Code of Conduct

Default Esential oils and perfumers alcohol

Would someone help me please i mixed my essential oils 30% with 70 % perfumers alcohol
    smells great but does not last
    How long should the mixing process stay before ready to use and should i adjust more oil for stronger scent?
    can anyone help please
    Thank you kindly

Default Re: Esential oils and perfumers alcohol

You might want to re=post this in the DIY Forum where there are many knowledgeable perfumers/members who can give you helpful and useful answers.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - we'll move this to the DIY section.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

As you do not state which Essential Oils you are mixing, nor how long your mixes do last, we cannot really help you. There are a few Essential Oils (like Sandalwood and Patchouli) which will last for weeks on a smelling strip, many oils (Like Rose, or Cedarwood) which last for days on a smelling strip, and many more (like Orange or Lemon) which only last a few hours on smelling strip. Have you studied how long the individual oils you are using last? Have you tried increasing those oils which last longest, in your mix? Do you only use Essential Oils, and if so why? However long you leave your mix to mature, it will not alter the evaporation time. How long your mixture lasts depends on what you put into it.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 22nd February 2014 at 09:53 AM.

David's advice is very good, as per the usual.

A minor point to add is that aging can make a perfume seem stronger, just due to the greater dissipation of the oils in the solution. But this is a minor factor, and David was telling you the major factors to know

A rule of thumb for me, with naturals (which don't vary in strength as drastically as single aromachemicals) and EOs, is to try a 1:1 dilution in Everclear strength ethanol. Then go from there to dilute to your preference.

A 1:1 dilution gives you the basic effect of mixing the oils with alcohol, such as increasing the evaporation pressure or headspace effects.

If you have weaker oils only in your mix, you might find a 1:1 dilution is best. But the average dilution is maybe to 15%. A 25% dilution of essential oils, I think, approximates full perfume strength. these are just general guidelines I have used over the years. Others may disagree.

Once you add single aromachemicals, all bets are off. You have to learn beforehand the proper dilution of the original material to make it usable. Most essential oils (not all, perhaps) you can use neat if you want.

In general you want to let your oils mature for at least a couple weeks. It takes maybe three days to get an initial idea. Then if you want to optimize the smell, maybe a couple months. some perfumes might require six months, depending on the ingredients. More aging is generally better, unless you have oils that will go bad, such as is the case with a high percentage of citrus oils.

Where is DIY section not sure how to get there

I think im on the site

Thank you for your reply
    I had my oils and perfume mixture deformulated into a oil im try a 16 oz jar with 30% oil and 70% perfumers alcohol it still smells very much like a lot of alcohol jar is closed i turn it daily but im tryingto get the longest lasting mixture with max potency
    any suggestions .
    i deformulated it because people stop me at least between 2-12 tims a day on what im wearing
    even a Nose ask me client in Restaurant i manage and im a Flight Attendant passangers also all day long.
    That is the reason I copied it so I can sell it have tons of people waiting for it.

great help
    anymore on what i can do im using a 16oz jar to see how it comes out its been about 4 weeks and smell is awesome but it still smells strongly of alcohol and what mix you recomend.
    i think my deformulation is made with syntetic oils as is every major company theses days so maaybe i need more oil less alcohol

Post Thanks / Like

Read my post above, and answer it please.

Im sorry but im new at mixing alcohol into my oils now if it is chemically or syntheticly copied how much oil
    say 20z oil how much alcohol do i use
    thanks you been informitive i just want it to smell awesome actually the oil smells exactly the way i want it maybe i should not dilute it?
    what are your thoughts on that or minimum dilution
    Dee

I meant 2 oz

It was deformulated into a oil not sure how they did it sorry but smells exact

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean by "Deformulated". Is this fragrance something that you have created yourself, or someone else has created for you? Do you know what ingredients are present in your fragrance?

Default Advice please - posted by Immortality

Hi Grant how are you?
    I have a question please?
    i mixed my own fragrance for years and i found the perfect blend and had it deformulated i guess most deformulations are synthetic
    I then have to add perfumers alcohol in a 16 oz jar how much alcohol and how much oil in oz please ...should i mix.i started with 2- 16oz jars to try it and see the results
    Im new to doing this but have been stoped for the way i smell for years thats why i tried to give this a try.
    How long should it stand for before you can use it.
    its been four weeks i was told 30% oil 70% alcohol it still strong alcohol oder and it does not last the scent ,yet when i put a drop of it on a papertowel it last for days....
    Can you please help Im frustrated as you can imagine!!!
    thank you kindly you sound like the right person to talk to.
    Thanks Dee

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice please - posted by Immortality

Info: Post moved from another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

On 24th February I asked some questions to "Immortality" on a Topic called "Essential Oils and Perfumer's Alcohol", started on 21st February, which would help us to answer her questions. My questions were ignored, and now we find her asking the same on a different thread, and in a different forum, directly to Grant.

I still do not know what "deformulate" means; I still do not know if "Immortality" has compounded the fragrance she talks about herself, or whether someone else has made it for her. Does she know the formulation? These are the questions i asked before, and which were ignored.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Apologies, David - I'll collect them all together.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "Deformulated". Is this fragrance something that you have created yourself, or someone else has created for you? Do you know what ingredients are present in your fragrance?
    Immortality - please try to keep all of your questions on one topic to the same thread - Mr. Ruskin responded and is waiting for your answer before proceeding.