Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Oud is for Machos

Can you imagine a girl wearing an oud attar, or an oud-based fragrance? I can't. I think oud is the most masculine, testosterone-filled note in the fragrantic universe. I don't think it should be worn by girls. It is dark, it is heavy, it is potent, sweaty-like and uber-animalic.

Are there oud fragrances marketed exclusively for females? What do you think of them?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Oud is for Machos

We don't have to imagine it - a lot of us do

Admittedly, I only 'wear' the stronger ones for the purpose of experiencing them but there are many, many fragrances containing oud worn by many, many women worldwide.

Ayoon Al Maha is my favourite.

Dependent

The thought of a dark rich oud on a lovely woman. Yep, works just fine .
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Reminiscence markets its "Oud" as a woman's fragrance but many other houses that don't market their oud scents specifically to women would be absolutely fine being worn on a woman IMO.
    Last edited by hednic; 21st February 2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm currently working on a perfume that contains a few oud-based attars one of which is quite "sour" and animalic. I've included several notes (vetiver/coffee/white grapefruit peel/rose/musc/sandalwood/frankincense/cedar) to mellow out the one particular attar so that the perfume wears more unisex. My girlfriend and a few other ladies (one's that are particularly honestly with me) I've let try the scent have really loved it so far. I do agree oud is pretty masculine, but when restrained by other notes it can be really nice on a woman.
    MadHat Scents

Ryk - Now Available (Incense, Woods, Amber) / Skiff ON SALE! - (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy ON SALE! (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

I's all personal taste, but I personally don't want a woman I'm with smelling like oud, tobacco, civet, castoreum, incense, etc.

I like when women smell soft and sweet (citrus, floral, etc) - that is my definition of "feminine".

Perfume critic Tania Sanchez (a propos of uber masculine Oud Cuir d'Arabie) said that on a man it's a cowboy character, but on a woman it harks back to the deep heavy orientals of the past. And it's true-in past decades, female perfumes were always stronger and heavier, with deep bases and tons of animalics. Even floral ones were full of civet. It's only in the past couple of decades that female perfume slipped into pink syrups or scrubbed-clean white florals.

In the end, though, what one wants to smell on either sex is a matter of preference.

cacio

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I smelled Royal Oud on a woman once. She smelled AMAZING.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Not being a macho, nor feminine either.... What would be a decent designer oud based fragrance? Any recommendations? I've already tried Fahrenheit Absolute, and it was not bad, better than "OK" but still it wasn't quite right one to me.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 7:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Not being a macho, nor feminine either.... What would be a decent designer oud based fragrance? Any recommendations? I've already tried Fahrenheit Absolute, and it was not bad, better than "OK" but still it wasn't quite right one to me.
    My recommendation for a nice designer oud based fragrance would be Oud Malaki by Chopard or Oud Oriental by S.T. Dupont
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

While I agree to an extent, it is nice to smell something different than VS, Bath & Body Works, Mugler or Chanel in my age group (mid-late 20s.) Everything begins to smell the same...Vanilla/Floral/Citrus in women's perfume gets a little tired. I will say I do love Twilight Woods on my girlfriend, I guess she wears it well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I like when women smell soft and sweet (citrus, floral, etc) - that is my definition of "feminine".
    MadHat Scents

Ryk - Now Available (Incense, Woods, Amber) / Skiff ON SALE! - (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy ON SALE! (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Depends on the blend or purity of Aoud (mukhallats/Attars/perfume)but mostly the ones I've tried can be used by either sexes (they might be heedy and very masculine at the top)and ocassionally the bold ones can be had by a special kind of woman as the developmental stages of a particular perfume/oil can tilt unisex , so yeah Subjective but there are those that might be to feminine for me , again subjective
    Last edited by magnus611; 21st February 2014 at 08:08 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

TBH, it's much easier for women to pull of Oud than for men to wear Shalimar.

