Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oud is for Machos

Can you imagine a girl wearing an oud attar, or an oud-based fragrance? I can't. I think oud is the most masculine, testosterone-filled note in the fragrantic universe. I don't think it should be worn by girls. It is dark, it is heavy, it is potent, sweaty-like and uber-animalic.

Are there oud fragrances marketed exclusively for females? What do you think of them?

Default Re: Oud is for Machos

We don't have to imagine it - a lot of us do

Admittedly, I only 'wear' the stronger ones for the purpose of experiencing them but there are many, many fragrances containing oud worn by many, many women worldwide.

Ayoon Al Maha is my favourite.

Basenotes Junkie

The thought of a dark rich oud on a lovely woman. Yep, works just fine .
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Reminiscence markets its "Oud" as a woman's fragrance but many other houses that don't market their oud scents specifically to women would be absolutely fine being worn on a woman IMO.
    Last edited by hednic; 21st February 2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm currently working on a perfume that contains a few oud-based attars one of which is quite "sour" and animalic. I've included several notes (vetiver/coffee/white grapefruit peel/rose/musc/sandalwood/frankincense/cedar) to mellow out the one particular attar so that the perfume wears more unisex. My girlfriend and a few other ladies (one's that are particularly honestly with me) I've let try the scent have really loved it so far. I do agree oud is pretty masculine, but when restrained by other notes it can be really nice on a woman.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

I's all personal taste, but I personally don't want a woman I'm with smelling like oud, tobacco, civet, castoreum, incense, etc.

I like when women smell soft and sweet (citrus, floral, etc) - that is my definition of "feminine".

Perfume critic Tania Sanchez (a propos of uber masculine Oud Cuir d'Arabie) said that on a man it's a cowboy character, but on a woman it harks back to the deep heavy orientals of the past. And it's true-in past decades, female perfumes were always stronger and heavier, with deep bases and tons of animalics. Even floral ones were full of civet. It's only in the past couple of decades that female perfume slipped into pink syrups or scrubbed-clean white florals.

In the end, though, what one wants to smell on either sex is a matter of preference.

cacio

I smelled Royal Oud on a woman once. She smelled AMAZING.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Not being a macho, nor feminine either.... What would be a decent designer oud based fragrance? Any recommendations? I've already tried Fahrenheit Absolute, and it was not bad, better than "OK" but still it wasn't quite right one to me.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Not being a macho, nor feminine either.... What would be a decent designer oud based fragrance? Any recommendations? I've already tried Fahrenheit Absolute, and it was not bad, better than "OK" but still it wasn't quite right one to me.
    My recommendation for a nice designer oud based fragrance would be Oud Malaki by Chopard or Oud Oriental by S.T. Dupont
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

While I agree to an extent, it is nice to smell something different than VS, Bath & Body Works, Mugler or Chanel in my age group (mid-late 20s.) Everything begins to smell the same...Vanilla/Floral/Citrus in women's perfume gets a little tired. I will say I do love Twilight Woods on my girlfriend, I guess she wears it well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I like when women smell soft and sweet (citrus, floral, etc) - that is my definition of "feminine".
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

Depends on the blend or purity of Aoud (mukhallats/Attars/perfume)but mostly the ones I've tried can be used by either sexes (they might be heedy and very masculine at the top)and ocassionally the bold ones can be had by a special kind of woman as the developmental stages of a particular perfume/oil can tilt unisex , so yeah Subjective but there are those that might be to feminine for me , again subjective
    Last edited by magnus611; 21st February 2014 at 08:08 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

TBH, it's much easier for women to pull of Oud than for men to wear Shalimar.

I don't think I've seen an Oud marketed exclusively for women, but I own and wear Oud Ispahan, Oud Silk Mood, and samples or decants of Leather Oud, Oud Wood, Mona di Orio Oud, and probably a few others. And I've been told I smell good, so thankfully not everyone agrees that Oud is for men only.

Why So Serious?

