Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Question Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?

I find it interesting that the notion of sexual attraction through perfume seems to be prominent mainly among young men. The same mis-conception doesn't seem to be as prevalent among women. Or am I completely wrong about this? Why or why not?

Default Re: Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?

this thread has to have been prompted by the unfortunately captioned "Can Women really Distinguish Expensive Cologne" over in the Male Frag section. Ya?

I don't know if women post things like that online, here or elsewhere.

I do know as a parent of boys and girls, all now adults, that being attractive to the other gender + staying up with or slightly ahead of what the peers are doing, go a long way toward explaining and predicting fragrance use for young people. Its a function of age, not gender, as I see it.

Default Re: Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?

No. I don't know any women who think that.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I find it interesting that the notion of sexual attraction through perfume seems to be prominent mainly among young men. The same mis-conception doesn't seem to be as prevalent among women. Or am I completely wrong about this? Why or why not?
    I think you're right. I think it's often the same with clothing. Men will dress up in order to look good for women. Women seem to dress up in order to look good. Period. I can't think of one single instance in my life when a guy I know has gotten dressed up just to hang out with other guys unless they were going out to meet women. I can't think of one single time when a guy I knew got dressed up just to hang out with other guys. On the other hand, I see women get dressed up to go out with their female friends all the time, even if they're not going to b around men at all.

I also think this is why women are more likely to wear perfume (and wear it more often) than men. I always wear something - usually just 3 sprays (4 max). I don't do that because I'm looking for women. I do it because it's an element of my style. But in my entire life, I've never had another male friend who always wears perfume (or, lol, cologne, since men are usually afraid to acknowledge that an EdT is perfume). On the other hand, I've known many women who wear perfume every day. The average guy probably thinks cologne is something you wear to get girls. The average woman probably thinks perfume is something you wear to smell pretty.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think it's often the same with clothing. Men will dress up in order to look good for women. Women seem to dress up in order to look good. Period. I can't think of one single instance in my life when a guy I know has gotten dressed up just to hang out with other guys unless they were going out to meet women. I can't think of one single time when a guy I knew got dressed up just to hang out with other guys. On the other hand, I see women get dressed up to go out with their female friends all the time, even if they're not going to b around men at all.

I also think this is why women are more likely to wear perfume (and wear it more often) than men. I always wear something - usually just 3 sprays (4 max). I don't do that because I'm looking for women. I do it because it's an element of my style. But in my entire life, I've never had another male friend who always wears perfume (or, lol, cologne, since men are usually afraid to acknowledge that an EdT is perfume). On the other hand, I've known many women who wear perfume every day. The average guy probably thinks cologne is something you wear to get girls. The average woman probably thinks perfume is something you wear to smell pretty.
    I think you hit he nail on the head with this observation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I know of many women who wear perfume in a bid to attract men. I recently had three young Russian women asking me how to make their perfume last as long as mine. Apparently they could smell my fragrances all day in the times I was in their company. I then had a major discussion with them on how to apply to ensure longevity. I told them that my ex-girlfriend used to add perfume to her iron them steam her clothes in addition to one or two sprays to her skin. The next day all the girls smelt amazing and it turned out that one of them was only wearing her scent to gain my attention. All of these girls were single and were wearing perfume to attract the attention of males. These girls by the way were very well educated and attractive, and by no means were they stupid or gullible.
    On a personal level I have always found it attractive to smell a perfume on a women. To me I associate a fine fragrance on a woman with class, especially when she is well dressed (which is all the time for most women)
    P.S Never thought I would see a thread like in Basenotes, its shameful. No way would us guys ever discuss these things amongst ourselves.

In my opinion, both genders can, at best, slightly increase interest and attractiveness, but not magically create it, through fragrance.

A lot of women "go the extra mile" to attract or impress men. Just like men do for women - actually much more than men do.

Women get bikini waxes, spend hours playing with their hair, show a little extra cleavage in the right situation, buy dozens of pairs of shoes, apply their makeup every time they go out, etc...

Will perfume make the difference? Probably not - and most women and men know that. But it falls under the "every little bit helps" category.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by paigey View Post
    Boobs are more effective.
    Perhaps ,but out of tact, neither is it overtly displayed nor blatantly discussed.

for swap/sale:

Kumquat, I think what you're seeing is a male-dominated forum where a good proportion of the women are perfume geeks who wouldn't think to come here asking what perfume will attract men (although I have seen it once or twice). Go on another forum and it's slightly different. MUA gets a lot more of the "what will drive him crazy?" posts, as I recall, although I don't spend much time there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by paigey View Post
    Boobs are more effective.
    How charming.

