Code of Conduct

Default Do scents really not last long... or do wearers not just smell them?

Most common complaint I see in reviews is that a scent doesn't last long enough. Q: Do scents actually not last (no molecules) or do wearers just no longer perceive the scents (accommodation of olfactory receptors/nerves)? For example, some scents I swear I can't smell after 1/2 hour, but people around me can still smell them if I inquire. And there is always that one person in the office who seems to bathe in fragrance -- apparently oblivious to the huge amount of scent they are putting out.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Do scents really not last long... or do wearers not just smell them?

Maybe olfactory fatigue is to blame.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Do scents really not last long... or do wearers not just smell them?

Hi bmn - there's a useful 'Sticky' thread in our Just Starting Out' section which has loads of info.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...BOUT-Fragrance

We'll move this thread over there so that other new members can see it too

Thanks.

In my case I'd say it's probably a little of both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Maybe olfactory fatigue is to blame.

Both.

In my case, mostly olfactory fatigue. Because even when I go heavy on the sprayer/splash up to being overpowering to almost anyone else, it may still happen that I can, at times, barely sense the fragrance after a while.

It depends on the fragrance but in my case, I feel like it's a little bit of both.

I'd say that apart from a few fragrances which are indeed underperforming (or things like citrusy colognes), the effect is usually olfactory fatigue. I recommend everyone try the experiment of spraying less, especially if you're a heavier sprayer, and even better after taking a week or so off from a particular fragrance. If nothing else the results are interesting.

Both. Fatigue sux, but it happens frequently.
    For me, when I say a scent doesn't last, I'm saying it lacks silage and projecting for long enough. It turns to a skin scent too soon and that's not something I accept.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

A little of both but if you're spraying a spritz or two, how are you expecting to smell anything after an hour.

for swap/sale:

It's a little bit of both but it also has to do with the molecules. Some people are anosmic to certain smells. Also, certain molecules may block your smell receptors and may not be able to detect them after a while. I've noticed this with Creed's MI.
    http://ScentBound.com
    Exploring the Art of Smelling Good

"If a fragrance is too perfect or too pretty, it becomes boring. Fragrances – like people – have to have some kind of imperfection." - Frederic Malle

In my cases, sheer I left such reviews, it was more a matter of the fragrance turning into a skin scent too quickly. Once it's that low in projection and silage, I write it off.

So it could be both, or either, or merely an exaggeration based on what one desires or demands from a scent they consider worthy.

Olfactory fatigue is meant to be something that sets in for most people after three or four days of wearing the same scent, not on the same day one puts it on.

Some scents just don't last long, and it doesn't matter whether you spray them on the back of your hand or on a piece of paper, they are pretty much gone after a few hours.

Some scents will be gone on the back of your hand, but will still be on the paper - that's your skin doing them in.

Some scents just become skin scents after a few hours. I can only detect them by pressing my nose against the skin. Others may still detect them as something very light you are wearing, but at nothing like the full effect when you first put them on.

And then there are some curious scents which behaved very weirdly on me, such as Gucci Rush and Jill Sander Pure Man. I put them on, they are great for two hours and then totally disappear. But anywhere up to 10 to 12 hours later, if I perspire or put water on them , they get reactivated and come back like rockets. Plainly that can't be olfactory fatigue, or I shouldn't have been able to smell them later.
    Regards,
    Renato

I really just ask because of a few observations:
    1) I swear my scent is week or non-existent after an hour or two, but my wife gets after me because she says the smell is so strong she can taste it. This is doubly so if I apply more -- I can smell it then, but my better half starts to gasp.
    2) There is always that person who wears a super strong scent in the office or wherever, but obviously have no idea how they are overpowering everyone with their scent. Just today walked by such a person, but a sweet woman I used to work with always smelled strongly of high-end perfumes. People used to make comments about it while she wasn't around and debate whether or not to tell her. Talk about silage -- hers was a mile long. Not sure what she wore, but it was a powerful floral.
    3) Glade makes plugins that alternate so that people can still smell the scent (yeah, I just gave that as a bonafide reason)
    4) Going away from your house and coming back after 5 days is an interesting smell experiment
    5) It is adaptive to be able to remove background smells to enhance detection of the scent of anything new that might come into your environment -- a predictor, food, etc.

My hunch is that a lot of what people here call "skin scents" and "poor longevity" are anything but. I just wanted to know if anyone had some real data one way or the other, rather than just personal experience.
    Last edited by bmn; 22nd March 2014 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    My hunch is that a lot of what people here call "skin scents" and "poor longevity" are anything but. I just wanted to know if anyone had some real data one way or the other, rather than just personal experience.
    I don't think that is generally the case, but may occasionally be so.

You can make your own real world data - spray scents you think disappear on you onto paper.
    Go back and smell the paper with your wife every couple of hours.
    Then repeat the test on the back of your hand, and you and your wife test it every couple of hours.
    Regards,
    Renato