Code of Conduct

Default Reducing down my Niche Sample Wish List (the drier the better)

Can't keep up with all the new niche scents out there and would like to get a few samples. Presently, my 'signature scent' is probably Encre Noire, with Bois d'Ascese, Luxe Patchouli and Eau de Gentiane Blanche running close seconds. Not big on heavier Serge Lutens-type fragrances (or anything sweet or powdery with heavy florals and vanilla). Traditional mens colognes are not quite my thing, but can be fine on other people. Prefer to be able to wash any scent off if I choose to (without scrubbing). Unusual woods, greens, incense, leather or medicinal notes are all mostly fine as long as they're dry. Aalacho #2 is probably on top of my wish list that I've sampled. Need to expand my horizons (and a certain b-day is coming up...).

That said, any deletions to this list that you might've sampled would be most appreciated (that might be too heavy, sweet or powdery for my tastes):

Al Attar - Durra
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Oud Velvet Mood
    SoOud - Hajj Perfum Nektar
    Indult - Reve en Cuir
    L'Antichambre - L'Ombre Cachee
    Masque Milano - Luci Ed Ombre
    PMP Perfumes - Dreckig bleiben
    Puredistance - Black
    UNTITLED - No. 6 by Susanne Lang
    Andrea Maack Perfums - Coal
    BLOOD Concept - Black Series "O"
    CDG - Blu Santal
    Eight and Bob - Eau de Toilette
    Majda Bekkali - Fusion Sacre "Obscur' (Lui)
    Mona di Ora - Cuir "Les Nombres d'Or"
    Oliver & Co. - Resina
    Phaedon - Black Vetiver
    Testa Maura - Mia Murza
    Tiziana Terenzi - Ecstasy
    The Vagabond Prince - Enchanted Forest

Thanks!
    Last edited by Simonxyzz; 22nd February 2014 at 08:11 AM.

Default Re: Reducing down my Niche Sample Wish List (the drier the better)

As far as "heavy, sweet or powdery" goes, I'd be concerned about: Masque's Luci Ed Ombre which is really just a massive tuberose, and I'd be equally cautious of Majda's Fusion Sacre which is tooth-achingly sweet. The Blood Concept one is just garbage, attempting a similar thing to Tuscan Leather (only worse). Unless you're a Duchaufour fan, Enchanted Forest is quite Lutens-ish.

Honestly, this is a bit of an odd line-up. I don't know them all, but it seems that you've selected a few that are perhaps a bit dull, but more interestingly, there are a few here from lines that offer much better scents. With that said, I'm sure it's not an arbitrary list and that you've done your research. The best way to know is to sniff them yourself, after all.

Also, if you're in LA, almost all of these are at Scent Bar. So rather than order samples, why not head over there and spend a couple of hours sniffing around?
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd February 2014 at 08:43 AM.

If you can get a sample: Kerosene - R'oud elements. Very dry.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SoOud - Hajj Perfum Nektar is the only one in the list that comes across heavy to me that I am familiar with.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

Olivier Durbano- Black Tourmaline
    Tauer- L'air du desert Marocain
    Dior- Leather Oud
    Montale- Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Pascal Morabito- Or Black
    CDG- 2 MAN
    Chanel- Sycomore
    Xerjoff- Gao
    Armani Prive- Bois d'Encens

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    The Blood Concept one is just garbage, attempting a similar thing to Tuscan Leather (only worse).
    In a word... yuck.

Thanks for all your input - it does help narrow things down. I did indeed plan on going to Scent Bar to check things out, but always try to reduce my list somewhat before venturing in (though they're very nice and understanding there). Also my nose does give out after a while despite any coffee bean remedy. Hopefully the list is not too terribly arbitrary - I was going by Lucky Scent's own descriptions and the personal reviews on their website (which I know is precarious). Putting the list out there/here is part of my research.

Will probably delete Luci Ed Ombre, Fusion Sacre, Hajj Perfum Nektar and Blood Concept One. I guess I am a fan of sorts of Duchaufour and will therefore still check out The Vagabond Prince/Enchanted Forest (despite lame name). Black Tourmaline and Montale's Aoud Cuir is already on my "Wish to Buy" list. Will add Kerosene's R'oud elements (cool bottle) to the "Try" list, as well as Dior's Leather Oud, Xerjoff's Gao and Morabito's Or Black. Thanks again!

They won't have the Kerosene (that's a MiN exclusive), and they don't sell Dior, but they may have it in their archive so you can at least give it a sniff.