I think that women wear fragrances as a part of grooming, but I do think that some women wear it to attract men.

As a member pointed out, this is mainly a men's forum, so there may be more queries about "love potions" from men.

Perfume wear as making one more attractive is inferred in most of mainstream fragrance advertising. Much is placed on being seductive, forbidden, alluring, sensual, feminine or even being a femme fatale. Fragrance marketing has long targeted women with tales of love, exoticism and seduction. (I think of Shalimar, Sous Le Vent, Vol de Nuit, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel Cuir de Russie.)

Scent is advertised as being used to attract men. Think of the recent campaign for Chanel No. 5 with Brad Pitt. His monologue is all about perfume and women. There is also the short film with the lovely Kiera Knightley and her smitten photographer. She rises from her bed and dabs some Coco before dashing through Paris on her motorcycle.

Men's scents seem to centre on virility, sophistication, elegance, gentlemanliness (?), wealth or power.

All in all, the best way to attract interest is to be well groomed and bathed.

Perish the thought! Men? Wear perfume?

BTW, the expression "cologne" is often used for most men's fragrances. I have a bottle of my father's "cologne" from the 1960s, and it says its alcohol content is 72%. This is essentially an eau de parfum. (No wonder I love leather florals so much! )
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th February 2014 at 06:34 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I believe these might be the same women who believe drinking tea will make you lose weight or get scammed by the ads on Facebook for the infamous raspberry tablet that makes you lose 3 stone in a month, or the miracle face cream that does not let you age. The free trail of only paying £4.95 shipping and do not read the T&Cs and then find £££ taken from their accounts.

I have never actually met any, now if I did I would ask, " why are you such morons????"

They want some magic potion to do all the work for them, perfume to get the perfect man, drink the tea or take the pill to make them suddenly lose weight and the cream to stop them getting old.
    Last edited by donna255; 24th February 2014 at 01:08 PM.
    DONNA

I have always believed that women dress, wear (often too much) make-up and primp themselves not for men, but to impress other women. Do men really find that a made up doll with trowled on eye shadow, foundations, conceiler, blush and lipstick attractive? Probably not in the end. Maybe at first but kissing all that stuff is sort of gross and the next morning...what the hell? That un made up face with eyebrows plucked to nothing...yuck. I think it is called cayote ugly. Most straight guys I know would prefer a natural beauty over a plastic doll. Then again, I am gay. What do I know? I do think most women realize fragrance will not get a man. Like the rest of the package, they wear it for the other gals or for themselves. Beauty is skin deep, the stuff on top is not beauty, it enhances what you have or hides what really is underneath.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    How charming.
    LOL.

If one is depending on perfume..something is wrong there, lol. 1 Million and Hypnotic Poison aren't going to be potions to deliver Mr. or Mrs. Right. Just like horoscopes aren't going to tell you anything about your love life, you may think they are but c'mon man! Lol, might as well ask a Magic 8 ball..'Better not tell you now' LOL, it knew you were wearing 1 Million. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have always believed that women dress, wear (often too much) make-up and primp themselves not for men, but to impress other women.
    bingo. I have never personally noticed (nor heard any of my buddies say they noticed) what shoes/purse/jewelry a girl is wearing... but I've definitely heard girls talk tons of s*** about other girls' shoes/purse/jewelry.

I read on here that 'the laydees on Fragrantica go crazy for Versace Eros'. I used the InterNet to research this curious proposition for myself. And, lo! It turns out that this is a pile of manure and most in fact seem to give it the thumbs down.

I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In my opinion, both genders can, at best, slightly increase interest and attractiveness, but not magically create it, through fragrance.

I agree with Akahina I think. It's to impress their female peers ostensibly. Especially clothes and accessories.

But it's not black and white, i.e. probably some do.

'Woman' - 'Men' -- it's a bit too catch all

I think you're right. I think it's often the same with clothing. Men will dress up in order to look good for women. Women seem to dress up in order to look good. Period. I can't think of one single instance in my life when a guy I know has gotten dressed up just to hang out with other guys unless they were going out to meet women. I can't think of one single time when a guy I knew got dressed up just to hang out with other guys. On the other hand, I see women get dressed up to go out with their female friends all the time, even if they're not going to b around men at all.

