Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone tried the Jo Malone London Rain collection yet?

Would like to hear opinions.
    Currently wearing: L'Insoumis by Lalique

Default Re: Has anyone tried the Jo Malone London Rain collection yet?

Resurrecting because today I stopped by a local perfumery and sprayed a couple of these on a paper strip. Big surprise at home, which makes me wonder.

I think I remember that I sprayed Rain and angelica on one end, and white jasmine mint on the other. At home, one end of the paperstrip (on which I thought I had sprayed the rain) smelled already very faint acqueous after one hr, in typical Jo Malone style. The other end, on which I though I had the jasmine mint, instead, smelled like a loud, terrifyng flour cake accord. What happened? Did I mistakenly spray something else on the paperstrip?

Now, the perfumer, Christine Nagel, did play a similar trick in the previous series (that of english sweets), where she unleashed a suffocatingly cloying chocolate thing. Nagel is famous for her super-rich, overripe (sometimes nearly rotten) accords (Theorema, Si', as well as my favorite Archives 69). This is not Jo Malone's style - perhaps she restrains herself in 3 of the 4 of the series, but then explodes in the fourth, unleashing all her Ms Jekyll violence. With the difference that while the above are good (well, not sure about Si'), these Malone aren't.

But perhaps in this case it was a mixup on my part. I was wondering if anybody else had tried the London series and found the one I'm talking about.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 30th June 2014 at 05:45 AM.

I tested them briefly on paper strips around 3 months ago. Nothing particularly appealed to me. Don't have any more detailed recollection than that I'm afraid!
    Currently wearing: Love by By Kilian

Unfortunately they're sold out (in the UK) now and stores no longer have testers so I couldn't say. Vague suggestion that the cedar and juniper one may make it back into regular stock (it was the most popular apparently). This last was reportedly the strongest of the series but I don't think cake was ever mentioned. Pom Noir comes over very strong and people who dislike it report mentholated jam, but again no cake.

Thanks! I wonder what went on. If I happen to stop by the store, I'll resmell. They still had pride of place here stateside, so I assume they'll be there for a while.

cacio

My lady friend and I were trying to figure out if the green one, White Jasmine and Mint, is supposed to be the same or different from the White Jasmine and Mint in their regular lineup...I think one JM rep at a dept. store counter said they were different concentrations of the same thing, can't recall which is the stronger version. Beyond that, I can say that the purple Wisteria and Violet was great on her, and I'll have to revisit my TPC vial of the black one, Cedar and Juniper, which has nominally masculine notes but wasn't as masculine as I expected.