Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default When someone asks you what you're wearing....

After a compliment. Do you tell them? Or keep it a secret?

I'm torn. At the same time i don't want everyone to smell like "me" but i also want to spread good words so i never know what to say!

What do you guys do?

Dependent

Default Re: When someone asks you what you're wearing....

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't trying to wear the same scent you are.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

It depends what you're wearing if it's a designer easily obtained at Macy's etc, then maybe you run in the issue of someone getting your same scent but like me when asked what I'm wearing let's say I'm wearing on that particular event Roja dove Aoud , and then they go : where can I get it, I tell them bergdorf or so , but if I'm ask for price you're sure that they will do cartwheels and flips when listening to price ; even creed prices from Boutique or fragrancenet would make most people look at you like you have two heads....So yeh , I'm honest I tell people what I'm wearing and some don't even ask for price just name of scent....btw, the pricier the frag , the more exclusive it becomes but obviously doesn't correlated to being a master piece or even being great and artistic can be found and do exist in upper to lower tier and subjective to an individual and there's always splits for higher ones that cost a pretty penny and it all comes to how passionate an individual is about fragrances.....cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 23rd February 2014 at 01:39 AM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I always tell them - if it's a super cheapie I tell them that too. I get more compliments it seems on super cheapies than I do better stuff. I don't have many "higher end" things but when I wear them and if anyone asks I tell them what they are too. Honestly, I just can't pay hundreds of bucks for stuff, not and have all of the other things I also like or do the things I like to do - wish I COULD sometimes but I make do with what I have.

Sometimes I have to stop and think about it..lol. I wear something different everyday. Other times, I'm stumped on the pronunciation and have to think for a bit how I should say it. That's why I like the you tube channels. There's this reviewer who's name is mark...I think. He sounds like he has a good grasp of the French language. That's wear I learned how to pronounce bois d' armenie. I'm seriously thinking about taking French.

Sometimes I think about telling them...only because I don't want people at work judging me by how much I spend on fragrances.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 60ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

I told a guy that asked yesterday that it was Axe. It was Tom Ford Oud Wood.

If it's a stranger, I tell them. No reason for me for all the secrecy. Likewise at work, I usually have a vial with me and I also share.

The name of the scent might be a problem.

One time I was wearing Armani Cuir Amethyste. I said the name, and got, "Huh?" I just said, "Leather Amethyst."
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

If you notice someone smells really good, and you ask them what they're wearing, you wouldn't want them to lie to you. So, don't be a liar.

The golden rule.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If you notice someone smells really good, and you ask them what they're wearing, you wouldn't want them to lie to you. So, don't be a liar.

The golden rule.
    I'm guessing this was for me. The whole story was he asked what kind of deodorant I wear. It is in fact Axe. But he was NOT smelling Axe because I only use the solid under the armpits, and this was at work 10 hours into the day. I just thought it much simpler to answer his question instead of explaining who Tom Ford is, and what the heck Oud is. ;-)

Basenotes Plus

I always tell people, although some names seem to stump people. I was wearing Tocade once, my date asked me what I was wearing and I told him. He said, "Spell it" and I did. Maybe he thought I was mispronouncing the name. Same thing happened with Bois des Iles he thought I meant eels. Fortunately, there is no way to misunderstand "The Unicorn Spell" but then my friend said, "Is that a real perfume?"
    Last edited by foxbins; 23rd February 2014 at 02:20 AM. Reason: can't spell tonight
    Currently wearing: Opardu by Puredistance

I see no reason why you would want to keep it a secret. But I'm not one to care if someone wants to know what I have on and wants it for themselves. If I smelled something on someone and liked it enough to ask I would want to know too.

The golden rule.
    Word. I just wish I could run into people who smelled good.

It's depends....of its a designer or something they can relate to then definitely. Bleu or Pure Havane etc is no secret. But if it's something niche and obscure..say Tauer LDDM I might hesitate because I may not feel like getting involved in that convo at the time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I'm guessing this was for me.
    Nope. I must have missed your comment as I skimmed along (scrolls back up. Oh, this?).