You must not know women , maybe cause I live and work in NYC, but it goes both ways as women sometimes wear the most ridiculous uncomfortable shoes etc , to enhance themselves and create a more attractive allure. Women are just more discreet at doing it man are more obvious but both are creating a more enticing appeal to each other either consciously or subconsciously....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Blog Entries

I have noticed that while the men's forum has a stickie question for this topic that has gone on for years, there is nothing to compare in the women's. I have seen the occasional query, but I gather most women are married or have partners already. Or they just don't believe this premise to begin with.

I was somewhat amused by the OP in the thread that inspired this one. He kept saying he wanted to attract LOTS of women, the more the better. He couldn't even afford one bottle of perfume. What would he do with dozens of women to keep them entertained? I pointed out that he really only needed to attract one special woman, in the end result, but that didn't figure into his equation of getting to choose from dozens, maybe hundreds of desirable babes. Good luck with that. People are such victims of the advertising schemes that are forced onto us. They just don't accept it.
    Last edited by kumquat; 24th February 2014 at 02:52 PM.

I tend to believe both men and woman wear certain scents or certain outfits to be attractive. From what I understand scent is one of the most powerful attractions in the animal kingdom. It may be the exception rather than the rule but the answer is not as simple as that. As one poster stated about working in NYC. I also worked in NYC for 45 years before I moved. The dress for both men and women is very different where I am now. Another poster mentioned that the real person is underneath all the trimmings. I agree but we do not know about the driving force. Confidence in one's self, self perception. Advertising, geography, age group..I believe it all plays a part.I wear cologne everyday. Does that say anything about me other than I like to smell nice? It is part of my routine, like a shower, my wallet and cologne. Lets take clothes for a minute. I am not putting on a suit to go to the supermarket no matter who may be there. I tend to like jeans and football jerseys, but will wear white tie and tails when the occasion call for it and be comfortable in either one.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Basenotes Plus

The question here is..... "Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?"
    The right perfume. The right man. Hmmm

The right Man? As in, ONLY the right kind of man for her? (okay, that means there's also plenty of "wrong kind of man" for her, right?)

So, you're asking... If a woman has a selection of fragrances, and picks that one, particular scent from her collection, and expects that this particular juice (yes, only this one, the other fragrances won't work...) will attract ONLY the "right" kind of mate? And all the other men who are considered "not the right type" for her will not be attracted to her? ---- I don't know anyone like that.

But wait a minute..there is such a thing as, for example...say, this kind of scent is a turn off for younger crowd, and vise versa .

In general, I think, both men & women wear fragrances, for both self-enjoyment and attracting/impressing others
    Last edited by 601red; 24th February 2014 at 04:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 601red View Post
    The question here is..... "Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?"
    The right perfume. The right man. Hmmm

The right Man? As in, ONLY the right kind of man for her? (okay, that means there's also plenty of "wrong kind of man" for her, right?)

So, you're asking... If a woman has a selection of fragrances, and picks that one, particular scent from her collection, and expects that this particular juice (yes, only this one, the other fragrances won't work...) will attract ONLY the "right" kind of mate? And all the other men who are considered "not the right type" for her will not be attracted to her? ---- I don't know anyone like that.

But in general, I think both men & women wear fragrances, for both self-enjoyment and attracting/impressing others
    I had to squeeze a lot into that short question. The implication being- there would be a mutual attraction there.

Basenotes Plus

The implication being- there would be a mutual attraction there.
    Yes. Scent does all kinds of weird things....

I pointed out that he really only needed to attract one special woman,
    Or a dozen average ones? It's a toughie ..

