Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can women really distinguish expensive cologne?

So before I buy my first expensive cologne (~50 eur), I would like to know, do women really like and compliment expensive colognes? Can they really tell the difference that cologne is expensive? I checked thread about women compliments, and as far as I can tell all the colognes in that thread are expensive.

For example I am cologne beginner, and today I went to perfume store and tried YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, Acqua Di Gio and Allure home sport, but I would never tell the difference between them and some cheap cologne.

I am currently thinking about buying La Nuit but wonder maybe I can just get some similar scent from cheap cologne, or it does not work that way? :P

P.S. I enjoyed both La Nuit and Allure home sport equally. It's mostly for dates, clubs, special events.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can women really distinguish expensive cologne?

It's always hard to know what women will like, plus taste differ. Price doesn't necessarily mean better. Still, sometimes though you get more longevity and a perfume that doesn't fall apart after 5 minutes - often, the top of a perfume smells good, and then after 5 minutes, when the top notes have evaporated, the rest does not.

So if you like La Nuit, you should go ahead. Perfumes can last a long time, so if you think it's really not a big expense per wearing.

cacio

Yes, anyone can smell something is more luxurious - but personal prefences differ.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll get a lot more compliments with designer fragrances. They're more accessible and most of their formulas rely on past successes (flankers) so they're familiar to the nose. The more expensive fragrances are for the trained nose and that would only represent way less than 1% of the population. It's more about appreciating the complexities of the fragrance as opposed to whether it smells good. There's a few stinker's, but 99% of what's released "smells nice or good." With that being said there's also cheap fragrances that smell more like alcohol and last all of 2 hours. Spend the money on a quality designer fragrance that lasts and doesn't smell like moonshine. La Nuit is a quality designer that will last, get compliment's, and will be money well spent.

I don't think the ability to perceive quality of fragrances, let along the individual notes is a matter of gender, but rather an issue of experience. To most women, if the waft is a light and pleasant scent, they are good to go as most don't put much thought into it. I could be wrong.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I think that some women with a sharp nose can definitely tell the difference between a quality scent and and a poorly crafted one on a man's skin. High price doesn't always equate to quality though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

You can get compliments from stick deodorant if it projects enough. I was complimented once while wearing Old Spice Showtime and a friend of mine is frequently complimented on Old Spice Swagger. If you're interested in smelling nice to other people, there's no need to spend the big bucks. I agree with Cacio's comment that longevity is important. Also projection. This excludes perfumistas, of course; they can obviously tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be to buy and wear what you like. Everyone (yes, even women ) has their own taste and preferences. Attempting to figure out what and entire group of people will like is an exercise in futility.

Imo no they cannot but put them in a expensive jewellery store and they sure can tell what is the most expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think that some women with a sharp nose can definitely tell the difference between a quality scent and and a poorly crafted one on a man's skin. High price doesn't always equate to quality though.
    Total agreement. My wife has a great nose - I use her as a test subject. It's remarkable to see what she likes and what she doesn't like. One of her internal metrics for fragrance is "cheap" versus "sophisticated", which actually correlates surprisingly well with real price. She is definitely able to smell the difference between a quick-to-market mass market scent and one using pricier ingredients and more expensive perfumery and development.

Everyone likes different things, but Designer fragrances are more likely to get compliments.

Many Basenoters scoff at things that are worn by 16 year old kids. But the reality is higher cost doesn't mean "better". "Niche" doesn't mean "better". Often, the cost is higher simply because they are not able to take advantage of economies of scale. Often they cannot take advantage of economies of scale because they are not very widely liked. Often they are not very widely liked because they are not that good (to the vast majority of people).

cost <> compliments
    cost <> quality
    cost <> better

The majority of my collection is composed of fragrances that most people would consider "expensive" or even "crazy". I pay that because I like the scent. As far as compliments from females, I don't see a cost correlation - Nautica Voyage and Kenneth Cole Black get more compliments than Armani Privé Myrrh Imperiale or Amouage Jubilation XXV. But Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street and Creed Aventus trump all in terms of grabbing attention...

So, wear what YOU like, and pay what YOU feel comfortable paying. If you think you smell good, chances are others will too.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you guys really confused me

Anyways, gonna buy one expensive, considering that I will wear it only on occasions so it will last me long time (2+ years hopefully).

