Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which is the best scent for a business meeting?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chanel Sycomore

18 41.86%
  • Chanel No. 19 (EDP)

3 6.98%
  • Chanel No. 19 Poudre

1 2.33%
  • Cartier Roadster

3 6.98%
  • Dior Bois d'Argent

5 11.63%
  • Guerlain Derby

13 30.23%

Default Business meeting scent

Here we go again.

A formal business setting, so I need a scent with moderate sillage and longevity in cool weather.

My choices:

Chanel Sycomore
    Chanel No. 19 (EDP)
    Chanel No. 19 Poudre
    Cartier Roadster
    Dior Bois d'Argent
    Guerlain Derby

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th February 2014 at 06:17 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Business meeting scent

From your list you can't go wrong with either Derby or Sycomore. Personally I wear Puredistance M for meetings in colder climates if I'm in a suit, or Invasion Barbare if it's somewhere warmer.

Derby I would say

Male or female?

From your list - Guerlain Derby
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

+1 Guerlain Derby
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I'd say Derby or Sycomore, but only because I prefer No 19 edt to the edp!

Sycomore✔️
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

From the list -- Derby

Personally, I would wear Santal Noble or Great Jones

Thank you for all of your kind comments.

Derby it is! Nothing beats a leather chypre for a more formal setting.

BTW, this is be the older version in the bee bottle, not the "fresher" wood bottle version.

@ JiveHIppo, all of these scents can be worn by men or women. I also thought to add Sous Le Vent, but prefer Derby.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My belated advice: can only second Derby, indeed an appropriate choice.

Good luck with your meeting and all the best for tomorrow!

Basenotes Plus

You can never go wrong with Derby.

For what it's worth, I personally prefer the newer formulation, the one in the wood framed bottle. It feels like a more modern version of the old classic, and in this case the remake is extremely well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    @ JiveHIppo, all of these scents can be worn by men or women. I also thought to add Sous Le Vent, but prefer Derby.
    Sure, but my choice would have been different depending on your sex. I guess you want to keep that a secret. Derby is a good choice.

I voted for Sycomore. I find it perfect because it's fresh, not too intrusive, but has some woods that make it elegant.
    But Derby is perfect too.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Sure, but my choice would have been different depending on your sex. I guess you want to keep that a secret. Derby is a good choice.
    Love your new avatar Jive and congrats on the medals :-)

Sycomore is my choice.

Thanks CapriDog! Hockey is serious business up here!

I believe you've done some redecorating too! Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    You can never go wrong with Derby.

For what it's worth, I personally prefer the newer formulation, the one in the wood framed bottle. It feels like a more modern version of the old classic, and in this case the remake is extremely well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1 But I really hate the bottles. I feel like I'm going to get a splinter everytime I use. Looks like a straight copy of DSquared's He Wood/ She Wood range.

I don't think people should generalise. I like to wear what I enjoy. For the record, Jicky is worn by many men, and yet technically, it's a women's scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    +1 But I really hate the bottles. I feel like I'm going to get a splinter everytime I use. Looks like a straight copy of DSquared's He Wood/ She Wood range.
    Agree here. Derby is such a classic that the Modernist bottle insults the inspiration. I would really be upset to see Mouchoir de Monsieur in a wooden bottle!

Capri, Cacio, Remik and Ken, thank you also for the comments.

I don't think people should generalise. I like to wear what I enjoy.
    And yet you started a thread soliciting other people's input. Ok then. Good luck with your meeting.

And yet you started a thread soliciting other people's input. Ok then. Good luck with your meeting.
    Thank you for the note.

Your avatar makes me think of the Bauer skates I tied on as a teenager.

Basenotes Plus

Derby would be an excellent choice.

Basenotes Plus

Hmmm, the wood on my bottle is pretty well polished and I don't have that splinter fear, but I can certainly see the similarity to DSquared bottles. I'm sort of on the more modern edge of the spectrum, my house is very angular, everything is designed with very clean lines, clean cuts, clean corners, so I kind of appreciate the new bottle design, even though it does seem simpler/less glamorous than the old one. This is the only Guerlain bottle I have with this design, but I can imagine if you also had Dandy, Voyou, and whatever else they have in that wooden design, and lined them up together, it would create an interesting modern visual, with the fragrance name on the side of each bottle to give you a clue as to which one to pull out from the bunch.

Personally, I think they could switch up the wooden bottles to the bottles they use for, for example Guerlain Parfum du 68 - it's in similar vein, very angular, tall and masculine, but without the wood that some people dislike. I'd be very happy with that design.

Bois d'Argent
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Hmmm, the wood on my bottle is pretty well polished and I don't have that splinter fear, but I can certainly see the similarity to DSquared bottles. I'm sort of on the more modern edge of the spectrum, my house is very angular, everything is designed with very clean lines, clean cuts, clean corners, so I kind of appreciate the new bottle design, even though it does seem simpler/less glamorous than the old one. This is the only Guerlain bottle I have with this design, but I can imagine if you also had Dandy, Voyou, and whatever else they have in that wooden design, and lined them up together, it would create an interesting modern visual, with the fragrance name on the side of each bottle to give you a clue as to which one to pull out from the bunch.

Personally, I think they could switch up the wooden bottles to the bottles they use for, for example Guerlain Parfum du 68 - it's in similar vein, very angular, tall and masculine, but without the wood that some people dislike. I'd be very happy with that design.
    My personal tastes tend to glass bottles. Call me a traditionalist in this respect.

I also don't like the Odori bottles. Wonderful scents (Tobacco and Cuoio) but I don't like the bottles.

I adore Dandy/Arsene Lupin, but I hide it in my cabinet. And it's one of my favourite scents.

@Jridgen, my SOTD is Bois d'Argent. I decanted some into a small vial last week.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting - I haven't tried any of the Odori fragrances yet - now you got my curiosity peaked (again!). At first glance, I have to say I don't mind their bottles - and yes, they have that same wood frame thing going on. I guess it's personal preference. I don't dislike them, I'm sort of indifferent, but I think I'm with you - I do like nice glasswork if and when possible. But there is some charm in mixing materials and sometimes even rare woods or showcasing interesting wood grains to get a somewhat different look from all other fragrances on the shelf. I'm kind of a "modern steampunk" guy, so the juxtapositions of wood, glass and fragrant liquid, works for me at a different level.

I did notice that Cuoio Odori is available in two different bottles, though - the other one seems to be more traditional round glass bottle...? They look just like Slumberhouse bottles, just different cap.

Voted Derby!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Derby's good because it's ".....not so loud that you don't know where it's coming from, not so quiet as to be easily outgunned......" Timbuktu has the same basic range. Sycomore is obviously excellent. Smells amazing, hard to tell just how good until you smell it on someone else. It's also a little more virile. I think it's excellent but my girlfriend with good taste hates Derby. Thinks it smells like old men at the parlor. The current version is a wonderful little soapy thing, intelligent and easy to wear. Hard to offend with it. Whatever. I'd probably wear Sycomore or Songe d'un Bois d'Ete. I'd wear any of these and a few more:

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
    Sycomore
    Bel Ami
    Timbuktu
    Derby
    Sagamore
    Pour Monsieur

Edit: Wore Guerlain Vetiver and didn't like it. Becomes shrill, piercing, unpleasant when you heat up. Used to be a great fragrance. Not so much anymore. Took that one off the list.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th February 2014 at 01:27 AM.

Scentologist and Pluran, thank you.

I actually have the reissue of Lancome Sagamore, 1740 and Guerlain Vetiver. I think on me the 1740 will be too strong.

It seems like and EDT might work for me in a business meeting room.

Sycomore is tasteful.

Now Derby and Sycomore are almost even in votes!

Depends on what kind of business it is.

I expect there was a 'business meeting' at Guerlain about the new bottles for Derby, Chamade Pour Homme, L'ame d'un Heros, etc

The upshot being -- WOOD = MEN

Derby

I expect there was a 'business meeting' at Guerlain about the new bottles for Derby, Chamade Pour Homme, L'ame d'un Heros, etc

The upshot being -- WOOD = MEN
    That may well be.

I really think the glass bee bottle for any gender's scent is elegant. It looks great on a dresser or vanity. It recalls the old days when people took the time (or HAD the time) to be absorbed in one's toilette.

And, although I like Coriolan, now sold as an exclusive under L'Ame d'Un Heros, even the wood bottle would be preferable to the old inverted lightbulb.

Of the choices above, Derby would be my pick.
    TBH, though, whenever I have a business meeting, I usually go with Guerlain LIDGE or Creed BdP.

Derby or Sycomore?

The votes are now in favour of Sycomore.

Derby or Sycomore?

The votes are now in favour of Sycomore.
    Whichever of the two you ultimately choose, you are sure to shine among all the members at the meeting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Whichever of the two you ultimately choose, you are sure to shine among all the members at the meeting.
    Thank you, hednic. Whatever transpires, at least I will smell nice!

I would say Derby - certainly it would be my choice from the list.

I think the wooden frame around the bottles thing Guerlain have done for the five 'masculines' is a bad joke - someone in marketing got a bit too excited. Ugly, uncomfortable to use, un-necessary and wasteful - tree killers.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I would say Derby - certainly it would be my choice from the list.

I think the wooden frame around the bottles thing Guerlain have done for the five 'masculines' is a bad joke - someone in marketing got a bit too excited. Ugly, uncomfortable to use, un-necessary and wasteful - tree killers.
    I agree 100%. Give me my bee bottle back!!