It's not a strictly gender related issue, IMO.
    I think there are women, and men, that tend to follow the stereotypes that society, reinforced by advertisements and marketing strategies suggest: if you wear X girls/guys/both will fall at your feet without even need to talk. I'm not much into ads- I haven't had a TV since 20 years, fill my PC and phone with antiads filters, so my chance to see a perfume ad is limited to bus stops and so on- but I believe 90% of mainstream fragrances are promoted by more or less underdressed male/females/both hinting to sex related situations. (I was sad to notice that also L'Artisan Parfumeur for its Explosion d'Emotions series uses naked people in a rather boring, useless and tasteless way.... not to revive an old debate, but I find much funnier and less offensive the infamous Slumberhouse site pictures...). So, yes, wearing the famous panty or boxer dropper seems the easiest way to reach the goal- I would say the same thing about some ways of clothing: the stereotype is that let's say black lace, miniskirt and heels is sexy, so I'll wear like that and I'll be sexy
    Then there are women and men- many BNers, I would say, me included- who tend to see perfume as another way to express oneself along with clothing, making up, moving and talking. There are differentiated occasions to display one aspect or another, being sexy and seductive included, and differentiated fragrances to help....
    In this case I guess it's a (hard) work in finding which fragrance will highlight better the aspect one would love to see appreciated by the coveted one.... Do I feel like to be perceived as a bit rough and wild in Bornéo 1834 or smoother and classier in Coromandel? (Problems on the horizon if she/he doesn't like patchouli...).
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Or a dozen average ones? It's a toughie ..
    Why limit yourself, I say!

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    You must not know women
    Actually, I was raised mostly by women and around women with very little male influence. Also, I've spent the majority of my career working for companies and clients that specifically target women. If I'm clueless about a gender, it's men. Men often make no sense to me. The topic of this thread is a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    maybe cause I live and work in NYC, but it goes both ways as women sometimes wear the most ridiculous uncomfortable shoes etc , to enhance themselves and create a more attractive allure.
    Yes, but you're missing that they tend to do this for themselves more than men do. And they do this more to look good for other women (but not in a sexual way). Can you think of common examples of a straight guy wearing something in order to look attractive around other men? Clothing with sports logos doesn't count.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 24th February 2014 at 09:44 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Why limit yourself, I say!
    Ah, yes, those were the days! But that time in one's life is so brief. Youth is so fleeting and centered on the immediate "here and now". I want it, let it be so.

Actually, I was raised mostly by women and around women with very little male influence. Also, I've spent the majority of my career working for companies and clients that specifically target women. If I'm clueless about a gender, it's men. Men often make no sense to me. The topic of this thread is a perfect example.

Yes, but you're missing that they tend to do this for themselves more than men do. And they do this more to look good for other women (but not in a sexual way). Can you think of common examples of a straight guy wearing something in order to look good in front of other men? Clothing with sports logos doesn't count.
    I think you are right, in the main- generally. Unless a woman is really "on the prowl".

I have always believed that women dress, wear (often too much) make-up and primp themselves not for men, but to impress other women. Do men really find that a made up doll with trowled on eye shadow, foundations, conceiler, blush and lipstick attractive? Probably not in the end. Maybe at first but kissing all that stuff is sort of gross and the next morning...what the hell? That un made up face with eyebrows plucked to nothing...yuck. I think it is called cayote ugly. Most straight guys I know would prefer a natural beauty over a plastic doll. Then again, I am gay. What do I know? I do think most women realize fragrance will not get a man. Like the rest of the package, they wear it for the other gals or for themselves. Beauty is skin deep, the stuff on top is not beauty, it enhances what you have or hides what really is underneath.
    Men profess they like women to look "natural," but for this so-called look, it takes at least 15 minutes to look "natural." Most women with no makeup, even the young ones, look washed out. You can see many celebrity "beauties" look horrid without the makeup to look "natural."

So, yes, men do like women "dolled up," even if makeup is cleverly applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I agree with Akahina I think. It's to impress their female peers ostensibly. Especially clothes and accessories.

But it's not black and white, i.e. probably some do.

'Woman' - 'Men' -- it's a bit too catch all
    It depends on the social setting. If it is just lunch with all-girl friends, the dress-up is subtle with no statement to be made.

If some "girl rivalry" is in effect, then the makeup and status jewellery and handbag are required.

It's like a man showing up to a meeting among men with his Kiton suit (or bespoke Savile Row) and Cartier Ballon Bleu watch. It is subtle but the details and status are all there, too.

Kumquat, yes, it takes more than a bottle of fragrance to interest and keep the interest of a woman.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I was somewhat amused by the OP in the thread that inspired this one. He kept saying he wanted to attract LOTS of women, the more the better. He couldn't even afford one bottle of perfume. What would he do with dozens of women to keep them entertained? .
    hehe.

laughing..what is the expression? Where there is will there is a way! You would have to get one of those ticket machines they give you at the deli counter.