This question of lie or don't lie has come up a bunch of times here. I think it's funny how, when the thread is about "Do you ask strangers what they're wearing if you smell something great" people say they do. But if the question is "Would you tell someone what you're wearing?" people say they'd lie. It just seems so rude.

The golden rule really is good stuff. Treat others the way you'd want them to treat you.

Nope. I must have missed your comment as I skimmed along (scrolls back up. Oh, this?).

This question of lie or don't lie has come up a bunch of times here. I think it's funny how, when the thread is about "Do you ask strangers what they're wearing if you smell something great" people say they do. But if the question is "Would you tell someone what you're wearing?" people say they'd lie. It just seems so rude.

The golden rule really is good stuff. Treat others the way you'd want them to treat you.
    Agree with this. (I know for some that this is heresy..) It's only perfume. Share the love.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

If I am asked by another what I am wearing, I don't hesitate to tell them ever.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Word. I just wish I could run into people who smelled good.
    Indeed! I actually smelled a guy wearing Aventus once. I told this story here before, I think, but here it is again... I was in an office and noticed it. I never smell niche where I live, so I couldn't help asking. Also, the receptionist was adorable and looked bored out of her mind. So, I went over and said "Something smells really good. Is somebody wearing cologne?" In an instant, an oafish guy bounced up from a divider and said "Oh, that's me! It's not cologne though. I just smell good." I glanced down at the receptionist and she was doing an eye-roll THIS BiiiiiiiiiiG!

It was hilarious. I was tempted to clown the guy and say "Oh, come on man, you're wearing Aventus by Creed, and you're wearing way too much of it." But I didn't because I also felt kind of bad for the guy. Clearly, he was desperate for attention. I also hoped the receptionist was just a temp, because if she has to sit downwind of that guy every day...? Yikes. I'm not badmouthing Aventus, by the way. I own it and enjoy it very much. But too much of a good thing is no longer any good at all.

I always will tell someone if they ask. It 's only cologne.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If I am asked by another what I am wearing, I don't hesitate to tell them ever.
    Right on. It's just cologne, not state secrets.
    Currently wearing: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Don't be a dbag - just tell them. If you're worried about losing some kind of 'edge' by telling someone what cologne you're wearing, you probably never had that edge to begin with.

Basenotes Member

if they ask just tell them its clive christian No.1 and if they remember or write it down and then look it up and discover the price tag would be good to see the look on their face .

I just tell them.

I tell them what I am wearing

It is better if more people buy the fragrance I wore. The more people buying the fragrance, the less fear I have of discontinuation. If no one knows....., how can I expect the fragrance will still be available,when the time comes I would like to replace my perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I told a guy that asked yesterday that it was Axe. It was Tom Ford Oud Wood.
    LOL

If it's a small office and you don't want your coworker wearing your signature scent, I could see not giving the name of it.
    If it's mainstream or some stranger I would give
    The name to spread the joy.

Cool Re: When someone asks you what you're wearing....

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Don't be a dbag - just tell them. If you're worried about losing some kind of 'edge' by telling someone what cologne you're wearing, you probably never had that edge to begin with.

I totally agree!! Luckily for me I really enjoy androgynous risky slightly feminine fragrances, ones that only people like me can pull off like Dior Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme ect. Women have asked what I'm wearing when I'm wearing Prada Amber PH because it's so unique and I will always tell them what it is....

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Right on. It's just cologne, not state secrets.
    Bingo.

Bottom line to the OP...if someone is going to go out of their way to pay you a compliment, don't be a douche bag and not answer a simple little question like "What is that?" They may just be wanting to know to gain a little knowledge, or they may actually be interested enough to want to buy a bottle.....and if it's the latter, then I'm all about helping something that I like to sell and thus hopefully keep it out of the "Discontinued" stage.

The only time I give pause is when I'm wearing something expensive. Has nothing to do with not wanting a coworker/friend to wear the same fragrance as me, I just don't want people knowing that I wear fragrances that cost upwards of $300.

I just tell it like it is.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

No reason not to tell them. There are plenty of fragrances out there for you to choose from.