Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

I was somewhat amused by the OP in the thread that inspired this one. He kept saying he wanted to attract LOTS of women, the more the better. He couldn't even afford one bottle of perfume. What would he do with dozens of women to keep them entertained? .
    hehe.

Default Re: Do you know of women who believe the right perfume will attract the right man?

laughing..what is the expression? Where there is will there is a way! You would have to get one of those ticket machines they give you at the deli counter.

'I was somewhat amused by the OP in the thread that inspired this one. He kept saying he wanted to attract LOTS of women, the more the better. He couldn't even afford one bottle of perfume. What would he do with dozens of women to keep them entertained?'
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Men profess they like women to look "natural," but for this so-called look, it takes at least 15 minutes to look "natural." Most women with no makeup, even the young ones, look washed out. You can see many celebrity "beauties" look horrid without the makeup to look "natural."
    It's kind of tragic that we are so used to images of perfected female surfaces that women – most women – look „washed out” or even „horrid” when not having undergone the masking routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    It's kind of tragic that we are so used to images of perfected female surfaces that women – most women – look „washed out” or even „horrid” when not having undergone the masking routine.
    Nature always needs a little help.

Human nature is hardly ever happy with reality.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Men don't care about perfume. Women wear perfume because in this country they learn that since they have boobs and a vagina they can do and wear as they please without bending to the same rules that men have been conditioned in this country. The country I am referring to is the United States and perhaps other European countries. Back in the days when men were allowed to be free, they would douse themselves in cologne like no one's business but nowadays they're looked at weird if a fragrance is detected off of them. Times were much simpler for men before but the tide has shifted where women have it easy if they're even if they're slightly attractive. In today's world, an average woman who dolls herself up, presents herself in trendy clothing and sprays herself in tacky perfume gets treated better than beauties from days gone by who dressed modestly and spoke politely.

Nature always needs a little help.

Human nature is hardly ever happy with reality.
    I happily disagree with both statements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Men don't care about perfume. Women wear perfume because in this country they learn that since they have boobs and a vagina they can do and wear as they please without bending to the same rules that men have been conditioned in this country. The country I am referring to is the United States and perhaps other European countries. Back in the days when men were allowed to be free, they would douse themselves in cologne like no one's business but nowadays they're looked at weird if a fragrance is detected off of them. Times were much simpler for men before but the tide has shifted where women have it easy if they're even if they're slightly attractive. In today's world, an average woman who dolls herself up, presents herself in trendy clothing and sprays herself in tacky perfume gets treated better than beauties from days gone by who dressed modestly and spoke politely.
    It's great to see you're not bitter.

But really, what "old days" are you referring to? When no one criticized men's perfume? And who criticizes it now?
    Currently wearing: French Cancan by Caron

I can't quite track what you're saying here, Ronin. Could you elaborate?

Men don't care about perfume? Men are no longer free? Women can wear and dress how they like without consequence? These things strike me as the polar opposite of reality. I feel like I'm totally missing the gist of your post.

It's often helpful to think about nostalgia (what I believe you're alluding to here) as quite illusory. People tend to hearken back to the "good old days" and draw connections to something like I Love Lucy (a totally fictional reality) or TV of movies or what-have-you in mind. Nostalgia tends to be grounded more in a frustration with the present which produces a longing for a "simpler time" that never actually existed (see Frederic Jameson for a good discussion of this).
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I can't quite track what you're saying here, Ronin. Could you elaborate?

Men don't care about perfume? Men are no longer free? Women can wear and dress how they like without consequence? These things strike me as the polar opposite of reality. I feel like I'm totally missing the gist of your post.
    I'm saying that men aren't respected these days. When they try to wear cologne and look good they're automatically labeled as metrosexual. Back in the 70s and 80s when men tried to look good there weren't the same type of labels as there for them today. Splashing on half a bottle of pre-formulation Aramis was no problem and no one looked at you twice for doing it. My last point is that women these days are overrated as far as their personality and looks are concerned as long as they make the effort of looking the part. So if an average woman who dolls herself full of makeup and puts on the latest trendy clothing and walks the part then men fall for her and treat her like a princess. If you want to see what I'm talking about just turn on the latest reality show starring drunk party girls. Men also feel they must play a different part these days where you must be a gorilla juicehead to get the attention of these dolled-up drunk party girls.

It's great to see you're not bitter.

But really, what "old days" are you referring to? When no one criticized men's perfume? And who criticizes it now?
    Yeah, I'm bitter in some ways but that's just how I perceived the world. Wish I was more passive and didn't allow things to bother me so much. I blame it on a bad childhood.

