le Labo, especially patchouli and oud. I have not tried the shower gel formulation, but I think they use the same perfumed base for all products, so they could be ok, if pricey.

I don't get much longevity from showergels - I have and sometimes use Vetiver extraordinaire too, a blast of freshness, but as you say it doesn't last. Two that last a bit more than others on me (but not like oils) are Lush Flying fox (which is the same scent as Lust, a big tuberose), and Diptyque Ombre dans l'eau (green blast).

cacio
    I've done that - put some essential/scented oils like Patchouli or Frankincense etc in unscented after shower oils - it's very nice indeed

Most (fragrance) matching scented shower gels that lasted on me were the ones by Yves Rocher (both the ones scented like the male and the female fragrances by this house). Reasonably lasting, good skin care and cleansing effect too, comparatively affordable.

YR's Ambre Noir sounds like a possibility - good to have an affordable option too. Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

I did notice that you can get Le Labo Rose 31 shower gel on eBay, in mini travel sizes. I am pretty sure that there's a hotel chain that gives customers this in their restrooms and people sell them on eBay. I am going to buy some for myself - I love that scent & I've never worn any of the body products. You might check those out. They have also soap & body lotion
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've seen the Le Labo Rose bath products here at the Fairmont. They're quite nice, and to me better than the perfume, they feel woodier and deeper.

I don't know how much they go for, but I suspect it's still cheaper to get the regular bottle.

cacio

Get the shower gel and body lotion in the scent you want if possible. Applying the body lotion after you've dried yourself off will really help longevity and sillage.

Basenotes Member

AdP Oud has remarkable staying power for a shower gel!

Coco by Chanel and L'occitane's Almond Oil. They really have fantastic staying power!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Get the shower gel and body lotion in the scent you want if possible.
    This would be my recommendation also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I used many shower gels but majority of them always leave my skin dry. I found this brand for men called Axiom for Men and it works great for me. It removes all the contaminant and excess oils from my skin without drying it out which is nice. I would recommend for you guys should try it.