Code of Conduct
o

Default Strange Bedfellows: Kouros and - of all things - Lush/Gorrila Orange Blossom

Here's the thing: I got a packet in the post today to my workplace: 50ml of Kouros (in the slightly older, more civety, silver top & bottom flask) that I'd just bought from eBay "barely used". And yes, the first sniff of the bottle confirmed it: there had definitely been a Kouros-shaped hole in my life since I flogged my last supply (after hugely OD-ing on it) about a year ago. I stow it in my bag and cycle home but on the way, I pop into a charity shop for a mooch. What do I see on the shelf there but a little perfume stick of Gorilla (AKA Lush) 'Orange Blossom' perfume. Now I've not smelled this before so, like any self-respecting Basenoter would, I take an experimental snort. What do I smell? Well, I smell Kouros.

So I bought it, went home and looked it up on the forum:

Persolaise "If you've ever smelled orange flower absolute, you may well have been taken aback by its distinctly non-floral undertone: pungent and unabashedly animalic, it tends to conjure images of carnal couplings in locked bedrooms rather than innocent trysts in pretty orchards. Thankfully, this incredible raw material's adult side is allowed to take pride of place in Orange Blossom..."

Yep, that sure sounds like Kouros. And again:

verycharlie: "Wanted to try this after reading the positive reviews. Did so. Smells like pee. Floral, blossomy, slightly medicinal honeyed pee with staying power. Not for me, but it was interesting to try."

Yes, that really sounds like Kouros!

Trust me: if you have these around, do a side-by-side sniff - they are the absolute brother and sister of honeyed, citric, animalic, urinous, deep golden funk. Crazy.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Banned

Default Re: Strange Bedfellows: Kouros and - of all things - Lush/Gorrila Orange Blossom

Thanks. I'll bear it in mind.

Default Re: Strange Bedfellows: Kouros and - of all things - Lush/Gorrila Orange Blossom

My wife found the 'Orange Blossom' this morning. I find her in the kitchen going 'yum!' and rubbing it on her neck.
    'I could EAT this!', she said.
    'It smells just like Kouros', I said to her.
    'Nonsense', she said, 'Kouoros smells nasty and artificial and this smells like there are lots of essential oils in it. It smells natural!'.
    'Well, OK', I say, 'I'm glad you like it anyway...'.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's interesting! I thought this was going to be a thread about adding a bit of orange scent to Kouros, which I think could definitely work. I love Kouros! The only reason I don't own a bottle is because I struggle to wear my sample often enough to justify a purchase... but... man oh man, Kouros is good stuff.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Grey Vetiver EDP
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Aqua Universalis

Sounds like Lush Orange Blossom is similar to Creed Orange Spice. I though Creed just copied Kouros and named it Orange Spice for some strange reason. Make sense now since I guess orange flower absolute is animalic.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I guess orange flower absolute is animalic.
    If anything is the lesson from this, it's that.

(Though for me I can't fail to be interested in my wife's liking for the smell of the idea of 'essential oils'. (Though I guess this also raises the question of what Idea I think I'm smelling in Kouros...))

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    If anything is the lesson from this, it's that.

(Though for me I can't fail to be interested in my wife's liking for the smell of the idea of 'essential oils'. (Though I guess this also raises the question of what Idea I think I'm smelling in Kouros...))
    OK now Im wondering about Orange Blossom honey since honey is supposed to be one of the funky notes we are smelling in Kouros.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582