Thanks for the heads up, deadidol. Will have to wait for the next trip to NY to check out Kerosene then. Maybe the Dior Mens Store in BH would carry Leather Oud - Maxfields used to, but haven't been in there in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonxyzz View Post
    Maybe the Dior Mens Store in BH would carry Leather Oud - Maxfields used to, but haven't been in there in a while.
    They don't, sadly. It's only available through Vegas -- which is a pain! But Scent Bar has a mini-archive they're building of vials that includes lots of stuff they don't sell. It gives you a way to at least experience something and compare it with other items. They'll probably have Leather Oud, but if not, you could always head on down the street to Saks and take a sniff of Guerlain's Songe d'un Bois d'Ete.

Too bad - stays in Vegas then! Weird to be so totally exclusive to the point of being invisible. Their loss (financially anyway, I would hope). Seems there'd be a market for their perfumes over here, especially in their own stores. Will jog over to Saks then and check out the competition - Guerlain's Songe d'un Bois d'Ete (appreciate the suggestion).

Al Attar - Durra - Way over priced and only mediocre scent - save your money
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Oud Velvet Mood - This Oud line is over priced for what you get
    SoOud - Hajj Perfum Nektar - Another over priced over hyped line
    Indult - Reve en Cuir - I like this one,but not enough to buy a bottle
    L'Antichambre - L'Ombre Cachee - This one is you should sample
    Masque Milano - Luci Ed Ombre - Don't know
    PMP Perfumes - Dreckig bleiben - Not that great
    Puredistance - Black - M is better
    UNTITLED - No. 6 by Susanne Lang - Don't know
    Andrea Maack Perfums - Coal - Don't know
    BLOOD Concept - Black Series "O" - Didn't care for this line
    CDG - Blu Santal - Designer mediocrity
    Eight and Bob - Eau de Toilette - Joe average scent
    Majda Bekkali - Fusion Sacre "Obscur' (Lui) - Love this one, but it's not dry like you like
    Mona di Ora - Cuir "Les Nombres d'Or" - Outstanding. Definitely Full Bottle Worthy
    Oliver & Co. - Resina = OK at best
    Phaedon - Black Vetiver - This line is average to my nose
    Testa Maura - Mia Murza - Don't know
    Tiziana Terenzi - Ecstasy - Don't know
    The Vagabond Prince - Enchanted Forest - OK at best

You have good taste. Encre Noire, Bois d'Ascese, and Luxe Patchouli are very nice frags. The samples you listed are in the higher price range, so I get a sense your looking for something special.

If I was going to sample my list would go like this, following the theme of your request:

Hard Leather by LM Parfums - This is very special stuff - I personnally think it's the one for you. I would seek a sample, some way some how. Should be available at Osswalds in NY next week. This stuff is going to reach cult statis very rapidly as word spreads.

Black Tourmaline is fantastic but may be too similar to Bois d'Ascese to warrant purchasing a bottle. The Extrait is a very special one and worthy of a birthday gift. Available only directly from Oliver Durbano.
    http://www.olivierdurbano-store.com/...?id_product=45

Grand Cuir by Parfums Retro - http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...rand_Cuir.html

Montechristo by Masque Milano - The type of skank didn't fit my personality, but I consider it a must sample. May be perfect for you.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...techristo.html

Sugi by CDG is a good one - very versatile

Leather Oud is nice, but not special enough for a birthday IMO.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

One to consider deleting, and one to keep on your list:

I didn't think Eight & Bob was anything special, and I definitely didn't think it was worth its price. In my opinion, that scent has one thing going for it - a story which probably isn't even true.

Andrea Maack Perfums - Coal. That's worth sampling even if only for the experience. It smells quite good, but it also literally does smell like coal, strange as that statement may sound. Granted, it's been ages since I've smelled coal, but I grew up in coal country, and that aspect of the smell definitely took me back to my youth. So strange, but compelling too. I enjoyed it so much that I regret giving away the rest of my sample, but I passed it on to another basenoter because I thought it was special stuff that more people needed to try.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Aqua Celestia
    CK One
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

More input - thanks guys! Looks like you've done your homework, Beck. Can cross off quite a few! Also appreciate your suggestions for a few others to check out: LM's Hard Leather, Grand Cuir and Montechristo. Glad you reminded me to try CDG Sugi, too (Monocle Hinoki had previously been my favorite until it leaked throughout my suitcase on a flight to NY). The Black Tourmaline Extrait does indeed sound like a treat, but may have to play the lottery a little more for that one.

Eight and Bob will come off the list - thanks L'Homme Blanc Individuel. Really have me curious about Coal, although some others report on its unexpected sweetness. Will still give it a sniff though when next in the Scent Bar.
    Last edited by Simonxyzz; 24th February 2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: misspelling