Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that made you react physically

I read on a thread here just now someone describing how their jaw literally dropped the first time they smelled L'Air du Desert Marocain.

This reminded me of how I involuntarily laughed out loud the first time I sprayed on Dzing! as though I'd been told an irresistible joke.

What fragrances have made you laugh/cry/gasp/gag etc?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Fragrances that made you react physically

Pell Wall's 'Gin & Lime' made me really smile the first time that I wore it

Aramis always triggers my gag reflex.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Interlude Man literally made my jaw drop, and my eyes open really wide. I remember staring at the bottle, absolutely amazed. Very few scents have ever made me react so strongly. The woman at the fragrance counter who'd handed me a cotton ball sprayed with Interlude giggled at my reaction. When she sprayed the cotton ball, I remember she said something like "We just got this recently and I think it's beautiful." I smelled it and thought "Are you kidding me? Beautiful? This isn't beautiful. This is badass!!!" I'm pretty sure the only thing I actually managed to say was "Wow."
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

A*Men Pure Havane made me go "Oh, wow" the first time I sampled it. As a result, I purchased a bottle when it was re-released back in 2012.

Frapin 1270 made me smile when I dabbed from the samples I got from Luckyscent; I transferred to an atomizer so I can enjoy it even more when I do a full spray.

When my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I sampled Silver Mountain Water, we made eye-contact, smiled at each other, then she made an approving nod. I purchased a bottle after saving up.

Noir de Noir, Espresso Royale, Norne, New Haarlem, Batucuda, and Chergui floored me when I had it.

Basenotes Plus

Poivre 23 - Heavenly smell
    Tea for Two - Damn, you're fine
    Live Jazz - a bad synthetic note grates my esophagus

Basenotes Member

Cartier roadster makes me gag every time, and I'm not sure why.

Sometimes I get ill when smelling Midnight in Paris, but I have to be already ill.

Smelling SL Sarrasins makes me smile and inhale.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Leather Oud did it for me. Face frowned instantly.

Oud Wood...let me quote my initial reaction , when it first came out " what is this, and where have you been all my life" and did a cartwheel after that...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Espresso Royale
    Not many reviews on this one. Is the rum note in it very strong , or is the scent mostly dominated by coffee beans ?
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Blog Entries

I was amazed (not sure if I gasped exactly) when I first tried Caron-Tabac Blond. ​It was my first New York perfume purchase.

I didn't stop gagging when I tried Black Afgano until I scrubbed it off. I was very close to throwing up. Now, on the other end of the spectrum...if I remember correctly, the 1st time I tried M7 I couldn't wipe the $h!t-eating grin off of my face. I'd say that was the experience that made me realize what perfumery could be.
    Last edited by cwill; 26th February 2014 at 07:48 PM.

Tried House of Matriarch Blackbird yesterday, it made my eyebrows raise as if I found something new and extremely interesting. I'm going to make way in my collection for this financially and physically lol.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Gag: P.S. by Paul Sebastian

A Men - I threw up when I first smelled it and had to shower. Even then I awoke at 3am in the morning and I could still smell it and had to take another shower to rid myself of the god awful stench.

Gaiac - Got the gag reflex.

Amouage Homage - Stunned at the beauty of this one. Totally intoxicating.

Green Irish Tweed - First niche I smelled after years of designer scents. Got that WoW factor.

Blog Entries

Wow, lots of puking!

Hello,

my first jawdropping experience in the good way i had with "Tauer/Incense Rose".
    For me its one of a kind.The rose is dewy, mouthwatering and lasts for ages.
    Once i applied it prior a bicycle-tour in hot summer everytime i got sweaty the rose came to life again and stayed the whole trip.
    In the drydown one can smell the strong frankincense and i think the frankincense is a very good fixating agent also for the middlennotes.

my newest findings:
    Heeley Coccobello:
    no overpowered cocos, very nice watery and smooth and if i could smell right i determine a slight pinch of galbanum.

NVC Ashoka:
    very smooth and floury to me with some spices, but i get mainly the impression of carrot-seeds,which i like.
    There is also something very slight soapy to me but so well balanced i have to like.
    In the woody direction also detectable but still not overpowering.

NVC Bombay-Bling:
    this i truly love, at the start you smell mango, you smell lychee, you smell pineapple, also apricot and this fruitnotes lasts very long.
    Also there is something lactonic, milky in it that reminds me of velvety apricots.

With these 3 testsamples(couldn't afford the whole bottles at the moment which will be all about 600$) i had an experience of the 4th dimension, cause time and space changed.
    As i usually do i place new teststrips in my sleeping-room and mainly leave the room until i go to sleep.

As all 3 of them smell really good to me i know i would be pleased to go to bed and smell them again.
    Opened the door made 2 steps in and i freezed immediately.
    I really couldn't go because my brain was working at 120percent...what the heck is that...?
    You know the movie "das Parfum" in which Grenouille mixes a better Amor-Psyche and gave it to Monsieur Baldini.
    For me the pure beauty was going on and please don't laugh at me i didn't know if i should cry in awe or laugh in happiness.

I had everything, the fruit-galore from the Bombay,the slight watery cocos from the coccobello and to counter the very natural fruits and slightly sweet lactonics in came the carrot-seed impression.

Till this one experience i never touched the samples again cause i know with every spray this magic will get less and less.
    I know the power of them in my head and store them for special occasions.

Greetings:

Hondo

Tobacco Vanille... made me think "wow, if something can smell this good, I need to know what else is out there." Not a physical reaction, but me subsequently grabbing my wallet to splurge on more samples was.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I was amazed (not sure if I gasped exactly) when I first tried Caron-Tabac Blond. ​It was my first New York perfume purchase.
    Oh, me too! I bought it when the boutique was still at Madison Ave (that boutique was so beautiful), it is my only instant purchase, ever. Ok, no, my only instant purchase that didn't end up in someone else's hands.

Also... Dzongkha- I think I laughed in disbelief, "This smells exactly like joss sticks".

Bois de Copaiba- Gasp. "I know this! I know this! Wait, this is so familiar!... L'Heure Bleue!" (that would be pre-reformulation LHB when it was both weird and wonderful).

Prada Candy- Recoiled in horror (I was expecting something elegant due to the positive reviews, but got basically perfumed caramel).

Apart from some minor headaches due to some unidentified fragrances when I was six- did no wear fragrances back then, but "passive exposure", as with smoking, was enough to unbalance me- (could not even determine nor remember whether the fragrance was niche or designer, male or female etc.), luckily no allergies or adverse reactions ever since.

A*Men pure havane: recoiled in disgust. I made (what i can only imagine) was the ugliest face ever known to man. Fortunately, nobody saw it. Including myself.

TF Tuscan Leather: Stood there staring at the decant for at least 30 seconds contemplating how something can smell so good. It had such a positive effect on my mental state that i literally might have hallucinated.

I was in Printemps department store, Paris last summer, shopping for a friend and new to perfume so was trying everything. I smelled Kurkdjian's Oud Silk Mood and burst into great rolling tears. I was profoundly moved and it will be my primary functioning memory of summer in Paris for the rest of my life. I bought a bottle. Still can't believe it-but so glad I did.

Dior Leather Oud - Initially, I was thinking...wow how could anyone say this stinks. The the blast of fecal matter and smell of stale cigarettes hit my nose. WALKED PRETTY FAST TO THE SINK. I believe this is the only fragrance I've scrubbed.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

The first time I smelled Dior Fahrenheit back in '92-'93 when I was a kid- It was one of those scented adverts in a car magazine... That page stayed with me for a few years...even though I couldn't smell much from it after a while!

I'm not sure if this story even counts for this thread, but here goes.

There are certain classics I feel like I need to smell. One day, I spotted Grey Flannel at Ross for just a few bucks, so I figured, why not. I had a good idea of what I thought it would smell like. I got home, whipped it out of the bag it came in, sprayed it on my arm and... OH, WHOA OH EW OHGODOHWHOA. And off to the sink I went to scrub that stuff off.

Once I opened that stupid Geoffrey Beene bag, common sense should have told me the bottle was the wrong color. But, no. I'd mistakenly bought Ew de Grey Flannel. And, no, that wasn't a typo. Ew ew ew.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Positive:

1st time I wore by Kilian Incense Oud was right before I went to bed. It kept me up most of the night - I found it so enchanting that I was not able to sleep.

Negative:

Xerjoff Zafar - I was not sure what my exact reaction was, but it needed to get off me - immediately.

Dior Leather Oud - I still chuckle when I sniff my sample (I'm not really interested in putting it on me anymore - I fell for that trick twice). Just don't understand why people want to smell like a petting zoo.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

Two memorable physical experiences:

Sahara Noir: instant nausea; literal gag

Original Santal: instant bliss; eyes roll back in head bliss

Basenotes Plus

All of the below made me instantly close my eyes and just sigh.Constant nose to wrist action throughout the day:
    Kobe
    Pure Distance M
    Interlude Man
    Ambre 114
    Black Afgano
    Pure Malt
    Tribute Attar
    Carnal Flower
    Bois du Portugal
    A*men
    Pure Distance Black
    Red Aoud

The following forced me to wash it off as soon as I put it on my skin:
    Dreamer disgusting opening and mid. great drydown though
    Hinoki nauseating
    Fahrenheit 32 nauseatingly sweet
    Taste of Fragrance gave me hearburn believe it or not
    Bleu de Chanel smelled like cat pee on my skin
    Chypre Palatin Too much for me, but I am revisiting it because I believe it was because I wasnt expecting what I got
    Burberry Touch Nauseating
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I have an odd reaction to certain perfumes. Any Clinique perfumes and most drugstore scents make my face and nose hurt. It's not the fragrance itself but the perfume base used to manufacture them. I've never quite nailed down what the exact name of the base is. Do you any of you know what it could be?

One man show gold... revolting, putrid and suffocating

Joop! Homme... Pretty much the same as above but include feminine.

Ferrari Silver Essence... made me feel like I was being cuddled by the most attentive woman to have existed. I literally wrap my arms around myself and snuggle into my clothing every time I apply it.

Caron's Tuberose extrait made me want to push my nose deeper into the 1,500ml metal canister it is stored in.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I've had a near panic attack and had to suppress a 'fight or flight' reflex when trapped with women wearing Giorgio of Beverly Hills. ​One was my Mother-in-law who wore it constantly and the other was once when I sat next to an older woman in a movie. She had been smoking cigarettes and had doused herself in the stuff. Her attempt to cover the smoke smell had failed and the overwhelming smell was dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
    I have an odd reaction to certain perfumes. Any Clinique perfumes and most drugstore scents make my face and nose hurt. It's not the fragrance itself but the perfume base used to manufacture them. I've never quite nailed down what the exact name of the base is. Do you any of you know what it could be?
    Just stumbling about this thread.

There is a widespread ingredient in perfumes and cosmetics called 'Hexyl Cinnamal' which is known for frequently causing allergic reactions. This is not only used in cheap perfumes and cosmetics, but also in the most expensive ones. You could find out by dermatological tests.

Default Fragrances that made you react physically

Mistral patchouli

It makes me throw up

acqua di parma oud makes me wanna kiss who ever is wearing it

When I was just starting to explore perfumes, one of the first I tried was Feminité du Bois. As the cedar note emerged I started getting very nauseous and headachy. I put up with it for an hour and then had to scrub. To this day, just the thought of that smell makes me gag.
    On the other hand the first time I ever smelled Après l'Ondée at the Guerlain counter I kind of did an olfactory double-take. I bought a bottle five minutes later.

Only a few have achieved this effect on me. Aventus, blu De Mediterranean, and Tuscan leather. The best scents I have ever smelled

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lots of perfumes cause headaches. And I feel somehow depressed after a longer sampling session.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush

This morning I put on Molinard de Molinard. Soon after, I started sneezing, nose was running, eyes were watering, I was gasping for breath. I could really feel my respiratory tract swelling.

I realised after a while that all this was caused by the perfume. So I took a shower to wash it off, and felt better soon.
    Molinard de Molinard made a beeline for the bin.

No ELdO Secretions? Cliche but total metallic bilge note will induce gag reflex in 7 out of 10 people. I love ELdO in general but Rien is sinister as well. L'air de Rien from Miller Harris makes my stomach cringe and a few from Slumberhouse do the same.
    Scents that make me crazy in love: Bois d'Orage, Carnal Flower, Portrait of a Lady, Interlude Man, Invasion Barbare/1725, and Tonka Imperiale.
    Last edited by Indagnacious; 1st April 2014 at 05:59 AM.

One whiff of Chanel Eau Tendre on my girl and I'm ready for sexy time.

(The physical reaction in this situation should be fairly obvious.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    One whiff of Chanel Eau Tendre on my girl and I'm ready for sexy time.

(The physical reaction in this situation should be fairly obvious.)
    I like that one, too. I know a lady who wears it, and it's always great to walk down the hall by her office!

Guerlain's Boisé Torride is also a very "steamy" scent. It's a bit like Dior Addict EDP - a kind of booze-and-perfume-and-wood vibe that evokes the idea of a night out.

Ambre Soie almost killed me. When I sniffed my arm my head swung back so fast it almost broke my neck.

Puredistance M puts me in a euphoric state.

Silver Mountain Water: makes me shiver, this scent is totally unique, love it.

The old version of Tuscany is still very special, strong stuff.

In the other way: Sables from AG makes me wanna puke, as well as some Lutens...

Yesterday I've tested Noir Gabardine and Jesus I was this close to puke.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Plus

Tuscan Leather made me say out aloud 'What the F... is this?' and not in a good way.

Secretions Magnifique made me a bit annoyed

Soleil de Capri made me smile, my wife asked what was funny - I explained and she looked at me confused

If I smell Kouros I am physically sick due to a combination of hating the scent and having a bad drunken experience as a 15 year old where the lasting memory was Kouros

Back in the 80s I had a huge recoil of disgust at Poison, which was unfortunate because thousands of women doused themselves in the stuff for the whole decade and sharing a room with any of them became a genuinely uncomfortable experience.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'