Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I am 28, is Terre d'Hermes too old for me?

Hi everyone, I am new to fragrance world, so not too sure about which fragrance suits me the best. Please give me some advice and your thoughts.

So far, I have Prada Luna Rossa and Terre d'Hermes , I love Terre d'Hermes much more, however, some of my mates told me that Terre d'Hermes is for mature, successful guys, not for someone who is quite young.

Do you guys agree with it?

Also, any fragrance recommendations for under 30 year old guys?

Kind Regards

Default Re: I am 28, is Terre d'Hermes too old for me?

terre d'hermes is a casual scent, it can be worn by adults on his 20s

Terre d'Hermes, if you like it, wear it!

Terre D'Hermes is fine for you. Enjoy it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Like others have mentioned, it is very versatile - it can be worn by all age groups.

I don't think it's too old for you... not at all. If you like it, just ignore what your friend said.

Hell, people live whole lives by the time they're 28.

Try Encre Noire instead. Terre d'Hermes is thoroughly boring. If it hasn't been reformulated again Bel Ami is a lot better than both. I wore it at 20.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st February 2014 at 03:48 PM.

Blog Entries

I think you'll be fine with Terre d'Hermes. My friend's son who is in HS wears TdH and it smells good on him.

I have a bottle, I was 26 when I bought it. I don't find myself reaching for it often as I found something similar but way better: Anat Fritz Tzora.

Basenotes Plus

28 is way more mature to wear it as TdH is for a younger crowd

Joking aside, it's definitely appropriate for your age.

My advice: Smell it and decide "Is this me? Does it fit my style?" If it does, rock it and enjoy! When in doubt, find a sample and wear it for a few days. For me, three days is usually enough to tell whether or not a scent fits me, assuming it isn't obviously a yes or a no of course. Here's a sample on sale.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Terre d'hermes is gorgeous. yet funnily enough in contradiction, it's definitely not a scent you can blind buy.

As mentioned above, sample.

Edit : Wait, you own it already ?............
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 21st February 2014 at 07:28 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Basenotes Plus

Not too young at all.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Blog Entries

Yup, OP already mentioned he owns and likes TdH. The point of the thread is this:

Quote Originally Posted by lenovoisgood View Post
    ...however, some of my mates told me that Terre d'Hermes is for mature, successful guys, not for someone who is quite young.

And this:

Also, any fragrance recommendations for under 30 year old guys?

Don't buy into age-specific fragrance chatter...Terre D'Hermes is appropriate even if your 85. Stuff smells flat out great.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

I don't know how old your Terre d'Hermes is.

Basenotes Plus

Hi!
    Moving thread to Male Fragrance.
    Thanks.

Not at all! I think it's a wonderful fragrance for anyone in their mid 20s and above.

TdH is prime-time for a guy in his 20's and 30's. It elevates your wardrobe well above your Axe body spray-wearing buddies, and they fear you will take their women. That's the ulterior motive in trying to get you to stop wearing it.

Seriously, it's great for your age group. Assuming you liked it when you bought it, wear the heck out of it!

No, wear it and enjoy.

I never thought to relate scent to age. In my 20s I liked Caron's Pour un homme

(I mean of course, if you like it, wear it - that should be the only concern!)

I love Terre d'Hermes much more, however, some of my mates told me that Terre d'Hermes is for mature, successful guys, not for someone who is quite young.

That could be a really nice way of them saying "Dude, your cologne sucks!"

Seriously, Terre D'Hermes is one that I received some negative comments/feedback on when I wore it....so it's not exactly "universally liked". It is polarizing, and somewhat different from a lot of scents. So that could be, in all seriousness, a way for them to politely say they don't like it, and to "consider using something else".

If you like it wear it. Not everyone around you will like it but mostly it is well received by others.
    Your certainly not to young for this scent.
    Others to try are maybe Encre Noir.

Dude, you're 28. You're not that young despite what society is trying to tell you. Wear what you like. For all you know you've lived more than half your life already.
    Last edited by Ronin; 22nd February 2014 at 01:07 AM.

I'm a young-looking 29 yr old and I wear it (the EDT). My girlfriend is not a huge fan but I really like the stuff. Great for formal during warm weather and can be worn for work (don't over-do it as its powerful). If you like it wear it, man.

TDH knows no age.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

Sound Scents

No.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I highly recommend it for any age.

Amazing and classy scent. I love wearing it in the fall. But it can be worn anytime.
    If you like it then wear it!!!

Yes, go home and powder your hiney in Johnson's lol. Kidding. Enjoy it! No reason that you can't.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Yes, 28 is not that young. I think it is very wearable by anyone, but if I had to give an age range I'd say 20+

Then again, don't wear it expecting it to be one of those fragrances that everyone around you is going to love.

It's fine. Terre is modern but not trendy. Those kind of advise "this scent is not for your age" is irrelevant, in my point of view.

IMO, with suit and tie, business casual, work-O.K. For casual-no.

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    IMO, with suit and tie, business casual, work-O.K. For casual-no.
    Interesting. When I had a decant I liked to rock it with a sort of outdoorsy casual/urban lumberjack look. Flannel shirts, Redwing boots, etc.

You're pretty much 30, nothing's too old for you.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    You're pretty much 30, nothing's too old for you.
    Right here.

. If You like it... Wear it... I joined Basenotes over 10 years ago and this has never changed... If You like it ... Wear it!!!

No.

Next.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

Looks about right to me.....

Terre d' Hermes does come off as "well polished" and "put together" which for some people can feel too mature or even too "straight". How do you want to feel when you are wearing your fragrance? Doesn't matter how old you are, but if you like it wear it. I think TdH goes really well with a suit and tie, is that you? You might like something that is not as seamless and cold, maybe something more creative in nature but still staying with vetiver/woods possibly trying for Vetiverius by Oliver & Co., Turtle Vetiver Back, Encre Noire, or Cartier Declaration (also designed by JC Ellena); or if you want to go the other way with it and be very ethereal and aloof look for Prada Infusion d' Vetiver or Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Heck just get out there and try some stuff and see what works for you.

you can quote me on this statement "I wouldn't say is age designated but taste(olfactory)designated" ....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Hell, people live whole lives by the time they're 28.

Try Encre Noire instead. Terre d'Hermes is thoroughly boring. If it hasn't been reformulated again Bel Ami is a lot better than both. I wore it at 20.
    Good advice. Can't stand the reform
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Terre d' Hermes does come off as "well polished" and "put together" which for some people can feel too mature or even too "straight".
    I've never heard this term used like this, and I can't, for the life of me, believe that you're using the word that refers to "sexual orientation"....so if you would, please explain the meaning of the term "straight", as used in this context, to me.

I am a 20 year old college nursing student and TdH (edt version) is one of my favorite fragrances. I don't wear it on my casual days or days I have clinicals, but the days I am able to whip out a nice blazer or a tie, you can bet I am wearing TdH!
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

TDH is a very youthful and sophisticated scent and can be worn by all ages. My cousin is 17 and wear TDH .

I don't really think you could make T'erre a signature scent so to me that is a lot of money to pay for a frag you're only going to wear once in a while. That's not to say you absolutely can't have it as a sig scent, just usually its more of a special occasion scent.

I'd echo what a few have already said and go for encre noire. It's very similar and amazing quality and about 30 or 40 bucks less.

Age has nothing to do with it but I do think every scent has a wear ability factor. I do like both scents though.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I've never heard this term used like this, and I can't, for the life of me, believe that you're using the word that refers to "sexual orientation"....so if you would, please explain the meaning of the term "straight", as used in this context, to me.
    Well I guess that is confusing because I don't mean to equate TdH with any sexual orientation. But, straight as I have used it means playing within the rules, following the established guidelines, staying on the straight and narrow path, etc. A "straight arrow." That is what I mean by "straight" and I think of TdH as this kind of fragrance. Maybe this is because it is so popular and became the commonly approved well put together fragrance. It is a victim of its own sucess and is a good choice for a within the boundaries of acceptability type of presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Well I guess that is confusing because I don't mean to equate TdH with any sexual orientation. But, straight as I have used it means playing within the rules, following the established guidelines, staying on the straight and narrow path, etc. A "straight arrow." That is what I mean by "straight" and I think of TdH as this kind of fragrance. Maybe this is because it is so popular and became the commonly approved well put together fragrance. It is a victim of its own sucess and is a good choice for a within the boundaries of acceptability type of presentation.
    Oh like too safe, not pushing the boundaries..... Yea I can kind of see that. It's kind of a linear scent to me too.

Thanks for that clarification, Buzzlepuff.

"Straight as an arrow".....no nonsense, "straight forward"...I get it. I'm somewhat embarrassed that I didn't pick up on that immediately, but it makes perfect sense. I guess maybe the quotes ("...") threw me off or something (?) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    Oh like too safe, not pushing the boundaries..... Yea I can kind of see that. It's kind of a linear scent to me too.
    Yeah, I was thinking perhaps he meant "linear" by it as well....that's one of the things I was thinking could have been meant....because you're right, it is a fairly linear scent.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    I don't really think you could make T'erre a signature scent so to me that is a lot of money to pay for a frag you're only going to wear once in a while. That's not to say you absolutely can't have it as a sig scent, just usually its more of a special occasion scent.
    I find this kind of thinking quite interesting... To me, Terre d'Hermès is one of the most versatile fragrances on the market and is extremely easy to wear at any occasion year-round casual, formal and everywhere in-between. I never made the connection that some have here with it being used solely for special occasions or situations. I also find it equally interesting to see the Encre Noire alternate recommendations. I love and own Encre Noire too, but ironically I rarely wear it due to it being a special situation fragrance for *me*. Quite interesting how different people can view two compositions completely differently. That said, both are great, I just prefer Terre d'Hermès.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Terre d'Hermes is disgusting no matter how old you are. It's universal in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Terre d'Hermes is disgusting no matter how old you are. It's universal in that sense.

Banned

this is one fragrance I cant stand

Heck, I'm 63 and Terre d'Hermes is too old for me.

Not at all. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Looks about right to me.....

Clement Sibony (French actor) was born in 1976 and first appeared for Hermes in about 2010. So it might be best to leave it a couple of years yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Clement Sibony (French actor) was born in 1976 and first appeared for Hermes in about 2010. So it might be best to leave it a couple of years yet.
    LOL!

I'm recommending hoarding of classic pre-EU frags anyway. Store up some Terre d'Hermes and then no need to buy Air d'Hermes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't find it old per se but very formal. Its also very linear and heavy. The vibe it gives off I just don't like, it doesn't fit my character.

At 28 you can get away with basically anything.
    Wear what you like!

It is "old" only if you regard it as such.