Considering that spring and summer comming, will I be able to wear La Nuit, because it's supposed to be for winter. And also, will it be fine to wear on sometimes on daytime?

If you want something that smells luxurious, something you cannot wear daily, something that is sensual as hell, and smells amazing - Tom Ford Noir de Noir. TRUST ME, women notice a unique smelling man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smelliott View Post
    ...and a friend of mine is frequently complimented on Old Spice Swagger...
    Just popped in to agree. For such things, it's a good one.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, women can really distinguish expensive cologne, but also can smell traces of trite and cheap stereotypes! And I guess most women and men can do better and smell who is beyond the expensive cologne....
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=estranged;3078374]So before I buy my first expensive cologne (~50 eur), I would like to know, do women really like and compliment expensive colognes? Can they really tell the difference that cologne is expensive? I checked thread about women compliments, and as far as I can tell all the colognes in that thread are expensive.

No comment.
    Absolutely, categorically, no comment.

signed
    Random woman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Yes, women can really distinguish expensive cologne, but also can smell traces of trite and cheap stereotypes! And I guess most women and men can do better and smell who is beyond the expensive cologne....
    Agreed - I would NOT want to be with someone who made judgments about a person based on how expensive their cologne was - there are plenty of things that smell nice in every price range anyway 'Oh s/he's a really nice person, nice looking, kind to animals, and is very honest and loyal BUT I simply can NOT be with someone who wears cheap cologne" oh well too bad - that's THEIR loss - Fortunately there are not too many people out there like that - but, there ARE a few.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    No comment.
    Absolutely, categorically, no comment.
    Ha!!

OP, the answer is that there's zero correlation to what you really seem to be asking (will I get more compliments if I spend more money). Some of the best "niche" (a largely debunked term) can be had these days for under $50, so cost really doesn't factor into it at all. If your main goal is to get compliments, just buy whatever is popular -- Aqcua di Gio or that popular Chanel one or whatever. This is undoubtably a philistine approach, though. The wise move would be to cultivate your own taste and express that. If you happen to personally enjoy the popular chemical aquatic scents, wear them! If you happen to enjoy discount bin Wal-Mart stuff, wear it! If you happen to enjoy a $1000 Roja Dove opulence bomb, wear it! If you find that you personally prefer the most pungent musks on the market, wear them! This way, what you're presenting to a prospective complimentee is your own, unique taste rather than what you're told your taste should be by people whose opinions have no bearing on the situation.

But to further answer your question: Some women like the smell of some fragrances, while some like the smell of other fragrances, some women like the smell of no fragrance at all. Women are very complicated in that you'll find they're quite different from one another -- it's almost as if they're autonomous beings with individual tastes and preferences as opposed to a single collective mass.
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd February 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Agreed - I would NOT want to be with someone who made judgments about a person based on how expensive their cologne was - there are plenty of things that smell nice in every price range anyway 'Oh s/he's a really nice person, nice looking, kind to animals, and is very honest and loyal BUT I simply can NOT be with someone who wears cheap cologne" oh well too bad - that's THEIR loss - Fortunately there are not too many people out there like that - but, there ARE a few.
    I didn't mean it this way, I was asking more if expensive cologne is really much better and distinguishable from cheap one. I don't care if someone wears cheap cologne as long it smells good, and that's the whole point of my question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have smelled niche scents that were not to my liking and could be considered "cheap" in that they are harsh and overbearing. There is absolutely no way to tell how much money was spent on a fragrance. If that is your primary concern and reason for wearing fragrance, it would seem you are barking up the wrong tree. There are issues of self-confidence here. You should only wear what smells good to your nose. The rest will follow naturally. Try to be yourself- not some artificial ideal created by advertisers who want to sell you their products.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Ha!!

OP, the answer is that there's zero correlation to what you really seem to be asking (will I get more compliments if I spend more money). Some of the best "niche" (a largely debunked term) can be had these days for under $50, so cost really doesn't factor into it at all. If your main goal is to get compliments, just buy whatever is popular -- Aqcua di Gio or that popular Chanel one or whatever. This is undoubtably a philistine approach, though. The wise move would be to cultivate your own taste and express that. If you happen to personally enjoy the popular chemical aquatic scents, wear them! If you happen to enjoy discount bin Wal-Mart stuff, wear it! If you happen to enjoy a $1000 Roja Dove opulence bomb, wear it! If you find that you personally prefer the most pungent musks on the market, wear them! This way, what you're presenting to a prospective complimentee is your own, unique taste rather than what you're told your taste should be by people who's opinions have no bearing on the situation.