'I was somewhat amused by the OP in the thread that inspired this one. He kept saying he wanted to attract LOTS of women, the more the better. He couldn't even afford one bottle of perfume. What would he do with dozens of women to keep them entertained?'
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Men profess they like women to look "natural," but for this so-called look, it takes at least 15 minutes to look "natural." Most women with no makeup, even the young ones, look washed out. You can see many celebrity "beauties" look horrid without the makeup to look "natural."
    It's kind of tragic that we are so used to images of perfected female surfaces that women – most women – look „washed out” or even „horrid” when not having undergone the masking routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    It's kind of tragic that we are so used to images of perfected female surfaces that women – most women – look „washed out” or even „horrid” when not having undergone the masking routine.
    Nature always needs a little help.

Human nature is hardly ever happy with reality.

Men don't care about perfume. Women wear perfume because in this country they learn that since they have boobs and a vagina they can do and wear as they please without bending to the same rules that men have been conditioned in this country. The country I am referring to is the United States and perhaps other European countries. Back in the days when men were allowed to be free, they would douse themselves in cologne like no one's business but nowadays they're looked at weird if a fragrance is detected off of them. Times were much simpler for men before but the tide has shifted where women have it easy if they're even if they're slightly attractive. In today's world, an average woman who dolls herself up, presents herself in trendy clothing and sprays herself in tacky perfume gets treated better than beauties from days gone by who dressed modestly and spoke politely.

Nature always needs a little help.

Human nature is hardly ever happy with reality.
    I happily disagree with both statements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Men don't care about perfume. Women wear perfume because in this country they learn that since they have boobs and a vagina they can do and wear as they please without bending to the same rules that men have been conditioned in this country. The country I am referring to is the United States and perhaps other European countries. Back in the days when men were allowed to be free, they would douse themselves in cologne like no one's business but nowadays they're looked at weird if a fragrance is detected off of them. Times were much simpler for men before but the tide has shifted where women have it easy if they're even if they're slightly attractive. In today's world, an average woman who dolls herself up, presents herself in trendy clothing and sprays herself in tacky perfume gets treated better than beauties from days gone by who dressed modestly and spoke politely.
    It's great to see you're not bitter.

But really, what "old days" are you referring to? When no one criticized men's perfume? And who criticizes it now?

I can't quite track what you're saying here, Ronin. Could you elaborate?

Men don't care about perfume? Men are no longer free? Women can wear and dress how they like without consequence? These things strike me as the polar opposite of reality. I feel like I'm totally missing the gist of your post.

It's often helpful to think about nostalgia (what I believe you're alluding to here) as quite illusory. People tend to hearken back to the "good old days" and draw connections to something like I Love Lucy (a totally fictional reality) or TV of movies or what-have-you in mind. Nostalgia tends to be grounded more in a frustration with the present which produces a longing for a "simpler time" that never actually existed (see Frederic Jameson for a good discussion of this).
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I can't quite track what you're saying here, Ronin. Could you elaborate?

Men don't care about perfume? Men are no longer free? Women can wear and dress how they like without consequence? These things strike me as the polar opposite of reality. I feel like I'm totally missing the gist of your post.
    I'm saying that men aren't respected these days. When they try to wear cologne and look good they're automatically labeled as metrosexual. Back in the 70s and 80s when men tried to look good there weren't the same type of labels as there for them today. Splashing on half a bottle of pre-formulation Aramis was no problem and no one looked at you twice for doing it. My last point is that women these days are overrated as far as their personality and looks are concerned as long as they make the effort of looking the part. So if an average woman who dolls herself full of makeup and puts on the latest trendy clothing and walks the part then men fall for her and treat her like a princess. If you want to see what I'm talking about just turn on the latest reality show starring drunk party girls. Men also feel they must play a different part these days where you must be a gorilla juicehead to get the attention of these dolled-up drunk party girls.

It's great to see you're not bitter.

But really, what "old days" are you referring to? When no one criticized men's perfume? And who criticizes it now?
    Yeah, I'm bitter in some ways but that's just how I perceived the world. Wish I was more passive and didn't allow things to bother me so much. I blame it on a bad childhood.