I don't think I've seen an Oud marketed exclusively for women, but I own and wear Oud Ispahan, Oud Silk Mood, and samples or decants of Leather Oud, Oud Wood, Mona di Orio Oud, and probably a few others. And I've been told I smell good, so thankfully not everyone agrees that Oud is for men only.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

There's a reason why the Oud + Rose combo was popular for many years
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Puredistance Black

Yes, TF Noir de Noir is a good example. I find it WAY to feminine for myself but LOVE it on my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    There's a reason why the Oud + Rose combo was popular for many years
    MadHat Scents

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I smelled Royal Oud on a woman once. She smelled AMAZING.
    If there is any oud in it all (debatable!) then it is a mere suggestion of the real thing imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    If there is any oud in it all (debatable!) then it is a mere suggestion of the real thing imo.
    I'm so surprised by how many people don't seem to smell oud in Royal Oud. I think many are fooled by expecting oud to be paired with amber, patchouli, or something else that can be heavy. I pick up the oud in Royal Oud, loud and clear (in a good way). I detect more oud in Royal Oud than in M7, which I also enjoy.

...come to think of it, I smelled M7 on a woman once too, and she pulled it off quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    TBH, it's much easier for women to pull of Oud than for men to wear Shalimar.
    How interesting an observation given recent threads that have been popping up around here!

Here's a thought: How about women wear what they like and enjoy, and men wear what they like and enjoy.

Blog Entries

I introduced a woman to Harrod's Oud Patchouli, and that smelled fantastic on her.

Oud can wear marvelously on a woman. I think it's silly to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm so surprised by how many people don't seem to smell oud in Royal Oud. I think many are fooled by expecting oud to be paired with amber, patchouli, or something else that can be heavy. I pick up the oud in Royal Oud, loud and clear (in a good way). I detect more oud in Royal Oud than in M7, which I also enjoy.

...come to think of it, I smelled M7 on a woman once too, and she pulled it off quite well.
    I'll take a day away from my oud oils and give it a more analytical sniff!

I think most of my our scents would also smell great on a woman. I don't mind women smelling of incense, wood, leather, etc.

And yes, by oud I mean an oud note or accord. Why does someone always have to pop up on an oud thread saying there is no our in xxxx fragrance. Can we take as a given that most scents discussed will be using a proprietory our note rather than real oud oil?
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 21st February 2014 at 11:52 PM.
    Currently wearing: Sugi by Comme des Garons

Dependent

Oud smells better on a woman IMO. Red aoud, noir de noir, white aoud are just a few examples of great oud fragrances for women. A woman with a sophisticated oud scent reminds me of a rich chocolate dessert. Very alluring

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Can you imagine a girl wearing an oud attar, or an oud-based fragrance? I can't. I think oud is the most masculine, testosterone-filled note in the fragrantic universe. I don't think it should be worn by girls. It is dark, it is heavy, it is potent, sweaty-like and uber-animalic.

Are there oud fragrances marketed exclusively for females? What do you think of them?
    How many oud frags have you actually smelled? Im guessing not very many by the way you describe it.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    How interesting an observation given recent threads that have been popping up around here!

Here's a thought: How about women wear what they like and enjoy, and men wear what they like and enjoy.
    I was wondering about this also. Someone is back and looking to stir it up.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    How many oud frags have you actually smelled? Im guessing not very many by the way you describe it.
    My thoughts exactly, DPV's comment about oud oils shows a lack of experience with oud oils or at the very least, a belief that all oud oils smell the same. I've read here that there is either the fragrance of oud oil or the fragrance of oud smoke as if there are only two profiles, that is patently false.

The original premise of this Thread displays an utter lack of cultural understanding on the part of the writer (oud is and has been used by men and women in many parts of the world for centuries and many of the current 'westernized' versions are marketed for both genders) and, in my view, a deliberately provocative attempt to ignite some sort of men vs. women drama which the OP seems to have a predilection towards.

Boring.

I retract my earlier 'welcome back Daniel'.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post

They smell a lot better on women. The most animalic fragrances have been the great feminines from the past. Nothing is more provocative on a woman than the great feminine leather chypres oozing with castoreum, civet, costus, various animalic musks, etc. Oud is no different. The more women who wear it the better. Be a hell of a lot better place if they'd get rid of the vanilla and wear oud !

Oh no, always the same well-trodden ineffable gender stereotypes....
    Ermm, what does this portend? ;-)
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace