Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default If a scent is discontinued, how much is enough?

I am new to experiencing a lot of different perfumes; for years I had a "signature" scent and two or three others that I used occasionally. Now, I have got quite a few bottles and have the sense that I have enough to last quite some time. However, I have fallen in love with a discontinued scent which is still readily available and not too expensive. I already have 15ml. I wear it about once a week and am wondering if I should buy more before it becomes more scarce/expensive. For those of you who are more experienced, do you stock up on more-loved fragrances, or do new loves come along and push the older ones out of frequent wear?

Default Re: If a scent is discontinued, how much is enough?

I have some that have been stocked up - if you really like something a lot it makes sense to buy some back-ups imo.
    If you decide that you don't need the back-ups at a later date & they've been discontinued/altered they should easily find buyers

Stock up.

15ml is very little and it will last no time. Usually, one always regrets not having gotten such and such when still available, and is later forced not to wear just because there's none anymore. Ebay cannot be counted upon, and sometimes, even if it exists, prices can get high. So get at least two extra bottles.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

As Ipp and cacio mentioned, I have also stocked up my favorite scents either due to future price spike, discontinuation, limited distribution, or restriction of ingredients. I have stocked up at least 2 bottles of 100ml for each favorite scent and I have been very happy thus far with all of my backup bottles.

edit---

My favorite scents in this case are scents that I really love, wear quite often, with great versatility in almost all situations. So those are the ones I bought extras. In my experience, I can only find around 3 favorite or so out of 100 scents I try. So yes, there are unique and excellent ones that I also love but I don't buy backups due to limited versatility. I also agree that there will always be great scents coming out but whether I will be able to find a favorite is yet to be determined. For now, my risk averse self tells me to stock it up
    Last edited by CapriDog; 25th February 2014 at 11:59 PM.

I have stocked up on one special fragrance in a big way as it's no longer made like it was, but other than that one, there are so many other good ones that have come along to take center stage so that I no longer feel that necessity of stocking up on a particular scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

With the amount of different scents I use, 2 100ml backups should last a lifetime for me. Even if I do use them up, it's not the end of the world, there's plenty of other great scents out there.

That said, 15ml is not very much. Definitely grab a couple bottles while you still can.

Which fragrance is it you've fallen in love with?

Absolutely you should buy a couple of backups in 100ml size at least. If it's something you really love. You'll be able to sell it later if you decide you no longer need it.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

For years, you had a signature scent. Perfect! That makes this easy to figure out!

How long did a bottle last when you were only wearing that one scent?

How often do you wear the scent you're thinking about buying backups of?

A 100ml bottle with a normal sprayer (in other words, not a crazy strong Creed PWWSHSHSHSHSHHH sprayer) easily lasts me a year if I wear it every day. So, if I only wear that particular scent once a week, it will easily last me 7 years.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 25th February 2014 at 09:51 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Personally, I have gotten backups of a few fragrances that are either discontinued or I fear will be discontinued or even reformulated. I feel that stockpiling many bottles of one fragrance will lose its magic for you. I say maybe stockpile a few bottles and use them sparingly knowing that there will be a day that you may never see it again. I think this will make you appreciate the fragrance much more in the moment than if you just stockpiled a ton of bottles. That's just my view and this may not work for you.

First basenotes post ever (Yay! What's up Basenotes!)

I'll toss in a different opinion. There are constantly new and fantastic scents being made. The options are endless, and as a result, I've never felt the need or desire to stock up on bottles at all. That's just my personal taste in buying fragrances. Will I miss Egoiste Cologne Concentree or Vintage Antaeus when I run out? Yeah most likely, but that just gives me opportunity to try something else out. For the discontinued frags I have that I love, I'll probably always keep a minuscule amount just for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    First basenotes post ever (Yay! What's up Basenotes!)

I'll toss in a different opinion. There are constantly new and fantastic scents being made. The options are endless, and as a result, I've never felt the need or desire to stock up on bottles at all. That's just my personal taste in buying fragrances. Will I miss Egoiste Cologne Concentree or Vintage Antaeus when I run out? Yeah most likely, but that just gives me opportunity to try something else out.....
    I actually operate the same way. That's because I like variety. So between newer fragrances, and future fragrances that haven't even been released, I know I'll be kept busy. Not to mention the bottles I already own of fragrances that I love.

I feel that I already own so many fragrances that it's hard to justify buying a new bottle of something different.

Depends where in the discontinuation lifecycle the product is. Towards the beginning... sure stock up a few large bottles. Toward the middle or the end of total availability even on eBay, you have to justify the price and decide if it's worth it or do you find something similar for half the cost...or even purchase a decant if possible.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Since you only have 15ml, I would say buy a bottle. Any size, you decide what you need. Other than that, I imagine most of us wear multiple fragrances enough to not have to back up too much. It is a personal preference and comfort level.

Actually, the way things are going with constant reformulations, I sometimes even stock up when I find a formulation I like of a scent that is still in production. If I really love it, I might buy a few bottles.

3 bottles max. All depends on how much I really like a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you all for your wise advice and opinions. I went ahead and bought another 45ml. It is parfum so I think that 60 ml total will last a while.

Blog Entries

Figure out how long you intend to live and plan accordingly. Chances are you'll find a bunch of other 'signature scents' in the meantime though, so you need to have money and room for them, too. It's a conundrum, for sure! I have no clue. I'm still working on this.

but Foxbins!!!! What is it!?? We're all dying to know.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

I didn't say what it was, did I? Danieq, if you like animalic notes, you must try Cartier Panthere--the parfum is loaded with civet, a note I love, and that's what I bought. I don't know about the edt or edp, but the parfum is wonderful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I didn't say what it was, did I? Danieq, if you like animalic notes, you must try Cartier Panthere--the parfum is loaded with civet, a note I love, and that's what I bought. I don't know about the edt or edp, but the parfum is wonderful.
    Yay! I just got a back-up of this, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kumquat; 26th February 2014 at 08:10 PM.

I do not stock up because there's always something new and exciting to buy.

Depends entirely on what it is.

i have stocked up on several because I know EU restrictions are such that a decent alternative simply will not be made again commercially.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I have some that have been stocked up - if you really like something a lot it makes sense to buy some back-ups imo.
    If you decide that you don't need the back-ups at a later date & they've been discontinued/altered they should easily find buyers
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Stock up.

15ml is very little and it will last no time. Usually, one always regrets not having gotten such and such when still available, and is later forced not to wear just because there's none anymore. Ebay cannot be counted upon, and sometimes, even if it exists, prices can get high. So get at least two extra bottles.

cacio
    This is the way to prevent regrets. Don't use it for a summer fling - don't use it for a new but uncertain love. Use it for something you can't bear to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by chypre View Post
    Actually, the way things are going with constant reformulations, I sometimes even stock up when I find a formulation I like of a scent that is still in production. If I really love it, I might buy a few bottles.
    Agreed. You can always sell it later and make somebody very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Figure out how long you intend to live and plan accordingly. Chances are you'll find a bunch of other 'signature scents' in the meantime though, so you need to have money and room for them, too. It's a conundrum, for sure! I have no clue. I'm still working on this.
    I agree - this is a problem where the answer constantly changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I do not stock up because there's always something new and exciting to buy.
    This is the angel on one shoulder......

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Depends entirely on what it is.

i have stocked up on several because I know EU restrictions are such that a decent alternative simply will not be made again commercially.
    ..... and this is the devil, reading the fine print of IFRA and EU regulations, on my other.

Depends on how many perfumes you own. If many, a couple backups are of a beloved perfume is sufficient. If it's your signature scent, buy them ALL.

2-3 maximum size bottles (100 ml, 125, 200 ml and beyond) usually do the trick, especially if the fragrance strength is EDT or higher, also if the fragrance is within a regular rotation and gets regular yet not so frequent wearing.

It will vary person to person and scent to scent. I have back-ups of 2 or 3 scents, and I'll most probably never use them, so I do try to refrain these days.

That said, as others have mentioned, 15ml really isn't much - I'm not sure I'd even class a 100ml bottle on top of that as a 'back up', as such.

foxbins, I fell in love with Panthère de Cartier, too, and bought 50ml of the EDT. Have yet to decide about backups, so thanks for raising this. By hauling in samples and sniffing more or less systematically, I've built a wardrobe of good scents. You've inspired me to identify my true favorites for backing up. Knowing Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie will always be a favorite, I did back it up, only to discover the current version is a shade of its former self. Disappointing (deciding to investigate getting a bottle direct from Paris). Maybe that suggests backing up any scent truly adored.

I think 200ml should be enough for me and an emergency 50ml backup. Even if I really like a scent after 100mls, I know I will be bored of it.

Having collected frags for 40+ years, I have had some experience with salting away a few extras. My limit to stocking up on a discontinued scent is either 2 bottles of 100ml or larger, or 3 bottles of 50ml or smaller.

Remember that fragrance is a physical formulation. It will start to deteriorate no matter how well stored it is. Take from someone who has had a couple of unpleasant surprises when un-tombing a vintage pleasure. I was never sorry to have bought the 2 or 3 bottles, but I've been sorry the few times I went over my self-imposed limit.

1ml is about ten sprays.

If you did ten sprays a day, a 100ml would last you a hundred days or 3 months.

for swap/sale: