Code of Conduct

Default Why do people give compliments on the fragrance you are wearing?

Do people give compliments on a fragrance because a) they genuinely like it or b) they smell it and comment on it just because they detect it?

Kind of thinking of things like Le Male and A*Men here. These are super powerful and give a lot of people headaches. And A*Men more so than Le Male is a scent that many people dislike. But yet, they seem to garner compliments.

Do you think A or B is more commonly the case?

Default Re: Why do people give compliments on the fragrance you are wearing?

I vote for A. I think they truly want to give a genuine compliment.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

No idea???? But then I don't care if I get compliments or not, don't think about it. If I do get one its a pleasant surprise and I just say "Thank you." Then think no more about it.
    DONNA

The answer is either A or B, and it's your job to figure out which is correct. The louder the scent, the greater the odds they're acknowledging it rather than complimenting it, because loud scents get noticed more.

One of my all time favorite scents is Interlude Man by Amouage. Holy cow, that stuff is loud. I'm smart enough to know that some of the compliments I receive are actually just people acknowledging that they noticed it. Some of the compliments are genuine though, but some aren't. On the other hand, it seems that compliments on more subtle scents like Gucci Pour Homme II are more often genuine compliments. The scent isn't loud, so people can notice it, but it doesn't demand to be noticed.

With loud scents, you're going to get a lot more false compliments that are actually just acknowledgements. If you pay attention, you'll notice that people do this with clothing too. Really loud clothing, shoes or glasses will get compliments that aren't really compliments. "Nice shoes" might actually mean "What the heck are you wearing?" if your something like this.

...but I'm sure there are people who see those and think "Hey, those are great!" So... it's wise to take a compliment with a grain of salt.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The answer is either A or B, and it's your job to figure out which is correct. The louder the scent, the greater the odds they're acknowledging it rather than complimenting it, because loud scents get noticed more.

One of my all time favorite scents is Interlude Man by Amouage. Holy cow, that stuff is loud. I'm smart enough to know that some of the compliments I receive are actually just people acknowledging that they noticed it. Some of the compliments are genuine though, but some aren't. On the other hand, it seems that compliments on more subtle scents like Gucci Pour Homme II are more often genuine compliments. The scent isn't loud, so people can notice it, but it doesn't demand to be noticed.

With loud scents, you're going to get a lot more false compliments that are actually just acknowledgements. If you pay attention, you'll notice that people do this with clothing too. Really loud clothing, shoes or glasses will get compliments that aren't really compliments. "Nice shoes" might actually mean "What the heck are you wearing?" if your something like this.

...but I'm sure there are people who see those and think "Hey, those are great!" So... it's wise to take a compliment with a grain of salt.
    Great shoes! I like them. I like my exercisewear to be fun and energetic!

As they say in French, "It's not Mardi Gras today." LOL!

Good point about the truth of compliments. I would watch for the body language, too.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would say because they genuinely like it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

they like the scent and that includes you the human being
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

I wouldn't give a compliment for any fragrance if I don't genuinely like it or it doesn't smell nice.

If a someone shouts "nice fragrance!" from across the room to you, they are simply saying that you are wearing too much. Especially if they mumble something right after...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

They like the way it smells.

Because they have good taste

Most people won't say a thing unless they actually like it, IMO. Though sometimes you'll get a backhanded compliment, but I don't think it's the norm. I find it more common that if they dislike it, they remain very silent. But I read people well, so that not be obvious to everyone.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I'm sure it's a little bit of both. My family is always honest. My husband only compliments a perfume when he really likes it. My kids will tell me honestly what they think if I ask them. As for the extended family, they are ruthless.

I don't tend to wear loud scents, and so I don't get many unsolicited comments myself. But if someone I know is wearing something I don't like, I still will say how nice it smells on them. So I don't doubt that certain number of compliments must be prompted more out of curiosity ("what is that awful perfume I smell?) or politeness.

Quote: "Kind of thinking of things like Le Male and A*Men here. These are super powerful and give a lot of people headaches. And A*Men more so than Le Male is a scent that many people dislike. But yet, they seem to garner compliments."

My response:

Really , really ! LeMale in same category as Amen...Wow
    lemale is a docile/enchanting scent to senses with lavender/mint and a smoooth vanilla note in the blend as they come. IMHO it is the farthest from offensive as it gets but the opposite and I live NYC where you propably practically live amongst people from every corner of the earth and this juice is not only a classic but ladies love it from my experience wearing it and from others that I know of......Now TM Amen could be harsh if over sprayed but it is one of those love it or hate it frags and could translate to being an obtrusive of a fragrance.....btw any fragrance can be spoil by over spraying maybe that's why you nominated LeMale in this thread and from experience the only frag you can't basically to an EXTENT over spray is L'Humaniste .......peace
    Last edited by magnus611; 26th February 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

I more or less agree.
    Often a compliment will be a reaction to really noticing something, the response could be "are you wearing aftershave ?" or perhaps if someone is feeling kindly disposed towards the world " you smell nice" or whatever.
    It can also just be a way of making safe conversation.