There's a reason why the Oud + Rose combo was popular for many years
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Yes, TF Noir de Noir is a good example. I find it WAY to feminine for myself but LOVE it on my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    There's a reason why the Oud + Rose combo was popular for many years

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If there is any oud in it all (debatable!) then it is a mere suggestion of the real thing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    If there is any oud in it all (debatable!) then it is a mere suggestion of the real thing imo.
    I'm so surprised by how many people don't seem to smell oud in Royal Oud. I think many are fooled by expecting oud to be paired with amber, patchouli, or something else that can be heavy. I pick up the oud in Royal Oud, loud and clear (in a good way). I detect more oud in Royal Oud than in M7, which I also enjoy.

...come to think of it, I smelled M7 on a woman once too, and she pulled it off quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    TBH, it's much easier for women to pull of Oud than for men to wear Shalimar.
    How interesting an observation given recent threads that have been popping up around here!

Here's a thought: How about women wear what they like and enjoy, and men wear what they like and enjoy.

I introduced a woman to Harrod's Oud Patchouli, and that smelled fantastic on her.

Oud can wear marvelously on a woman. I think it's silly to suggest otherwise.

I'm so surprised by how many people don't seem to smell oud in Royal Oud. I think many are fooled by expecting oud to be paired with amber, patchouli, or something else that can be heavy. I pick up the oud in Royal Oud, loud and clear (in a good way). I detect more oud in Royal Oud than in M7, which I also enjoy.

...come to think of it, I smelled M7 on a woman once too, and she pulled it off quite well.
    I'll take a day away from my oud oils and give it a more analytical sniff!

I think most of my our scents would also smell great on a woman. I don't mind women smelling of incense, wood, leather, etc.

And yes, by oud I mean an oud note or accord. Why does someone always have to pop up on an oud thread saying there is no our in xxxx fragrance. Can we take as a given that most scents discussed will be using a proprietory our note rather than real oud oil?
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 21st February 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Oud smells better on a woman IMO. Red aoud, noir de noir, white aoud are just a few examples of great oud fragrances for women. A woman with a sophisticated oud scent reminds me of a rich chocolate dessert. Very alluring

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Can you imagine a girl wearing an oud attar, or an oud-based fragrance? I can't. I think oud is the most masculine, testosterone-filled note in the fragrantic universe. I don't think it should be worn by girls. It is dark, it is heavy, it is potent, sweaty-like and uber-animalic.

Are there oud fragrances marketed exclusively for females? What do you think of them?
    How many oud frags have you actually smelled? Im guessing not very many by the way you describe it.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    How interesting an observation given recent threads that have been popping up around here!

Here's a thought: How about women wear what they like and enjoy, and men wear what they like and enjoy.
    I was wondering about this also. Someone is back and looking to stir it up.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    How many oud frags have you actually smelled? Im guessing not very many by the way you describe it.
    My thoughts exactly, DPV's comment about oud oils shows a lack of experience with oud oils or at the very least, a belief that all oud oils smell the same. I've read here that there is either the fragrance of oud oil or the fragrance of oud smoke as if there are only two profiles, that is patently false.

The original premise of this Thread displays an utter lack of cultural understanding on the part of the writer (oud is and has been used by men and women in many parts of the world for centuries and many of the current 'westernized' versions are marketed for both genders) and, in my view, a deliberately provocative attempt to ignite some sort of men vs. women drama which the OP seems to have a predilection towards.

Boring.

I retract my earlier 'welcome back Daniel'.

for swap/sale:

They smell a lot better on women. The most animalic fragrances have been the great feminines from the past. Nothing is more provocative on a woman than the great feminine leather chypres oozing with castoreum, civet, costus, various animalic musks, etc. Oud is no different. The more women who wear it the better. Be a hell of a lot better place if they'd get rid of the vanilla and wear oud !

Oh no, always the same well-trodden ineffable gender stereotypes....
    Ermm, what does this portend? ;-)

Probably a punch-up closely followed by a locked thread - hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post

... relevant to the OP, I meant...

AmberOud by Body Shop is mention worthy also ...
    Im not sure if it was exclusively marketed for females but a really good one anyway .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Plus

A girl, no. A woman, of course.

The presence of a synthetic oud note is questionable with some fragrances (it being known there is no real,oud present). I tend to take it as a given that oud mentioned in a fragrance discussion refers to a synthetic and/or real oud presence unless specified.

I think a lot of perfumes are now 'oudy' in profile rather than containing synthetic or real oud.

It's just another note really, like pineapple, and not gender specific.
    Last edited by bigbloke; 22nd February 2014 at 10:24 AM.

Some of the lighter ones are eminently suitable for either sex, a good example being Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois. Personally I'm not keen on the oud-heavy ones myself, with few exceptions.

I know many families, generally of Middle Eastern background, who use oud as a scent either by applying fragrances containing it (real or synthetic) or burning the wood in their homes. This includes women.

My daughter likes oud, she is growing up in environment where she smells it on a daily basis. My wife likes it too (but not every single oud note she comes across) and will wear many of my oud containing perfumes (synthetic or otherwise).

There are also a plethora of attars marketed at women that contain oud.
    Last edited by bigbloke; 22nd February 2014 at 10:25 AM.

Oud is for Nachos

This thread is now about nachos

Carry on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Oud is for Nachos

Carry on.
    LMAO!!!

DUUUUUDE. YOU'RE WEARING THE OUUUUUUD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Perfume critic Tania Sanchez (a propos of uber masculine Oud Cuir d'Arabie) said that on a man it's a cowboy character, but on a woman it harks back to the deep heavy orientals of the past. And it's true-in past decades, female perfumes were always stronger and heavier, with deep bases and tons of animalics. Even floral ones were full of civet. It's only in the past couple of decades that female perfume slipped into pink syrups or scrubbed-clean white florals.

In the end, though, what one wants to smell on either sex is a matter of preference.

cacio
    Great post - very much agreed.

Oud has a sharp aspect which is really the only thing left on the market which recalls the womanly chypres of my youth. Very clear ouds tend to come closer to that in overall style, but the differences between the central oud note and the central chypre note become more apparent. In complex ouds, it resembles a layering of an old-school chypre and an oriental.

Mona's oud really seemed womanly to me.

I can imagine. When it first came out, and Creed gifted it to William and Kate, I wasn't getting it, but eventually I did.

A lot of women toy with it, mixing in various floral Creeds, and I have to say, they're all winning combinations to my nose. All of those Western adornments seem to make it more versatile, but by itself, it's much more mysterious and exotic.

huh, huh, you said nachos, huh, huh.

You are one cool doud.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Oud is for Nachos

Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    A girl, no. A woman, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I retract my earlier 'welcome back Daniel'.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    The original premise of this Thread displays an utter lack of cultural understanding on the part of the writer (oud is and has been used by men and women in many parts of the world for centuries and many of the current 'westernized' versions are marketed for both genders) and, in my view, a deliberately provocative attempt to ignite some sort of men vs. women drama which the OP seems to have a predilection towards.

Boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I was wondering about this also. Someone is back and looking to stir it up.

Every thread from the past & his re-"release" on BN seems to bring out DPV's insecurity with his self (imho) & the threads has just something in them to provoke & obviously bring excellent humor filled replies from other basenoter's (I mean the "eau sauvage + taxi in china" thread he started should be added under a separate category on BN titled - "humor" - it's hilarious or maybe under hall of fame)...

How much ever I want to stay away from his threads, if I see 25+ replies, I have no option but to check the posts - because laughter is the best medicine & the replies we see to his threads do make us laugh (most of the time)...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    Not debatable. There is not.

Many fragrances that are decidedly masculine, smell amazing on women. Therefore, its hard to be a gender label on fragrances. Its all about what a person is willing to wear and if they are comfortable wearing it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Isn't this guy known to be a blatant troll? Not sure why anyone takes him seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My recommendation for a nice designer oud based fragrance would be Oud Malaki by Chopard or Oud Oriental by S.T. Dupont
    Thanks hednic! Will check them out.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

re: Royal Oud...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    When it first came out, and Creed gifted it to William and Kate, I wasn't getting it, but eventually I did.