Men profess they like women to look "natural," but for this so-called look, it takes at least 15 minutes to look "natural." Most women with no makeup, even the young ones, look washed out. You can see many celebrity "beauties" look horrid without the makeup to look "natural.".
    Well perhaps that explains why I am happy and proud to be gay! I don't care for make up and am not attracted to women at all. Maybe it is because without makeup they look "horrid" as you say?Which reminds me of an old and terrible joke. The following is a joke! Please do not be offended!!!"Why do women wear makup and perfume?""Because they are ugly and they stink."
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Santal Royal by Guerlain

When it comes to flirting and dating, I think men can take naivite and douchery to a whole different level compared to women. And looking for panty dropper colognes is up there, so it's probably more common among men.

I'm saying that men aren't respected these days. When they try to wear cologne and look good they're automatically labeled as metrosexual. Back in the 70s and 80s when men tried to look good there weren't the same type of labels as there for them today. Splashing on half a bottle of pre-formulation Aramis was no problem and no one looked at you twice for doing it. My last point is that women these days are overrated as far as their personality and looks are concerned as long as they make the effort of looking the part. So if an average woman who dolls herself full of makeup and puts on the latest trendy clothing and walks the part then men fall for her and treat her like a princess. If you want to see what I'm talking about just turn on the latest reality show starring drunk party girls. Men also feel they must play a different part these days where you must be a gorilla juicehead to get the attention of these dolled-up drunk party girls.
    There are major generalizations at work in your post though!

First, why is metrosexual a bad thing? It's just a silly cultural term that designates men who, like these men of the '70s and '80s you seem to reference, care about their appearance and grooming and whatnot. Is it simply because the term contains the word "sexual" and might therefore be drawing connotations to "homosexual?" This strikes me as a little crazy!

To say that "women these days are overrated" is, frankly, a silly, misogynist claim. All women? This is a profoundly disturbing and hurtful statement to make, so please do be at least cognizant of the fact that you're essentially condemning a large part of the Basenotes community as "overrated."

As far as turning on the latest reality show goes, I'd suggest that you maybe turn off the TV. Reality shows aren't real -- not even close to real. They're edited, scripted, and mediated in a multitude of ways to create certain impressions. If this is what your comments are based on, then I'd understand how your perception could be so warped. I mean no disrespect, but you strike me not as someone who's bitter per se, but someone who's wildly out of touch with reality.

I'm going to leave these comments up here, but I am going to ask you to please choose your words somewhat carefully as some of what you're saying here is deeply offensive. This is an interesting thread -- let's at least keep it diplomatic and reasonable.
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 08:45 PM.

Yeah, I'm bitter in some ways but that's just how I perceived the world. Wish I was more passive and didn't allow things to bother me so much. I blame it on a bad childhood.
    Totally understandable. Let's see how this conversation continues, shall we? Let's let some other's chat for a while and maybe respond.
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th February 2014 at 08:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah - guys please remember that other members can be really upset by posts even if that's not the intention.

Maybe take a break - go & sniff some fragrance or something & cool it a bit.

If you're not attracted to someone, it's not going to matter a damn what they smell like. Pretty basic stuff really.
    Currently wearing: Arabian Wood by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

I do think it's interesting how the concept of garnering compliments from the opposite sex is couched in those terms. When really what you are doing is, plain and simple- Trolling for sex. I, personally am happy to get compliments on my perfume wherever I can get them. I got one today from a woman nurse in the doctor's office. I was very pleased. She liked my perfume and could smell it from across the room. (I hadn't put much on, either.)

I find the concept interesting, and his has been a great read. Do I think that at my advanced age that a perfect scent will make me a guy magnet? No way. But I think scent is a powerful thing, and the mental connections from a fragrance can be strong and deep.

There have been only two frags that I ever got any "mileage" out of in this respect, and one was very long time ago. The other was when a very much younger guy (the target of several young women in the room) went out of his way to talk up the great perfume I was wearing and how magical it was, which annoyed his fan club to know end...I suspect I could have been wearing a garlic bulb and he'd have said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Well perhaps that explains why I am happy and proud to be gay! I don't care for make up and am not attracted to women at all. Maybe it is because without makeup they look "horrid" as you say?Which reminds me of an old and terrible joke. The following is a joke! Please do not be offended!!!"Why do women wear makup and perfume?""Because they are ugly and they stink."
    That is a little bit extreme! Honestly, I think men should at least wear a light coat of talcum on their faces after a shave like they did back in the day. Takes down the shine. We are not talking thick women's face powders. (Men's toiletries do this today with mattifying lotions. The idea is not new.)

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    If you're not attracted to someone, it's not going to matter a damn what they smell like. Pretty basic stuff really.
    Perfectly said. A jerk wearing fragrance is still a jerk, only he smells nice.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post

That's one generalisation that I can agree with

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Why is it that gay men get a pass for being misogynists? Oh right, don't be offended by this joke - it's only a joke, although women really do look horrid without makeup! This isn't to say that all or even most gay men are misogynists (any more than straight men are). But those who are seem to be able to say the ugliest and most insulting things about women with complete impunity - people just giggle, because apparently sexism and disgust with women is ok if you're gay. What's up with that?

Basenotes Plus

Totally agree, Kagey - my post #45 was directed at more than one participant here - it would be nice if these things could be discussed sensibly and without prejudice but these topics do appear to bring out some stuff that might be better kept as personal opinions since airing them can be so divisive.

There's a post edit facility available to all members
    Last edited by lpp; 25th February 2014 at 01:29 PM.

Men who seek a "panty dropper" cologne do so because they genuinely think it will help them seal the deal. If these men were having success with women without cologne, they wouldn't be on this hunt in the first place. The idea that the right fragrance will help you get a woman in bed really speaks to the level of these men's pick up game. Gotta have a flashy watch, nice car, big muscles, tan, fresh haircut, sexy fragrance etc - really, all you have do is be confident and polite. I've seen many average looking men have success with beautiful women because they understand "the game". Anyways, often times you'll know if a person is interested in you long before you ever smell them, eye contact, it can happen from across the room.

Every teenage girl. They even put on make up, some supposedly even go as far as fake boobs, nose jobs, diets, hair colour and extensions.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 25th February 2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I've seen many average looking men have success with beautiful women because they understand "the game". :
    +1. If men realise that they are average or plain looking, they basically have nothing to lose and make up for this in other ways, i.e. they put the effort in. Handsome men are too afraid of getting the cold shoulder with beautiful women -- egos would be shattered, etc.

Btw -- many fragrances I smell on women are a complete turn-off for me so I suspect it is the same for them with men's fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Every teenage girl. They even put on make up, some supposedly even go as far as fake boobs, nose jobs, diets, hair colour and extensions.
    You're right about the age group. Young people do fall into this trap most often.

Blog Entries

http://harveyprinceshop.com/videogallery/

Thanks, Primrose, for finding this ​Perfume that attracts men!

Lol, wouldn't it be great if there was a fragrance or cologne that could instantly make us feel friendly or positively disposed to the wearer, regardless of every other consideration? We could use it to create world peace.

"Fighting in Kiev ceased today as small samples of Mona Visa's new cologne, Kumbaya, was distributed throughout the city."

Trillions spent on bombs and technology to kill other people… Maybe a few dollars towards creating a fragrance that gets us to empathize with another person wouldn't be so bad…

More to the point of this thread though, I can't say that I've ever consciously thought that the right perfume would attract the right man, exactly. I think there may be "wrong" fragrances. Wearing the same perfume as a man's ex might be a mistake; ideally you don't want to remind him of any other woman.

You're right about the age group. Young people do fall into this trap most often.
    I have even heard of young women snubbing a young man because he wore the wrong brand of clothing. Shallow thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Men who seek a "panty dropper" cologne do so because they genuinely think it will help them seal the deal. If these men were having success with women without cologne, they wouldn't be on this hunt in the first place. The idea that the right fragrance will help you get a woman in bed really speaks to the level of these men's pick up game. Gotta have a flashy watch, nice car, big muscles, tan, fresh haircut, sexy fragrance etc - really, all you have do is be confident and polite. I've seen many average looking men have success with beautiful women because they understand "the game". Anyways, often times you'll know if a person is interested in you long before you ever smell them, eye contact, it can happen from across the room.
    I am married to someone who never wore any fragrance until after we were married.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Visa View Post
    More to the point of this thread though, I can't say that I've ever consciously thought that the right perfume would attract the right man, exactly. I think there may be "wrong" fragrances. Wearing the same perfume as a man's ex might be a mistake; ideally you don't want to remind him of any other woman.
    I would dislike wearing the fragrance worn by a partner or his/her children.

Blog Entries

Primrose- ​I am also happily married to someone (Together 30+years) and neither of us wore any scent when we first started seeing each other.