But to further answer your question: Some women like the smell of some fragrances, while some like the smell of other fragrances, some women like the smell of no fragrance at all. Women are very complicated in that you'll find they're quite different from one another -- it's almost as if they're autonomous beings with individual tastes and preferences as opposed to a single collective mass.
    I know, but since I only have now 2 cheap colognes I have no idea what I want, especially considering how hard is to go to store and distinguish between several (out of hundreds or thousands) colognes on paper stick. I don't have money to buy and try different tastes that's why I just want to buy best possible scent which I can buy. Of course I am not choosing only by popularity, but which one I enjoy as well, for example I don't really like Acqua di gio, at least on a paper stick. That said La Nuit seems like good option
    Last edited by estranged; 22nd February 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estranged View Post
    I didn't mean it this way, I was asking more if expensive cologne is really much better and distinguishable from cheap one. I don't care if someone wears cheap cologne as long it smells good, and that's the whole point of my question
    Oh I know you didn't - and in answer, yes, I think some people can tell cheap from expensive but even they can be fooled sometimes either way if it is a blind "sniff test". Wear what you like, and what significant people in your life like - when they coincide it's a win-win. Some people care naught for what brand or what cost they just like "smell nice" - my g/f is a prime example she likes Adidas Moves as much as she likes Endymion and they are vastly separate creations in price and quality, BUT they both "smell nice" to her, and she DOES know "quality stuff".

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have smelled niche scents that were not to my liking and could be considered "cheap" in that they are harsh and overbearing. There is absolutely no way to tell how much money was spent on a fragrance. If that is your primary concern and reason for wearing fragrance, it would seem you are barking up the wrong tree. There are issues of self-confidence here. You should only wear what smells good to your nose. The rest will follow naturally. Try to be yourself- not some artificial ideal created by advertisers who want to sell you their products.
    Again you misunderstanding me. All I am asking if there is correlation between expensive cologne and how women like it. Check the men's forum thread about women's complements and you can see that pretty much whole top ranked list consists of expensive colognes.

Again you misunderstanding me. All I am asking if there is correlation between expensive cologne and how women like it. Check the men's forum thread about women's complements and you can see that pretty much whole top ranked list consists of expensive colognes.
    That's probably true, but check the WARDROBES of most members here, and you'll see that most of them consist of expensive colognes (rather than any "cheapies"). It's the law of percentages at work.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    That's probably true, but check the WARDROBES of most members here, and you'll see that most of them consist of expensive colognes (rather than any "cheapies"). It's the law of percentages at work.
    Exactly, that's why I am asking

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would say, truthfully, yes, more expensive stuff tends to be better quality, in general. That said- sometimes you can get good deals, but you have to know what to look for. You are just starting out and don't know what to try (I gather). There are no short-cuts. You simply have to try lots of scents- ON YOUR SKIN. Don't be in a hurry. That wastes money. Select carefully.

I know, but since I only have now 2 cheap colognes I have no idea what I want, especially considering how hard is to go to store and distinguish between several (out of hundreds or thousands) colognes on paper stick. I don't have money to buy and try different tastes that's why I just want to buy best possible scent which I can buy.
    This makes perfect sense But really there is a lot of personal discovery involved, too. After all, fragrance, like fashion, is an expression. I'm curious to see if you've tried L'Occitane's Eau des Baux? It's a nice scent that's inexpensive, very well made, relatively safe and likeable, and yet has yet to become a massive mainstream hit. It's cypress and incense over a bed of vanilla, and it might be worth taking a look at if you have access to a L'Occitane store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ha!!

OP, the answer is that there's zero correlation to what you really seem to be asking (will I get more compliments if I spend more money). Some of the best "niche" (a largely debunked term) can be had these days for under $50, so cost really doesn't factor into it at all. If your main goal is to get compliments, just buy whatever is popular -- Aqcua di Gio or that popular Chanel one or whatever. This is undoubtably a philistine approach, though. The wise move would be to cultivate your own taste and express that.

So true. We women are like snowflakes- no two are alike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you're trying to find a partner, the good news is, you only need to find one. So whatever you decide, it doesn't need to appeal to the masses, only one special person need apply.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say, truthfully, yes, more expensive stuff tends to be better quality, in general. That said- sometimes you can get good deals, but you have to know what to look for. You are just starting out and don't know what to try (I gather). There are no short-cuts. You simply have to try lots of scents- ON YOUR SKIN. Don't be in a hurry. That wastes money. Select carefully.
    That's too much work to try on my own skin I would need to go everyday to the store, put 1 cologne on one wrist, and 1 on another, and do that everyday.

This makes perfect sense But really there is a lot of personal discovery involved, too. After all, fragrance, like fashion, is an expression. I'm curious to see if you've tried L'Occitane's Eau des Baux? It's a nice scent that's inexpensive, very well made, relatively safe and likeable, and yet has yet to become a massive mainstream hit. It's cypress and incense over a bed of vanilla, and it might be worth taking a look at if you have access to a L'Occitane store.
    Just checked, and there is no L'Occitane store in my city, and perfume stores do not even have Eau des Baux unfortunately.

If you're trying to find a partner, the good news is, you only need to find one. So whatever you decide, it doesn't need to appeal to the masses, only one special person need apply.
    But the better overall "rating" cologne has, the more chances that partner enjoy it more, right?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hate to think I needed to buy a cologne in order to help me find a woman. No need to spend a lot of money. It's been my experience that women will complement you on damn near anything no matter how bad it is.The fragrance should always be right for you, not for the job.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd February 2014 at 06:13 PM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I'd hate to think I needed to buy a cologne in order to help me find a woman.
    Alright, but I didn't say that's the reason why I am buying cologne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trying perfume is the proper way to insure you are going to enjoy your full bottle purchase.
    I understand there are mail-order brides available for those who aren't choosy.

Post Thanks / Like

So before I buy my first expensive cologne (~50 eur), I would like to know, do women really like and compliment expensive colognes? Can they really tell the difference that cologne is expensive? I checked thread about women compliments, and as far as I can tell all the colognes in that thread are expensive.

For example I am cologne beginner, and today I went to perfume store and tried YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, Acqua Di Gio and Allure home sport, but I would never tell the difference between them and some cheap cologne.

I am currently thinking about buying La Nuit but wonder maybe I can just get some similar scent from cheap cologne, or it does not work that way? :P

P.S. I enjoyed both La Nuit and Allure home sport equally. It's mostly for dates, clubs, special events.
    To answer your question, can women tell? 95 percent of the time no. Because it takes an experienced nose to learn the differences. You even kind of answered the question yourself when you said you're just getting into the game and can't tell the difference right now. As time goes on you'll be able too. When you meet women, they'll more then likely be like you were at the very beginning. "oh that smells nice but I don't know what he's wearing, only that it smells nice"

I'm getting pretty good now to the point I can walk into the club and pick out exactly what I'm smelling. Like oh thats aqua di gio, or paco 1 million.

Expensive colognes usually exceed in longevity and projection and that's what your paying for but that isn't always the case. I've paid a lot for some designer frags that aren't very good and I've also paid little for some reeeeal good juice.

If you're just starting out and like aqua di gio. I'd recommend Perry Ellis red 360 or Paris Hilton Just me. Perry Ellis I'd give the edge too and some even like it better than Aqua di gio. It's cheap by comparison and is a very good clone. both are actually. Paris hilton you can get for like 15 bucks. Just tell people you're wearing aqua di gio. They'd never know lol.

So true. We women are like snowflakes- no two are alike!
    Are you a lady?

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    My suggestion would be to buy and wear what you like. Everyone (yes, even women ) has their own taste and preferences. Attempting to figure out what and entire group of people will like is an exercise in futility.
    +1

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't pay attention to that thread, for Christ's sake

Exactly, that's why I am asking
    Long answer short....what I've noticed, and this is simply what I perceive to be the truth, and I do think the law of percentages will bare this out as well......is that (a majority of) men that frequent these forums and post here....could give a rat's ass less "what women like". I'm not saying or suggesting that they're gay, because many are married with kids or dating women, etc., but if you look at what is popular AMONG THE GUYS here, they are items that really aren't all that popular to women in general.

