Code of Conduct

Default Tell me I am not the only one

You worked all day. Had a few drinks with your partner. The day has wound down and you are just watching TV or browsing the net, reading...whatever. You have dabbed a few samples on, trying something new. Maybe you have the remnants of fragrance on your clothes from earlier in the day. Maybe you don a sweater that has faint notes of another fragrance. Normally, you are disciplined about sampling and smelling fragrances so as not to contaminate your experience. But, tonight you are just being casual and a bit sloppy. You are sleepy, but nonetheless you swear you are getting the most unbelievable accord...you have never smelled anything like this. It is amazing. But, you know you will never get to the bottom of this. Never smell this again. But, alone in the room, your partner sleeping, you are astounded. You fall asleep...its gone forever.

Default Re: Tell me I am not the only one

Sounds dreamy...

The imagery you have created with your description is very nice indeed!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Guerlainista

I sometimes get unintentional layering effects from residual fragrance on a sweater or jacket mixing with what I'm wearing. The effect is very nice sometimes. I wear a lot of Guerlains, so their drydowns tend to work well with other Guerlains. In fact it's probably fair to say that faded bases of many perfumes will not clash with other scents - sweetening and softening them a bit.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm glad to sayI it doesn't happen to me. don't like mixing scents because I immediately recognize them individually.

Maybe the above Guerlainade scenario world be ok.

for swap/sale:

Love to imagine the situation you conjure!
    It happens to me in the morning in winter, when I tend to wear some overall jjumpers for several days, changing fragrances every day and often sampling on wrists or back of hands. I must admit I love the mingling of basenotes, sometimes I find serendipitous fleeting accords that I wish I could rely on forever!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Yes. Yes.
    And no, I can't seem to recreate it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I must admit I love the mingling of basenotes, sometimes I find serendipitous fleeting accords that I wish I could rely on forever!
    Yes, me too!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

While it happened occasionally in my case too, never managed to fully recreate the better scent notes/accords/stimuli fully and, like in most cases above, it usually happened largely due to unintentional layering combined with certain less familiar olfactory sensations.

You are not the only one.

I've accumulated so many bottles and samples that nothing is off limits. Bath robes, flannel PJ bottoms, curtains, lampshades, sweaters, couch throws, shower curtains, humidifier vents, coffee filters about the home office... not all at once, mind you, but from time to time. I usually keep the florals to the loo, patchouli and balsams work well on lampshades/curtains, creamy woody bases and vanillas on snuggly things, and lavender works great on the humidifier.

Mostly people in the house just go about their business, but on occasion, someone will comment on how well the office smells, or that the incense smells nice.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Nothing like this has happened to me, but I have been driven absolutely mental by something I "think" I got a faint whiff of, it disappears, then I can't remember what It is.

I smelled 300 bottles of perfume once to try and track the scent down. Half way through, I forgot what it smelled like.

Blog Entries

You will think I'm making this up. I have dreamed about perfume. Imagined its perfection in my head. And I think I've found it in Profumum Rosea Mundi. ​It's that good-for me.

I am sure I am not the only oddball but, I really love the faint wisps of scent that drift about in the last stages of a vanishing fragrance. Perhaps it's partly because I am often tired, reflective, maybe sad, maybe not - but in a very unprotected state of mind - like late at night or early in the morning. Whereas a fresh bold fragrance newly applied flashes the perfumers skills in bright colors and often is incompatible with other scents, a fading fragrance has softened and simplified and melds easily with other scents - not just perfume but, the also the ozone and rain after a thunderstorm, the woods, flowers, sweat - even food cooking, bread baking...whatever. I doubt any perfumer considers this when constructing a fragrance but for me it's part of the magic.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

We sometimes experience scent with far more than just our nose
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Oh, this sort of thing drives me crazy.

I absolutely suck at using those tiny paper strips when sampling at a store. I end up spraying my fingers a little too. A few months ago, I was on the train on my way home and I kept noticing that somebody smelled absolutely insanely good. I mean, wow. Really WOW. And then, I realized it was me. Facepalm, right? Yeah. I was smelling the collection of various bits of sprays that had hit my fingers. And really, wow. It smelled so good.

Because I'd sampled many things at multiple stores, and because I had no way of knowing which had hit my fingers and which hadn't, there was no way I could ever hope to figure out what I'd done. My god, I would have been willing to shell out $300+ for whatever I was smelling if it existed in one bottle!!!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by almasinti View Post
    I am sure I am not the only oddball but, I really love the faint wisps of scent that drift about in the last stages of a vanishing fragrance. Perhaps it's partly because I am often tired, reflective, maybe sad, maybe not - but in a very unprotected state of mind - like late at night or early in the morning. Whereas a fresh bold fragrance newly applied flashes the perfumers skills in bright colors and often is incompatible with other scents, a fading fragrance has softened and simplified and melds easily with other scents - not just perfume but, the also the ozone and rain after a thunderstorm, the woods, flowers, sweat - even food cooking, bread baking...whatever. I doubt any perfumer considers this when constructing a fragrance but for me it's part of the magic.
    ohhh if you want that effect, you will love to explore my FAVORITE fragrance house on my signature and compositions by Jean Claude Ellena for hermes; also isabelle doyen for lesnez have wonderful explorations of this aspect in perfumery
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal