Code of Conduct

Default Atomiser vs dropper/dabber

As per title ... Curious as to everyone's preferences for application?
    What is the most efficient ( in terms of minimising excess ) , particularly when one is mixing fragrances ( I don't do this often, but I have three Tom Ford private blends now that can work really well together ). Would using a dropper mean that the potential for evaporation is increased whenever you open the bottle to the air?

Default Re: Atomiser vs dropper/dabber

Its possible to spray only a minute amount at a time and let it dribble out of the sprayer in drops instead of full spraying- its less bother than jimmying open the bottle and mucking about with droppers and all that fussiness. Of course, there is bound to be more evaporation in opening a bottle completely, than in a spray bottle, and if you're dunking in other applicators such as droppers, more liquid will cling to its surface, likely resulting in more wastage and evaporation. And of course there's the added risk of spilling it when you're messing around with it like this. There is also the near certainty that you will contaminate the bottled liquid with all the opening and plunging droppers in and out. Dust and airborne foreign particles floating in your precious juice...

Ask yourself if you really need to be modifying your application like this, or if its just an overwrought concept. If you are thinking of transferring a mix of a few scents into a separate bottle you also have to consider the possibility that marinating them together may not result in the same mix you would get from spraying your mixture as you go.

I often mix my scents and do just fine with spraying as I go. I find dabbing is only useful for extraits given their concentration or when studying the behaviour of notes when crushed instead of sprayed.

I prefer atomizer. Hands down.

Atomizer would be my preference.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The amount of air entering a splash bottle or a spray bottle is equal to the amount of liquid expelled.However with a splash bottle the act of turning it over or to horizontal does expose more of the surface of the remaining liquid to the air in the bottle for a very short time. Don't forget that it is still the same amount of air transferred to each bottle. The only difference is shaking or flipping the splash bottle might offer more of the surface area of the liquid to interface with the air.

Transferring the liquid to another container or yourself, as I think you mean when mixing your Tom Ford fragrances, by means of a dropper would, over many transfers, cause some of the fragrance to cling to the outside and inside of the dropper and you would lose a very small amount each time you made a transfer. Unless you used a dropper in the same bottle many, many times the overall loss would be negligible.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th February 2014 at 01:34 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thanks everybody. A little more educated and a little wiser now too.

I prefer diffusing the scent by spraying everything from colognes to EdP's, while dabbing anything close to an extrait de parfum.

An atomizer brings out the life of a fragrance far better than dabbing. Fragrances that were generally lifeless dabbing completely woke up with an atomizer. Dabbing gives me a sense of a fragrance, but I can't truly judge it until I spray it.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I prefer atomizer. Hands down.
    No question. Dabbing (daubing?) sucks. Atomizers all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Don't forget that it is still the same amount of air transferred to each bottle. The only difference is shaking or flipping the splash bottle might offer more of the surface area of the liquid to interface with the air.
    To go even further with your conclusion, the surface area wouldn't matter if the air above the liquid was already saturated with evaporated air - which is likely the case.

I prefer spraying. I daubbed Jicky extrait today and I think it would have projected better if it was sprayed. I originally sampled the extrait in spray form and now own a small splash bottle that just doesn't seem as potent.

As our own Larimar explains, Jicky is quite a special case of extrait because it's very soft and needs liberal application. Other extraits might be different.

cacio

Equally liking both. Both methods have their own advantages to it and both have, in different ways, a fascinating tactility, mechanics, thrill to them.

Basenotes Junkie

atomizer for me. I even save a couple empty sephora/nordstroms sample vials/atomizers for samples that don't have sprayers. Nothing as nice as a really good atomizer (Narcisso Rodrigues might be the best I've found yet)

rick