Case and point....a lot of guys here will recommend Terre D'Hermes and Egoiste, and those are two that I (seriously) had multiple women tell me that they HATE when I wore them. I took Egoiste back and exchanged it for Pure Malt (I was deciding between the two when I bought Egoiste) largely because I wasn't all that crazy about it myself, but I had a good female friend (who has good taste in fragrances and whom I trust) told me that she hated it, and then an hour or so later the woman I was seeing at the time told me that she wasn't going out with me as long as I was "wearing 'that one' ". I see guys suggesting things here all the time that I know women aren't particularly fond of, and the ones that women do tend to like (ones like Prada Luna Rossa, for example) are often times ripped apart here. So I wouldn't look to the guys here for advice when it comes to fragrances "that women like", because they often times show again and again, that they really have no clue.

But the better overall "rating" cologne has, the more chances that partner enjoy it more, right?
    Not exactly. The better an overall rating the fragrance has probably speaks far more to how much of an advertising / distribution budget it had and has absolutely no bearing on projected enjoyment -- and certainly not on quality.

Justin Bieber fragrances (or whatever this month's equivalent teen muppet is) will get tons of press, advertising, and therefore, enthusiastic reviews, whereas something like Masque's Montecristo or Matriarch's Blackbird will get next to none because they're not commercial products in the same sense.

Honestly, the best suggestion is to follow your own nose and try what's available. You'll make mistakes along the way, but that's how you learn to discern. Certainly go after the stuff that gets popular reviews to get a sense of why that is, but it might not map onto your taste. I still sniff AdG or many of the other "popular" scents when I see them thinking that one day something will click, but it never has. Also, scents like Aventus that are genuinely enjoyed by many but are (like everything) subject to runaway hype, might do the job you want them to do, but you might not enjoy them yourself. Then what do you do?
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd February 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

It is very unlikely that wearing the perfect scent will have much bearing on attracting a woman. It is likely that wearing a scent that smells cheap to an individual woman, or just not to her taste, will cause her to avoid you because she will associate you with an unpleasant smell.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd February 2014 at 06:24 PM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy99 View Post
    To answer your question, can women tell? 95 percent of the time no. Because it takes an experienced nose to learn the differences. You even kind of answered the question yourself when you said you're just getting into the game and can't tell the difference right now. As time goes on you'll be able too. When you meet women, they'll more then likely be like you were at the very beginning. "oh that smells nice but I don't know what he's wearing, only that it smells nice"

I'm getting pretty good now to the point I can walk into the club and pick out exactly what I'm smelling. Like oh thats aqua di gio, or paco 1 million.

Expensive colognes usually exceed in longevity and projection and that's what your paying for but that isn't always the case. I've paid a lot for some designer frags that aren't very good and I've also paid little for some reeeeal good juice.

If you're just starting out and like aqua di gio. I'd recommend Perry Ellis red 360 or Paris Hilton Just me. Perry Ellis I'd give the edge too and some even like it better than Aqua di gio. It's cheap by comparison and is a very good clone. both are actually. Paris hilton you can get for like 15 bucks. Just tell people you're wearing aqua di gio. They'd never know lol.
    No I don't really enjoy ADG scent to be honest, but all I have is paper stick, so hard to tell.

Long answer short....what I've noticed, and this is simply what I perceive to be the truth, and I do think the law of percentages will bare this out as well......is that (a majority of) men that frequent these forums and post here....could give a rat's ass less "what women like". I'm not saying or suggesting that they're gay, because many are married with kids or dating women, etc., but if you look at what is popular AMONG THE GUYS here, they are items that really aren't all that popular to women in general.

Case and point....a lot of guys here will recommend Terre D'Hermes and Egoiste, and those are two that I (seriously) had multiple women tell me that they HATE when I wore them. I took Egoiste back and exchanged it for Pure Malt (I was deciding between the two when I bought Egoiste) largely because I wasn't all that crazy about it myself, but I had a good female friend (who has good taste in fragrances and whom I trust) told me that she hated it, and then an hour or so later the woman I was seeing at the time told me that she wasn't going out with me as long as I was "wearing 'that one' ". I see guys suggesting things here all the time that I know women aren't particularly fond of, and the ones that women do tend to like (ones like Prada Luna Rossa, for example) are often times ripped apart here. So I wouldn't look to the guys here for advice when it comes to fragrances "that women like", because they often times show again and again, that they really have no clue.
    Yeah, you are right.

I think this thread goes nowhere, now I don't even know if it's worth paying 50 eur for La Nuit or other expensive cologne, everyone tells different things

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly. The better an overall rating the fragrance has probably speaks far more to how much of an advertising / distribution budget it had and has absolutely no bearing on projected enjoyment -- and certainly not on quality.