A lot of women toy with it, mixing in various floral Creeds, and I have to say, they're all winning combinations to my nose. All of those Western adornments seem to make it more versatile, but by itself, it's much more mysterious and exotic.
    If the stuff weren't so expensive, I'd do a ton of experimenting with it. I'm convinced it would smell astoundingly good if paired with something minimal but fruity. I can imagine it with just touch of the orange from Tauer's Orange Star (not sure about the spices from Orange Star though. They'd either mesh marvelously, or it'd be utter cacophony!)

I'm really shocked by how many here on basenotes don't smell the oud in Royal Oud. I always assume they're exaggerating, because if they don't smell it at all... wow. The oud in Royal oud is very dry, but for me, it's loud and clear. On fragrantica, oud is the 3rd most detected note.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Every thread from the past & his re-"release" on BN seems to bring out DPV's insecurity with his self (imho) & the threads has just something in them to provoke
    This too.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I mean the "eau sauvage + taxi in china" thread he started should be added under a separate category on BN titled - "humor" - it's hilarious or maybe under hall of fame)...
    1000000% agreed. That one was one of the two funniest things I've ever read here, with the other being the thread where someone asked if he'd get better projection from perfume if he sprayed his "junk." Wow. But even that wasn't as funny as the Chinese cab thread about wearing so much Eau Sauvage that a cabbie literally stopped the car and got out. AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAA!!!! ...and yet, the OP assumed the driver was prejudiced. That's like saying "I wore ten sprays of perfume to work. I got sent home because they don't like when a man wears a pink shirt." Pink shirt?! "No, dude. You got sent home because you REEK."

There are some oud fragrances that I have a hard time believing any female would like to smell like such as Portrait of a Lady, Rose Nacree du Desert but there are also oud centered fragrances such as Red Aoud, Aoud Flowers, Rose Anonyme that are quite "pretty" in smell and can be pulled off easily regardless of gender

Come to think of it, I think Montale has many oud fragrances that can be worn by female. IMO things like Attar, Aoud Red Flowers, etc are quite feminine smelling
    Last edited by jasonx; 23rd February 2014 at 01:31 AM.

I think I will go make some nachos and order some samples of some things that are very dark, deep, heavy and oud based

I'm thinking oud nachos would be yucky.

We don't have to imagine it - a lot of us do

Admittedly, I only 'wear' the stronger ones for the purpose of experiencing them but there are many, many fragrances containing oud worn by many, many women worldwide.

Ayoon Al Maha is my favourite.
    Ditto here. I wear Montale Red Aoud, Dior Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan, and also Estee Wood Mystique. Habit Rouge EDP and parfum have oud.

The Wood Mystique is marketed as a unisex, but the ads seem to slant toward women. It was launched in the Middle Eastern market.

Perfectly said.
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd February 2014 at 02:13 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I could see a woman wearing 24 Gold or M7 Absolu.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking oud nachos would be yucky.
    But Nacho Libre Oud would be most awesome. The cross-cultural clash of Mexican spices and oud would be nifty. I love the smell of jalapeos, too. Gotta get that into a fragrance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    But Nacho Libre Oud would be most awesome. The cross-cultural clash of Mexican spices and oud would be nifty. I love the smell of jalapeos, too. Gotta get that into a fragrance!!!
    Plus, it makes its own slogan: "This one's mine. It's Not yo' libre oud! Nacho Libre Oud!"
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 23rd February 2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: I'd like to apologize in advance for the previous joke.

Basenotes Junkie

What's next, a man can't wear florals ? That's right, men should never ever wear florals, especially rose fragrances . Like perhaps ...what's that one rose scent? The name escapes me . Penaligans ? Rose boquet ? Was that it? A man shouldn't wear that one right?
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Blog Entries

re: Royal Oud...

If the stuff weren't so expensive, I'd do a ton of experimenting with it. I'm convinced it would smell astoundingly good if paired with something minimal but fruity. I can imagine it with just touch of the orange from Tauer's Orange Star (not sure about the spices from Orange Star though. They'd either mesh marvelously, or it'd be utter cacophony!)