Men profess they like women to look "natural," but for this so-called look, it takes at least 15 minutes to look "natural." Most women with no makeup, even the young ones, look washed out. You can see many celebrity "beauties" look horrid without the makeup to look "natural.".
    Well perhaps that explains why I am happy and proud to be gay! I don't care for make up and am not attracted to women at all. Maybe it is because without makeup they look "horrid" as you say?Which reminds me of an old and terrible joke. The following is a joke! Please do not be offended!!!"Why do women wear makup and perfume?""Because they are ugly and they stink."
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

When it comes to flirting and dating, I think men can take naivite and douchery to a whole different level compared to women. And looking for panty dropper colognes is up there, so it's probably more common among men.

I'm saying that men aren't respected these days. When they try to wear cologne and look good they're automatically labeled as metrosexual. Back in the 70s and 80s when men tried to look good there weren't the same type of labels as there for them today. Splashing on half a bottle of pre-formulation Aramis was no problem and no one looked at you twice for doing it. My last point is that women these days are overrated as far as their personality and looks are concerned as long as they make the effort of looking the part. So if an average woman who dolls herself full of makeup and puts on the latest trendy clothing and walks the part then men fall for her and treat her like a princess. If you want to see what I'm talking about just turn on the latest reality show starring drunk party girls. Men also feel they must play a different part these days where you must be a gorilla juicehead to get the attention of these dolled-up drunk party girls.
    There are major generalizations at work in your post though!

First, why is metrosexual a bad thing? It's just a silly cultural term that designates men who, like these men of the '70s and '80s you seem to reference, care about their appearance and grooming and whatnot. Is it simply because the term contains the word "sexual" and might therefore be drawing connotations to "homosexual?" This strikes me as a little crazy!

To say that "women these days are overrated" is, frankly, a silly, misogynist claim. All women? This is a profoundly disturbing and hurtful statement to make, so please do be at least cognizant of the fact that you're essentially condemning a large part of the Basenotes community as "overrated."

As far as turning on the latest reality show goes, I'd suggest that you maybe turn off the TV. Reality shows aren't real -- not even close to real. They're edited, scripted, and mediated in a multitude of ways to create certain impressions. If this is what your comments are based on, then I'd understand how your perception could be so warped. I mean no disrespect, but you strike me not as someone who's bitter per se, but someone who's wildly out of touch with reality.

I'm going to leave these comments up here, but I am going to ask you to please choose your words somewhat carefully as some of what you're saying here is deeply offensive. This is an interesting thread -- let's at least keep it diplomatic and reasonable.
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 09:45 PM.

Yeah, I'm bitter in some ways but that's just how I perceived the world. Wish I was more passive and didn't allow things to bother me so much. I blame it on a bad childhood.
    Totally understandable. Let's see how this conversation continues, shall we? Let's let some other's chat for a while and maybe respond.
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 09:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah - guys please remember that other members can be really upset by posts even if that's not the intention.

Maybe take a break - go & sniff some fragrance or something & cool it a bit.

If you're not attracted to someone, it's not going to matter a damn what they smell like. Pretty basic stuff really.

Blog Entries

I do think it's interesting how the concept of garnering compliments from the opposite sex is couched in those terms. When really what you are doing is, plain and simple- Trolling for sex. I, personally am happy to get compliments on my perfume wherever I can get them. I got one today from a woman nurse in the doctor's office. I was very pleased. She liked my perfume and could smell it from across the room. (I hadn't put much on, either.)

I find the concept interesting, and his has been a great read. Do I think that at my advanced age that a perfect scent will make me a guy magnet? No way. But I think scent is a powerful thing, and the mental connections from a fragrance can be strong and deep.

There have been only two frags that I ever got any "mileage" out of in this respect, and one was very long time ago. The other was when a very much younger guy (the target of several young women in the room) went out of his way to talk up the great perfume I was wearing and how magical it was, which annoyed his fan club to know end...I suspect I could have been wearing a garlic bulb and he'd have said the same thing.

Well perhaps that explains why I am happy and proud to be gay! I don't care for make up and am not attracted to women at all. Maybe it is because without makeup they look "horrid" as you say?Which reminds me of an old and terrible joke. The following is a joke! Please do not be offended!!!"Why do women wear makup and perfume?""Because they are ugly and they stink."
    That is a little bit extreme! Honestly, I think men should at least wear a light coat of talcum on their faces after a shave like they did back in the day. Takes down the shine. We are not talking thick women's face powders. (Men's toiletries do this today with mattifying lotions. The idea is not new.)

