Code of Conduct

Default Recommendation for a novice

I'm new to all this so please bare with me. I currently don't wear cologne often. I bought some creed green irish tweed a long while back and enjoyed that, and then fell out of the habit of wearing cologne. I picked up a bottle of Royal Lime from brooks brothers recently, which I like, but it doesn't seem to last at all. I wear old spice deodorant, original scent. I bought a can of old spice wolfthorn on a whim, which lasts, but doesn't seem as sophisticated as I'd like. I'd describe my taste as pretty traditional (if thats not already clear). I like lime and sage. Rum and tobacco are also nice. I'm looking for a traditional masculine scent. For the time being, I'm looking for an everyday, all season solution as well. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!

Default Re: Recommendation for a novice

D&G "the one" exquisite scent and right up your alley , a caveat is that some do get terrible lasting power but thanks be that I get 10-12 + hrs with these beauty, so I would advise to visit sephora and get a sample decant(free from SA) and give a wholes day test drive and check how it blends with skin chemistry and see if its a marathon or 100 dash quality Amigo....
    Last edited by magnus611; 25th February 2014 at 08:10 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Speakeasy by Frapin sounds like it would be very much to your liking. By the way, welcome to you!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Two colognes on the cheaper end that come to mind right away.
    Burberry London (Tobbacco)
    Guerlain Homme (mint, Lime & rum)

L'Occitane Eau des Baux

+1 for Burberry London
    CK Shock
    Joop Wild (rum and tobacco)
    Dirty English

On the fresher side
    Michael Jordan-Michael Jordan
    Azzaro Chrome
    Eau du Sud/Eau d' Hadrian - both a little pricier but nice
    Eau Sauvage - an older scent but very versatile and quite nice if your skin chemistry agrees with it (it's one of my very faves of all times)

I prefer CK Shock and London in cooler weather, but they can go in warmer weather too if it's not too hot and applied less generously

Oh and I like the Wolfthorn too - they do make a cologne of it
    Last edited by Katana; 25th February 2014 at 11:18 PM.

I read about the suggestions thus far on this site. I'm going to look into Eau Sauvage, L'Occitane Eau des Baux, Burberry London, and
    Guerlain Homme.

Using the search function, I also found a few that match my criteria: Aramis, and Aramis Havana. Anybody know anything about these? I also found one called Derby Club House Ascot. I don't see any info at all about this one. All the above seem to have sage and tobacco, or sage and citrus.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

Aramis is certainly a classic and traditional. I like it a lot, it is an intense musky leather. Which means it is quite strong and (to some) dirtyish-and it could be heavy for the summer - so you want to check beforehand. It is sold in many stores, so it shouldn't be difficult.

The rest of the Aramis collection is also very solid, and mostly traditional, so it's something you should explore. Havana has some tobacco. But my favorites in the collection are Aramis 900 (spicy resinous) and Tuscany (herbal green).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

Aramis is certainly a classic and traditional. I like it a lot, it is an intense musky leather. Which means it is quite strong and (to some) dirtyish-and it could be heavy for the summer - so you want to check beforehand. It is sold in many stores, so it shouldn't be difficult.

The rest of the Aramis collection is also very solid, and mostly traditional, so it's something you should explore. Havana has some tobacco. But my favorites in the collection are Aramis 900 (spicy resinous) and Tuscany (herbal green).

cacio
    Thanks for the info. Any stores you like in the area? I'm around DC as well.

Also the speakeasy sounded interesting, but too rich for my blood without being able to smell it first.

Some stores that sold niche have closed, sadly. But for classics, no contest, Parfums de France in Tyson's mall (next to Macy's) cannot be beaten. All of the classics (including some old stocks, which aficionados usually prefer to the current version). If you go there, beyond the Aramis, you should check the Carons (Caron pour un homme, Troisieme Homme, and Yatagan), another superclassic trio that's still going strong.

For specific brands (eg the high price lines of Chanel, Dior, or niche Lutens and Diptyque) there are other places here and there, between downtown,Friendship Heights and Tysons. The Aramis collection (900. Havana, Tuscany) is also carried at some Macy's (eg Metro center) but not at many others.

cacio

Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

Try C O Bigelow Bay Rum, a relative bargain with excellent longevity.

Check out Terre D Hermes.

Tuscany for 'traditional' and won't break the bank

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    Thanks for the info. Any stores you like in the area? I'm around DC as well.

Also the speakeasy sounded interesting, but too rich for my blood without being able to smell it first.
    There are many places you can get samples from.
    I would suggest:
    -ebay
    -luckyscent
    -The Perfumed Court

There are many other places to get samples, but for the sake of simplicity, I would start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    +1 for Burberry London
    CK Shock
    Joop Wild (rum and tobacco)
    Dirty English

On the fresher side
    Michael Jordan-Michael Jordan
    Azzaro Chrome
    Eau du Sud/Eau d' Hadrian - both a little pricier but nice
    Eau Sauvage - an older scent but very versatile and quite nice if your skin chemistry agrees with it (it's one of my very faves of all times)

I prefer CK Shock and London in cooler weather, but they can go in warmer weather too if it's not too hot and applied less generously

Oh and I like the Wolfthorn too - they do make a cologne of it
    If you're truly looking for something masculine, I can't stress enough how little the first list here is, to me. I find everything sweet disgustingly feminine, the top 4 here are just that.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I bought some samples and wrote up my thoughts. If anyone is interested, click here for more info and pics:

http://bonvivantva.com/?p=992

What's with the 'embarrassingly effeminate' link on the blog?
    Could you explain please - I'm probably missing something?
    Last edited by lpp; 14th March 2014 at 06:21 PM.

I hope its not offended anyone. The blog is supposed to have a very manly slant. Anything on the less manly (though still manly) side, is effeminate in the context of the rest of the posts. Is wanting to smell good effeminate? I suppose not, but I think many would argue that it is. Far less will argue that hunting (also on the blog) is effeminate. I'm obviously interested in cologne, and would not want to offend anyone here. As for the word, "embarrassingly", that was really only used to diffuse those that would make fun of me for posting about, say, interior design or taking a me day (other posts in said category). If I was truly embarrassed or ashamed of posts in those categories, I would not post them. Its more of a joke. Hopefully, one that has not offended anyone.

Thanks for the info., rustyshakleford - was just wondering!