I'm really shocked by how many here on basenotes don't smell the oud in Royal Oud. I always assume they're exaggerating, because if they don't smell it at all... wow. The oud in Royal oud is very dry, but for me, it's loud and clear. On fragrantica, oud is the 3rd most detected note.
    The pairing of bitter orange with Royal Oud-level oud is *exactly* what Kerosene's R'oud Elements is to me! It's RRRREALLY good.

I hear what you say about people not getting the oud in Royal Oud, and I agree totally - it's very obvious to me.

Now - what I'm going to say is heresy, and somewhat accusatory, so I'm going to preface this by saying I mean nobody in particular.

I have smelled real, natural ouds, and they are POWERFUL. They are complete, complex fragrances. In fact, they are very much like many pure essential oils and components, such as gaiac wood, spikenard, patchouli, oakmoss, rose absolute, narcissus absolute, and many others.

Now - when you dilute these things, they become much clearer and seemingly less complex, as minor components fade away into the baseline, and you are left with a few stronger components. Personally, I find it very difficult to tell a highly diluted and "pimped out" natural from a well-done synthetic reconstitution or mimic. I can still tell that a "note" is rose, patch, gaiac, narcissus, etc., and ditto with oud. Some people claim they can tell real from synth, and I think that some of them probably can. But all "weak" ouds are NOT synthetic, nor are they all natural, because we know many excellent and very expensive Western ouds that are *admittedly* synthetic. Not that it makes much difference, because I am pretty sure that the major components of oud, just like the major components of rose, are well-known aromachemicals, and I'm not terribly prejudiced about how the exact same molecules got into the bottle.

So back to what you said - yeah, I believe that there is oud in Royal Oud, and I tend to believe that at least some of it is exactly as advertised - real, farm-raised oud. I'm fairly sensitive to oud in general, actually, so it doesn't take much to make me think it's in something. Real oud - undiluted - is way too much for me. I love the relatively dilute French style. I've worn pure components before, and while it's fun for a while, I tend to find them simply too strong and complex. For me, less is more.

The fragrance which I think typifies "where's the oud?" is the Bond no.9 Signature Perfume. I smell oud or oud aromachemicals - whatever it is - but it is one of the most clear renditions I've ever smelled. That's why I think it's so neat - it really borders on the chypre in its clarity. In contrast to that, one of the richest ouds that still feels extremely French to me is Mona's. Very neat stuff.

OK - better wrap up my oud blasphemy before I'm excommunicated. But there you have it, my fellow Royal Oud heretic!!!

[IMG]http://***********************/instances/400x/21850074.jpg[/IMG]

The reason I say that there is NO oud in Royal Oud is that it does not smell like any oud, from any region of the world, at all. Could the tiniest trace of the real thing be there? Maybe. Could some synthetic oud be in there? Sure. But it still does not smell like oud at all. Others have mentioned that THIS should have been named Spice & Wood, and I truly could not agree more. But for the record, I do have and enjoy both Royal Oud, and Spice & Wood so I'm not here to bash either one.
    Last edited by cwill; 23rd February 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    The reason I say that there is NO oud in Royal Oud is that it does not smell like any oud, from any region of the world, at all. Could the tiniest trace of the real thing be there? Maybe. Could some synthetic oud be in there? Sure. But it still does not smell like oud at all. Others have mentioned that THIS should have been named Spice & Wood, and I truly could not agree more. But for the record, I do have and enjoy both Royal Oud, and Spice & Wood so I'm not here to bash either one.
    The Oud accord is about as prominent as the Royalty accord, to me. It must have some Oud though because every time I go near a Creed counter, the SA's always tell me that I must buy today because RO contains the highest amount of rare/precious Oud ever, and it could be discontinued as early as next week due to the difficulty in attaining the material. I'm not kidding.

Nice fragrance -- the best thing the line has to offer these days -- but it's really just a hum-drum spicy wood thing with a lick of nagarmotha.

But as Red pointed out, if this bore any passing resemblance to real Oud, they'd lose about 95% of their audience quite fast. Hence, spicy wood scent.