Code of Conduct

Thread: Olympic Orchids

Default Olympic Orchids

I recently sampled three scents from this line (Olympic Rainforest, Kyphi and Carolina), and I was impressed with the quality for the price. I've spent most of my perfume budget for the month but I want to sample the line. Help me choose three. Those of you who are familiar with this line, if you had to choose three of their scents to sample (other than the ones I have listed), what would they be? Any comments on the company, the perfumes in general, or your favorite scent of theirs are welcome.

Also - Out of the ones I sampled, Olympic Rainforest was my favorite, and full bottle worthy. In your opinion, how does it compare to other hyper-realistic forest scents like Norne, Wild Hunt etc.
    Last edited by peppermoon; 22nd February 2014 at 01:15 PM.

Default Re: Olympic Orchids

I have to be frank: I tried almost all of them and found them quite bad and genuinely disappointing. Olympic Rainforest doesn't even compare to something like Sonoma Scent Studio's Forest Walk or Norne—it smelled like an industrial product to me, I'm afraid. Anyone who knows me on here knows that I'm a huge supporter of indie perfumery (especially on the best coast), and so I ended up publishing very few comments on this line intentionally. I'd like to see the line do well, and I hope that some come along in the future that are perhaps a little more up my alley, but the ones I tried were not good in the slightest. While I had many issues with them all, the most egregious offense was in the blending as almost all of them were extremely muddy mixes.

For what it's worth, I sampled and wrote reviews of: Arizona, Kingston Ferry, Bay Rum, Olympic Rainforest, Kyphi, Tropic of Capricorn, Olympic Amber, A Midsummer Day's Dream, DEV1: Foreplay, DEV2: The Main Act, DEV3: The Inevitable, and DEV4: Reprise. She may have brought out some new things by now, or perhaps retooled some of the more prominent problems present in these, but I haven't checked back since I'm afraid. With that said, they're very inexpensive, so I'd say give them a test drive if you're curious.
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd February 2014 at 07:24 PM.

Try Ballet Rouges, it's the best of the ones I've tried. I bought a discovery set several months ago, less than$30, and didn't really like the majority of the scents included in the 6 sample set. A review I read about Olympic Amber made me hopeful, but when I tried it, I didn't find it to be wearable. deadidol's assessment is a good one so I'll not add more here.

Thank you for your honest responses. I am new to perfumery (as of about a year) and my nose is not very sophisticated yet. The Orchids scents smell natural to my nose and not synthetic/chemical/industrial, and I don't get a strong alcohol scent; these are the things that I currently associate with lower quality. I am a neophyte at judging the composition of a perfume, so I doubt I would pick up on muddiness. I sort of can see what you mean when it comes to Carolina. In my review (not posted), I noted that it seemed a bit disharmonious. However, it did have nostalgic value for reminding me of a Southern summer in the country. Olympic Rainforest was a lovely fern, fir, dirt, beeswax and mushroom scent on my skin, and it was very nostalgic. I wonder if my opinion about this scent will change as I grow as a perfume enthusiast.

Deadidol, your comment on Norne and Forest Walk has solidified my desire to test those scents and do a side by side comparison. Maybe next month.

Curly11, thank you for your suggestion of Ballet Rouge, I will check it out.

I have tried several of her scents and to be honest, I didn't care for them either. However, I do enjoy one of her scents, called California Chocolate. It's very much and orange/chocolate affair in the arena of the gourmand. Worth a sniff if you like that sort of thing.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Danieq, I actually just made chocolate ganache with orange zest today to dip strawberries in, and I was huffing the bowl and wishing that it could be made into a perfume. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Last edited by peppermoon; 22nd February 2014 at 08:30 PM.

peppermoon, there is a thread in this forum about Sonoma Scent Studio. The title starts with word 'Incredible'. Have you looked at it? You might find it helpful if you haven't checked into it already.

Yes, I have checked it out. I was lucky enough to be able to get in on a small sample pass, so I will be able to test Forest Walk (as well as Velvet Rose and Winter Woods).

I tried several, mostly very natural, artistic/crazy/unwearable, but below average structures, as usually happens with this kind of brands.
    O. Rainforest along with Carolina and Arizona are good conifers but not outstanding.
    A Midsummer Day's Dream (Elektra) is a realistic and interesting fig though, very green.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.