Justin Bieber fragrances (or whatever this month's equivalent teen muppet is) will get tons of press, advertising, and therefore, enthusiastic reviews, whereas something like Masque's Montecristo or Matriarch's Blackbird will get next to none because they're not commercial products in the same sense.

Honestly, the best suggestion is to follow your own nose and try what's available. You'll make mistakes along the way, but that's how you learn to discern. Certainly go after the stuff that gets popular reviews to get a sense of why that is, but it might not map onto your taste. I still sniff AdG or many of the other "popular" scents when I see them thinking that one day something will click, but it never has. Also, scents like Aventus that are genuinely enjoyed by many but are (like everything) subject to runaway hype, might do the job you want them to do, but you might not enjoy it yourself. Then what do you do?
    My nose can't even distinguish between 3 different scents correctly But I guess you are right.

I think this thread goes nowhere, now I don't even know if it's worth paying 50 eur for La Nuit or other expensive cologne, everyone tells different things
    Which is why most people will tell you to buy WHAT YOU LIKE. Because a lot of guys really don't know "what women like", often because they aren't ASKING for feedback, but kind of winging it and guessing. And besides, kumquat is right in the sense that women aren't robots, and what might be appealing to 90% of them might repel the other 10% (and the girl you're in to might be part of that 10%)

If you really want to know what women like...ask them. They're not difficult, and they will tell you the truth. I have no problem asking for women's feedback on a cologne if I am interested in it....because they will give you an honest answer. And I'll usually ask as many as possible, to see if there is a consensus. But don't be shy, ask them.....they know better what they like than guys in these forums guessing what they think they like (LOL)

That was the short answer?

Op you can't generalize like this. Some women may prefer an expensive fragrance, while others may prefer Axe. Wear fragrance for yourself, and don't use it as a tool to pick up women.

Post Thanks / Like

No I don't really enjoy ADG scent to be honest, but all I have is paper stick, so hard to tell.
    To be honest, I don't really enjoy ADG that much either. I'm not really a fresh scent guy usually. That's why I bought the clone because I know it'll only get worn a handful of times in the summer which is good enough for me.

I own Le Nuit d'homme and it's honestly too powerful for me and can sometimes be cloying. It's great quality but I don't really reach for it that much. It's more of a date night or clubbing scent I think. So if you're looking for that. It may work well for you.

if you're looking for a signature scent you can wear every day. I think boss bottled or boss #6 is amazingly easy to wear and smells fantastic. It also shouldn't break the bank.

If you like vanilla and tobacco notes, I find versace dreamer is really good quality for the price too. Usually can get it for 20-30 bucks USD/CAD

If you get versace dreamer and say you're wearing versace, honestly most newbies who know nothing about frags will think you paid a lot of money for it anyway because of the name.

I would check those two out though. They're easy to wear great smelling colognes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

Op you can't generalize like this. Some women may prefer an expensive fragrance, while others may prefer Axe. Wear fragrance for yourself, and don't use it as a tool to pick up women.
    Exactly which is why I always say, you should wear something for you and not anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post

Good catch.

OK, as far as brevity goes, you win. I expounded a bit more than was necessary

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sheppy99, thanks, I will check them out!

Exactly which is why I always say, you should wear something for you and not anyone else!
    It's just your opinion So what if I want to wear cologne so women can enjoy it? Is it something wrong with that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can men tell the difference between Hamburger Helper and filet mignon?

Post Thanks / Like

Sheppy99, thanks, I will check them out!

It's just your opinion So what if I want to wear cologne so women can enjoy it? Is it something wrong with that?
    unfortunately women have different tastes so you won't be able to please them all anyway regardless of what you wear. You could wear the biggest hyped most loved fragrance on basenotes and find women that will not like it.

It's just not something I'd be overly concerned with. But hey, each to their own.

Most designer frags will get you compliments because they are made to appeal to the mass market so I think you're safe in most cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, because everyone has their own taste and preferences. On top of that, what smells great on my skin may not work on your skin at all. So again, stop trying to make generalizations about women liking expensive vs. cheap fragrances. Some noses are developed and experienced enough to tell the difference, some aren't. Just figure out which fragrances you like and that work best on your skin and wear them. It's quite simple, really...

Of course not. But it's just not something that everyone here will be interested in.

Wine connoisseurs, for example, don't drink certain wines in order to be viewed by others while drinking them -- they drink them for the innate quality and taste they offer. People who visit art galleries don't figure out which painting they should be seen standing in front of while looking perplexed so that people will view them as "deep." Basenotes is a community of fragrance fanatics who tend to discuss fragrances in a similar manner of appreciation as wine enthusiasts. There's definitely a contingent here who don't care what the stuff smells like at all, rather how many "compliments" it can get them (or worse -- use your imagination), but the majority of BN-ers seem to be somewhere in the middle, leaning far more towards autonomous appreciation/criticism of the scent itself. There are probably better forums on the internet that will give you nefarious tips and tricks of baiting women (although I doubt you'll get much decent insight about fragrances).

Obviously what you're here for is to be told what to buy in order to achieve a certain goal. That's pretty much impossible because nobody here knows you, your environment, or the people you're trying to attract (hopefully not bait). Read the site a little more -- be skeptical of what you see in the infamous "female compliments" thread, and do some research.
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd February 2014 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously what you're here for is to be told what to buy in order to achieve a certain goal. That's pretty much impossible because nobody here know you, your environment, or the people you're trying to attract (hopefully not bait). Read the site a little more -- be skeptical of what you see in the infamous "female compliments" thread, and do some research.
    Precisely!

Post Thanks / Like

well said! +1

Honestly if you're a newbie looking for guidance. Why not go watch a few robes08 videos on youtube where he lists top 20 designer summer/winter frags? That will give you a good starting point anyway and all of them will garner compliments but you cannot please everyone nor will you be able too.

All I'm saying is since it's your money, please yourself first and the compliments that come is just an added bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh god yes!!!

Sorry, just had to respond. I know why you posted this question, and it's a good one, LOL!! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Oh god yes!!!

Sorry, just had to respond. I know why you posted this question, and it's a good one, LOL!! :-)
    Perhaps the question should have been, "Can men tell the difference between prime, choice and select?"

I love me a good filet but, not gonna lie...sometimes Hamburger Helper really hits the spot. lol

I would like to know, do women really like and compliment expensive colognes? Can they really tell the difference that cologne is expensive?
    That's not how it works.

No one cares if you wear something expensive. People enjoy when you wear something that smells good. Just because something costs more, that doesn't mean it will smell better to you or to most other people. It might. And it might not. I get compliments on Interlude Man, which costs $275. I get compliments on Hanae Mori HM, which can be had for $20 on amazon.

I am currently thinking about buying La Nuit but wonder maybe I can just get some similar scent from cheap cologne, or it does not work that way?
    Here's how it works: Find something that smells great to you. Wear it. If you think something isn't worth buying, don't buy it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well said! +1

Honestly if you're a newbie looking for guidance. Why not go watch a few robes08 videos on youtube where he lists top 20 designer summer/winter frags? That will give you a good starting point anyway and all of them will garner compliments but you cannot please everyone nor will you be able too.

All I'm saying is since it's your money, please yourself first and the compliments that come is just an added bonus.
    Good advice. But I get the feeling the OP only wants one magic scent that will make dozens of women flock to him- without his bothering to check it out first. If anyone knows of such a scent, your Swiss bank account must be a joy to behold.

Can the general public tell the difference between a €10 bottle and a €50 bottle? Mostly, yes. Can the general public tell the difference between a €50 bottle and a €250 bottle? Mostly, no.

So replacing these three with "some cheap cologne" probably isn't a good idea. I would say though that most fragrances from well known designer brands can be found for sale with heavy discounts, and so would be cheaper without being "some cheap cologne" - apart from three brands, Chanel, Dior and Armani. So while La Nuit De L'Homme can be found at discounted prices, the other two cannot. Since Acqua di Gio is such a huge seller, its style of fruity aquatic is very popular and you'll find a few from other brands (like Ed Hardy Love and Luck, Givenchy Blue Label, Versace Man Eau Fraiche).

Post Thanks / Like

lmao

Hamburger Helper = Designer
    Filet Mignon = Niche

Joking

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. But I get the feeling the OP only wants one magic scent that will make dozens of women flock to him- without his bothering to check it out first. If anyone knows of such a scent, your Swiss bank account must be a joy to behold.
    hahaha would be great wouldn't it. To my knowledge, anything available that guarantees that kind of success with the ladies generally isn't legal. LOL
    Last edited by Sheppy99; 22nd February 2014 at 07:26 PM.