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    If you're not attracted to someone, it's not going to matter a damn what they smell like. Pretty basic stuff really.
    Perfectly said. A jerk wearing fragrance is still a jerk, only he smells nice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post

That's one generalisation that I can agree with

Why is it that gay men get a pass for being misogynists? Oh right, don't be offended by this joke - it's only a joke, although women really do look horrid without makeup! This isn't to say that all or even most gay men are misogynists (any more than straight men are). But those who are seem to be able to say the ugliest and most insulting things about women with complete impunity - people just giggle, because apparently sexism and disgust with women is ok if you're gay. What's up with that?

Basenotes Plus

Totally agree, Kagey - my post #45 was directed at more than one participant here - it would be nice if these things could be discussed sensibly and without prejudice but these topics do appear to bring out some stuff that might be better kept as personal opinions since airing them can be so divisive.

There's a post edit facility available to all members
    Last edited by lpp; 25th February 2014 at 02:29 PM.

Men who seek a "panty dropper" cologne do so because they genuinely think it will help them seal the deal. If these men were having success with women without cologne, they wouldn't be on this hunt in the first place. The idea that the right fragrance will help you get a woman in bed really speaks to the level of these men's pick up game. Gotta have a flashy watch, nice car, big muscles, tan, fresh haircut, sexy fragrance etc - really, all you have do is be confident and polite. I've seen many average looking men have success with beautiful women because they understand "the game". Anyways, often times you'll know if a person is interested in you long before you ever smell them, eye contact, it can happen from across the room.

Every teenage girl. They even put on make up, some supposedly even go as far as fake boobs, nose jobs, diets, hair colour and extensions.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 25th February 2014 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I've seen many average looking men have success with beautiful women because they understand "the game". :
    +1. If men realise that they are average or plain looking, they basically have nothing to lose and make up for this in other ways, i.e. they put the effort in. Handsome men are too afraid of getting the cold shoulder with beautiful women -- egos would be shattered, etc.

Btw -- many fragrances I smell on women are a complete turn-off for me so I suspect it is the same for them with men's fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Every teenage girl. They even put on make up, some supposedly even go as far as fake boobs, nose jobs, diets, hair colour and extensions.
    You're right about the age group. Young people do fall into this trap most often.

Blog Entries

http://harveyprinceshop.com/videogallery/

Thanks, Primrose, for finding this ​Perfume that attracts men!

Lol, wouldn't it be great if there was a fragrance or cologne that could instantly make us feel friendly or positively disposed to the wearer, regardless of every other consideration? We could use it to create world peace.

"Fighting in Kiev ceased today as small samples of Mona Visa's new cologne, Kumbaya, was distributed throughout the city."

Trillions spent on bombs and technology to kill other people… Maybe a few dollars towards creating a fragrance that gets us to empathize with another person wouldn't be so bad…

More to the point of this thread though, I can't say that I've ever consciously thought that the right perfume would attract the right man, exactly. I think there may be "wrong" fragrances. Wearing the same perfume as a man's ex might be a mistake; ideally you don't want to remind him of any other woman.

You're right about the age group. Young people do fall into this trap most often.
    I have even heard of young women snubbing a young man because he wore the wrong brand of clothing. Shallow thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Men who seek a "panty dropper" cologne do so because they genuinely think it will help them seal the deal. If these men were having success with women without cologne, they wouldn't be on this hunt in the first place. The idea that the right fragrance will help you get a woman in bed really speaks to the level of these men's pick up game. Gotta have a flashy watch, nice car, big muscles, tan, fresh haircut, sexy fragrance etc - really, all you have do is be confident and polite. I've seen many average looking men have success with beautiful women because they understand "the game". Anyways, often times you'll know if a person is interested in you long before you ever smell them, eye contact, it can happen from across the room.
    I am married to someone who never wore any fragrance until after we were married.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Visa View Post
    More to the point of this thread though, I can't say that I've ever consciously thought that the right perfume would attract the right man, exactly. I think there may be "wrong" fragrances. Wearing the same perfume as a man's ex might be a mistake; ideally you don't want to remind him of any other woman.
    I would dislike wearing the fragrance worn by a partner or his/her children.

Blog Entries

Primrose- ​I am also happily married to someone (Together 30+years) and neither of us wore any scent when we first started seeing each other.